Seagate 8TB & 10TB HDDs

WereCat

Seagate is now shipping the drive

8TB for just $260!!!

Wewt, that's less than a 6TB WD Red.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They've been saying that for a decade, we hit 250gigs "Oh my ghod way too much data if we lose it all hell will break out!", then 500gigs (same thing), 750 gigs (people's heads were exploding), 1TB (mass hysteria), 1.5TB (not much worry because they were always failing  :P  ), 2TB..., 3TB..., 4TB..., 5TB..., 6TB..., people just like to complain or can't wrap their heads around quantities they themselves have not envisioned/used. I for one think 10TB is not so bad or large, once you hit petabyte TB is not so big. Multiple PB's and it gets to be less of an issue or concern, data is data.

Damn you beat me to it.

With that being said, I don't trust HDDs so I use RAID for my bulk storage as well as off site backups for the really valuable stuff. Even a 500GB drive failing could be devastating (could be thousands of important documents and photos) so you should always back up regardless of how big/small your HDD is. So I am not too worried about "but if one drive dies you will lose 10TB of data!".

Holly thread dig batman!   how old is this one?

P.S

2x 10tb drives. Raid 1. Done. 

That would require buying twice as much hard drive space though,  I was looking at it from the perspective of those who can't afford redundancy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh, not bad. Now it has suddenly become interesting. If they manage to cram 8TB or 10TB on a single platter then this could be very nice of course. It just reminded me of their helium filled 7 platter enterprise drives at first, it's good to see that they're moving away from that.

They're not moving away from it, and it would be bad if they did. Your drive splits data among its platters for faster read/write, just like raiding drives. It's the only way HDDs are even remotely okay compared to SSDs. If you shave platters, you need to increase RPM to maintain the same throughput.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Wewt, that's less than a 6TB WD Red.

with 6x the chance of failure because it's Seagate! Not to mention WD Red are built for RAID and have vibration protection built into them.

These Seagate drives are cheaply made.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

with 6x the chance of failure because it's Seagate! Not to mention WD Red are built for RAID and have vibration protection built into them.

[Citation Needed]

The annual component failure rate statistics posted on Behardware has always shown Seagate drives being roughly the same as WD. The 4 Seagate drives I got in my NAS hasn't complained either.

[Citation Needed]

The annual component failure rate statistics posted on Behardware has always shown Seagate drives being roughly the same as WD. The 4 Seagate drives I got in my NAS hasn't complained either.

Probably relying on black blaze.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They need to bring 5.25" HDDs back. A 25TB HDD should be doable.

Especially now when no one is using disk drives anyway.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Probably relying on black blaze.

Flipping Black Blaze, the crappiest storage hardware on the planet and they go dirt cheap on the drives then try to justify their crappy results on us as if its actually meaningful. No real storage company has anywhere the same failure rates as they do.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Anyone taking HDD reliability numbers from Backblaze, who took their drives out of 2.5" external enclosures and ran them 24/7 as server drives, should be hung up from the roof by their testicles and whipped across the balls 40 times daily with a rusty 6" wire.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

All statistics show WD and Seagate extremely paired up when it comes to reliability.

However in my personal experience with hard drives it was WD who had the most problems and casualties by far, followed by only a couple Seagate drives. The drives that I've never had problems with, even after years and years, are Toshiba and Hitachi drives.

Everybody got a hard-on on black friday for GPUs and motherboards, but I got all exited when I bought 2x 2TB Toshiba enterprise drives for just over $10 the price of regular WD 2TB blues.

They need to bring 5.25" HDDs back. A 25TB HDD should be doable.

The reason this doesn't exist is because drives have evolved in such a way that bigger is not always better. Bigger hdd's would be too unstable and would be very very difficult to make reliable. Because they are bigger, and today 7200rpm is normal, there would be a lot of air movement which will be very bad for the hdd. The only way to make them properly is to let them turn very very slow, which would make them probably so terribly slow that they are almost useless.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The reason this doesn't exist is because drives have evolved in such a way that bigger is not always better. Bigger hdd's would be too unstable and would be very very difficult to make reliable. Because they are bigger, and today 7200rpm is normal, there would be a lot of air movement which will be very bad for the hdd. The only way to make them properly is to let them turn very very slow, which would make them probably so terribly slow that they are almost useless.

You would have to increase platter density at the same percentage as you slow down the rotations, but you can't do that since the forces on the edges of the platters become stronger, so you must either use another material which doesn't bend/warp as much while rotating, or you must turn down the rotation speed further. This is why WD's Velociraptors still only come in 1TB flavors at 10,000 RPM speeds, though I expect SMR and HAMR to bring that up to 4TB before too long.