LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

27 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

Day Two Summary:

Untitled.jpg.096e1dbeff7f7545ec01babd0697a845.jpg

Day two has been an interesting one!

The fanless mini PC stated making strange noises and has been temporary stopped. I somewhat expected issues (and they will be noted on it's review). I suppose folding is a rather good benchmark! It only generates about 2000 ppd so I am not very concerned.

The low end fanless thing I got to be my firewall/router is similar.  Did a stint of it folding last time to break it in.

Haven't folded for a while, but I figured I'd add to the cause even if I'm too late to register.

It's too bad that the intel cards can't be used for folding currently. I've got one I've been toying with lately. 

Arghhhh why does F@H have to use port 8080 to get WUs, firewall is hating that. Just use http ffs. Wasted ages setting up like 6 servers lol. Guess I'll put them back on BOINC, lameeee. Can't exactly ask for firewall rules for these totally legit usage servers haha

Yay, it was the bonus points all along.

It increased my gains as much as I expected.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu?q=LeventErgun

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

While looking up the random lockups issue on the 5950X, it seems the earlier chips were prone to stability issues, particularly when idle.  Simple solution for now then to keep it under load, which fortunately since disabling PBO, Folding on the CPU doesn't seem to cause the huge GPU performance drop any more.

That's really bizarre as the cores clock a LOT lower, so I wonder if its some sort of memory bottleneck?

I've been running flat out during the night when I have the AC on anyway due to humidity.  Also re-formatted my stats table so comparing GPU and CPU performance is easier.

image.thumb.png.214b25feb87091b27149cadc6297c781.png

where all envy of those gpus....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

While looking up the random lockups issue on the 5950X, it seems the earlier chips were prone to stability issues, particularly when idle.  Simple solution for now then to keep it under load, which fortunately since disabling PBO, Folding on the CPU doesn't seem to cause the huge GPU performance drop any more.

That's really bizarre as the cores clock a LOT lower, so I wonder if its some sort of memory bottleneck?

I've been running flat out during the night when I have the AC on anyway due to humidity.  Also re-formatted my stats table so comparing GPU and CPU performance is easier.

image.thumb.png.214b25feb87091b27149cadc6297c781.png

no M2 pro max? 🤣 you going to get the M3? i hear they are scary fast!!!

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

5 hours ago, AndrewHamOp said:

-snip-

Folding with a Pi.  Nether thought about doing that, how well are they doing?

On 10/2/2023 at 2:55 AM, GOTSpectrum said:

image.png.83e3ccf16fac6821519da0557053d8d9.png

Event Starts November 1st (00:00 GMT)

Ends December 6th (23:59 GMT)

https://forms.gle/KbbougQ7xB91jomi6

This event will be eligible for F@H event badges.

image.png.88bf63f33f4c7ad6ac1d51595315f3cc.png image.png.5317c842b1efe6e78f4ca7e37fe0b5c4.png image.png.1d891e02773730f5833790b228291d6a.png

Please follow this thread to keep up to date!

Please read the whole of this post before asking any questions and use the links provided at the end for help and support!

Minimum Participation Requirements For Prizes

20 Days with activity*, 500,000 Points & 40 WU

(*activity is defined as completing at least 1WU for the 24 hour period)

These must be met DURING the five weeks of the event. Points produced before the start date do not count!

Prizes!!!

(possibly more to come)

Community donated prizes:

5x $20 Steam codes - Donated by @Jawa_Juice

PC Building Simulator Steam code - Donated by @JamesTheFolf

3x $50 USD equivalent Amazon gift cards - Donated by @IkeaGnome

1x GOG Game key - Donated by @SirSaibot

40x Steam Game Keys - Donated by @SirSaibot

LMG Prizes?

20x 100USD LTTStore giftcards

Folding@home is a network of volunteer computers distributed around the world that aims to perform biomedical research with the single intent of helping to further understand and develop cures for a range of diseases such as; Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. The exact research that is done is simulating the 'folding' of proteins in the body, this is important because the function of a protein id directly related to its physical shape. And this, when the protein is created in the body it needs to reshuffle its shape to get into the correct structure to perform its task. Many illnesses can be linked to faulty proteins in the body such as many cancers and neurological issues, along with a wide number of other general health concerns. 

If you are wondering what exactly has been done with all this computing power then you can check out the papers written by the scientists and researchers that use the folding network, I will warn you though many of them are very in-depth reads and in turn, this means they are often fairly technical.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

To qualify for badges you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 500k points, 40WUs, and 20 days of activity over the course of the whole month. This is subject to change for future events as we find out what the sweet spot is to include as many people as possible but not make it too easy to just get a free badge. 

