What do people hate about Apple?

hambobolubia
13 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I bought a used iPhone 7 for the support. That’s literally the only reason. 

same! i also bought a used iPhone 7 :P 

She/Her

1 minute ago, wasab said:

you usually get 2 years with iphone too before apple slows it down to a crawl with updates and force you to buy a new one. After 2 years, things get ugly. And it isnt like your battery can hold as much juice after 2 years either. 

I've been using a iPhone 6 daily for the last 4 years, side by side with a couple Android phones. It's a little slower but has not degraded in either performance or battery nearly as badly as my not-even-2 years old HTC 10 has. (work phone vs own phone).

I'm likely replacing the HTC with an iPhone this month. Using both daily has made me realize what does and doesn't matter to me in a phone-- long term support, battery, and maps/email/messaging/browsing that doesn't get in my way. I do not accept having only 2 years max of support before your $$$ device becomes unsupported--I'm tired of upgrading every two years to a new $500-800 device only for the android phone to shit the bed 12-15 months into its life.

In contrast, my iPhone still is going strong, is still supported with ios and security updates, and does everything I need it to. Living with both has made a compelling case to get the iPhone for my next personal phone, despite not really liking iOS itself. I can do all the same things in iOS as I have ever bothered to do in Android, so why continue dealing with sub-par manufacturer support?

But, y'know, can't be a techie and not hate apple.

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i wasn't talking about iOS. i do have an iPhone but yeah i don't care about that. i have it because the 1 or 2 years of support you get with most android phones is inexcusable for me because i can do 2+ years with a phone. 

my point was that for me as a tech-savvy user macOS can do a lot for me. 

look, lets compare it this way. we are gonna define computer tech savvy(not photoshop savvy, or final cut pro savvy or even programming experts mind you) as people who know 

1) how to clean reinstall an operating system (so using a boot camp doesnt count) 

2) know how to use command line interface

3) know how to manipulate a file system. (removing files, creating files, find files, and most importantly, what these files are and where they go)

base on these: i can say about 80% of the linux users are tech-savvy, 35% of the windows users are tech savvy,  and less than 10% of the macOS users are tech savvy.

i dont need to spell out the reasons do I? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I've been using a iPhone 6 daily for the last 4 years, side by side with a couple Android phones. It's a little slower but has not degraded in either performance or battery nearly as badly as my not-even-2 years old HTC 10 has. (work phone vs own phone).

I'm likely replacing the HTC with an iPhone this month. Using both daily has made me realize what does and doesn't matter to me in a phone-- long term support, battery, and maps/email/messaging/browsing that doesn't get in my way. I do not accept having only 2 years max of support before your $$$ device becomes unsupported--I'm tired of upgrading every two years to a new $500-800 device only for the android phone to shit the bed 12-15 months into its life.

In contrast, my iPhone still is going strong, is still supported with ios and security updates, and does everything I need it to. Living with both has made a compelling case to get the iPhone for my next personal phone, despite not really liking iOS itself. I can do all the same things in iOS as I have ever bothered to do in Android, so why continue dealing with sub-par manufacturer support?

But, y'know, can't be a techie and not hate apple.

All i know is that my aunt has an iphone 6s and she complains about how it likes to freeze time to time. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 8/6/2018 at 11:59 PM, CallOfSnowgolem. said:

I say all of this knowing that not ALL people hate apple but it is a very common trait among our community

I find it really annoying when people say they are anti-apple for the most BS reasons like if you can't give an actual reason to be anti-apple, then don't, they aren't this evil company that wants the downfall of everyone, they make some amazing products, and have done some amazing innovation (they did make the smartphone), and I'm not an apple fanboy, far from it. I carry a pixel 2 and think it is many times better than any iPhone, but that's my personal taste,  I say all of this because of this  that I find apple fanboys annoying af also, I think what Louis Rossman said that when an apple fanboy says they are the problem and Apple isn't is also very annoying, but I am saying all of this because I got some much hate for saying on another forum page that I really wanted a MacBook Pro. I say all of this out of love, I love the computer building community, we are some of the most  passionate communities, but from the outside we look like a bunch of assholes, bc it seems like we hate almost every other community other than ours, for example, Apple, counsels, non-android, people who buy pre-built systems. I want this community to grow, but it just doesn't look very appealing from the outside. Sorry if this seems really hateful, I just wanted to address this. so Thanks for reading!   

Apple has a tendency to not always sell the best price to performance products, and kinda screw people over. Honestly some of their products like the iphone are ok, but even then there are better alternatives. With computers, especially their laptops, theres almost always a better option for the price.

Just now, atomburst said:

Apple has a tendency to not always sell the best price to performance products, and kinda screw people over. Honestly some of their products like the iphone are ok, but even then there are better alternatives. With computers, especially their laptops, theres almost always a better option for the price.

Define “better alternatives”. Because I don’t think you can do any better than the iPhone 5S. 5+ years of software support and it’s still usable. 

