Sleep vs Shut Down

What is the longest you've ever had it on continuously for?

I think I've clocked up 9 days and 10 hours or so and that is my personal record which I am not in a hurry to break.

I had a windows 2000 system running for 3 years straight, at one time.  It was a file server.  I don't think I've ever gotten over that time, but I know I have had several well over a year... most of the restarts are from power outages longer than the UPS can handle or me working on the equipment (dust removal, upgrade, et cetra).

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

-=|Fighting computer ignorance since 1995|=-

I had a windows 2000 system running for 3 years straight, at one time.  It was a file server.  I don't think I've ever gotten over that time, but I know I have had several well over a year... most of the restarts are from power outages longer than the UPS can handle or me working on the equipment (dust removal, upgrade, et cetra).

Your electricity bill lol :P

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Your electricity bill lol :P

quite low.  I don't run those fecking stupid 1000w psus and triple video cards others do.  My gaming PC takes about 1A out of the wall while gaming, for example, monitor included.

I am a female pc hardware expert and enthusiast, over 170 IQ, been in the tech scene since the 80s. get over it.  This message brought to you by me being tired of people which have problems with any of those things.   ~Jaqie Fox

Depends for me, I could leave it on for a week or 2, and then turn it off. Depends what I have running on the machine.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I use to run my Athlon 64 machine 24/7 and it ran from like 2006 to 2012 and the parts are still in excellent condition (anti-static bag in my closet). Tho my main rig now I do leave run 1x/7 tho I have the power options set to put the machine to sleep after 1 hour. So I go to bed and roughly an hour later the machine will go to sleep too. Main reason is I want to save on the wear and tear of the components and they aren't very power efficient either.

So yeah, need to add a "other" option to the poll.

8ZYzM.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

24/7 isn't needed anymore with ssd boot drives. It's not like the 90s where it could take almost 10 mins to boot up a Win 95/98 machine and almost as long to switch it off.

I have a CubieBoard on 24/7, but I don't want to put wear on my pc by keeping it on.

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

My pc shuts and boots up in a few seconds. So I have no reason to even leave it in sleep mode

What is the longest you've ever had it on continuously for?

I think I've clocked up 9 days and 10 hours or so and that is my personal record which I am not in a hurry to break.

Jeez idk, it's not really something I've ever thought about, I probably leave it on for weeks without even realizing/thinking about it. 

I'd say the longest would probably be around a month and only because I wanted to restart after installing all the crap I download 24/7. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

Jeez idk, it's not really something I've ever thought about, I probably leave it on for weeks without even realizing/thinking about it. 

I'd say the longest would probably be around a month and only because I wanted to restart after installing all the crap I download 24/7. 

I forget about mine too lol I leave mine on 24/7 because I run a teamspeak server for LTT off it, before I watercooled I'd turn it off at night so It wouldn't make any noise. But after I watercooled, it makes zero noise above ambient noise so I just leave it on now so everyone on TS can use it no matter what time it is.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

24/7 isn't needed anymore with ssd boot drives. It's not like the 90s where it could take almost 10 mins to boot up a Win 95/98 machine and almost as long to switch it off.

Yup, agreed. Rarely ever use Hibernate anymore because it loads so quickly

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Is that 31 days?

Years... 

YEARS? DAFUQ?

Sarcasm was implicit... ;)

Most peoples computers probably use around 75watts at idle (even less if in hibernation). So unless you get charged a ridiculous amount of money for electricity, it pretty much costs nothing.

Leaving your PC does put wear on the parts, but it's nothing you'll ever notice. The Hard Drive would be the only thing I would be considered about leaving on (you can set it to spin down after X amount of minutes)

I wouldn't even worry about hackers getting into your computer unless you're someone important (let's face it, Linus and Luke are the only semi-important people on this forum)

75 watts is a lot of power. That's 54 kWhrs a month.

75 watts is a lot of power. That's 54 kWhrs a month.

Which where I live is only 4.32 dollars. 

I used to only leave it on when I was using it, but now I use it as a NAS (With the D:\ RAID 0 drives shared in windows settings) and also as a Plex media server. Soon, I will buy/bild a REAL NAS and actually turn it off.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

My PC is only on when I am using it and off all other time

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Well, this is a startling revelation.

I've always been told that power cycles are bad for pretty much everything in your computer. Like SSD, CPU (model dependent), PSU and especially HDDs. That's why I try to always leave my computer on for 12 hours usually. I used to leave it on 24 hours a day for about two or three days in a row then shut it down.

I suppose that electricity is not that expensive where I live so idk.

Well, this is a startling revelation.

I've always been told that power cycles are bad for pretty much everything in your computer. Like SSD, CPU (model dependent), PSU and especially HDDs. That's why I try to always leave my computer on for 12 hours usually. I used to leave it on 24 hours a day for about two or three days in a row then shut it down.

I suppose that electricity is not that expensive where I live so idk.

You are correct.  Thermal shock is bad, possibly one of the worst long-term problems for modern electronics, short of tin whiskers and electromigration.

Such subjects are beyond the attention span casual learning capacity of most people though, so they choose to ignore them completely.

Such subjects are beyond the attention span casual learning capacity of most people though, so they choose to ignore them completely.

Because these kinds of things are common knowledge and found out about easily. No need to be condescending about it, everyone starts somewhere.

Just curious - does it cost a noticeable amount to leave it on? Does it wear anything out? Does it put it more at risk to hackers if it is always on?

As far as im aware, all it does is run up electric bill (Depending on how much your computer eats up, and it can kill Mechanical Hardrives or at least make them drastically slower than they already are

Because these kinds of things are common knowledge and found out about easily. No need to be condescending about it, everyone starts somewhere.

I find the opposite, and being condescending was *NOT* my intent, just trying to be blunt about my experiences.

I have more than once had to prove to someone that electromigration was real and an actual cause of in-chip breakage over time, for example. I learned to just not expect people to want to hear about such things, because of just this reason.

I was just stating my experience, not trying to be condescending, was way not my intent.  I'm bad about that >.<

it can kill Mechanical Hardrives or at least make them drastically slower than they already are

OK, this is really just plain wrong. I know for a fact that turning your computer on and off and on and off harms HDD no matter the model. Same goes for HDDs that aren't manually configured in windows to always remain operating; in an SSD + HDD system the HDD can constantly spin down and cycle on again when not in use. This is the reason why Green drives are so bad.

Mine is an old Athlon 64 x2 originally at stock speed of 2.7Ghz ... OC'd to 3.0 Ghz on air cooling...

I choose sleep mode in Win 8 and just hit the power button when I want to go back on it...