Why are you not pissed at Nvidia?

Izaya Orihara

You don't even look at benchmarks before you post:

That's the clock speeds. They are running the 780 Ti at stock base clock speeds from the factory. Who gives a crap about stock versus stock? Match the 780 Ti clockspeeds to the 980 and it loses every single time.

Once again you compare apples to oranges. Sorry but 980 is better than 780ti cause it runs games with increased framerate. .... How this is accomplished does not matter. Go take your higher core count and crappier performance and be happy ... The rest of us will buy a 980 and get better performance and drivers in games we actually play.

Compares the lowest current 780ti price(which was more a month ago) versus a newly released flagship card... BRAVO. Say again why should we be "pissed" about? When it's you who expected a big jump from a 780ti(less than a year card) to a 900 series.

You call yourself an enthusiast with that mentality?, that "I can spend a ton-crap of money every year so I must be an real enthusiast" mentality? An enthusiast is not made by the amount of money he/she can spend on a system to the point that doesn't even care about power consumption. It's made purely by the love, passion and understanding of PC systems in general. 

I won't have any respect to anyone owning a 780ti/Titan Black and expected a big jump in performance, enjoy your 700 series card and wait for the next series for a better performance boost(common sense).

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Compares the lowest current 780ti price

Now open mind and compare MSRP release date brand new 780ti to GTX 980 price.

What you can't afford another 13cents a month to pay for your hobby ... crap PC gaming is a really cheap hobby in relativity.

People that don't have a ton of cash, or have expensive power...

Then have fun gaming on an iGPU. 

Whatever. You clearly can't see both sides of the fucking argument.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

ur wrong its good and so many new features that are amazing clearly u know nothing so now i mad at u there are so many new feature to make games look better it is ridiculous

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Once again you compare apples to oranges. Sorry but 980 is better than 780ti cause it runs games with increased framerate. .... How this is accomplished does not matter. Go take your higher core count and crappier performance and be happy ... The rest of us will buy a 980 and get better performance and drivers in games we actually play.

They make it an apples to oranges comparison by clocking the 980 so high, and clocking the 780 Ti so low. It doesn't run games with an increased framerate even when the 980 is overclocked to the moon and the 780 Ti has a mediocre overclock. Do you even bother to look at the information you are presented with or are you just that ignorant? 

Higher score count means better performance. That better performance will translate in games also. Stop being a troll you are terrible at it. Two days ago it was "nvidiot this" "nvidiot that" "stupid nvidia owners" "go amd they are the bestest" now you are in their butthole about a subpar performing product. Brilliant back-peddle. 

People that don't have a ton of cash, or have expensive power...

What you can't hustle up an extra 2 dollars a year to pay for your addiction to PC games ?

Reference 980 costs LESS and performs the same or better what I'm I missing here ... ?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/10

Nvidia smites all the 780 Ti owners by charging them $700 at launch, then releasing a new product that performs the same as it does at stock clocks months later for $150 less and we should praise them for it? 

Nvidia smites all the 780 Ti owners by charging them $700 at launch, then releasing a new product that performs the same as it does at stock clocks months later for $150 less and we should praise them for it? 

970 seem like a good prorogation !

my answer might be more unusual than everyone else but I wasnt watching the 980, 970 or even the 750 ti and 750 strictly on performance but more on the performance per watts. I dont have money like that to change my perfectly working CX430 all for the reason of running a higher end gpu for bragging rights on 1080p and less resolutions, too much work for vain gain for someone in the caribbean......so seeing the power draws of the gpus, im just looking at the sweetspot of the lower tiers like the gtx 960 when it comes out, in the hopes that it will use 1 6 pin and have performance range of 760 - 770. that's my reason of caring about maxwell. 980 matching a 780 ti is of no issue but matching it with gtx 670 power draws impresses me

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

I bought a GTX980 2way SLI today and I must say this card is very impressive. I can beat my GTX780Ti 2way SLI in many benchmarks, but to be honest it is just a very small lead.

The reason why I bought that was because I wanted to see myself how GM204 performes against GK110 and I will keep the GTX980s. Not because of efficiency or running cooler, I will put them under water anyways.

But the price for me was too good to resist (a piece for me 440€) and I can almost OC under air up to 1500MHz. I believe I can go further under water.

And if you ask yourself now how I could get this price, well that happens when you live in the USA and earn your money in Euros ;)

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

It is a leap for its sized and power also all the new tech. For me with 2x670's 2x980's is a pretty large jump up. Also US prices are quite a bit different then thpse euro prices.

Let me guess you say the same thing about intel as well. Also have you looked at previous launches rarely ever within recent years has there bee a leap in performance unless you consoer the titan and the 110 cards at their significantly higher price points. Actually there were cards up there before bit they were all dual gpu like amds current offerings.

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

Well, that's your fault for not looking at what the 750ti brought to the table.... I don't think anyone in their right mind honestly thought the 980 would beat up the 780ti. Okay maybe not LOSING to it but if you OC them (And if you're getting a 980 and not overclocking it then shame on you!) they perform about the same. I'm not mad because they did the best they could with what they had. They couldn't shrink the manufacturing process like they did with fermi to kepler. So they couldn't really jam more cuda cores in there. For what they were trying to do they did great. They made incredibly efficient cards in the 980 and 970. They can actually compete with AMD now, where before unless you wanted Nvidia features or were worried about power consumption there really was no reason to go Nvidia. Now Nvidia costs simular, has the same Vram amount, the cores are stronger and of top of all that it consumes almost half the power of the AMD cards! It was an evolutionary step. I still think they did well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already working on the 980ti, even if it's only on paper at this point.

