EVGA expected to wind down business after exiting Motherboard Market and EVGA Taiwan Staff allegedly quitting

AlTech

Summary

EVGA is expected to Wind down their company in the future after it has been revealed that their Taiwan Staff have allegedly quit the company.

They are expected to leave the Motherboard Market and all other markets besides the PSU Market which appears to only be supported for the next 3 years. This is based on the fact that EVGA started recently selling brand new PSUs with a 3 year warranty and presumably will still exist in a limited capacity to provide RMAs to customers of these products.

Steve from GN asked employees at EVGA what their next projects were and they confirmed there are no new Motherboard projects for EVGA.

Steve from GN has let on that he knows more about the story than he's allowed to tell but that EVGA shutting down is a personal decision from the CEO and that the CEO of EVGA is unwilling to sell the company.

Quotes

In what is now becoming a familiar pattern, EVGA is reportedly on the cusp of shutting down its motherboard business. This will be the second major product line the company has shuttered after it famously announced last year it was exiting the graphics card market. News of EVGA's possible exit from motherboards raises questions about its viability. It also shows the pitfalls of producing only high-end gear for a single platform, as EVGA only currently offers Intel-based motherboards with cutting-edge features and a price tag to match. It also previously produced only Nvidia-based GPUs.

My thoughts

This is unfortunate and I guess we'll never know the reason why unless GN are ever given permission to tell us why EVGA had to shut down.

Sources

(Both Videos are timestamped)

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/evga-is-reportedly-about-to-exit-the-motherboard-market

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This was "debunked" supposedly on the WAN show (among other places) this week. Supposedly even Kingpin is still employed by them.

Toms Hardware - EVGA Counters Rumors of Its Demise, But Questions Remain

Techpowerup - EVGA Withdraws from the Motherboard Market?

Quote from EVGA:

We saw those message and they are rumors.
Our Taiwan office is still operating and Kingpin is still with EVGA.
EVGA is still doing business and supporting its customers.
Thanks for reaching out

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

This was "debunked" supposedly on the WAN show (among other places) this week. Supposedly even Kingpin is still employed by them.

Toms Hardware - EVGA Counters Rumors of Its Demise, But Questions Remain

Techpowerup - EVGA Withdraws from the Motherboard Market?

Quote from EVGA:

EVGA as a business is still winding down, when asked by GN they said there were no future projects they would work on. GN understands and conveyed that the company will be shutting down at some point and that they are leaving the motherboard market.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AlTech said:

EVGA as a business is still winding down, when asked by GN they said there were no future projects they would work on. GN understands and conveyed that the company will be shutting down at some point and that they are leaving the motherboard market.

I watched the GN video, I was just adding, that there still seems to be some confusion around this, and some conflicting information.  I would agree the evidence strongly suggests and would agree with them shutting down.

All of which is very depressing... I have several EVGA GPUs in the house currently, as it's pretty much all I've bought in recent years.  I don't know what I'll buy now... I guess MSI?

1 minute ago, OhioYJ said:

I watched the GN video, I was just adding, that there still seems to be some confusion around this, and some conflicting information.  I would agree the evidence strongly suggests and would agree with them shutting down.

All of which is very depressing... I have several EVGA GPUs in the house currently, as it's pretty much all I've bought in recent years.  I don't know what I'll buy now... I guess MSI?

For Nvidia: Palit and Zotac are also good.

Asus is good but expensive.

For AMD: Sapphire and Acer are good. AMD's MBA designs are also good.

2 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I like my Gigabyte, way cooler than EVGA and undervolting is very easy (nigh impossible with the EVGA i had)

Msi used to be very good, but are now just mid.

Asus, i personally wouldn't buy an Asus product except maybe monitor. 

Also when you want the best,  get : igame GPU 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It is sad I bought EVGA motherboard and Graphics for over a decade, never had an issue.

Now forced to buy from other brands, so far 3 RMA's 😞 come back EVGA!!!

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

R.I.P.

You were loved.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I recently saw EVGA mobos on fire sale. I wonder if this is connected. Also looking back to the nvidia situation, while other reasons were given at the time, could this have also been a contributing factor? From my personal perspective, EVGA never made a significant impact apart from some popularity in North America GPU space, so not a big loss if they go.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, porina said:

I recently saw EVGA mobos on fire sale. I wonder if this is connected. Also looking back to the nvidia situation, while other reasons were given at the time, could this have also been a contributing factor?

It's possible the dispute could have been between Nvidia and EVGA. Nvidia does own shares in EVGA iirc.

GN doesn't seem to think so and Tech Yes City doesn't buy their arguments about Nvidia.

5 hours ago, porina said:

From my personal perspective, EVGA never made a significant impact apart from some popularity in North America GPU space, so not a big loss if they go.

They were sort of the only manufacturer to make Nvidia Cards and sell some of them at MSRP during the 30 series.

Other manufacturers were priced higher during the GPU Shortage and mining boom.

EVGA has long been considered a first party AIB for Nvidia due to Nvidia's partial ownership of and financial connection to EVGA.

1 hour ago, AlTech said:

Nvidia does own shares in EVGA iirc.

Gonna have to play the "citation needed" card on that one. EVGA seems to be a privately held company, which doesn't preclude nvidia owning a share, but it wouldn't be open market. In a quick search I've been unable to turn up any references to such an arrangement.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Heard a lot of good things about EVGA but it was never sold in my country (at least I never saw it in any shop).

22 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Quote from EVGA:

We saw those message and they are rumors.
Our Taiwan office is still operating and Kingpin is still with EVGA.
EVGA is still doing business and supporting its customers.

So EVGA did not deny such rumours, nor did they say anything about the future in this statement. One would expect that if the rumours were not true then statement would've been like "These rumours are not true. EVGA has no intention of closing the Taiwan office, and to our knowledge our employees, including Kingpin, have no intention of leaving".

Yet we got statment saying "we are still operating".

Additionally, here's the quote (from Gamer's Nexus video) that makes me almost certain the rumours are true:

GN: "What's the next project?"

Employee: "There's no next project, man."

Kingpin: "We won't be colleagues anymore. It's so sad. So sad."

Then, if that wasn't enough for somebody, there's also the fact that most their things, including all power supplies, are not in stock currently, and that newest has only 3 year warranty. Also, out of all GPU board partners, only EVGA pulled out due to 40-series (allegedly at least, IMO it's connected to other stuff).

For me personally there are way too many werid situations around them to say it's all coincidence. And there's the quote about "no next project" and "we won't be colleagues anymore".

10 hours ago, AlTech said:

It's possible the dispute could have been between Nvidia and EVGA. Nvidia does own shares in EVGA iirc.

GN doesn't seem to think so and Tech Yes City doesn't buy their arguments about Nvidia.

I think there was definitely some tension between Nvidia and EVGA, given that Nvidia took away most of the overclocking methods from AIB's then locked down their GPU's, also since the introduction of the 30 series FE cards, AIB's can't compete on MSRP and features.

And perhaps one key point could be that EVGA knew what was coming with the 40 series melting power connectors, EVGA wasn't profitable from the high end 30 series, RMA's on 4090 cards probably would have cost them money.

I don't see why GN and Tech Yes City refuse to believe there was any kind of dispute when it was obvious that Nvidia didn't treat EVGA very well even though EVGA was apparently their closest partner brand in the North American market. I wonder if tech youtubers don't want to really call out Nvidia to avoid risking any upset, because that did happen to HW Unboxed.

They were sort of the only manufacturer to make Nvidia Cards and sell some of them at MSRP during the 30 series.

Other manufacturers were priced higher during the GPU Shortage and mining boom.

EVGA has long been considered a first party AIB for Nvidia due to Nvidia's partial ownership of and financial connection to EVGA.

I'm assuming EVGA was losing profit selling by cards at MSRP during the GPU shortage, the EVGA online store was the only way to get a card if you didn't have a retail store, although they were all selling them way above MSRP.

I doubt Nvidia had any ownership of EVGA, because breaking the partnership would seem like a waste as EVGA was one of the most popular GPU brands in North America.  EVGA was also well regarded for their warranty service, and step up program, both were likely a benefit for Nvidia, although it wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia didn't care because it seems like the Nvidia CEO wants to get rid of the AIB's and only sell FE cards.

Edited by Blademaster91

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

I think there was definitely some tension between Nvidia and EVGA, given that Nvidia took away most of the overclocking methods from AIB's then locked down their GPU's, also since the introduction of the 30 series FE cards, AIB's can't compete on MSRP and features.

And perhaps one key point could be that EVGA knew what was coming with the 40 series melting power connectors, EVGA wasn't profitable from the high end 30 series, RMA's on 4090 cards probably would have cost them money.

I don't see why GN and Tech Yes City refuse to believe there was any kind of dispute when it was obvious that Nvidia didn't treat EVGA very well even though EVGA was apparently their closest partner brand in the North American market. I wonder if tech youtubers don't want to really call out Nvidia to avoid risking any upset, because that did happen to HW Unboxed.

I can't speak to what GN believes but Tech Yes City said he thought it was because the sales during the 30 series the GPU sales were more profitable sales than in a long time and so EVGA couldn't beat their 2020 through 2022 performance if they continued.

I'm assuming EVGA was losing profit selling by cards at MSRP during the GPU shortage,

I think Nvidia compensated them for some of it.

the EVGA online store was the only way to get a card if you didn't have a retail store, although they were all selling them way above MSRP.

I doubt Nvidia had any ownership of Nvidia, because breaking the partnership would seem like a waste as EVGA was one of the most popular GPU brands in North America.

Except if Nvidia wanted to fold EVGA's GPU division into Nvidia. A key figure from EVGA's GPU division has left EVGA and taken a job at Nvidia so it's not impossible that this could be part of the reason.

EVGA was also well regarded for their warranty service, and step up program, both were likely a benefit for Nvidia, although it wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia didn't care because it seems like the Nvidia CEO wants to get rid of the AIB's and only sell FE cards.

