LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

On 11/1/2023 at 1:47 AM, cbigfoot said:

@Gorgon DANG that's a bit fast lol... @GOTSpectrum do you need to create or can Gorgon?

I can do it 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I left the window open last night, finally got around to getting in here after being out all day and it's a frosty 14C... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

I'm sorry, fellow folding freaks. I didn't buy a new GPU.

I, uh, instead realized that X99 doesn't have an actual motherboard-enforced memory cap and ordered 512GB in RDIMMs.

So...

You Disgust Me Disgusted GIF - You Disgust Me Disgusted ...

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If the WU was using more cores than the new value I believe it gets dumped, but it may be using less cores than your new value so can just carry on.

Although I'm sure I've had them dumped before when I tried increasing the value, so I wonder if it depends on the WU itself or is just a random glitch?

well it did "lose" some progress, then quickly "caught onto" it, it was like 3% but around 40%ish range

and I was looking in task manager at all threads, and they all seem to be no change in utilization, no new cores working, no old cores working more nothing

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I started up my tablet to get a few more PPD and it was working fine, but After a few workloads it started only using 8 of my 20 threads (I’m guessing it is only using the e-cores). Any ideas how to force it back up to the full compliment?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Just now, Schnoz said:

F@H's v7 release is quite old and it significantly predates Alder Lake. Try using the v8 client, perhaps.

If I pause the current WUs and install V8, will the new client be able to continue where V7 left off?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

2 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

If I pause the current WUs and install V8, will the new client be able to continue where V7 left off?

No.  But I don't think this is the issue anyway, some WUs just use a different number of threads than others.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

No.  But I don't think this is the issue anyway, some WUs just use a different number of threads than others.

Well that limitation to 8 threads basically renders completing that WU impossible within the time limit.

It’s been running for a while now and currently thinks it needs another 6 days to complete. I have less than 5 to the deadline.

I think, I’ll give it another hour and a half (until the current GPU task is finished). If after that, the CPU WU still has an expected time that is too long, I’ll uninstall V7 and install V8.

He/Him

Also, I've begun folding on my Primary PC (I didn't like that people were overtaking me 🙂 ) and it is trying to fold on integrated graphics (slot 1) as well as my dedicated graphics (slot 2) and cpu cores (slot 0). Is that efficent or should I stop the igpu folding and let the CPU folding have another thread?

It seems to be getting more PPD than my CPU is getting per thread.

He/Him

Missed the signup period, but hey I'll still fold for the team anyways. Maybe this will be a good long-term stress test for my new system. Good luck to you all! 

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

7 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Also, I've begun folding on my Primary PC

image.jpeg.6cc965ac30ee763a4bd1f44821d79a67.jpeg

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Woah now there's some serious utilization, good thing we're going into winter here. I'm thinking about installing the FaH client on my Dad's PC since his GPU is much better than mine. It's been quite a long time since I folded for LTT, and last time I was running practical e-waste so it didn't contribute much. Question for all you veteran folders. Which is better for folding, CPU or GPU? If there's some FAQ doc that I missed please send it, I don't use the forum very often.

Edit: Ah also I know it's probably fine, but is that a safe temp for my 7800x3D? I read they can go up to 89C so I set my thermal limit to 85C in the BIOS. I'm running -30 In Curve Optimizer.

woah!.PNG

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

33 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

Woah now there's some serious utilization, good thing we're going into winter here. I'm thinking about installing the FaH client on my Dad's PC since his GPU is much better than mine. It's been quite a long time since I folded for LTT, and last time I was running practical e-waste so it didn't contribute much. Question for all you veteran folders. Which is better for folding, CPU or GPU? If there's some FAQ doc that I missed please send it, I don't use the forum very often.

Edit: Ah also I know it's probably fine, but is that a safe temp for my 7800x3D? I read they can go up to 89C so I set my thermal limit to 85C in the BIOS. I'm running -30 In Curve Optimizer.

woah!.PNG

The temperatures here all look perfectly safe to me — they’re more than reasonable, your PC seems pretty well cooled.

Generally speaking, as far as CPU vs GPU goes for consumer hardware, you’re likely to see a better return both in terms of actual points per day and points per watt from a GPU.

1 minute ago, Baha said:

The temperatures here all look perfectly safe to me — they’re more than reasonable, your PC seems pretty well cooled.

Generally speaking, as far as CPU vs GPU goes for consumer hardware, you’re likely to see a better return both in terms of actual PPD (Points Per Day) and PPD per watt from a GPU.

Yeah I figured my temps were ok, but it always helps to have a sanity check. I'm running an NH-U12A with a pretty aggressive fan curve.

When my Dad gets home from work today I'll ask him about running the FaH client on his PC as well, at least for a few days.

One other thing. I sometimes run a Minecraft server on my machine which only needs one or two cores when I've only got one or two people online. Obviously if I was to get on myself I would pause the FaH client but I figure my system can handle both if I tell FaH to only use 14 threads as per the FAQ which I found. However when I get my thread count to 14 it doesn't seem to stop using any threads. Is this normal or is something bugged? I'm using HWinfo64 and task manager to verify. 

Any way to still get in the group? I just learned about this in the last WAN show VOD.

5 minutes ago, LoneStarr said:

Any way to still get in the group? I just learned about this in the last WAN show VOD.

Same here, but sadly I don't think so.

Time to start folding on my 2 overclocked Raspberry Pis! xD

rpitime.PNG

18 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

One other thing. I sometimes run a Minecraft server on my machine which only needs one or two cores when I've only got one or two people online. Obviously if I was to get on myself I would pause the FaH client but I figure my system can handle both if I tell FaH to only use 14 threads as per the FAQ which I found. However when I get my thread count to 14 it doesn't seem to stop using any threads. Is this normal or is something bugged? I'm using HWinfo64 and task manager to verify. 

Something I would check, in this instance, is to pause folding on specifically the GPU and see if those two threads go down in usage. The process that runs folding on a fast graphics card needs to keep the graphics card fed with information, and that will typically consume two threads.

12 minutes ago, LoneStarr said:

Unfortunately no. However you are welcome to fold along with us.

And as GOT has previously stated, folding month is annual and you're welcome to join us next November, and/or for the folding sprint which will be something in spring/early summer. 

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 minutes ago, Baha said:

Something I would check, in this instance, is to pause folding on specifically the GPU and see if those two threads go down in usage. The process that runs folding on a fast graphics card needs to keep the graphics card fed with information, and that will typically consume two threads.

Alright I just checked that. It seemed to make a bit of a difference but honestly I'll just keep folding at -1 until one of my friends starts complaining that the server tick speed is running slow...hahaha.

5 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Unfortunately no. However you are welcome to fold along with us.

And as GOT has previously stated, folding month is annual and you're welcome to join us next November, and/or for the folding sprint which will be something in spring/early summer. 

That's too bad. Thanks for following up.

23 minutes ago, LoneStarr said:

18 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

Same here, but sadly I don't think so.

We did try to get WAN show shout-outs for the 4 weeks preceding the event, but due to one reason or another, we ended up with the shout-out going out at the very last min. We did extend the signup times to as late as we possibly could manage but in all honesty, I felt a little let down by LMG. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

We did try to get WAN show shout-outs for the 4 weeks preceding the event, but due to one reason or another, we ended up with the shout-out going out at the very last min. We did extend the signup times to as late as we possibly could manage but in all honesty, I felt a little let down by LMG. 

Yeah I thought that was kind of strange. After seeing that last Wan Show VOD I remembered that you guys do this every year, so I'll make sure to remember for next time. In all honestly, the mission itself is enough motivation for me to lend my processing power. My sister had some health problems this past year so I kinda take the FaH mission personally now. I'm spooling up my 2 RPis right now, every little bit counts right? xD

image.png.c6102a3eb729f984584dfbcebb885b8b.png

Too the moon! 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240