What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
1 minute ago, Peskanova said:

when I tried to put 1600 contacts

Hmm... Doesn't sound like an issue most users are likely to come across though, does it? :P

But ok, point taken. When you deviate from the norm apple probably isn't your go-to.

They make half assed products and consumers accept them, making all other brands look at them and think "we can do that too", which just makes in this case laptops worse and worse. The culture around Apple products is also quite appoling tbh, like some people just look at the phone you have or laptop and act better than you if you don't also have the lastest iPhone and MacBook and the whole thing about making features seem meaningless until they have the feature and then suddenly it is the most important thing ever. They also do stupid stuff like removing the data recovery port, which just makes it almost impossible for repair people to cover data without fixing the whole laptop and let's just say that it isn't fun working at a certified Apple repair shop.

The main problem for me is that people just accept it when Apple makes a bad product, they don't get mad at Apple, but rather they blame themselves. If they instead started to blame Apple, then we would see them improve things.

I generally agree with Louis, but what most people get wrong about him is that he hates Apple and nothing else, but that is just wrong, he has said quite a few good things about Apple. In his "My problem with the cult of Apple" he actually says that he would use a Apple pc for some things and say what he likes about them. I see a lot of people getting mad at him for calling out the BS that Apple makes and then they just forget the times when he have said nice things about them. I would highly recommend watching it to the end and not let anger take over, he really hits on some good points and some points that only repair people would notice.

It also doesn't help that I don't like their keyboards, the UI, the whole dongle thing and the fact that they remove commonly used ports.

ofc there are some good things, final cut is amazing and how everything integrate is pretty good.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

17 minutes ago, peredv said:

Hmm... Doesn't sound like an issue most users are likely to come across though, does it? :P

But ok, point taken. When you deviate from the norm apple probably isn't your go-to.

Well the norm is if you pay high for a product (even if its fashion and not business related) you have something backing you..

What is the norm with apple? Dell bussines? like any pc on consumer? or what its convenient for the time?, Its a product with prices rated to proffessionals(who will spend 1200$ on a phone that has not give income or save time?) without a proffessional interface (you cant tweak anything) that advertises for every normal person, just change your niche or your product or your price but that combo? Its not going to last long this trend with smartphones... mbp and aio macs are still a thing for final cut, but if people were smart it wouldnt be like this in the closest future (with cheap ryzen thinking on gains vs loss its a no brainer)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

I use apple equipment simply due to the ecosystem and software, the hardware is built extremely well built (Well for the most part) however is very expensive to get into. 

The cheapest Mac is £479 for a Mac Mini thats not been updated in years and still have dual core CPU's or a £949 MacBook Air which is in the same boat as the Mac Mini! 

Also a lack of upgradability for the majority of the machines do make people dislike apple and the way they price upgrades like memory especially on their Pro Products. The iMac Pro could have been upgradeable by professionals if they had decided to use the same system as the 2008 iMac which they used magnets in the display to allow the display to be removed and access to the internals. 

Apple also do allot of things which at the time looks to be foolish but it pushes the industry forward for example 1998 iMac removing ADB & Floppy Disk Drives, Removing optical drives, removing all ports apart from USB-C etc.

To sum up why people dislike apple, They are extremely popular with the "Non Tech" crowd and has people using their products who would believe that putting their phone in a microwave would charge it. Their right to repair is sketchy at best due to unauthorised repairs on some iPhones causing bricking and so much more. Poor specs for the price, high price to join the ecosystem. Upgrade support is poor and also expensive to have done from the factory.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

30 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Well the norm is if you pay high for a product (even if its fashion and not business related) you have something backing you..

High prices? Naww, apples prices aren't that high. 

The kind of prices you're thinking of, the - this product is for businesses - pricing is in the tens of thousands of dollars for a product. And yes, that does imply backing the product. 1200$ for a power pocket computer with a battery that lasts for hours and hours of watching video however, that's cheap when you add up all the hours of research gone into making processors, screen technology and everything else.

The norm with apple is honestly something only apple would know for sure, but it's certainly got nothing to do with "customizing interfaces" good god that just sounds like a whole can of worms and is honestly a pretty good example of how apple products absolutely save you time.

39 minutes ago, Peskanova said:

Its not going to last long this trend with smartphones...