The only alternative I can think of is OnePlus. And you get additional support by unlocking the bootloader and installing community built Operating Systems. Because you just can’t trust the manufacturer. 

Just now, kokakolia said:

Define “better alternatives”. Because I don’t think you can do any better than the iPhone 5S. 5+ years of software support and it’s still usable. 

The only alternative I can think of is OnePlus. And you get additional support by unlocking the bootloader and installing community built Operating Systems. Because you just can’t trust the manufacturer. 

better could depend on what you look for. Honestly I dont have a preference for phone brands like I do Computers, but androids seem the just have more customization in general. Usually though, its not mainstream stuff. pretty much only things advancedish user would like. Also I think things like the razer phone or asus Rog phone are/will be better, because as far as im aware the asus phone will be less than the X and have better specs. at the same time, youre right about the 5s. Its a pretty good phone, its just that, alot of people who build pc's end up learning about their phones too and can sometime be disappointing with apple.

6 minutes ago, atomburst said:

better could depend on what you look for. Honestly I dont have a preference for phone brands like I do Computers, but androids seem the just have more customization in general. Usually though, its not mainstream stuff. pretty much only things advancedish user would like. Also I think things like the razer phone or asus Rog phone are/will be better, because as far as im aware the asus phone will be less than the X and have better specs. at the same time, youre right about the 5s. Its a pretty good phone, its just that, alot of people who build pc's end up learning about their phones too and can sometime be disappointing with apple.

I just don’t get the fascination with OS customization. I just want my apps to run well and the Operating System to be out of the way. I seldom spend more than 1 second in the app tray or 10 seconds in the settings. At the end of the day my phone is just a screen with speaker and a mic. Nothing more.

EDIT: Better specs on the Asus phone!? Hell no! The iPhone has the A11 chip. 

2 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I just don’t get the fascination with OS customization. I just want my apps to run well and the Operating System to be out of the way. I seldom spend more than 1 second in the app tray or 10 seconds in the settings. At the end of the day my phone is just a screen with speaker and a mic. Nothing more.

Which is why I think this question is hard to answer. Kinda just prefrence. I guess some people like the way the os looks better. Maybe some people just dont like supporting apple because of desiscions theyve made. Like I know intel is a good company and they make good products, but I just dont like how they charge so much for their products over amd, which is why I choose ryzen for my first build. just a comparison I guess. and maybe so people like showing off custom os to their friends. to each their own, but this community seems to lean towards android for whatever reason.

Their design direction has been languishing since Steve Jobs died - hardware has gotten arbitrarily anti-consumer and software has languished in failed attempts to compete with other services while offering products that pale in comparison. I still use an iPhone because I kept breaking every android but man is iOS not intuitive to use at all.

14 hours ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

With the pricing I do consider it screwing them over. Apple doesn't make bad products, they're definitely good for people who want simple devices. But for the prices they sell it at - at or above what the "high end" gear for the more tech savy is (IMO) a rip off.

Obviously doesn't mean people can't like apple. If you aren't being a fan boy, feel free. Investments are subjective, and if you use something every day of the week for multiple hours, a 2 grand laptop that works well is probably worth the investment.

But relative to other laptops at similar price points they are (again, IMO) a rip off.

I think that is true. However I must add that Apple products are built like a tank (unless they have inherent design flaws, which happen a lot more often than I like to admit). We still have an iMac from 2009 running flawlessly with only a couple upgrades to storage etc. and I personally still have a macbook air from 2015 thats been used everyday for the past years and it still works great.  

1 minute ago, SamBkamp said:

I think that is true. However I must add that Apple products are built like a tank (unless they have inherent design flaws, which happen a lot more often than I like to admit). We still have an iMac from 2009 running flawlessly with only a couple upgrades to storage etc. and I personally still have a macbook air from 2015 thats been used everyday for the past years and it still works great.  

As much as I do hate apple, and the things it does. I do agree with this, as I have a 2012 Macbook Pro that still works fine today (although I no longer use it), and yes it runs fine, even with the newest OS (shocking, I know right?), also want to note that its only needed 3 repairs since I purchased it, but those were all *mostly* caused by stuff I did.

30 minutes ago, SamBkamp said:

Can't disagree with the build quality

3 hours ago, kokakolia said:

EDIT: Better specs on the Asus phone!? Hell no! The iPhone has the A11 chip. 

Options.

