Give it up for Product #286: Google kills Google Domains

HarryNyquist

Summary

Google is shutting down Google Domains, passing all domains (and their users) to Squarespace.

Quotes

In an unexpected announcement today, Google Domains is “winding down following a transition period,” with Squarespace taking over the business and assets. 

Squarespace announced today that it “entered into a definitive asset purchase agreement with Google, whereby Squarespace will acquire the assets associated with the Google Domains business.” This includes “approximately 10 million domains hosted on Google Domains spread across millions of customers.”

Google cited “efforts to sharpen our focus” in selling the Google Domains registrar business, which launched in 2014 as a big proponent of HTTPS and top-level domains (TLDs) as of late. The service exited beta in 2022.

More notable today is how Squarespace “will become the exclusive domains provider for any customer purchasing a domain along with their Workspace subscription from Google directly for a minimum of three years.”

My thoughts

I mean, what else is there to say? The jokes kinda write themselves with Google killing things off. While I wonder what Squarespace's domain experience is, I'm glad I got onto namecheap when I did.

Sources

https://9to5google.com/2023/06/15/google-domains-squarespace/

https://killedbygoogle.com/

Man this really makes me sad! I have had a very good experience with google domains and have used it for months. I am very sad to see it go.

Who do you guys recommend? Don’t really want to mess with squarespace. I also have a few workspace emails I need to keep going.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 hours ago, CoveWolfYT said:

Man this really makes me sad! I have had a very good experience with google domains and have used it for months. I am very sad to see it go.

The worst part of Death by Google is that when Google does have a good service you like and use, you have to keep in the back of your mind it might just not exist next month.

21 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Who do you guys recommend? Don’t really want to mess with squarespace. I also have a few workspace emails I need to keep going.

I used to use hover.com they were pretty good for the most part. I only switched to google domains for the easy integration with google sites

Wtf, what is google smoking? Why did they sell it? It is such a simple and nice service. Oh, man. This is so stupid.

Funny I have to read about this here instead of this beeing relayed to me by Google. You know. On the count of beeing a user of this service.

Edit: Even as I log in now there is nothing about this in their domains environment.

Damn, Google services really do be dropping like flies. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Squarespace, build it beautiful.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The worst part of Death by Google is that when Google does have a good service you like and use, you have to keep in the back of your mind it might just not exist next month.

At least they sold it off this time, instead of just banishing it to the memory black hole.

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I find the whole "Google kills so many products" meme to be greatly exaggerated. 

If we look at websites like "KilledByGoogle.com" it's easy to glance at the long list and go "wow they sure kill a lot of products", but in a very large portion of cases they are not actually "killing" the product. They are just folding it into another product, or rebranding it. 

Here are some examples that are on the first page of killedbygoogle right now.

Grasshopper - Similar things now exist in "Code with Google". No need to offer several programming courses.

Google Street View (standalone app) - Pretty self-explanatory. Street view is now part of Google Maps. There is no need for a standalone app anymore.

Google OnHub - Google now has a different brand of routers. It was literally just two models of routers that were released once, and since then Google has made a bunch of other routers that offer similar functionality but don't have the "onHub" branding.

Google Duo - Functionality has been moved to other apps.

AngularJS was basically just version 1 of what is now called "Angular 2", which is still supported. 

Google Toolbar - Google killed support for that after Microsoft killed support for Internet Explorer.

Chatbase - Functionality was added to Dialogflow. No need to keep a separate program for it.

The list goes on but I think you get the point. Those were just the ones I knew about on top of my head when quickly scrolling through the list. I am sure there are plenty more cases like that.

Google does sometimes flat-out kill off good products, but it's way less frequent than some people think.

Anyway, shame that they are handing Google Domains over to SquareSpace. It seems like the service was good and popular.

Google just social experimenting as usual.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, shermantanker said:

You could try njalla

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The list goes on but I think you get the point. Those were just the ones I knew about on top of my head when quickly scrolling through the list. I am sure there are plenty more cases like that.

Google does sometimes flat-out kill off good products, but it's way less frequent than some people think.

Do note however not every transition is done smoothly, Google could roll things in to other offerings or something similar but it still can displace existing users who end up treating it as the product getting killed off, because to them and their experience it has been.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If we look at websites like "KilledByGoogle.com" it's easy to glance at the long list and go "wow they sure kill a lot of products", but in a very large portion of cases they are not actually "killing" the product. They are just folding it into another product, or rebranding it.

The thing is it's a sign of disorganized executive thinking on Google's part. Obviously there are some stuff that the site exaggerates, but I'm still baffled by some of their decisions.

e.g., having Google Talk and choosing to create a brand new messenger for Google+ along with Hangouts, killing Google Talk, then killing both Google+ Messenger and Hangouts in favor of Google Chat/Google Meet, then creating Duo for some reason and folding it into Meet. All of these services have entirely different UI/UX as well, despite fulfilling the same niche of software.

I'm glad they're streamlining things, but it's going to mean killing/merging more products, and sometimes those mergers or their replacement services are not even close to the thing they killed off.

I'm just worried that I will have to pay more.

Which I really don't want to do.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

22 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

I hate to be that guy but Google Domains is actually Product #286.

Product #287 is Google Album Archive and is due for deletion on July 19th.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Product #287 is Google Album Archive and is due for deletion on July 19th.

I just got an e-mail for that, and was like, WFT is Album Archive? Turns out it is what some Picasa data got rolled into. Haven't used it in about 10 years. The rest seems to be absorbed by Photos.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 6/15/2023 at 11:24 PM, CoveWolfYT said:

I used to use hover.com they were pretty good for the most part. I only switched to google domains for the easy integration with google sites

I currently use Hover. Haven't checked into it recently to see if anything has changed though so don't take this as a recommendation. I set it up years ago and haven't had a reason to change anything. It's at least an option worth researching. Whatever you do though don't use godaddy...

Wild how I use that service and got notified here rather than by google.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

1 hour ago, Jerakl said:

Wild how I use that service and got notified here rather than by google.

I found out the instant it came out via sheer luck while browsing the internet and stumbling upon the business newswire as soon as it came out lol

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

After this news I did some research and decided to move all my domains from Google Domains to Cloudflare. Because I use them for my DNS anyway and because they don't take any cut on domain purchases on their platform.