Seagate 8TB & 10TB HDDs

WereCat

Source: http://dsl.sk/article.php?article=15856

Translated (sorry may not be perfect translation my english is not 100%)

Seagate is already providing selected customers with these drives, said CEO Steve Luczo. 10TB discs should come in next 12 months. Parameters and used technology company did not revealed. Right now these high capacity discs are used for cloud storage and other aplications which require high capacity. When company make these discs available for us consumers is not known.

Company is also announcing that they will use new technology for discs in 2016 called HAMR (Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording). Seagate confirmed that on 8TB drives they are using their newest SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) technology.

I am all for high capacity. I dont think this is needed for average PC user though. I cant imagine how they can make these discs very reliable when we consider how much dense are those data stored. But if they can provide customers with high capacity enterprise products like these then there must be some really awesome technology used.

Anyway, as long as Seagate can push capacity higher then I hope that we can expect lower prices on 1 to 4 TB drives. That would be awesome.

I Can fill up the 10tb drive with a lot off por...10tb is a lot of space.

Think of all the Raid-Systems, stuffed with educational films!

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I could totally use an 10tb drive EASY. I rip all my videos/music in the highest quality. Hell, a single bluray is like 20 gigs.

Currently I have 4 HDDS and two SSds stuffed into my HTPC.

Shame they're seagate...

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Am I the only one concerned with holding so much data on one disc, I would much rather 5x 2Tb drives than one 10Tb for home use and how long would it take the average array to rebuild a 10Tb drive should it fail?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

ohh yea..Baby, all this Education and learning is giving me a hadron!

It's giving you a sub-atomic particle is it?  :P :lol: :ph34r:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Shame they're seagate...

bad experience?

SMR tech is actually more reliable than normal hard drive tech

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

7 platters? 8? Or even 9? The failure rate will probably go through the roof, even if they fill them with helium. I don't know about this, maybe some servers that are restricted to very low space and still need tons of capacity, but otherwise I see no use for them right now. They need to find a balance between capacity and reliability with these.....

7 platters? 8? Or even 9? The failure rate will probably go through the roof, even if they fill them with helium. I don't know about this, maybe some servers that are restricted to very low space and still need tons of capacity, but otherwise I see no use for them right now. They need to find a balance between capacity and reliability with these.....

Nope: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2012/03/20/seagate-hamr/1

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I'm already using 16tb... I would love a bunch of these :D

-snip-

The name "Data" seems so harmless.

Oh, not bad. Now it has suddenly become interesting. If they manage to cram 8TB or 10TB on a single platter then this could be very nice of course. It just reminded me of their helium filled 7 platter enterprise drives at first, it's good to see that they're moving away from that.

read this a while back on a leaked slide, as in every case, reliability is the issue..

Details separate people.

I'm already using 16tb... I would love a bunch of these :D

What the hell man? I can barelly fill up 1.5TB on my 2TB drive :D

This will be used a lot, for science.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I could totally use an 10tb drive EASY. I rip all my videos/music in the highest quality. Hell, a single bluray is like 20 gigs.

Currently I have 4 HDDS and two SSds stuffed into my HTPC.

Is your music FLAC? or MP3 320kbps?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

They need to bring 5.25" HDDs back. A 25TB HDD should be doable.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

10 tb will have some dis advantages. i think they should focus on 4tb ssd's first 

For everyone complaining about reliability: It's not going to be an issue.

1. They most likely won't be adding platters, but rather increasing the density of existing platters using their new HAMR tech. There isn't enough space in a 3.5 inch drive to get these capacities with current platters.
  2. They won't release a new hard drive model with significantly worse failure rates than they currently have. Plain and simple. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective.

I'll be excited for the storage show-off thread once these kinds of drives begin to show up.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

They need to bring 5.25" HDDs back. A 25TB HDD should be doable.

Nah, that wouldnt be efficient.

The plates in the HDD are circular, the hdd itself is a rectangle and the circle has to fit in it. The bigger you make the rectangle, the bigger the circles would be, but then the useless corners get also bigger.

Many Cheddar = Many Cheese

Many Cheddar = Many Holes

The more Cheddar, the less Cheddar.

I dont understand why people need so much storage, even 1tb of bangin' when are you watching all of it or rewatching?

I am in the market for 4x 4tb drives... maybe I could get 4x10tb drives instead.

although I bet it will cost LOADS

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii