Why are you not pissed at Nvidia?

Izaya Orihara

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

If you expected a massive performance increase when we knew it would go to maxwell meaning it would be more focused on power draw and TDP then you just disappointed yourself

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The benchmarks show the same frame-rate or 10 FPS more i'm a little shocked as to why everybody is raving about the power consumption as well I get it's a beast overclocker but it's not the 980 it should of been... besides you own a gaming rig... with a top of the line GPU I don't think you are going to worry about the power -_-

Because it has similar performance with less power consumption and less heat output.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I am pissed about the 980 price.  But im willing to see if that develops in the next few months. Looking forward to even more benchmarks and reviews too. ' I didn't expect much higher performance to be honest. Did I want more? It doesn't seem to be less than the performance jump from 600 to 700, and as soon as I knew it would be the same die size, I kinda knew it would not be massive.

the 970 however, is very impressively priced in terms of performance.. Really a bargain.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

its not their fault

TSMC AFAIK is only making 20nm for SoCs now

rushing at 20nm will cost them $500 million (thats what i read)

must wait for next gen i guess

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If you expected a massive performance increase when we knew it would go to maxwell meaning it would be more focused on power draw and TDP then you just disappointed yourself

I did not expect a massive performance increase but I expected a performance increase. 

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

You compared a 780Ti that went down in price over 160EUR last Saturday. You should look at the averages, not the lowest prices. Also, look at launch prices not prices after 6 months. Finally, you have to realize that everything hardware is always much more expensive in Germany and other European countries than in the USA for example. 

I am pissed that the performance isn't a bigger gap, if at all. I am not worried about the prices though, cause the RUMORS were all applicable to american prices and after all just rumors. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Well i can't afford/need a new card so i don't care right now.. 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Waiting for the 980ti.  Then I will share my feelings.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I did not expect a massive performance increase but I expected a performance increase. 

And the 980 beats the 780 and trades with the 780 Ti and even beats it on multiple occasions. I call that an increase

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Because it has similar performance with less power consumption and less heat output.

Most of us are enthusiasts and since when do enthusiast give a crap about powerconsumtion? 

To be honest even 970 isn't cheaper than 770 here in the UK. I can get a 770 for £215 here on scan, yet a 970 is £257. And the 980 and 780ti are similarly priced, so nothing worthwhile there for me really. I'd rather wait for the 960, as that's more my price bracket. So long as it is similar in price to the R9 270X/285.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Waiting for the 980ti.  Then I will share my feelings.

is that actually going to be a thing?

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

I already posted this elsewhere, but I'm going to copy-paste it here again because I think that people make a WAAAAY too big deal out of power consumption:

Here's the thing about this whole power-draw thing: if your R9 290X runs cool and quiet enough for you, which any R9 290X with a custom cooler should do, its really not that big of a deal. I'll explain:

Lets say the 290X has a TDP roughly 100W higher than the GTX 980, which is fairly accurate.

So you're using roughly 100W more under full load, that's 0.1 kW. Now lets say you use the card at full load for 2 hours a day. That's 62 hours a month. 100*62 = 6200 = 6.2 kWh/month, meaning your R9 290X uses about 6 kWh more per month than the GTX 980. Now lets say you live in the US, where the average price per kWh is $0.12.

That's $0.72 you're paying monthly for the extra 100W consumed by the R9 290X. Is that worth buying a new card? That's up to you, but I don't think the difference in power consumption deserves the hype it currently is getting, especially when you consider that most R9 290Xs run below 80°C under load, making them in no way critically hot.

Other than heat output, which can be handled by a larger/better cooler, power consumption is not THAT big of a deal. Its obviously an advantage, but I don't see why Nvidia would put power consumption above performance as a top priority.

I didnt expect it to much faster in the beginning anyways. The 780ti doesnt beat it "more often than not". Power efficiency is still highly relevant. Using UK prices isnt an accurate representation. 

In my own testing (Yes I already have a 980) my 780ti beats it more often than not. 

2. In the UK you pay in Pounds not in €. 

3. It is an accurate representation of how it is here. Only looking at  US pricing is exactly as inacurate. 

And the 980 beats the 780 and trades with the 780 Ti and even beats it on multiple occasions. I call that an increase

In my own testing (Yes I already have a 980) my 780ti beats it more often than not. 

i'm not mad cause prices are inflated at the moment. plus its meant to replace the 780 so looking at how much of an upgrade that is it looks really good. plus all those new features or whatever. people are willing to buy this at a higher price. if you are not then wait for it to get lower or forget about it. there really is no reason to be mad over something like this

I already posted this elsewhere, but I'm going to copy-paste it here again because I think that people make a WAAAAY too big deal out of power consumption:

Other than heat output, which can be handled by a larger/better cooler, power consumption is not THAT big of a deal. Its obviously an advantage, but I don't see why Nvidia would put power consumption above performance as a top priority.

Forgot to thank you for posting that on my thread, was quite informative.

CPU -  Intel i7 4770k 4.6Ghz     Motherboard - MSI GD-65    RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB     GPU - XFX 295x2    Case - NZXT H440  

Storage - 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 ssd, 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm    PSU -  EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2  Cooling - Corsair H80i     Keyboard - KGParadise v60 w/ cherry mx greens

Mouse -Theron  Sound - HyperX Cloud

Number one, there is only one driver release for the 900 series. There will likely be a little bit better performance down the road. Just because it's just about neck-and-neck with the 780ti doesn't mean anything at this point.

Secondly, Nvidia did not claim that the 900 series would be cheaper. This is why I don't like rumors being posted here because someone will believe it, since you apparently didn't read into the context of anything when those threads were being posted a while back. No such statement was mentioned by Nvidia at all, to my knowledge anyways.

Most of us are enthusiasts and since when do enthusiast give a crap about powerconsumtion? 

Non enthusiast would give a crap about power consumption because they most likely don't have a large or good quality power supply and or are using a craptastic OEM machine form the like of Emachines and do not have the supplemental power to run a proper GPU.Myself as an enthusiast I don't care about power requirements because I have a quality and large output PSU just give me a GPU that makes the games run smoothly dammit.