Why are you not pissed at Nvidia?

Izaya Orihara

If you expected a massive performance increase when we knew it would go to maxwell meaning it would be more focused on power draw and TDP then you just disappointed yourselfI agrr

I agree we all seen this coming!

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

You're forgetting that the 980 is produced using the same lithographic manufacturing process of 28nm, and also has significantly less cores than the 780ti.  This is more an indication of what the Maxwell architecture and thereafter is capable of.  The most exciting thing in my opinion is the competitively pricing at launch!  

No hate for Nvidia from me.

I bought a GTX980 2way SLI today and I must say this card is very impressive. I can beat my GTX780Ti 2way SLI in many benchmarks, but to be honest it is just a very small lead.

The reason why I bought that was because I wanted to see myself how GM204 performes against GK110 and I will keep the GTX980s. Not because of efficiency or running cooler, I will put them under water anyways.

But the price for me was too good to resist (a piece for me 440€) and I can almost OC under air up to 1500MHz. I believe I can go further under water.

And if you ask yourself now how I could get this price, well that happens when you live in the USA and earn your money in Euros ;) .

Where did you get it for 440 euros?

If I can get it for that price I might be interested in buying them too, but not for the 560+ euro it's at atm.

Im not pissed at Nvidia because I didn't really expect much out of the 980. Its basically just a slightly cheaper 780ti with a slight performance increase.

People keep going on about TDP and power consumption. While its nicer to have lower TDP, I don't really get all the fuss. It just doesn't seem like something that has much practical relevance and it seems like its only being emphasized because Nvidia keeps touting it. The 980 still requires the same minimum power supply as the 780ti, or for that matter the 290x, and there doesn't seem to be the huge improvement in temperatures I kind of expected. I haven't read a lot about the 980s OCing performance so far, but what I have read made it seem like it wasn't any real improvement over the 780ti, which is also surprising.

I think what this has done is left AMD an opening with the r9 390x, which should completely destroy the 980 and then some.

I am impressed with the 970 though.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Will consumers ever learn?

Nvidia are repeating the con they did with the 680; use a gk x04 chip as the flagship rather than a x10 but still charge a premium for it!

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

What did we get then?

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move.

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Tell me all about it.

Grow up. Drivers will mature. It's a lower price per performance. Lower tdp. Next batch if high end will be on a smaller node so more transistors and even lower tdp

Using Tapatalk

The 980 isn't particularly impressive for the price, but they did a very good job with the price/performance on the 970. Not much slower than the 980 and only 329 dollars, which is definitely gonna put some pressure on AMD since they were becoming the go to in that price range until now..

Whatever. You clearly can't see both sides of the fucking argument.

I see your point I just wouldn't expect any enthusiast to argue in this way. I mean you are still buying the highend card when the 750ti draws a lot less power. 

ur wrong its good and so many new features that are amazing clearly u know nothing so now i mad at u there are so many new feature to make games look better it is ridiculous

Wow. You bring up so many valid points in this elaborated post. Not. 

Well, that's your fault for not looking at what the 750ti brought to the table.... I don't think anyone in their right mind honestly thought the 980 would beat up the 780ti. Okay maybe not LOSING to it but if you OC them (And if you're getting a 980 and not overclocking it then shame on you!) they perform about the same. I'm not mad because they did the best they could with what they had. They couldn't shrink the manufacturing process like they did with fermi to kepler. So they couldn't really jam more cuda cores in there. For what they were trying to do they did great. They made incredibly efficient cards in the 980 and 970. They can actually compete with AMD now, where before unless you wanted Nvidia features or were worried about power consumption there really was no reason to go Nvidia. Now Nvidia costs simular, has the same Vram amount, the cores are stronger and of top of all that it consumes almost half the power of the AMD cards! It was an evolutionary step. I still think they did well.

You guys really need to read the other posts I have made in this thread. I was not expecting it to destory the 780ti but I expected an improvement. In my own testing (780ti at 1300 mhz vs 980 at 1526 mhz) my 780ti beats it more often than not. 