Hmmm...

My bet is it'll probably last as long as consumerism, however long. Which is to say that as long as we have a society which likes to buy stuff we will still purchase new phones at a fairly regular interval.

1 hour ago, peredv said:

If you switch Apple and Android in both these sentences they are equally legitimate complaints the other way around.

2 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

I had and iPhone 6s, it was handed down because my mum got the 7. I used it for literally 3 months and go bored of it and got myself a OnePlus5. Since then I haven't look back. I'll tell you why. It's restrictive. You cannot modify it, cannot install certain applications. You can't install a custom IOS if you do, that's breaking the terms and conditions. With Android you can do a whole lot. Also, storage is a problem with Apple. A pain with iCloud.  

1 hour ago, peredv said:

Changing phones are easy as all heck by the way. I upped from the 6+ to the X and while installing the phone asked me "to put the phones close" and everything - absolutely everything - got ported over to the new phone

Changing Phones between and Android and iPhone is more easier that the other way. You can login to Google and sync your contacts, emails and even some applications. From iPhone to Apple is much harder because you have iCloud which does not make it easy at all. You'll need to download the application onto your laptop or PC, connect your phone to your PC the start copying. That is the problem that I faced. Why can't it be easy as Google? 

1 hour ago, peredv said:

The reason I started using an iphone in the first place was because the last android phone I had - which was an s4 active - was horrendously laggy. It's like Samsung had no concept of how much processor power the phone had and instead just threw some un-optimized android OS together and stuck on all the bloatware they could fit. I distinctly remember a bunch of crashes as well.

I agree Samsung did not have the best phones back then, but now. They are beating Apple in some features. If you look at the speeds on 4g. A big difference. 

dc4db2db2b870e58067eba24ee7aaea9.png

1 hour ago, peredv said:

Facial recognition is fricking AWESOME.

It's got wireless charging, but there's nowhere that use it yet - except McDonalds - so I guess they're a little early with that one? ;)

Apple pay is pretty smooth.

I can't really think of a "feature" that's missing. Every time android is first with something it seems like it's either way too early - so nothing supports that feature. Or it's just badly done, like the early fingerprint sensors on android which were freaking horrible.

To be honest, I never cared about Facial recognition. Fingerprint or ping is more than enough. Lets say you need an app, that does not work with Facial recognition, what are you going to do? That is stupid why not have Facial recognition and fingerprint scanning?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

26 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'll tell you why. It's restrictive. You cannot modify it, cannot install certain applications. You can't install a custom IOS if you do, that's breaking the terms and conditions. With Android you can do a whole lot. Also, storage is a problem with Apple. A pain with iCloud.  

We have very different uses for our phones, I'll tell you that much :D

I don't want to modify, install emulators, utorrent or other shady stuff on my phone and I don't use disk space beyond 50 spotify-tracks synced and some pictures, frankly 64Gig is more than I'll ever use.

30 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

From iPhone to Apple is much harder because you have iCloud which does not make it easy at all. You'll need to download the application onto your laptop or PC, connect your phone to your PC the start copying. That is the problem that I faced. Why can't it be easy as Google? 

I think(? might be wrong here) that you're doing it wrong? I'm not entirely sure of what you want to do though. I was saying that upgrading from old iphone to new iphone was very easy. Do you mean like downloading stuff on your phone and transferring to a PC? Because if you do then yeah sure, that can be a pain. Not that I see why you would want to..

35 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:
2 hours ago, peredv said:

I agree Samsung did not have the best phones back then, but now. They are beating Apple in some features. If you look at the speeds on 4g. A big difference. 

But 4g speeds is not something I care about above a certain point, the most I ever download outside of wi-fi is an audiobook or some video like youtube and netflix and the audiobook can start streaming from 5MB anyways.

41 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Lets say you need an app, that does not work with Facial recognition, what are you going to do?

Actually I was worried about this too. My password manager was linked to my fingerprint. But when an app calls for a fingerprint scan the phone takes that to mean faceID automatically and everything works just as normal with face instead of finger.

To add to that, I'm also way less cautious about letting Apple have stuff like my face and fingers in their database considering their entire business isn't built on selling personal information.

I dont think i hate Apple, i'm not very fond of their practices and i sure think their products are overpriced, but i can't hate on them too much.

For one they make the only decent small smartphone, the iPhone SE, and i sure think they will update that line up, since i may not be the only one who likes smaller phones.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I doubt this thread will be open for much longer....

But I don't hate Apple. I hate a few things they do, but right now I think they are doing a much better job on the software front than Microsoft or Google. 

Im with @DrMacintosh... I moved from windows back in 2007 to Ubuntu for around 3 years after being frustrated with the Microsoft Windows of the time. In 2010 I bought my first MacBook (a unibody white with Core2Duo). For my productivity needs of the time it just worked and it was fast. I have been a customer of the bitten fruit since then. My issues with the company stem from some of their decisions:

1- Not having a dedicated GPU on 13inch MBPs

2- The insistence on thin and light over thicker, more powerful, and with good cooling

Pricing honestly is on par for the internals. It may seem expensive (it is expensive) but you're getting a factory calibrated screen with high DPI, your SSDs are PCIE based and are extremely fast. Pricing is an issue with the lower tier models such as the MacBook air which has not been updated in ages, and the Mac Mini which they still sell for $999 for 2014 parts.

The iOS/OSX environment is well integrated and is a great ecosystem to be on.

Gaming now that is another matter

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Apple used to be really really great, their products were among the best you could get and it just worked. I still love macOS, it's a great OS, the Unix console is super useful and it's pretty quick. My issue with Apple lies in ther "recent" hardware policies. The last amazing Macbook imho was the 2012 model. Sure, Retina displays are nice but along with it came the policy to not be able to upgrade it anymore. While soldered memory is sadly a thing nowadays just to save another 2mm (while sacrificing cooling at the same time) a soldered SSD is just utterly stupid. If that was it then maybe it would have been ok but no, they just said screw everyone and bumped the price. Just look at those ridiculous prices: for the money you need to spend on an i7 13" Macbook Pro with 16GB of memory and 512GB SSD you have to pay about $1000 ontop of a top of the line Dell or HP Ultrabook. There's no real difference in the hardware, you just have to. 

Or look at their iPhones – iOS upgrades are regularly more or less breaking older iPhones just to make you to get a new one. Yes, other manufacturers do throttle your phone to some extent as well but I never experienced it so severely as I did on several iOS products. 

And then there are the huge dick moves of just dropping support for technologies they actually pushed into market and made other companies adopt. Think of OpenCL – they were one of the biggest supporters and now just dropped support. Even worse: OpenGL support got dropped as well. It's the only damn true cross-plattform graphics API. While OpenGL is far form perfect (yet definitely not as bad as some people might want to make it look) it just is the only cross-plattform API. Other vendors jumped on the Vulkan train but not Apple, no no. If you want to keep developing for Apple products you better adopt their own Metal API. They're just trying to lock people and developers in their eco system. Instead of adopting Vulkan you have to use their product to use any graphics acceleration on iOS and macOS. Sure, there will be some translation layers coming up, but that doesn't make it any better. Thanks Apple … I seriously wonder how it will turn out with WebGL which is based on OpenGL ES. 

In the end they just want you to spend a 50-100% premium on products that need very special attention from developers which will ultimately just lead to less software.

And when there's an issue with your Mac or iPhone, Apple folks are just denying it as long as they can and are trying to tell you it was your fault. Thanks, but no thanks. macOS is just not worth it for me. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I hate Apple because people use them, and other terrible companies like Amazon, as examples of "capitalism".

They engage in practices like the use of slave labour, which are antithetical to laissez faire capitalism. They are also perceived as this shiny paragon of virtue... with slaves.

They also pander to the least common denominator mentality. Their fans are hubristic af even though Apple hasnt made a good product since Wozniak left the company.

7 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Especially when it comes to the "Pro" line. Jobs brought the company back to life by appeasing creators and fostered a great relationship with them. Current Apple is just undoing all of that for the sake of appealing to the mainstream "prosumer". 

