Why are you not pissed at Nvidia?

Izaya Orihara

Wow. You bring up so many valid points in this elaborated post. Not. 

i am just saying it is more powerful then a 780ti with much less power and has many new features

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

It's not really apples to oranges though; it was 780 Ti, 780, 770, 760 last gen. Right now it's 980, 970, 960. Why would I compare the 770 to the 970? Even though they have the same naming "scheme" doesn't mean that they are in the same class as the previous gen. 780 Ti was flagship, 780 was under the 780 Ti, 770 was under 780 = 980 is flagship, 970 is under the 980, and the 960 is under the 970. 960 is going to be the card that is "actually" competing with the 770. 

Sure when you go by naming schemes it looks like a huge improvement, but when you go by the order it was last generation and directly compare the cards based on that order it doesn't translate to significant improvements.

The 970 only offers compelling performance over its predecessor if you are comparing it to the 770. Which as I stated above doesn't really make much sense based on last generation's order of cards. 

GTX 770 and GTX 970 don't only have the same number, also the same price. 970 is clearly the successor for the ~300 dollar price range, and clearly has much improved performance over the previous card in that price range (the gtx 770).

Dude Nvidia had already annouced even before the 900 series was launched thaqt the new  cards they were preparing was coing to be concentratied on lower power consumtion and trying to match to AMD's bang for the buck thinking.

It's only the refrence cards at the moment don't judge the 980s prices yet  when the GTX 780 came out the refrence ones were more expensive  then the MSI ones too.

you never know the 980s price may drop like what happened when the sub retailers put their own coolers on

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

I am actually very pleased with Nvidia because of the amazing TDP of these cards. Its a godsend since I live inside an oven and we get screwed with the cost of electricity here.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

GTX 770 and GTX 970 don't only have the same number, also the same price. 970 is clearly the successor for the ~300 dollar price range, and clearly has much improved performance over the previous card in that price range (the gtx 770).

So by your logic the 780 Ti doesn't exist. 

At leased they offered the 970 which sets a new price/performance bar.

Isn't it about on par with the 290 in terms of price / performance?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Isn't it about on par with the 290 in terms of price / performance?

yep, for now. the power consumption is much, much. much lower though

So by your logic the 780 Ti doesn't exist. 

No, I am just comparing cards that are actually in the same price range. The GTX 770 and GTX 970 both targeted the same price range, in my book that make them the same class..

And what the hell does the 780ti have to do with anything when we are talking about the 300 dollar price range?

No, I am just comparing cards that are actually in the same price range. The GTX 770 and GTX 970 both targeted the same price range, in my book that make them the same class..

In your book translates to clearly buying into their marketing strategies. 

Wow, you must have cheap ass power. -_-

If you were a fucking college student who was barely making minimum wage, it would matter, since not everyone has cheap power like you do, apparently.

If your were as you say a college student that can barley afford to pay a power bill then you would not be in the market for a high powered GPU in the first place cause you would not have the funds. See the logic. Heck if you were in college I would think you would be worried more about your studies than about how many FPS you are getting in Crysis ... another tid bit of logic.

In your book translates to clearly buying into their marketing strategies. 

I'm just making the sensible comparison, The GTX 770/GTX 970 cards both clearly target the ~300 dollar price range, hence comparing the GTX 970 as the successor to the GTX 770 makes a lot more sense then comparing it to the 780/780ti.

I'm sure there will be higher end maxwell cards to come. They've transitioned from a top down to a bottom up release strategy, I highly doubt the 970 and 980 will be the most powerful maxwell cards. There really hasn't been any successor the the 780ti released yet.  The 970 is faster than the GTX 770, and the 980 is faster than the GTX 780, there's really nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

Except they did the same thing to 780 owners, charge them $650 at launch for a 780 then months down the road release a product that performs identical to it for $300 less (970). I only payed $440 for my 780 but knowing I could have saved almost $100 more is a bit frustrating. Many users got the short end of the stick from nVidia marketing strategies, and it shouldn't be glorified in any manner. What about the people that bought 770's? Charging them $350 for a 770 sometimes more and then they release a product for the same amount of money that performs as well as a 780.  

It would be a totally different story if the cards performed 20% better than the 780 and 780 Ti did, and they charged similar prices to the 700 series. That would be understandable and acceptable. But they didn't even do that. All they did was release products that perform the same for less money. Which is disappointing and aggravating. 

Then months from now you are going to get a full die Maxwell chip, and then milk all the people who bought the 980 at launch. 

It is up to the consumer to decide weather a video card series is worth buying into. I seen that the nvidia 7xx series was a big fat fail from the standpoint of value for money so I simply choose to not buy one. That said I am getting a STRIX 970 because this time the price/performance is bang on.

If your were as you say a college student that can barley afford to pay a power bill then you would not be in the market for a high powered GPU in the first place cause you would not have the funds. See the logic. Heck if you were in college I would think you would be worried more about your studies than about how many FPS you are getting in Crysis ... another tid bit of logic.

This^ if you can't afford your power bill why bother buying a high end in the first place?

This^ if you can't afford your power bill why bother buying a high end in the first place?

I guess in some peoples minds it is better to spend large on a high end set of cookware but not have enough money left over for the food to cook it in LOL. 