You may not always use it, but when you do you want it to be there. Take the headphone jack as a prime example

4 hours ago, bobbyd52 said:

You know why I hate apple? I could go on and on and on and on about this... but I will just list a few points

• They wayyyyyy overprice every single one of their products (cables and dongles too!)
  • Im not even going to start with iOS and its limits
  • They make it near impossible to upgrade anything other than the RAM on their laptops and desktops
  • They have multiple times suddenly switched to a brand new port (such as USB-C or removing headphone jack), leaving users existing hardware useless without a dongle, that they also overprice (if they want to get a new device)
  • $100 per year for a developer account to publish apps? really?
  • They purposefully make their old products slower, and almost force you to upgrade
  • Apparently they think that anyone under 17 shouldent be able to get a 3rd party browser (on iOS App Store) and no im not kidding. (Look at the age next to the app name: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firefox-web-browser/id989804926?mt=8)

And before anyone thinks that I dont have any experience with apple, and only hate them because I only use Windows and Android, I have had many many apple products in the past (I use no apple products currently). Let me name a few:

• Macbook (Old white model)
  • Macbook Pro
  • 7 iPhones
  • 4 iPod touches
  • 2 iPods
  • 2 iPads
  • Apple TV

If you go through the discussion youll notice that all of these issues have been addressed, but ill give you a TL;DR coz im bored in class:

The price for the Apple products are not even that bad for the components you get and how long these machines last. Also, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Meaning that people think that Apple products are worth the money due to reasons I will get into in a sec. Apple's design ethos has never been for the user to customize and change stuff, theyre target audience at the moment are people who do not need powerful machines (yet they put an i9 in an iMac, Even I thought that was a bit daft). The TA don't need to upgrade RAM or change things as in depth as windows users do.

Onto the OS:

Now, I think that Apple's OS is god tier because its so simple and easy to use, which is part of the appeal. Apple users don't have to worry about viruses or adware, or going deep into the file system to fix files or whatever. Further to that, IOS is so simple and clean, it just works. There is no hassle and you can set up the phone in under 5 minutes. Apple's OSs may be restrictive and controlled but the people who use Apple love that.

As for the changing of dongles, Apple has always done this. They were the company who started the extinction of optical drives and some could even argue that they made the smartphone popular. They have always been the proponents of change and they do this in a radical fashion. Like the sudden removal of the headphone jack as a way to push blue tooth.

As for the slowing down of older phones, check out this video brought to you by iFixit, get your ifixit toolkit for 59.95 

Mac = metal potato

PC = Toaster

Toaster > metal potato

Mac is for work and boils down everything to its basic form (even though I find windows easier) and Pc just is good all round. 

The thing about macs is that it slows down way too often when using Google, my laptop that cost 700 dollars can run google with 10 tabs no probs (Could just be me...)

Like i said many times before, i don't hate Apple, i like most of their products, the problem comes from the price and Apple's position towards non-authorized repair, i think people should be allowed to at least try to repair their products in an alternative way they feel confortable with. 

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Because we can ;)

Spoiler

I don't particularly care for them one way or another I just want my headphone jack.

I'm anti-apple for a couple of reasons.

My primary reasons have to do their business practices and not so much their products. Their policies regarding right to repair, third party repair, jail breaking, third-party recycling, third-party refurbishment, and products being designed to be as difficult to repair as possible, products with limited to no upgradeability whatsoever really don't sit well with me. Apple's obsession with keeping total control over every aspect of a product's life and use seems overly restrictive and unreasonable.

Secondary reasons have to do with some of their customers/supporters/fans. I give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's a small, but very vocal minority of hardcore pro-apple people (and I am not referring in any way to anyone I've met or seen on these forums) who trumpet apple as the greatest thing ever and anyone who disagrees, regardless of reason, is some kind of heretic. It really bugs me.

Tertiary reasons have to do with the products themselves. Now, I give a high degree of deference to people who just use apple products because they like them, because to each their own. However, I've had to use apple products (an iphone and a macbook air) for work from time to time and I don't consider them easy or simple to use. Now, I may be just too entrenched in the PC and Linux ecosystems to give a fair assessment there, but I found doing even simple things like turning on/off location settings on the iphone and installing firefox on the macbook incredibly difficult, time consuming, and counter-intuitive.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I've had bad experiences with my mac, my parent's iPhones, and most of their stuff is overpriced. Software isn't as great in all areas as they tout it to be either.

• 1 month later...

i want to hear from die hard Apple haters, why do you hate Apple so much? what have they done to you to make you hate them so much? 

(note for mods, i don't mean to start a fight in the replies to this, that's not my goal. i understand this topic being locked if you feel it neccesary)

She/Her

I like Apple. I may not like IOS, nor some of their decisions as far as their products go, but I'd say they're really pushing the industry forward. Say what you want about them using outdated CPUs and stuff, but when Apple does something, everyone follows suit.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I like Apple. I may not like IOS, nor some of their decisions as far as their products go, but I'd say they're really pushing the industry forward. Say what you want about them using outdated CPUs and stuff, but when Apple does something, everyone follows suit.

yes they do. not always in ways i like though... rip headphone jack. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

yes they do. not always in ways i like though... rip headphone jack. 

Yes, as I said, we may not like the changes, but they'll happen sooner or later, right? If Apple didn't do it, someone else would have (albeit they would probably have waited a few more years).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Nerfed xeons in their mac pros, overheating macbooks every generation with seemingly no beta testing, the cult of apple

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad