LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

Woot!

Finally got Drivers to play nice with the vm,

Gonna hopefully have a couple WUs done before the pull

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

when is the pull?? im excited to see what my day 2 looks like 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

13 minutes ago, Dark_Hunter said:

I think at midnight GMT.

an hour and a half-ish* sweet! 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

So I will be handling the update single-handedly today, but don't worry, I mostly know what I'm doing 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I am working on getting a Ryzen 3 3100 system added to my fleet. Its only problems are, i don`t know if the motherboard works, i still need to RMA the power supply and i still don`t have any working graphics card for it.

I hope, i get all of this done before the end of the folding month.

Also, does anyone have an idea what to do with an RTX2070 that has a total short on the power rails? It makes a great paperweight.

3 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I am working on getting a Ryzen 3 3100 system added to my fleet. Its only problems are, i don`t know if the motherboard works, i still need to RMA the power supply and i still don`t have any working graphics card for it.

Also, does anyone have an idea what to do with an RTX2070 that has a total short on the power rails? It makes a great paperweight.

@IkeaGnome is the only person I can think of who may be able to help 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

46 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

So I will be handling the update single-handedly today, but don't worry, I mostly know what I'm doing 

Guess I'll do nothing then 🙃

Data pull successful, validation in progress 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

38 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Unless you have any previous repair experience, I'd say display piece or potentially find a repair tech to fix it.

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

29 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Data pull successful, validation in progress 

Validation successful, blog post to come within the next hour 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

10 minutes ago, AndrewHamOp said:

Unless you have any previous repair experience, I'd say display piece or potentially find a repair tech to fix it.

Actually, my main job is electronics repair. I am pretty good at SMD soldering, but i have zero experience working on graphics cards. It would be really nice to know, what the chances are, that the GPU can be saved.

Day two blog post, interesting... 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

44 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Actually, my main job is electronics repair. I am pretty good at SMD soldering, but i have zero experience working on graphics cards. It would be really nice to know, what the chances are, that the GPU can be saved.

Depending on what voltage rails are shorted, it's possible that it's only a small bypass cap or something similar that went bad. Maybe check this video?

Fail - First. Attempt. In. Learning. Just because you fell flat on your face and knocked out a tooth the first time doesn't mean it's not worth trying a second, third, or fourth time. Keep trying until you run out of teeth! If you're still trying, they also make pretty convening dental implants nowadays... Don't give up because someone told you.

Ryzen 7-7800x3D | 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30 | GTX980 AMP! | Noctua NH-U12A | 1x 2TB 970 Evo Plus (boot), 1x 1TB Evo Plus, 1x WD Red Plus 3TB HDD |SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850Fractal Design Pop Air RGB |

Is there a way I can still join this competition? I can meet the minimum requirements for prizes still, I just can't fill out the form.

1 minute ago, GamemodeCat said:

Is there a way I can still join this competition? I can meet the minimum requirements for prizes still, I just can't fill out the form.

Doesn't seem like it. I'd still fold for the team personally, but that's up to you.

well dang... I just got thinking that folding month should be coming up, I should check...I'm 3 days late. =(

Hope you all have the most epic folding month yet!

-edit-

I'm going to run for a while anyway (it's cold outside...)

3 setups of varying strength:

Ryzen 5 5600X3D

Radeon RX 7800XT

Ryzen 5 2600

Radeon RX 6700XT

Ryzen 7 2700X

Nvidia Quadro P600

Edited by Gargone77
added info

I chopped up a second bracket, installed both modified cards in one chassis, and let them run a while. Here's the results I'm getting so far:

image.png.c8e94c88b9a7d67e26a181acfdd7d56e.png

On top is the two unmodified cards. That chassis is sitting on top of the other one.

I'm honestly a little disappointed. Replacing the bracket called for repasting, and I only replaced the thermal pads on one of these cards (because the other one's seemed pliable enough.) 

Both chassis are running the fans fixed at 40%, which is a little lower (and quieter) than they were before. Sitting right next to both of them running is tolerable (which was the goal, but I've got my industrial hearing protectors nearby for trying the fans out in full blowymatron mode). They're both hovering between 390 and 410 watts.

How closely should I manage the hot spot temperature? I get a little worried when it lingers over 90 degrees.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

After literally a full day of tinkering I've finally got both my Pi 4s and my PC folding. What took the longest was configuring the network settings so I could manage the RPIs with my main PC. Assuming my aging GTX 980 doesn't kick the bucket I'll fold for the whole month, and I'll probably keep the PIs running 24/7. I was thinking about picking up a Pi 5 for the holiday season but I didn't know what I'd do with it. Now I do!

Hah, as I'm writing this I forgot to set my overclock on the first Pi. That explains the lower score. Happy folding everyone!

Pi 2.PNG

Pi 1.PNG

Main PC.PNG

Day Two Summary:

Untitled.jpg.096e1dbeff7f7545ec01babd0697a845.jpg

Day two has been an interesting one!

The fanless mini PC stated making strange noises and has been temporary stopped. I somewhat expected issues (and they will be noted on it's review). I suppose folding is a rather good benchmark! It only generates about 2000 ppd so I am not very concerned.

I did a little bit of tune up on the systems. Hopefully that will show when a bunch of the WU are done.

Also, thank you @LAR_Systems! The site is amazing and has been so helpful!

I am so impressed by the amount points the team making, while I sit at #283.

That's the way I like it! Stay warm.

After quite the trip home we're finally off to the races on 2 of the 3 machines. I'll get the third going tomorrow 😉

image.png.6d4339020ce068db9ac8d226c9226eaf.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

While looking up the random lockups issue on the 5950X, it seems the earlier chips were prone to stability issues, particularly when idle.  Simple solution for now then to keep it under load, which fortunately since disabling PBO, Folding on the CPU doesn't seem to cause the huge GPU performance drop any more.

That's really bizarre as the cores clock a LOT lower, so I wonder if its some sort of memory bottleneck?

I've been running flat out during the night when I have the AC on anyway due to humidity.  Also re-formatted my stats table so comparing GPU and CPU performance is easier.

image.thumb.png.214b25feb87091b27149cadc6297c781.png

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7