Yeah its funny they appeal directly to their artsy/liberal fan base ego by appealing to their inner omgurd im an artist and pro too!  I need this!  Apple is very clever in their marketing because they know if they tie their brand into people self identities and egos they will defend the company to the death.  Thats why their marketing always involves lifestyle type backdrops.

for me it's the cult of Apple I have an issue with, the notion that Apple never does anything wrong and if something inevitably does go wrong then it is automatically your fault, be it holding your phone wrong, doing the wrong kind of video editing on a supposedly top of the range i9 macbook pro with a clearly totally inadequate cooling design and the likes of their apple warranty services, which frankly are atrocious, their recent issues with battery throttling on older models being a perfect example of a company that only care about getting every penny it can out of you.

i don't hate Apple at all.

my MacBook Pro has the best build quality of the chassis and looks the best out of every laptop i've ever owned.

i do have issues with them for using crappy dedicated gpu's that are prone to die. my MacBook Pro has that problem too. mine hasn't failed yet, but it's likely to fail at some point. 

She/Her

Personally, I don't necessarily hate Apple, but I don't like them either. I do actually use two of their products:

- An old Macbook from late 2009 which btw still holds up today, only gets warm pretty quick but that's solvable by re-adding some cooling paste on both the gpu and cpu

- Their operating system on my non-Apple hardware (A hackintosh (not gonna go into the specifics of that))

There are like 3 things I can think of right now which I like(d) about Apple: Their design, MacOS and the iPod Touch. Back in the day I used to have a iPod Touch, which was actually really good back then. Then after like a year or two I gave it to my mother who unfortunately let it fall from a table. The entire front panel was just shattered and I think it was kind of beyond repair.

One of the reasons I like their designs is simply because I like the modern look of it. It looks kinda nice to me to be honest. Though I must say they lack colour (Some models do have a colour now I guess). But nowadays, they seem to be solely focusing on design which is kind of bad, and as we all have seen, the recent MacBook design wise was a failure. Due to the fact it's just throttling thanks to the amount of heat building up inside is just bad. The MacBook was never designed to handle a beefy processor like that. They can solve it by simply making the MacBook a little bit thicker so they can add the right amount of heatsinks to prevent such overheating and throttling issues. I know that it is sort of 'solved' due to some software solution they released, but I think this is just something temporarily.

The MacOS operating system is kinda my favourite of them all. To me, it's much more user friendly then Windows. I don't use it as a daily driver, but it's still something that I might consider one day. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a little faster, but it normally depends on what hardware you use it. The Finder is one of the things I really like about the operating system. It's much better than searching something up in the start menu in Windows. It seems to find things quicker and even the correct file. Though this is something that is from my own user experience on MacOS so it could vary with others. Regarding virtualization (at least for me), it seems to be much better on MacOS due to the kernel, but it isn't the only operating system that virtualization is faster on. Linux for that matter is pretty much the same. I think this is something that is widely known since Windows is rather slow when it comes to virtualization. But hey, I could be wrong.

Back in the day, Apple seem to be alright. Now however, when it comes to like repairing, some of their policies, pricing, design flaws and bugs in software, they’re doing bad. Sure they had problems back then as well, but nowadays, it seems to be more transparent. The pricing is something that’s been an issue for much longer. I get it that their stuff is made for like ‘professionals’, but I don’t really like that kind of reasoning. The fact also about them being annoying when you want to get your motherboard fixed (Linus situation) and they tell you to buy another iMac instead eventually, is stupid. Things like that should be able to get fixed regardless. As Louis or Linus pointed out in one of the videos, it should be possible for a IT Technician to check something out and see if they’re able to fix it. People saying that Mac’s aren’t allowed to be opened is bullshit. Those things aren’t magic, they are technological systems that process information just like any other computer.

I just hope one day they can get their shit together and start to think more logical instead of just being a bunch of brainless people. But I get the feeling that Apple won’t change, at least not for the moment.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Apple.. What can I say about them???

I don't think they can be called Crapple just yet, their products don't seem to offer the best value for money at all to most people and they are terribly overpriced.

It is not that Apple gives lesser performance for the dollar it is just that they also charge for that Apple logo and the premium quality build and software experience you get with it. Whether you want to pay for it or not, it seems decent but add on import taxes and Apple tax added by resellers in Developing Countries like India and prices soar.

Some people might say their software is better and I will agree that a few nuances are good but consider that there was no grouped notifs on iOS for years, you can easily say that the software is just a personal taste.