I'm just making the sensible comparison, The GTX 770/GTX 970 cards both clearly target the ~300 dollar price range, hence comparing the GTX 970 as the successor to the GTX 770 makes a lot more sense then comparing it to the 780/780ti.

I'm sure there will be higher end maxwell cards to come. They've transitioned from a top down to a bottom up release strategy, I highly doubt the 970 and 980 will be the most powerful maxwell cards. There really hasn't been any successor the the 780ti released yet.  The 970 is faster than the GTX 770, and the 980 is faster than the GTX 780, there's really nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

If you think there's nothing to get bothered over, then you obviously don't understand the OP or anything I've said so far. 

As we check more and more benchmarks you are right. New naming, better power consumption, less heat output, but not a huge improvements in the performance. I currently have a 760 and I'm quite satisfied with it. Even if I had the money to invest I wouldn't upgrade right now. Let's atleast hope that prices will drop soon enaught to be worth wile having a 900 series card

Many of You are getting it wrong... If you go by your logics you are just beating yourself with your own lack of understanding.

Nvidia deserves praise for this very good launch.

The problem is expecting all new tech to be "flagship". Or maybe more appropriately, every "flagship" must be the best.

The problem is expecting all new tech to be "flagship". Or maybe more appropriately, every "flagship" must be the best.

GTX 980 is faster and cheaper than a 780ti and that's a big win end of story. Not to mention the 970 is the best price/performance card ever from nvidia and kills off the competition from AMD. Add to this the fact that these are brand new cards with brand new drivers and the value increases as the drivers become mature and they are able to really push this new architecture. This is a great release from nvidia and my saying this means something cause I bashed and hated nvidia hard for the fail 7xx series cards and now here I am an owner of a nice 970.

You guys really need to read the other posts I have made in this thread. I was not expecting it to destory the 780ti but I expected an improvement. In my own testing (780ti at 1300 mhz vs 980 at 1526 mhz) my 780ti beats it more often than not. 

1500 mhz seems pretty normal for a 980, 1300mhz however is pretty crazy in terms of a 780ti overclock...

Not surprised that nvidia released a 980.. and that it's performance is mehh. I'm still waiting for nvidia to release their 20nm GPU's to replace my ancient 580.

I feel as if most people are upgrading for bragging rights gotta add an extra 200 to that 780 right?

But hey, it makes more sense to buy a 980 over the 780ti since it's considerably a lot cheaper.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

Not surprised that nvidia released a 980.. and that it's performance is mehh. I'm still waiting for nvidia to release their 20nm GPU's to replace my ancient 580.

I feel as if most people are upgrading for bragging rights gotta add an extra 200 to that 780 right?

But hey, it makes more sense to buy a 980 over the 780ti since it's considerably a lot cheaper.

Plus the new Maxwell are supposed to replace gtx 780 and 770 since they are discontinued

The running cost is almost nothing unless you live in Ontario in which case yeah it feels like it adds up. 

Fine then less noise he

The only thing that the 980 has going for it is the fact that people are doing almost 1500MHz Core clocks on Air, but the problem is even a 780 Ti with a minor overclock nearly matches it:

1440P Heaven Benchmarks:

EVGA 980 SC, stock boosting to 1366MHz:

j0ejoh.png

EVGA 980 SC OCed to 1480 core / 7600 memory:

1222flx.png

GTX 780 Ti @ 1175 core / 6400 memory:

2yn2o8p.png

GTX 780 Ti @ 1294 core / 7000 memory:

2iswefq.jpg

Even an overclock of 1294MHz on a 780 Ti destroys the 980. 

I am not trying to make jest of you good sir but I really think you're missing the point. Nvidia similarly to Intel are not trying to make the faster architecture, they're trying to make the better one. They are targeting the problems that have crept up on us like gpu's that require excessive amounts of power. Like the gtx 780ti (not bad in comparison to it's performance but still far too high for the standard gaming consumer) for example or the 295 x2. By increasing efficiency they push towards things like dual processor cards becoming mundane, while maintaining and possibly surpassing the standards (Waste output noise etc.) we have today. Sure enough this looks like a side step but if you stopped looking at numbers on benchmarks you'll see that they didn't do another "680 780". If we continued along the turbulent path of stick more fans in(3x coolers should stop at 3x), and more noise dampening foam, and a higher wattage power supply, and another 8 pin power connector, then we would be bound to come across dark days.

Yours Sincerely: B1ack0ut

Fine then less noise he

I am not trying to make jest of you good sir but I really think you're missing the point. Nvidia similarly to Intel are not trying to make the faster architecture, they're trying to make the better one. They are targeting the problems that have crept up on us like gpu's that require excessive amounts of power. Like the gtx 780ti (not bad in comparison to it's performance but still far too high for the standard gaming consumer) for example or the 295 x2. By increasing efficiency they push towards things like dual processor cards becoming mundane, while maintaining and possibly surpassing the standards (Waste output noise etc.) we have today. Sure enough this looks like a side step but if you stopped looking at numbers on benchmarks you'll see that they didn't do another "680 780". If we continued along the turbulent path of stick more fans in(3x coolers should stop at 3x), and more noise dampening foam, and a higher wattage power supply, and another 8 pin power connector, then we would be bound to come across dark days.

Yours Sincerely: B1ack0ut

Faster is better. If it's not significantly faster then I really don't care what changes they make. To each their own.