LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

Is there a database or google sheet of some kind that lays out what results are typical/average for a given piece of hardware? I'd like to make sure my cpu and gpu are running up to their full potential or at least at parity with what is typical. 

2 minutes ago, chmiaz said:

Is there a database or google sheet of some kind that lays out what results are typical/average for a given piece of hardware? I'd like to make sure my cpu and gpu are running up to their full potentia or at least at parity with what is typical. 

I usually reference this https://folding.lar.systems/

2 minutes ago, chmiaz said:

Is there a database or google sheet of some kind that lays out what results are typical/average for a given piece of hardware? I'd like to make sure my cpu and gpu are running up to their full potentia or at least at parity with what is typical. 

https://folding.lar.systems/

There's pages for both GPU and CPU.

9 minutes ago, chmiaz said:

Is there a database or google sheet of some kind that lays out what results are typical/average for a given piece of hardware? I'd like to make sure my cpu and gpu are running up to their full potential or at least at parity with what is typical. 

All of the graphics cards I have seem to be running at like 75% of the ppd that I had been getting last I checked. I assume that it has to do with the influx of people folding due to the event. I suppose I’ll keep an eye on my projections these next several weeks!

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

@jakkuh_t @AlexTheGreatish Think you can talk Linus into doing a long term benchmark of his pool/server loop by participating in the event? Might be neat to plot pc temps against the weather (temperature outside) and see if or how much that affects cooling potential? Would be a fun way to make a video about folding and get another video out of that build haha

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

5 hours ago, Baha said:

Well, I ended up having an extremely regrettable hardware failure the very first day of the event -- turns out my boot SSD was from a faulty batch of Samsung drives that got soft recalled, and my Windows install bricked itself today!

I have it up and folding now, should be good to go.

... And then I see my 0 PPD in the daily blog, check the server that should also be running, and find out that the folding service failed out completely a few days ago after a month of running stable. Hhhhhh.

Well, I just got that restarted, and kicked on both of the laptops in my apartment to boot. I'm curious as to where I'll land on the leaderboard, if today's point totals hold up, I should get pretty far. Guess we'll see how much the false start kicks my butt long-term!

well that took me a while to figure out.

(flair in sig build)

keep shutting off...

i cleaned both gpus.

i did not even think and put them in different order.

1 of the fan cases on the gpu. is slight longer then the other one...

it keep the slot from being fully plug in.

took me a day to  figure out...

pc looks like it threw up. but no time to waste for folding.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

12 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

All of the graphics cards I have seem to be running at like 75% of the ppd that I had been getting last I checked. I assume that it has to do with the influx of people folding due to the event. I suppose I’ll keep an eye on my projections these next several weeks!

I've been seeing a lot of WU assignment failures on my box that has the highest end GPU in it today, which will likely decrease PPD on my end as well:

01:30:23:ERROR:WU01:FS02:Exception: Server did not assign work unit

also check pass key. i had to make a new one.

old one was not working anymore.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Aww man! Just joined the forum and missed the sign up for the event. Excited to fold with you all though! Good luck everyone with their power bills 😅

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

1 hour ago, HoldSquat said:

Aww man! Just joined the forum and missed the sign up for the event. Excited to fold with you all though! Good luck everyone with their power bills 😅

there are atleast 2 events evey year, with sometimes little sprint events in between. You are definitely welcome in the next ones!

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

there are atleast 2 events evey year, with sometimes little sprint events in between. You are definitely welcome in the next ones!

Oh I'll definitely fold then too! Thanks!

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

run a total of 4 or 6 wu . atm in 2 main machine.

knock on wood.

going to see what last machine finish wu. but it got a full 24 hour one.