As much as Nvidia publicly (and probably privately) berate AIBs, I'm not sure Nvidia wants the job of making every GeForce GPU. Nvidia doesn't seem to care about GeForce right now.

Nvidia does own shares in EVGA iirc.

Source...? I have never heard anything about Nvidia having any form of ownership of EVGA.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Source...? I have never heard anything about Nvidia having any form of ownership of EVGA.

I'm fairly sure I've heard it from GN and/or MLID in the past.

I don't have a concrete source otherwise.

1 hour ago, AlTech said:

I'm fairly sure I've heard it from GN and/or MLID in the past.

I don't have a concrete source otherwise.

MLID is not a reputable source of info, and pretty much never will be. Makes WAY to much information up and just is an awful person in the tech space.

EVGA was independently owned, and was only a Partner, albeit the closest partner for nearly 2 decades. That is where it may have been confusing for some because of how much EVGA did for NVidia for Cooler designs on their base coolers up until recently. Then Jensen decided Partners were not really needed as much and heavily locked down the GPUs, and 40 series pretty much showed that he is willing to make them unable to what EVGA was use to be able to do. Owner took that and the 3090ti/3090 price crash fiasco as just pure disrespect. If Nvidia owned EVGA shares or any amount, they would have pushed him out as CEO and owner, a forced sell and takeover would have occurred. 

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

MLID is not a reputable source of info, and pretty much never will be. Makes WAY to much information up and just is an awful person in the tech space.

With respect, that is your opinion; not fact.

MLID doesn't make up information.

1 hour ago, AlTech said:

Not only does he make up information, which is a fact, information he gets wrong and some of the more wild shit he use to get REALLY wrong he just deletes it and acts like it never happened. He has had quite a history of just deleting a TON of the stuff he got wrong when it was so clearly made  up. There are generally a few different ways you can go about it, and for the first bit he was just spewing a bunch of stuff he thought of as a possibility, stating that he had sources, and then just deleted them after he either got proven wrong, or he actually got an actual source. There are a few people that saved some of the stuff, but for the most part hes tried his best to delete as much of the really wrong stuff that showed how off he was.

Now that he has a a bigger following then he did back then, he can actually get a bit more reliable data and information. But do not act like he wasnt full of shit back then , and he still has that bad habit of pulling stuff out of his ass then deleting. I mearly treat him as a speculation and prediction channel, not a source of information based in any truth until a certain point. Not that i bother viewing any of his content, unfortunately i see his content on twitter when interacting with others.

Thats why its hard for me to take anything he says seriously, you get one thing wrong here and there thats one thing, things and stuff change quite quickly and a lot of the time the actual info is locked down pretty tight. But its the way he goes about it and just never really got better at acknowledging what he did wrong. 

4 hours ago, AlTech said:

Who was it with the spreadsheet link to all the times MLID was wrong.

Pretty sure he was in the upper 80%s for misinformation.

7 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Truth is people want rumors otherwise there is nothing to see or discuss. Due to that people will choose or be far more lenient on mistakes or misinformation because the official public information is nothing at all. How far each person is willing to go on the leniency is obviously different but my standard is if it's not reliable enough, creditable enough or likely to be true to be reported on by general tech media then it's not up to standard and probably wrong.

For example how far did that whole 800W 40 series GPU thing go. It was obvious BS, I said it was yet so many wanted argue the point in spite of direct existing evidence that 800W GPU in a PCIE formfactor and cooler isn't viable and nobody is or will ever do that. 600W TDP GPUs are proprietary server formfactor only like SXM and will only ever be at that power level. And who was one of the major sources to push that obviously false information, yea exactly. It was fake the whole time and anyone worth listening to knew it.

3 hours ago, Shimejii said:

snip

All I will say is be careful you don't defame people lest you end up in court defending yourself against claims of defamation.

Your "facts" are not supported by evidence and frankly this is derailing this thread. Let's stick to the topic at hand about EVGA.

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

the spreadsheet link was not made well at all. The spreadsheet was wrong half the time aswell. 

The issue with leaks is that they are often real or misleading, but dont come out in retail. These parts are not locked in until they are locked in. Revisions are made, Pivots happen, some parts are just for internal testing. This is a big reason companies dont like leaks, not because of competitors knowing, but because pivots happen and if something was "promised" people get upset. 
Like a lot of people here memed on his lovelace cooler leak half a year ago that was even larger than the current 4090 cooler, when in the last month both LTT and GN have stated it exists (but did not go so far as to say its for a 4090ti/titan as it only says 4090 on it). The retail 4090 cooler is already overbuilt, the fact that one larger exists and was made suggest Nvidia WAS experiencing with even more wattage, however that would turn out. The leak was real, but because of an internal pivot for whatever reason, it did not come out to retail. 

That is not said to just handwave bad leaks away, there are some "leakers" out there who do just make shit up. 

5 hours ago, Shimejii said:

-snip-

He has deleted some videos, but its very uncommon. You are correct in that he can and should be more forthcoming about when he messes up his analysis. 

I do not know how EVGA will survive long term as they keep leaning out and leaving businesses. I know the margins on mobos are not great, but they only did high end ones, so margins were good, just volume was low.