Why are you not pissed at Nvidia?

Izaya Orihara

You compared a 780Ti that went down in price over 160EUR last Saturday. You should look at the averages, not the lowest prices. Also, look at launch prices not prices after 6 months. Finally, you have to realize that everything hardware is always much more expensive in Germany and other European countries than in the USA for example. 

I am pissed that the performance isn't a bigger gap, if at all. I am not worried about the prices though, cause the RUMORS were all applicable to american prices and after all just rumors. 

I clearly stated that pricing may or may not change over time. I just stating how it currently is. 

Also I does not matter if it's Germany or the US as I'm looking at both prices in the same region. If I was to take a number from the US and one from Germany that would be an inaccurate representation. 

980 is 780ti performance for cheaper (in the UK about £30 cheaper) with less power draw, no brainer

What prices have you been looking at... 780 TI is now marked down to £320-400 and 980 is around £460

Why compare the 980 to a 780ti? The TI came out 6 months after the 780 after Nvidia squeezed everything they could from Kepler GK110, an already solid chip.

Not every tech leap is zomg amazing tho. If Nvidia shoots for more performance from Maxwell then I'd probably wait 6 months and hope for a 980ti. Otherwise most tend to skip a generation (aka wait for Pascal).

Number one, there is only one driver release for the 900 series. There will likely be a little bit better performance down the road. Just because it's just about neck-and-neck with the 780ti doesn't mean anything at this point.

Secondly, Nvidia did not claim that the 900 series would be cheaper. This is why I don't like rumors being posted here because someone will believe it, since you apparently didn't read into the context of anything when those threads were being posted a while back. No such statement was mentioned by Nvidia at all, to my knowledge anyways.

I'm looking at the current situation. If something changes I'll change it in the OP. 

Also O really? I read something about the Vice CEO stating it. Might have been fake tho. 

I'm looking at the current situation. If something changes I'll change it in the OP. 

Also O really? I read something about the Vice CEO stating it. Might have been fake tho. 

It was a rumor. You guys should start actually reading through replies on the Tech News posts because some people on this forum know when something sounds like a bunch of BS (when it's from WCCFTech and such).

There will be an effective performance increase because they GPU will not throttle as often. This is relevant to anyone that doesn't want to use a custom cooling loop and if you're willing to shell out the cash for that you'll probably be using something like the GTX Titan Black anyways. The price will almost certainly drop as more cards are made but at the moment there is a limited quantity of them.

It's something unpredictable. But in the end is right. I hope you've had the time of your life.

Most of us are enthusiasts and since when do enthusiast give a crap about powerconsumtion? 

While I agree with the point that power consumption doesn't really matter to enthusiasts, the efficiency of Maxwell could be a sign of very good things to come.

With Maxwell's current efficiency on the 28nm node, building a bigger chip with 24 SMMs (3072 cores) would -in theory- (and by "theory" I mean crappy troll math) only consume around 250W (same as 780TI) of power while giving a 50% increase in theoretical processing power.. 

Granted, simple troll math isn't any sort of accurate prediction of something as complicated as GPU manufacturing, but efficiency improvements can only mean that more performance will come -eventually- 

980 isn't a successor to 780TI; it's a spiritual successor to 680.. 780 TI cost $700 at launch (and stayed there for a long time), this costs $550. 

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Why compare the 980 to a 780ti? The TI came out 6 months after the 780 after Nvidia squeezed everything they could from Kepler GK110, an already solid chip.

Not every tech leap is zomg amazing tho. If Nvidia shoots for more performance from Maxwell then I'd probably wait 6 months and hope for a 980ti. Otherwise most tend to skip a generation (aka wait for Pascal).

Because the GTX 980 is Nvidia's highest end offering (single GPU wise) as the 780ti has been discontinued. Also  Nvidia apparently is already using all Cudacores on the 980. 

I think you're out of your mind. 

LOWER POWER CONSUMPTION WITH GREATER PERFORMANCE???  That is massive.  And those features you talked about?  Those are some really fantastic features, the features are the main selling point to me.  If there is a game that is already maxed out at 1080p, 60fps the GPU will super sample up to Ultra 4k automatically.  That is amazing.  Also, in the U.S. the price of the 980 is very fair, and once overclocked ,it will beat the 780Ti.  These cards will hit 1400+ on air, 1500+ on water. 

