What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
2 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

I've been using Linux for a few years.  I have win7 on my older machine though.  Even XP was pretty stable.  I don't care for the way Windows or Microsoft does some things; I'm not saying apple is a totally innocent company though.

I started with Mac too

What specifically don't you like about Windows as 10 compared to 7 is another kettle of fish

1. The fact that they've launched the war against opening up and upgrading your own device. Ever since they started soldering on RAM and SSDs, using pentalobe screws or just making everything proprietary as in the case of the mac pro. 

2. The use of more expensive components such as Xeons and ECC memory for what seems to be no concievable benefit. 

3. Lack of innovation with products such as the Mac pro and Mac mini and then having the gall to charge the same price for a computer that's 4 years outdated. 

4. Their war on jailbreaking iDevices without putting in features from it e.g. EQ or ability to move apps/folders wherever you want on the springboard. 

5. The fact that a MacBook Pro i7 1tb with 32gb of RAM costs £3419 whereas the equivalent XPS 15 costs £2098 for no apparent reason.

6. Not admitting to their own mistakes: the butterfly switch fiasco. 

7. Butterfly switches themselves, no one asked for them.

I could go on but Apple has its good points:

1. I personally have an iPhone and iPad pro 10.5", the integration between the two is brilliant. 

2. Over the years I've had the 1st, 4th and 5th gen iPod touches which are undisputedly the best mp3 players around. It's a shame streaming has taken them over really. 

3. MacOS and what productivity software it has e.g. Final Cut and Logic works so well in the Mac ecosystem.

4. They've helped move the market along more than most other companies what with removing the headphone jack (not a plus in my eyes, but the only point I could think of off the top of my head). 

5. Best speakers of any laptop/

6. Black PCBs even in laptops/mobile devices. 

7. How intuitive iOS was and still is.

12 minutes ago, KingCobra484 said:

2. Over the years I've had the 1st, 4th and 5th gen iPod touches which are undisputedly the best mp3 players around. It's a shame streaming has taken them over really. 

I'd argue that the best MP3 players were the iPod classic's

Just now, Tcrumpen said:

I'd argue that the best MP3 players were the iPod classic's

I'd argue that over time, the Touch fared better since it didn't have a physical HDD unlike the classics. 

1 minute ago, KingCobra484 said:

I'd argue that over time, the Touch fared better since it didn't have a physical HDD unlike the classics. 

But unlike the touch you had more storage space with the classics and far more battery life and it didn't get drained by a touchscreen

If you have to charge up your MP3 player everyday kinda goes against the point of it. I could use my iPod classic for a week without having to charge it

33 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Brand: $600

Actual phone: $299

Here are the problems I have when folks resort to estimating hardware costs...

1) yes 299 may be what the pieces cost separately

2) Someone has to assemble those parts... they need to be paid

3) Someone designed those parts, they need to be paid

4) Someone performed QC and testing on those parts, they also need to be paid

5) There are costs of R&D and marketing to take into account along with "overhead" such as paying for building, and "Geniuses"

6) They need to appease the shareholder gods with ritual theft =P

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

4 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

What specifically don't you like about Windows as 10 compared to 7 is another kettle of fish

A few things are the way they rearranged the CP, ribbon interfaces (although these have popped up elsewhere now), ie was bad & edge isn't great- though a lot better than ie

I use win7 at work and its not a bad OS, it works for many- it it's just not my favorite

12 hours ago, CallOfSnowgolem. said:

I find it really annoying when people say they are anti-apple for the most BS reasons like if you can't give an actual reason to be anti-apple, then don't 

The problem for me is the opposite, most apple-buyers cant give a single reason WHY they bought Apple. Some admit its for status (which is.. ok? At least you are being honest with yourself), but most just think its "good". 

If the person has real usecases where an Apple product is good, so be it. The problem is that people think its ok to overpay like crazy for the "Apple experience".

