Elon Musk announces removal of Twitter bird logo, potentially by tomorrow!

Summary

Elon Musk tweeted a video of a flickering 'X' and then in Twitter's voice chat Spaces, confirmed that the iconic blue bird logo would be replaced by the X.

This comes after musk acquired Twitter and renamed the company "X Corp", and is likely part of his desire to create a ubiquitous "everything app" for payments, social interactions, chats, etc. similar to China's WeeChat. The change could be enacted as early as tomorrow (Monday 24th of July), "if a good enough X logo is posted".

Quotes

According to reports, [Elon Musk] wants to create a "super app" called "X" which is similar to China's WeChat.

He said on Sunday he was looking to change Twitter's logo, tweeting: "And soon we shall bid adieu to the Twitter brand and, gradually, all the birds."

He then added: "If a good enough X logo is posted tonight, we'll make [it] go live worldwide tomorrow."

My thoughts

Another day another Musk's Twitter controversy? Apart from the part where nobody could read tweets without signing in, this will probably be the most visible change to Twitter. Some people will likely say that this, this is the final nail in the coffin and everyone will switch, but I honestly doubt it; the users have been through so much, and the mass exodus and immediate downfall never really came to be. I'd love to be wrong though (although ideally not to the benefit of Threads, but that's the most likely).

We also need to wait and see if the madlad actually does it. He's made empty promises before, and taken u-turns on big changes like the sign-in-only viewing. But maybe we'll wake up tomorrow, and there will be a barrage of confused tweets about what the new 'X' app is and why it changed.

Sources

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66284304

https://www.reuters.com/technology/elon-musk-says-twitter-change-logo-adieu-all-birds-2023-07-23/

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/23/business/elon-musk-twitter-logo.html

Fun fact, x.com now redirects to Twitter as well, so looks like Twitter is getting more than a new logo.. likely a new name. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

XCOM ? Alien invasion ? 😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

image.gif.3b143161f1329e3118f947c00343aa5e.gif

"If a good enough X logo is posted tonight, we'll make [it] go live worldwide tomorrow."

I see, make something for free for the billionaire and he'll reward you with exposure.

Anyway, if anyone tries to sell you on the potential of WeChat, turn around an run as fast as you can. This is just another one of those attempts to lock you into a single ecosystem so he can start to fleece you once you're dependent on it. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

59 minutes ago, Silverflame said:

This comes after musk acquired Twitter and renamed the company "X Corp", and is likely part of his desire to create a ubiquitous "everything app" for payments, social interactions, chats, etc. similar to China's WeeChat. The change could be enacted as early as tomorrow (Monday 24th of July), "if a good enough X logo is posted".

Ah, so the Sith Grand Plan has been revealed!  Taking Twitter in this direction actually seems logical; it starts as one massive group chat (or network of group chats), then increases the site's capabilities while also increasing its profitability, just as WeChat did.  Musk's previous changes, however predatory and/or unpopular they may be, make way more sense now.

58 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Fun fact, x.com now redirects to Twitter as well, so looks like Twitter is getting more than a new logo.. likely a new name. 

He's literally censoring the Twitter logo.  Almost as if you shouldn't have been using the site in the first place.  Subtly hilarious!  Shows why Musk is famous for his trolling.

51 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

image.gif.3b143161f1329e3118f947c00343aa5e.gif

Ain't that the truth!  Lmao

I see, make something for free for the billionaire and he'll reward you with exposure.

You laugh, but such exposure can be life-changing for an artist.  If the skills are there, more exposure is often all they need!  That's a lot of incentive.

Of course Musk should do more with the money he has! (too many examples to list there)  I'm just saying it's still great crowdsourcing!

Anyway, if anyone tries to sell you on the potential of WeChat, turn around an run as fast as you can. This is just another one of those attempts to lock you into a single ecosystem so he can start to fleece you once you're dependent on it. 

Could not agree with this more!  WeChat is a bigger threat to your security & privacy than TikTok is...by design.  X would be no different.

59 minutes ago, Silverflame said:

Another day another Musk's Twitter controversy? Apart from the part where nobody could read tweets without signing in, this will probably be the most visible change to Twitter. Some people will likely say that this, this is the final nail in the coffin and everyone will switch, but I honestly doubt it; the users have been through so much, and the mass exodus and immediate downfall never really came to be.

On one hand, leaving a site because of a basic rebrand is a really dumb reason to leave.