I certainly applaud Apple for changes they have forced into the competition like better build quality and battery life but the removal of the headphone jack and the lack of SD Card ports forget USB Type A on "Pro" devices really show great courage, stupidity or clever marketing.

Their dubious practices are outright illegal according to me especially when I am paying the Apple Premium.

They get away with many small mistakes that they think will go unnoticed and they do, to the normal consumer, and refuse to accept their mistakes.

However, Apple certainly is the leader in a few markets and whether you like them or not they are here to stay.

Consider the iPad, I would  go into a store and pick one up and confidently say I have the best tablet in the market but the same can't be said of their Smartphones, laptops or desktops.

Apple wants to monopolize the entire market and won't even allow any user serviceability or fixes. You'd need more than a Genius to properly fixed a screwed up iMac Pro. Not to mention the exorbitant prices of older devices from Apple which has enabled other brands to also not cut prices of older devices.

All in all, they have their ups and downs and if you do buy Apple just take care that your needs align with their strengths and pray that you don't drop your device or damage it in anyway.

I don't exactly hate Apple, I just don't like their phones, to me they're so restricted when I comes to customization. But their laptops are brilliant.  

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

From a personal viewpoint

- Way to overpriced for what they offer

- Tend to stop selling previous versions of products (looking at you here iPod's) forcing you to buy latest model

- Apple Tax

- Specs doesn't match up to the price point

- Fashion over Function

From Professional standpoint

- Overpriced

- Very annoying to manage in a Windows based environment (although getting them join to a Windows domain is very easy so i'll give them that)

- Sometimes in order to do something you have to enable root on the client device (which can't be done remotely)

- Force to buy specific brand of peripherals for things to work properly

- Cost of repair is stupid (£130 inc. VAT to swap out a HDD to SSD when i already gave them the SSD)

- Can't use VMs to test something unless you already have a Mac device due to licensing issues (So no testing how a deployment will work on a VM on Windows like it's best practise to do)

I think that generally sums it up; we have around 15 Macs where i work (for iOS developers) and it's a nightmare working with them

I have no personal reason to hate Apple and I don't; I don't own any Apple-products, never have, and I've only very briefly used my ex's iMac years ago. I do very much dislike them, but that comes down to their shady practices and stupidly expensive, horribly limited devices.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i used Macs for several years, I had an iPod touch too.  Most of their hardware actually isn't marked up that much.  The most expensive thing is that they're all-in-one units.

The iOS is completely walled off & while it is possible to access the BSD core of MacOS, it's pretty closed off too.

I still have on of their last laptops to have a replacable battery, but forget about upgrading anything in most of their hardware

Brand: $600

Actual phone: $299

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

5 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

i used Macs for several years, I had an iPod touch too.  Most of their hardware actually isn't marked up that much.  The most expensive thing is that they're all-in-one units.

The iOS is completely walled off & while it is possible to access the BSD core of MacOS, it's pretty closed off too.

What makes you stay with Mac compared to trying Windows, i'm curious to know as the most common argument i hear is that Windows isn't stable and crashes all the time, coming from people who last used a Windows machine back when XP was the big kid on the block

9 hours ago, Nicnac said:

an actual sheep certainly favours function over form. I don't know what you are talking about ... ^^

Maybe the "Professional" sheep prefers that, but the masses of sheep that were born only go "i have the latest cool/fashionably hip accessory" out etc etc. It's been ingrained that this is the "cool thing" to have, regardless of cost or the eco system it provides.

Look at Triumph motorcycles, look at their adverts. They do the exact same things with their family brand buzz words etc to rope you into a Triumph only bike life (clothing apparel, accessories, the actual bikes) Only reason you don't see legions of them on the streets is they are actually Motorbikes costing 7k+ new and are a pretty decent company to boot.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

What makes you stay with Mac compared to trying Windows, i'm curious to know as the most common argument i hear is that Windows isn't stable and crashes all the time, coming from people who last used a Windows machine back when XP was the big kid on the block

I've been using Linux for a few years.  I have win7 on my older machine though.  Even XP was pretty stable.  I don't care for the way Windows or Microsoft does some things; I'm not saying apple is a totally innocent company though.

I started with Mac too

15 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

Most of their hardware actually isn't marked up that much. 

I'll take 3 batches of w/e you've taken please. Need it to continue to escape normal life after i come back from holiday.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530