Something that pisses me off is noob users, who only use pc browse, watch videos, etc.. saying that the mac is "better". JESUS, even a 2010 celeron could do that, but when they get their hands on a pc, 5 minutes later it has viruses, bloatware... No shit they think mac is better, because it does not give you that freedom to easily TRASH you machine.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

3 minutes ago, jpenguin said:

A few things are the way they rearranged the CP, ribbon interfaces (although these have popped up elsewhere now), ie was bad & edge isn't great- though a lot better than ie

I use win7 at work and its not a bad OS, it works for many- it it's just not my favorite

I agree that Edge is bad, the only thing i use it for is Netflix. However 99% of tech people i speak to use Firefox or Chrome

I don't hate apple. I like their software. windows drives me absolutely insane.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

• The way they conduct business.
  • I don't like the operating system.

Pretty simple reasons really.

Though, to be honest, one doesn't need to have a reason to hate something. You can simply not like it, and that's your opinion, which you're perfectly entitled to.

You shouldn't let others feelings bother you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd say hate is the wrong word. I'd say i just don't care about apple at all, I'm not interested into having any business with this company whatsoever. In a nutshell because Apple sells overpriced garbage and treats their customers like slaves. Even pondering really hard, I can't think of a single positive thing to say about Apple.

Since I can get a better and most likely even less expensive alternative for anything that Apple could offer me from another manufacturer/brand, Apple could disappear tomorrow or stay for another 100 years. It wouldn't change anything, Apple is just one of the least important companies in IT history.

they sell status symbols not practical and good price performance products.

They don't care if you can upgrade, you can clean the dust so you don't end up with a non working product,... their customer service is horrendous both in pricing and easy of use.

I don't hate them.  I own a MacBook Pro for work.  That said, there are a few things that keep me from loving them:

1) They are expensive for what you get performance-wise (especially at the professional level).  Not exclusive to Apple, but it does apply.

2) Right to repair.  Again, not exclusive to Apple.

3) They remove features from products to try and force upsells.  For example, backing up iTunes for example used to be able to use CDs.  They removed this feature and try to force you to use iCloud.

4) Walled garden.

5) Proprietary connectors and other hardware.  Not as much of an issue now, but it's still there.  I own a 34 inch LG ultrawide.  I would have had to pay an extra $100 to get the model that can accept thunderbolt, or at least shell out for a converter.

6) I personally find that their OSs are now just as confusing, if not more so, than Windows / Android.  This is more a personal preference though, so feel free to ignore.

On the software side, they're locked down and don't let me do what I want. On the hardware side, it's grossly overpriced for what you're getting and a lot of things are proprietary- even down to the screws.

6 hours ago, Taja said:

The problem for me is the opposite, most apple-buyers cant give a single reason WHY they bought Apple. Some admit its for status (which is.. ok? At least you are being honest with yourself), but most just think its "good". 

If the person has real usecases where an Apple product is good, so be it. The problem is that people think its ok to overpay like crazy for the "Apple experience".

Something that pisses me off is noob users, who only use pc browse, watch videos, etc.. saying that the mac is "better". JESUS, even a 2010 celeron could do that, but when they get their hands on a pc, 5 minutes later it has viruses, bloatware... No shit they think mac is better, because it does not give you that freedom to easily TRASH you machine.

I use my $3000 MacBook Pro to use pages to write notes on and watch some movies.

I wouldn’t call myself a new user at all though, but I buy Apple because they are more reliable and no windows updates that could break my machine. Macs have much better build quality and are very robust, not to mention much better cloud integration as well as device management.

47 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I use my $3000 MacBook Pro to use pages to write notes on and watch some movies.

I wouldn’t call myself a new user at all though, but I buy Apple because they are more reliable and no windows updates that could break my machine. Macs have much better build quality and are very robust, not to mention much better cloud integration as well as device management.

Well, you have your reasons. I may not agree with them, and I DONT, but you are well informed to make your own decisions (considering you are in this forum), unlike most apple buyers. As for reliability, I do agree, but its just not worth it. As for build quality... idk, they have lots of compromises. Every notebook has its pros and cons, and I for one dont like the macbooks cons. I'm a desktop guy anyway, so not a lot of opinions there.