On the other hand, I see your point, and it's probably the most disturbing thing about all of this.  Frequent Twitter users have proven themselves to be that  addicted/tethered to the site thus far.  That level of loyalty will be to their detriment in the long run, whether X fails or not.  Even if they just jump to Threads, their loyalty to that same type of platform would still be to their detriment.

I have no doubt Elon Musk has been pleasantly surprised by the loyalty of his userbase at X Gon' Give It To Ya Enterprises.  If only people today were smart and realized that action catalyzes meaningful change, not whining and crying like a 4yo who didn't get their way.  If they still have an account on that site, they are complicit in whatever becomes of it, at least given the current contexts.  In case anyone reading this doesn't understand why, it's because they are still choosing to feed X's server traffic and Google hits and data collection despite all the ways they've been abused as a user/customer.

I'm rooting for the mass exodus.  The users have the power to kill the monstrosity.  They just need to find the guts to do it.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Fun fact, x.com now redirects to Twitter as well

That must have cost almost as much as Twitter itself...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

That must have cost almost as much as Twitter itself...

I think Elon's owned it the whole time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.com

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I think Elon's owned it the whole time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.com

I LOVE services with descriptive unique names rebranding to "Max", "One", "Plus" and now BEST of all "X"! It fits very well with the FANTASTIC and BEAUTIFUL flat generic logos that every company has now. 

13 minutes ago, da na said:

I LOVE services with descriptive unique names rebranding to "Max", "One", "Plus" and now BEST of all "X"! It fits very well with the FANTASTIC and BEAUTIFUL flat generic logos that every company has now. 

"It's pretentious, uninspired - and worth about a million bucks!"  - Plastic Man

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

42 minutes ago, da na said:

It'd have been even better with XXX 😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Musk finally gets to have company called x.com again just like in the days of early paypal where he got himself fired for incompetence with a large amount of "please leave" money to kick start his tenure of grifting humanity.

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

And xxx.com will be the parent company for all X-companies? 😀

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

Never used twitter, but still:

Even though it's polular to hate twitter and i don't personally use it, it's far from dead.

image.png.ca9dff8619181b305f79b108a5453f5e.png

(source)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

I'm rooting for the mass exodus.  The users have the power to kill the monstrosity.  They just need to find the guts to do it.

since this is like telling a heroine addict to just stop, a better solution would be to outlaw these kind of "social media" as terrorist organizations, because that's what they actually are, no matter how often they "rebrand". 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Silverflame said:

part of his desire to create a ubiquitous "everything app" for payments, social interactions, chats, etc. similar to China's WeeChat.

So far it seems his progress in this has been overpaying for an existing social media platform, making it worse without adding anything useful and rebranding it. Truly one of the minds of all time.

11 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

no no, keep it alive and bleeding money for as long as possible. it's also mildly entertaining.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

a single ecosystem

The funny thing is that he is so upfront about it. It is clearly transparent he wants to compete with google, meta, apple etc. with what? Twitter. Lmfaooo.

180907_elon_musk_tesla.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Even though it's polular to hate twitter and i don't personally use it, it's far from dead.

image.png.ca9dff8619181b305f79b108a5453f5e.png

(source)

data ended last year, elon must took it over around that time. 2023 and 2024 both show a negative trend. 
That source has no data since people started calling it out for dying, but its extrapolated a drop-off. 

Can you think a more generic name than X? It's like what I would use as a placeholder name until I can muster enough creativity to get a proper name. And for all problems twitter had, the name wasn't one of those. I thought Twitter was a pretty intelligent name for a social media, and the logo was a good fit as well. A little bird that sings little tweets!

Musk paid 44 billion dollars for the thing, and is systematically excising every piece of twitter out of the window. Coincidentally the valuation has gone down. Coincidences?

it is done.

image.png.b85e0db5a3e721d39c9639ee2cf3be80.png

☠️☠️☠️

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

35 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

Can you think a more generic name than X? It's like what I would use as a placeholder name until I can muster enough creativity to get a proper name. And for all problems twitter had, the name wasn't one of those. I thought Twitter was a pretty intelligent name for a social media, and the logo was a good fit as well. A little bird that sings little tweets!

Musk paid 44 billion dollars for the thing, and is systematically excising every piece of twitter out of the window. Coincidentally the valuation has gone down. Coincidences?

Just like Google and "to google" Twitter and "to tweet" have become Deonyms, general terms for the entire category.

"X-ing a post" sounds more like it was deleted than anything else. I doubt this would catch on.

But maybe X-ing Twitter was Musk's plan all along? 🫠

It might be too many years working in accounts, but I saw the new logo and thought Excel.