There's always a market for high-end refresh, money be damned. If Nvidia pushes the 980ti out at $700usd it will be bought and it'll be worth it (for Nvidia).

The only stopping power isn't AMD. It's if Nvidia dumps all resources into Pascal and the next process shrink.

We don't usually get TI models, but maybe you are right.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

The Ti model is not going to be mentioned until after they see what AMD produces.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

The 980 makes me scratch my head.  Performance is weird across the board against the 780Ti.  Reduced power consumption is cool, I get it, but I thought that currently Nvidia is in a position to just sit back and rake in the Kepler money.  TSMC has frustrated both them and AMD lately so I really think they should've just held back until they did not have to redesign for 28nm.  On the other hand, you don't have to be angry at Nvidia.  In a way it's not their fault, TSMC just won't produce 20nm for GPUs and using other fabs like Intel will come at a much higher cost.  And here's the problem, unless AMD magically finds a way to produce 20nm on mass for the 3xx series, they're going to run into the same problem too.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

They packed quite a bit more into these...and whats wrong with cheaper, even if there aren't HUGE performance boosts, there are some.  The MFAA sounds very promising as well, and looks like there is pretty large performance boost there. 

My question is, why ARE YOU pissed at NVidia?  You really have no reason to be, at all.  Did they somehow rip you off?  Do they have a gun pointed at your head saying "buy this...or else"?  If they wait a few years to release a new line, you guys complain.  If they put out a new line sooner, with less of a margin between them and the last line, you are complaining, even though its cheaper!  Put down your torches and pitchforks, there is no monster in the hills, and noone is trying to steal from you.  Personally, im thinking of happily jumping on the 970, as it should have a pretty big increase over my 760, but I'm going to wait for some real world tests first to see how they do, as it IS release day, and noone really knows yet what these cards are going to do in the world.  Maybe its time to jump back to AMD for awhile, IDK yet, but whatever I do, I'm not going to be mad at the GPU manufacturer for releasing a better card for me to purchase, that is cheaper.

AMD might be a big competitor because with their new deal with Synopsis they're saying they might go for 20nm on the next amd series, and the leaks and rumors (which have some actual substance to them) imply it's gonna be water-cooled reference, and the way Tonga went(More efficiency but also more horsepower in a smaller form factor) Nvidia may have the hype now but it might be shorter lived than initially thought...Think about it being first to go with a smaller FAB size(Speculation based off their deal with Synopsis) Water-cooled reference(based off deal with ace tech) and with the fact they're last card was a step in the right direction shit may just go good...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

ohh come on it's not like nvidia did not push performance the last 5 years ,getting lower power consumption is good once in a while 

I thought that currently Nvidia is in a position to just sit back and rake in the Kepler money. 

They were actually losing large amounts of money on they're Kepler chips the chips in the GK110 were about ~600mm^2 and to put this into perspective the Hawaii chip of the 290/290x/295x2 is only just over 400mm^2 and AMD; Nvidia was set up to where they made money on Titans(and Blacks) and lost money on 780s(and tis) and hope for it to balance out but it didn't and they had to cut prices several times to compete with AMD's pricings the amount of materials it cost to build the GK110 wasn't worth the risk cause if they failed it was costly and if it wasn't perfect they had to make it a 780 and lose money that's why the second they dropped maxwell chips they discontinued every GK110 that wasn't a Titan....They'd rather break-even/make little profit on Maxwell atm then risk GK110s that are made for titans instead sitting til they are forced to sell them as 780s and lose money...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

They were actually losing large amounts of money on they're Kepler chips the chips in the GK110 were about ~600mm^2 and to put this into perspective the Hawaii chip of the 290/290x/295x2 is only just over 400mm^2 and AMD; Nvidia was set up to where they made money on Titans(and Blacks) and lost money on 780s(and tis) and hope for it to balance out but it didn't and they had to cut prices several times to compete with AMD's pricings the amount of materials it cost to build the GK110 wasn't worth the risk cause if they failed it was costly and if it wasn't perfect they had to make it a 780 and lose money that's why the second they dropped maxwell chips they discontinued every GK110 that wasn't a Titan....They'd rather break-even/make little profit on Maxwell atm then risk GK110s that are made for titans instead sitting til they are forced to sell them as 780s and lose money...

True, GK110 is a very costly chip, so this does make a lot of sense, though I would argue that Nvidia could probably take large hits on consumer chip margins (dem Quadros), hell they must be losing money hand over fist investing in Shield.  980 still makes me scratch my head though, not enough to make me pissed though. 

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

True, GK110 is a very costly chip, so this does make a lot of sense, though I would argue that Nvidia could probably take large hits on consumer chip margins (dem Quadros), hell they must be losing money hand over fist investing in Shield.  980 still makes me scratch my head though, not enough to make me pissed though. 

Other than in the 700 series Nvidia has usually made the majority of their money in consumer chips mostly cause they sell more consumer chips at a smaller margin  but in the 700 series Nvidia lost money on consumer chips which that combined with things like Shield probably back fired on them, infact if somehow for somereason Nvidia and AMD weren't allowed to release they're new cards for 5 years after last gen (700 and 200 series) Nvidia might not have made it to the 900 series just trying to compete with AMD's pricings... which this combined with TMSC as you previously pointed out's refusal todo 20nm kinda forced Nvidia to take the 980 route... but AMD seemingly has found a way (or two) around this...