Why are you not pissed at Nvidia?

Izaya Orihara

Well then you didn't look very closely. In the US the PNY GTX 980 is $549 (427 Euro) and the same reference design GTX 780 Ti $699 (544 Euro). In Germany the same cards are 548 Euro ($703) and 639 Euro ($820) respectively. So clearly the 980 is cheaper in both regions.

I am talking about the current pricing. How was that not clear? I have stated in the OP that it may or may not change in the future. 

If you can get your hands on one they were selling for £350 on Overclockers not for long though.

Meh, I'll be grabbing a 980 to go with my Acer XB280HK that I won :D

I am talking about the current pricing. How was that not clear? I have stated in the OP that it may or may not change in the future. 

this is the current pricing!

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Then have fun gaming on an iGPU. 

This LOL. Power consumption nazi's are always funny with their inane and often insane metrics on which to choose which GPUs are best.

I already posted this elsewhere, but I'm going to copy-paste it here again because I think that people make a WAAAAY too big deal out of power consumption:

Other than heat output, which can be handled by a larger/better cooler, power consumption is not THAT big of a deal. Its obviously an advantage, but I don't see why Nvidia would put power consumption above performance as a top priority.

I prefer to think of lower power consumption for smaller systems with power draw and PSU size vs cost

I prefer to think of lower power consumption for smaller systems with power draw and PSU size vs cost

agreed, but those concerns apply to maybe 10% of the people who are treating power consumption like its the biggest selling point in the world.

The problem on the 9 Series for now, is that you pay for the "new" factor...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

you are comparing two entirely different cards. Also, look at the launch prices of your 780Ti !!! Up until last week the ASUS was 604 Euro. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

As if the 680 to 780  was such an amazing improvement...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

you are comparing two entirely different cards. Also, look at the launch prices of your 780Ti !!! Up until last week the ASUS was 604 Euro. 

this is the current pricing!

How exactly is the 980 cheaper? 

look at the launch prices of your 780Ti 

You are missing the point here. 

Also the DCU II cooler is superior and normally you would actually pay a premium for it. 

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

Steps towards increasing efficiency are EXTREMELY important better performance with 130 watts less is nothing short of great. For all those people who have sli setups this is not only going to decrease running cost (more money for next graphics card) but reduces noise,heat, increase life expectancy (for card probably not you), and possibly leave more room for overclocking. The only way is up.

Steps towards increasing efficiency are EXTREMELY important better performance with 130 watts less is nothing short of great. For all those people who have sli setups this is not only going to decrease running cost (more money for next graphics card) but reduces noise,heat, increase life expectancy (for card probably not you), and possibly leave more room for overclocking. The only way is up.

The running cost is almost nothing unless you live in Ontario in which case yeah it feels like it adds up. 

$110 final price savings for me, slightly better performance. I'm not mad, I'm actually happy.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Waiting for the 980ti.  Then I will share my feelings.

Unless AMD makes the 295x or 390x, depending on how the play it, better than the 980, there won't be a 980 ti

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Many enthusiasts, including myself, have expected a leap in performance with the new GTX 900 Series. However we did not get it.

In fact a more often than not the GTX 780 Ti beats the GTX 980. 

Also Nvidia claimed that 900 Series would be cheaper... That applies for the GTX 970. But not for the GTX 980. The cheapest 780ti costs

429€ (Asus DCU II) and the cheapest GTX 980 costs 516.9 € (Galax Reference cooler) . (May change over time)

So it's not cheaper and it's not faster... 

What did we get then? 

A more powerefficent GPU? Yes. But as Linus said it 'Imporovements in powerconsumtion are boring' (Pharaphrasing)

Some new features that we are not likely to use?

Why is nobody mad? Especially Youtubers and reviewers are suprisingly positive about it. I expected many to crush the GTX 980 in their review.

Enlighten me. Why are you not mad? I'm am sure Nvidia has something better up their sleeve but this is a dick move. 

I feel like Nvidia is not the enthusiast's place to be anymore. The grass looks a lot more green on the red side now... (See what I did there?)

Do you agree with it me? What's your opinion on the GTX 900 Series?

Tell me all about it.

I agree, I've also already said that they could have done so much more, they didn't go all out for this new card. It seems like they just wanted to create an in between generations card to get people their money.

I feel disappointed, but not angry.

I've got strong feelings of postponing my new build and just keep on going on my 5y old machine for a bit longer. Hopefully AMD will come out with something really fitting for enthousiasts soon (R9 390x).

As with Nvidia I wouldn't be suprised if they'd launch a new flagship card within the next 2-3 months. The reason behind this is that I cannot believe they would hold back so much on what should be a flagship card.

Is it because AMD uses the term "R9 290" of which the -90 could be seen to imply that it's better than Nvidia's -80. So maybe Nvidia has decided to go with a GTX 990? Or an actually affordable and value for your money titan?

agreed, but those concerns apply to maybe 10% of the people who are treating power consumption like its the biggest selling point in the world.

Not saying its the biggest selling point. Look at Evga Hadron cases and issues with how close the 780 brought the TDP that it was almost to much for the 500w PSU. SFX PSU limits should also be considered

Not saying its the biggest selling point. Look at Evga Hadron cases and issues with how close the 780 brought the TDP that it was almost to much for the 500w PSU. SFX PSU limits should also be considered

That's what I'm saying. Of course it should be considered, but just look at whats going on on the internet. Everybody is talking about Maxwell's power efficiency as if its the greatest most important thing in the world.

We can't be sure there will be one. Unless AMD releases something, we won't get one.

I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already working on the 980ti, even if it's only on paper at this point.

There's always a market for high-end refresh, money be damned. If Nvidia pushes the 980ti out at $700usd it will be bought and it'll be worth it (for Nvidia).

The only stopping power isn't AMD. It's if Nvidia dumps all resources into Pascal and the next process shrink.

The only thing that the 980 has going for it is the fact that people are doing almost 1500MHz Core clocks on Air, but the problem is even a 780 Ti with a minor overclock nearly matches it:

1440P Heaven Benchmarks:

EVGA 980 SC, stock boosting to 1366MHz:

j0ejoh.png

EVGA 980 SC OCed to 1480 core / 7600 memory:

1222flx.png

GTX 780 Ti @ 1175 core / 6400 memory:

2yn2o8p.png

GTX 780 Ti @ 1294 core / 7000 memory:

2iswefq.jpg

Even an overclock of 1294MHz on a 780 Ti destroys the 980. 

I'm not too interested with flagship cards...

Sure, they're exciting and all, but, I'm not part of the potential buyers of the cards...

I'll wait for the 940/950/960 to come out and see how they perform against the 740/750/760 before I say whether or not I'm disappointed...

Sorry but one benchmark does not proive shit. last I checked you cant play a benchmark. Lets see here GTX 980 beats 780ti in every game tested ... "HANDEDLY" ! http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

You don't even look at benchmarks before you post:

155t8j9.jpg

That's the clock speeds. They are running the 780 Ti at stock base clock speeds from the factory. Who gives a crap about stock versus stock? Match the 780 Ti clockspeeds to the 980 and it loses every single time.