This is a massive, massive improvement.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

People aren't mad, mainly because few people actually bought into the smoke and mirror hype to begin with. give the maxwell a variable power draw, and it shines. put a continuous steady load on it and power draw matches kepler. the added cache, triple display ports and 4GB of video memory are the only real gains to be had with the new cards. until dx12 or the oculus comes out, its case specific as to whether someone even would want one. OGSSAA was out before maxwell as well, so the downscaling feature is meant for people that don't want to figure it out manually.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

There will be an effective performance increase because they GPU will not throttle as often. This is relevant to anyone that doesn't want to use a custom cooling loop and if you're willing to shell out the cash for that you'll probably be using something like the GTX Titan Black anyways. The price will almost certainly drop as more cards are made but at the moment there is a limited quantity of them.

I haven't seen a lot of Nvidia GPUs throttle over the last year in any case with adequate airflow. 

People aren't mad, mainly because few people actually bought into the smoke and mirror hype to begin with. give the maxwell a variable power draw, and it shines. put a continuous steady load on it and power draw matches kepler. the added cache, triple display ports and 4GB of video memory are the only real gains to be had with the new cards. until dx12 comes out, its case specific as to whether someone even would want one. OGSSAA was out before maxwell as well, so the downscaling feature is meant for people that don't want to figure it out manually.

You forgot the biggest positive of all PRICE/PERFORMANCE. GTX 970 set a new bar for price/performance !

I'm pissed at Nvidia because they're inferior to AMD

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

I haven't seen a lot of Nvidia GPUs throttle over the last year in any case with adequate airflow. 

Also, there haven't been drivers released to maximize the performance coming out of the card. Whereas the 780 Ti has had 6 months for the performance to get better.

It's something unpredictable. But in the end is right. I hope you've had the time of your life.

Most of us are enthusiasts and since when do enthusiast give a crap about powerconsumtion? 

People that pay their power bill.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I clearly stated that pricing may or may not change over time. I just stating how it currently is. 

Also I does not matter if it's Germany or the US as I'm looking at both prices in the same region. If I was to take a number from the US and one from Germany that would be an inaccurate representation. 

Well then you didn't look very closely. In the US the PNY GTX 980 is $549 (427 Euro) and the same reference design GTX 780 Ti $699 (544 Euro). In Germany the same cards are 548 Euro ($703) and 639 Euro ($820) respectively. So clearly the 980 is cheaper in both regions.

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

The 980 was definitely cheaper than the 780Ti in Denmark at release, and still is (a day or so later). The cheapest 780Ti is a couple of euros more expensive than the most expensive 980 here. According to Linus and Slicks benchmarks the 980 performs just fine trading blows with the 780Ti (admittedly this is more than I expected). You may think the power efficiency is boring but I find this extremely fucking cool. Not only does this mean that we can run them with smaller PSU's, the cooler and quiter card (which is a result of the efficiency) means that we can run the cards in more stressful environments, be this overclocking or confined spaces. Personally I'm really excited about the SFF possibilities this opens up. I could not in my wildest dreams have wished for a better card than what was released, big fucking thumbs up NVIDIA!

If you want to hate, hate yourself for having wildly unrealistic expectations.

You forgot the biggest positive of all PRICE/PERFORMANCE. GTX 970 set a new bar for price/performance !

thats only a good reason if you are looking to buy already. but it is a good reason.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I think you're out of your mind. 

LOWER POWER CONSUMPTION WITH GREATER PERFORMANCE???  That is massive.  And those features you talked about?  Those are some really fantastic features, the features are the main selling point to me.  If there is a game that is already maxed out at 1080p, 60fps the GPU will super sample up to Ultra 4k automatically.  That is amazing.  Also, in the U.S. the price of the 980 is very fair, and once overclocked ,it will beat the 780Ti.  These cards will hit 1400+ on air, 1500+ on water. 

This is a massive, massive improvement.

We already had Original Gangster SSAA for a long time. Also I don't think they should have lowered that much that they can not increase the performance compared to the last generation GPUs. 

I'm pissed at Nvidia because they're inferior to AMD

I like Radeon but the fact is the GTX 970 is a great price/performer which is a staggering feat for nvidia to accomplish for a change LOL and reason enough for me to buy one.

People that pay their power bill.

What you can't afford another 13cents a month to pay for your hobby ... crap PC gaming is a really cheap hobby in relativity.

Waiting for the 980ti.  Then I will share my feelings.

We can't be sure there will be one. Unless AMD releases something, we won't get one.

What prices have you been looking at... 780 TI is now marked down to £320-400 and 980 is around £460

In Denmark the 980 is priced about the same as the 780ti as of today.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.