Does this setting even do anything? It utilizes my CPU same no matter what I enter:

image.png.02cd740a9831f5b163338461d59d27da.png

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Or is utilization wrong value to look at when it comes to folding speed?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

9 hours ago, Captainmarino said:

When my wife was pregnant with each of our three girls, we didn't find out the gender of any of them prior to birth. So as to not refer to any of them as "it", we would refer to each by a name that we would NEVER name a kid in real life. The first one was Oscar. The second was Snuffleupagus/Aloysius (that's Snuffy's actual first name!). And our third was called Grover 😋

P.S. No offense to any of you that may be named Oscar, Aloysius, Grover, or Snuffleupagus! WE didn't want to name any of our kids those names, but YOU are awesome and I love your name! 😀

We are expecting our second kid in february! for the first kid, we called her Bean Bunny, and the second is named French Fry - we also do not find out the gender haha it's so much more fun this way. 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

1 hour ago, podkall said:

Or is utilization wrong value to look at when it comes to folding speed?

that number sets the threads you will utilize. If you are already running a WU, i don't think you can scale that back if a WU is in progress. so it will complete the WU with your previous settings before starting the next WU with the value you put in.

1 hour ago, podkall said:

Does this setting even do anything? It utilizes my CPU same no matter what I enter:

image.png.02cd740a9831f5b163338461d59d27da.png

30 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

that number sets the threads you will utilize. If you are already running a WU, i don't think you can scale that back if a WU is in progress. so it will complete the WU with your previous settings before starting the next WU with the value you put in.

In addition to this, the UI around this setting is a bit confusing -- if you just enter a number of threads, then click "OK", it won't always save the value you put into the box. You need to enter a number, click somewhere in the window outside of the box to get it to set correctly (you'll see the down arrow next to the number fill in rather than remaining grayed out), then click "OK".

On 10/30/2023 at 2:40 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

There's an unofficial Android app but drawback is it doesn't let you control individual slots.

there is also an unofficial iPhone app that does allow for individual control 

20 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Very interesting. 

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=1300005

You should be at 2.5-3m PPD with those cards. Can you check to see their % usage and power draw via Afterburner or HWinfo?

Adding to this, I let both system run wild at maximum power limit for the last 20 hours, and this is what I got. I am honestly still clueless.

I got 150 wus now. I also just hit the 80% mark on bonus maybe that is the problem? If not I am not going to bother folding after this event. Identical system to mine would have gotten 3-4x more points.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 18.08.31.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 hours ago, Denning21 said:

We are expecting our second kid in february! for the first kid, we called her Bean Bunny, and the second is named French Fry - we also do not find out the gender haha it's so much more fun this way. 

Congratulations!

Love the names! LOL. On a slightly sadistic note, I love how it makes some people squirm when you tell them that you don't know what you're having 😄

23 minutes ago, Levent said:

Adding to this, I let both system run wild at maximum power limit for the last 20 hours, and this is what I got. I am honestly still clueless.

I got 150 wus now. I also just hit the 80% mark on bonus maybe that is the problem? If not I am not going to bother folding after this event. Identical system to mine would have gotten 3-4x more points.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 18.08.31.png

Its not registered a bonus yet.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, RollinLower said:

it does pause folding for a second if I change the value though

2 hours ago, Baha said:

In addition to this, the UI around this setting is a bit confusing -- if you just enter a number of threads, then click "OK", it won't always save the value you put into the box. You need to enter a number, click somewhere in the window outside of the box to get it to set correctly (you'll see the down arrow next to the number fill in rather than remaining grayed out), then click "OK".

I think they maybe fixed it because I didn't do that and it changed value and the folding paused for a second then continued, but maybe the WU is just locked for specific amount of cores to the setting as it was started

current PC:

PCs I used before:

1 minute ago, podkall said:

it does pause folding for a second if I change the value though

I think they maybe fixed it because I didn't do that and it changed value and the folding paused for a second then continued, but maybe the WU is just locked for specific amount of cores to the setting as it was started

If the WU was using more cores than the new value I believe it gets dumped, but it may be using less cores than your new value so can just carry on.

Although I'm sure I've had them dumped before when I tried increasing the value, so I wonder if it depends on the WU itself or is just a random glitch?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's a cool/useful link

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station