For people who want a new card the GTX 980 and GTX 970 are options that offering better cooling and in some places are priced right to where you would want them over some older card of similar performance so hey there is a reason to buy but for people that were hoping for a card that would give them significant performance increases over their current high end cards well there isn't much if anything.  Am I mad at Nvidia?  Well I can understand there is too much rebadging of cards that goes on and too many cards that are similar are released but this is the way of the world as long as their is commerce.  I would love to kill commerce but I don't see it going away at any point in time soon. :S

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

You guys really need to read the other posts I have made in this thread. I was not expecting it to destory the 780ti but I expected an improvement. In my own

testing (780ti at 1300 mhz vs 980 at 1526 mhz) my 780ti beats it more often than not.

Clock per clock the 780 ti wins hands down?

Im only miffed that i got pulled into the hype train..

I was hoping for a scary base clock on the highest end card though. (1500mhz+) 
As it stands now i can just overclock my current 780..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

What you can't hustle up an extra 2 dollars a year to pay for your addiction to PC games ?

Wow, you must have cheap ass power. -_-

If you were a fucking college student who was barely making minimum wage, it would matter, since not everyone has cheap power like you do, apparently.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What did we get then? 

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Tell me all about it.

Hear hear, I completely agree with you. The performance is less than impressive.

Yep.

Damn that's depressing. Do you think the drivers will improve its performance?

I saw a review of gigabyte's G1 GAMING GTX 980 and it consumes 300 watt on full load o_o!

970 seem like a good prorogation !

Except they did the same thing to 780 owners, charge them $650 at launch for a 780 then months down the road release a product that performs identical to it for $300 less (970). I only payed $440 for my 780 but knowing I could have saved almost $100 more is a bit frustrating. Many users got the short end of the stick from nVidia marketing strategies, and it shouldn't be glorified in any manner. What about the people that bought 770's? Charging them $350 for a 770 sometimes more and then they release a product for the same amount of money that performs as well as a 780.  

It would be a totally different story if the cards performed 20% better than the 780 and 780 Ti did, and they charged similar prices to the 700 series. That would be understandable and acceptable. But they didn't even do that. All they did was release products that perform the same for less money. Which is disappointing and aggravating. 

Then months from now you are going to get a full die Maxwell chip, and then milk all the people who bought the 980 at launch. 

Except they did the same thing to 780 owners, charge them $650 at launch for a 780 then months down the road release a product that performs identical to it for $300 less (970). I only payed $440 for my 780 but knowing I could have saved almost $100 more is a bit frustrating. Many users got the short end of the stick from nVidia marketing strategies, and it shouldn't be glorified in any manner. What about the people that bought 770's? Charging them $350 for a 770 sometimes more and then they release a product for the same amount of money that performs as well as a 780.  

It would be a totally different story if the cards performed 20% better than the 780 and 780 Ti did, and they charged similar prices to the 700 series. That would be understandable and acceptable. But they didn't even do that. All they did was release products that perform the same for less money. Which is disappointing and aggravating. 

Then months from now you are going to get a full die Maxwell chip, and then milk all the people who bought the 980 at launch. 

You must get really pissed everytime you buy pc hardware then, because this happens all the time, when you buy hardware there's always something better/cheaper right around the corner lol...

I don't see why releasing a product that performs the same for less money is necessarily any worse than a release that performs better for more... Its a simple trade off. AMD's been doing this same thing with their r9 series. There's not really much choice when they are both stuck on 28nm for the time being.

I'd agree that the gtx 770 was pretty overpriced for what it was though.

I think the GTX 970 is a promising move from nvidia, its pricing/value is much improved over what we've seen from them recently.

You must get really pissed everytime you buy pc hardware then, because this happens all the time, when you buy hardware there's always something better/cheaper right around the corner lol...

I don't see why releasing a product that performs the same for less money is necessarily any worse than a release that performs better for more... Its a simple trade off. AMD's been doing this same thing with their r9 series. There's not really much choice when they are both stuck on 28nm for the time being.

I'd agree that the gtx 770 was pretty overpriced for what it was though.

I think the GTX 970 is a promising move from nvidia, its pricing/value is much improved over what we've seen from them recently.

Except in this case "better" is subjective. They aren't better, about the same performance wise, but they are cheaper. 580 to 680 was 15-20% faster, 680 to 780 was 15-20% faster, heck 680 to 780 Ti was 30-35% faster. Here we aren't really getting the same numbers that we are used to as increase in performance goes. It's not because Maxwell isn't capable of delivering more performance, it's because they aren't releasing a card with the full performance yet. 

