Top websites join Internet Slowdown Day in symbolic protest of 'fast lanes'

Dietrichw

Source

buffering-icon.png

On September 10th many major companies will demonstrate what the web might be like if fast lanes are allowed as part of the Net Neutrality rules. Participating website such as Reddit, Foursquare, Vimeo, Wordpress, and Boing Boing will have a infinitely-loading site icon to show users what the web could turn into if internet service providers are allowed to charge for fast lanes and artificially slow down connections to non-paying websites. This Internet Slowdown Day was started by the group "Fight for the Future" which asks people to contact their US representatives and officially protest fast lanes

Here is an example from Tumblr https://www.tumblr.com/stop

kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/

wonder if other websites will join in

Google should join in.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You know what all the companies that run the internet backbone should do?

Give the bird to the government and ISPs (such as their websites) and slow down their traffic. To ungodly amounts. Worse than DSL slow. Constant timeouts.

I can dream.

I'd love to see the effects of shutting google down for a day lol

hell even an hour or so

Yeah that would have a huge effect on the entire world :P Google has sooo much power.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

as long as i dont see this ANYWHERE... because the EU made it illegal to do the fast lane thing :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Google should join in.

They could totes make a comic like they do for everything else, but it be a loading animation with the text eventually coming up as "Is this the kind internet you want?"

hell even an hour or so

We've already seen the effects of Facebook being down for mere minutes: stay-at-home-gossip-naggy-men-women call 911 due to Facebook being down.

Neftlix should join in!

oh wait they don't need to anymore because they paid the man and took the shaft

Amen.

hell even an hour or so

Damnit I want to find a gif that fits that....

You know what all the companies that run the internet backbone should do?

Give the bird to the government and ISPs (such as their websites) and slow down their traffic. To ungodly amounts. Worse than DSL slow. Constant timeouts.

I can dream.

Have you ever used a government internet connection? It's already absolute shit, they'd never even notice.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh man. If Google added a buffer to search results. Maybe about a 1 minute buffer. The world would come unglued.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Damn i hope more people join in google should definitely join in imagine the impact that would make!

Google should join in.

hell even an hour or so

They could totes make a comic like they do for everything else, but it be a loading animation with the text eventually coming up as "Is this the kind internet you want?"

We've already seen the effects of Facebook being down for mere minutes: stay-at-home-gossip-naggy-men-women call 911 due to Facebook being down.

Oh man. If Google added a buffer to search results. Maybe about a 1 minute buffer. The world would come unglued.

If google added a buffer we'd have to use Bing.

I think I would cry.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

hell even an hour or so

even a minute lol

For me every day's an internet slowdown day xD

Have you ever used a government internet connection? It's already absolute shit, they'd never even notice.

Are they worse than mine? If so I'd be taking hats off to the sheer engineering feat that went into creating a connection that simply wasn't yet was still connected.

if google servers slowdown for an our i think their search would be the least of people worries, just imagine to be forced to watch youtube videos in 144p for an hour...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

hell even an hour or so

The sheer amount of software engineers that would get fired as a result ... *shudder*.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

hell even an hour or so

Imagine if MS paid for a fast lane and had all ISPs bring Google to a halt.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

hell even an hour or so

an hour? could shut it down for five minutes and people would be calling the cops. look what happened when facebook went down. people actually called the cops about it

For me every day's an internet slowdown day xD

Are they worse than mine? If so I'd be taking hats off to the sheer engineering feat that went into creating a connection that simply wasn't yet was still connected.

When I worked at a local state run (state goverment) run liqour store, our internet was so bad that if the computer we used to clock in and out on was plugged into the internet, even with nothing running on it, the credit and debit card machines would not work. Straight up

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

When I worked at a local state run (state goverment) run liqour store, our internet was so bad that if the computer we used to clock in and out on was plugged into the internet, even with nothing running on it, the credit and debit card machines would not work. Straight up

o_O Dayyyyyyyum, That is bad.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China