The reality is that you do have a mac because you LIKE IT. You obviously have money, so why not spend it with stuff you care about? I would never buy a 1Tb m.2 SSD, because it is crazy expensive and does not boots performance for most applications, but people here still buy them like hot cakes, and that is fine. The thing that pisses so many people (like me) is that Apple can do whatever and still get away with it.

Most Apple buyers are blind, fanboys and/or ignorant - and they fund this company with bad practices and bad philosopy. If Apple was a small brand, like so many luxury brands out there (which every segment of the market has), I would be fine. But that "luxury mainstream" vibe is what gets me.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I wouldn't say that's exactly representative of everyone on the forum.

I just think a lot of people have double standards for Google and Apple that will go one way or another.
I won't really elaborate what I mean by that because it's quite on the fence of breaking the CS and I would never wanna do that, no way no how

But you must admit you have hard core fans of a lot of stuff on this forum especially those two that will pass off one thing one company does but when the other company does the same thing they're literally the devil or some shit.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, Taja said:

Most Apple buyers are blind, fanboys and/or ignorant - and they fund this company with bad practices and bad philosopy. If Apple was a small brand, like so many luxury brands out there (which every segment of the market has), I would be fine. But that "luxury mainstream" vibe is what gets me.

That's why I think people should buy used models instead of new ones directly from Apple. Of course if you buy used/refurbished ones and you want one that is a more recent model, you'll still need to pay a lot. I think there are a few retailers out there that sell refurbished macbooks or macs in general that are known. Just make sure you get it from a trusted place/source.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Dongles, lack of ports support and sky high price for what little you get. What else is there? Sure it's an easy to use OS, and has some great apps but that's about all. That and the company is, well I'll just say different. Like not wanting to pay other companies for goods and yet still charging ridiculous prices for their own products. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

"Hate" is a strong word, i would say Im unhappy with some of their current business practices and how they treat customers, i can appreciate some of their products but they do not suit my needs.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Taja said:

Well, you have your reasons. I may not agree with them, and I DONT, but you are well informed to make your own decisions (considering you are in this forum), unlike most apple buyers. As for reliability, I do agree, but its just not worth it. As for build quality... idk, they have lots of compromises. Every notebook has its pros and cons, and I for one dont like the macbooks cons. I'm a desktop guy anyway, so not a lot of opinions there.

The reality is that you do have a mac because you LIKE IT. You obviously have money, so why not spend it with stuff you care about? I would never buy a 1Tb m.2 SSD, because it is crazy expensive and does not boots performance for most applications, but people here still buy them like hot cakes, and that is fine. The thing that pisses so many people (like me) is that Apple can do whatever and still get away with it.

I don’t have any money lol. I’m actually $200 in overdraft and have $33,000 in student debt. It’s just a better machine that will last me longer and be supported for as long as I’m going to use it (5+ years).

Their operating system is heavily overhyped.

Half of their machines are overpriced and/or outdated, looking at the Mac Pro, Mac Mini, and MacBook Air.

At stock, their OS is too dumbed down for most power users.

And moving away from widespread ports, towards ports that are either inferior or have no reason to be a replacement instead of a supplement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Inx said:

It's sad, the old Mac Pro's weren't bad and quite capable machines.  Mine is a 2008, and after Reverse Hackintosh'ing it back to a regular PC, it's quite the capable machine, and don't get me started on the crippled MacPro 4,1's.  I think the last of the good ones were the 3,1's, which is why I've kept mine for 10 years, going on 11.

The old Mac Pros have become collectibles. 

While the trashcan one is just gathering lots of dust 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

• 3 weeks later...

All, I need help. I swear there is a LinusTech Tips (or other Linus Sebastion) video where Linus commented that the 2017 Macbook Pro, while running Windows 10 through bootcamp, has issues with running off the power brick. I thought he said that the MBP runs off the battery, rather than the power brick when plugged in. I'm having this issue and the "genius bar" employees claim its a software (windows) issue.

Yes, I know. Apple sucks. I know. And yes I know that I should have never bought it in the first place. But I'm hoping to get some information on it so I can fix the issue and at least pretend I have a good laptop that runs windows.  Thanks in advance!