This is the same 680 strategy that we have seen previously. They release a flagship "mid-range" GPU and charge flagship prices for it. Then months later release a big die version for slightly more money that completely blows it away performance wise. I think what the OP is saying is they should have released a more powerful version from the get go to at least made it seem like there was performance improvements. Except instead they are releasing a product that performs identical just to make money off of individuals. Which should have made people pissed, or at least somewhat bothered.

I'm not saying that what the cards deliver for the money is bad by any means. It's crazy that they are able to deliver what they can for the money. Except that's only when you ignore the history that it looks so wonderful. When you look at the launch prices of the 700 series and how long it took them to drop the prices. Compared to now when they are dropping the prices for the 900 series from the get go; should make people with some awareness a bit annoyed. 900 series owners get equability, while they shaft 700 series owners in the process. 

Even though they are stuck on 28nm, I do not believe 2048 cores is the maximum by any means of what Maxwell is capable of. 

The 970 is definitely an improvement over what nVidia has been doing recently, and it's a great value. 780 performance for much less money, with an extra gigabyte of VRAM, along with some new features. But again when you look at their recent history, the best way to put it, is it was a dick move by them. 

Except in this case "better" is subjective. They aren't better, about the same performance wise, but they are cheaper. 580 to 680 was 15-20% faster, 680 to 780 was 15-20% faster, heck 680 to 780 Ti was 30-35% faster. Here we aren't really getting the same numbers that we are used to as increase in performance goes. It's not because Maxwell isn't capable of delivering more performance, it's because they aren't releasing a card with the full performance yet. 

The problem is you are kind of comparing apples to oranges. Previously you complained that 780 > 970 is the same performance, and then here you praise 680 to 780 for being 15-20% faster. If you actually compare apples to apples (770 > 970 rather than 780 > 970), you can clearly see that the 970 absolutely does offer significantly improved performance over the 770...

The 980 on the other hand, I agree isn't as compelling, but the 970 definitely offers compelling performance over its predecessor.

I'm not saying that what the cards deliver for the money is bad by any means. It's crazy that they are able to deliver what they can for the money. Except that's only when you ignore the history that it looks so wonderful. When you look at the launch prices of the 700 series and how long it took them to drop the prices. Compared to now when they are dropping the prices for the 900 series from the get go; should make people with some awareness a bit annoyed. 900 series owners get equability, while they shaft 700 series owners in the process. 

Yeah, I agree that they definitely should have dropped prices on the 700 series earlier, that's why I bought a 280x instead of a gtx 770 :) The higher price + less vram just didn't sit well with me.

What did we get then? 

Tell me all about it.

Dude Nvidia had already annouced even before the 900 series was launched thaqt the new  cards they were preparing was coing to be concentratied on lower power consumtion and trying to match to AMD's bang for the buck thinking.

It's only the refrence cards at the moment don't judge the 980s prices yet  when the GTX 780 came out the refrence ones were more expensive  then the MSI ones too.

you never know the 980s price may drop like what happened when the sub retailers put their own coolers on

The problem is you are kind of comparing apples to oranges. Previously you complained that 780 > 970 is the same performance, and then here you praise 680 to 780 for being 15-20% faster. If you actually compare apples to apples (770 > 970 rather than 780 > 970), you can clearly see that the 970 absolutely does offer significantly improved performance over the 770...

The 980 on the other hand, I agree isn't as compelling, but the  970 absolutely offers compelling performance over its predecessor.

It's not really apples to oranges though; it was 780 Ti, 780, 770, 760 last gen. Right now it's 980, 970, 960. Why would I compare the 770 to the 970? Even though they have the same naming "scheme" doesn't mean that they are in the same class as the previous gen. 780 Ti was flagship, 780 was under the 780 Ti, 770 was under 780 = 980 is flagship, 970 is under the 980, and the 960 is under the 970. 960 is going to be the card that is "actually" competing with the 770. 

Sure when you go by naming schemes it looks like a huge improvement, but when you go by the order it was last generation and directly compare the cards based on that order it doesn't translate to significant improvements.

The 970 only offers compelling performance over its predecessor if you are comparing it to the 770. Which as I stated above doesn't really make much sense based on last generation's order of cards.