PASSKEYS! (they're really important)

Don't forget to get yourself a passkey from the link below to ensure that you hit the points requirement, the passkey is a feature that was added a while ago to the Folding Client that helps to authenticate each user on the network, an added bonus of this is the fact that it allows you to qualify for QRB(Quick Return Bonus) Points, QRBs are extra points you earn for submitting work units more quickly, such as if you have faster hardware or let the client fold full time, rather than on idle. QRB credit is awarded after 10 WUs have been submitted. You can get your passkey from the link below.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

This is just a PSA for the new guys here, the folding team is a small close knit community, so here's a few things I'd like you all to keep in mind. It doesn't hurt to say thank you, if someone has genuinely helped you out don't forget to drop a reaction on their posts, help others where ever you can and finally we are a team first and always. 

Check your stats out here! Bare in mind it can take some time for your first WUs to appear so leave it a day or two.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

Please follow the guides below to help with set-up and troubleshooting.

Just heard about this on the wan show and coincidentally started folding a few days ago under the team but the Google forms link in now closed, did I miss it?

8 minutes ago, AyaanMAG said:

Just heard about this on the wan show and coincidentally started folding a few days ago under the team but the Google forms link in now closed, did I miss it?

yes, signups closed at noon gmt on the 31st of October.

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

33 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

no M2 pro max? 🤣 you going to get the M3? i hear they are scary fast!!!

The Mac Mini was a curiosity as it seemed impressive for the price, but I actually found 8GB RAM rather lacking.  But I knew Linux was coming to it, so it was worth the gamble.

It was impressive enough that I felt the need to get the Macbook M1 Pro, as I've never seen a PC laptop with such great image quality and sound.  Though I ended up using it a lot less than expected thanks to the Pandemic.

But overall, really not an Apple fan and hate MacOS itself.  Really nervous about the Macbook given all the problems Louis Rossmann has highlighted about serious design flaws by Apple that makes them extremely easy to break in normal usage.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

16 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

Day 3 of the folding event.... (Scrolling hardware sites looking at GPUs...)

what type you looking AT....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

13 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Day two blog post, interesting... 

This is my first time participating in this event and I'm stoked. It's insanely cool to see the recent uptick in team participation as well. I may not place high up on the leaderboard with my hardware, but that's perfectly okay. I'm just glad to finally put my rig to good use, as it sits mostly untouched with little gaming these days. 😁

Edit: Shoutout to @LAR_Systems for the awesome Folding at Home in the Dark extension. It's so much better than the stock web control! 

image.thumb.png.75748428e41e7cab32e5aeaa9f62ee42.png

Edited by TMan95
Credited @LAR_Systems

4 hours ago, Dark_Hunter said:

Folding with a Pi.  Nether thought about doing that, how well are they doing?

They're doing pretty well, I'm getting a little over 2900 PPD on Pi #01 which is overclocked running at 2.2GHz. Pi #02 is an older revision of the 4 that doesn't handle higher frequencies as well, so I'm getting almost 2650 PPD at 1.8GHz with that. It'll be interesting to see how the Pi 5 handles once I get a hold of one.

I'm heading up to my grandpa's house today to reboot my server (which is really just my old PC with no dedicated GPU). It's an i7 4790k so the PPD won't be crazy compared to my 7800x3D but it'll certainly be better than leaving it idle.

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

19 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

We did try to get WAN show shout-outs for the 4 weeks preceding the event, but due to one reason or another, we ended up with the shout-out going out at the very last min. We did extend the signup times to as late as we possibly could manage but in all honesty, I felt a little let down by LMG. 

I swear there was a post in this thread about LMG checking to see WHICH hardware they were going to put into prizes this year...but I can't find it anymore and we have gift certificates from them.  Was I dreaming?  Or was that said and then deleted?

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

I swear there was a post in this thread about LMG checking to see WHICH hardware they were going to put into prizes this year...but I can't find it anymore and we have gift certificates from them.  Was I dreaming?  Or was that said and then deleted?

Linus said during WAN they will look into hardware for prizes, I have not heard anything from them though 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Here is the section in Wan show that @GOTSpectrum is referencing

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Hey @LAR_Systems (sorry for the ping), but I don't appear to turn up in the league? 

Fore reference my folding name is Jeshurun

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

Here is the section in Wan show that @GOTSpectrum is referencing

I'm not sure what he meant, but I originally interpreted it as him planning in joining in and folding along with us in some capacity, but after rewatching a couple of times maybe he did mean hardware as prizes.

1 hour ago, Shlouski said:

I'm not sure what he meant, but I originally interpreted it as him planning in joining in and folding along with us in some capacity, but after rewatching a couple of times maybe he did mean hardware as prizes.

Definitely sounded like he was checking with someone about hardware prizes. If it was personal folding he wouldn't need approval from anyone, and  if it was folding on their office machines Luke was right there.

Edited by Len12345
mining -> folding

11 minutes ago, Len12345 said:

Definitely sounded like he was checking with someone about hardware prizes. If it was personal mining he wouldn't need approval from anyone, and  if it was mining on their office machines Luke was right there.

Folding is not mining, please don't dilute the meaning of what we do with the harmful activity that is mining 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

55 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

What the heck was that?

fah.JPG

They decided to burn through the 300USD credit on google cloud in 3 hours /s 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240