Ryzen 7000X3d is burning out.

jos

3d vcache of ryzen 7000 series are heating up resulting in internal components to heat and buldge. According to tomshardware multiple users have reported the issue in reddit. Initially it was reported on 7800X3D. Some reddit users are pointing to Asus motherboard as culprit.

Update 

Numerous report of non 3D vcache is also poping up. Some pointing to soc and expo voltage issues. And is not just Asus.

For some manufacturers new bios. Which limit voltages is available 

Update 2

With new update from gamers Nexus and jays. Please stay away from Asus. A bios update that won't fix the issue but voids the warranty. Their products are consistently lowering the firmware quality, qc and warranty service. 

"The CPU pad is physically bulging," wrote Speedrookie, the owner of the burned-out processor. "I imagine there was just too much heat on the contacts causing the pad to expand. Not that the CPU has an internal component which exploded."

I thought modern cpus has in built protection and will prevent damage. I remember it being said in many of Linus videos. He has even run cpu without heatsink just to see if everything is detected. May be it is some design flaw in 7000X3D or flaw in motherboard power delivery. There was issues even for the 7950X3D that Linus recived from AMD. When it heats the motherboard usually sends low voltage 

i have few question if Asus has went down the drain which brand is the next choice? Is AMD 7000 series a reliable option? Their bad memory controller and stability issues with ram is what concerns me the most.

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7000x3d-burnout-reports

https://youtu.be/arDqhxM8Wog

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/12ubu7h/am5_asus_mobos_burndead_problems/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Sue6m2BUDuEuHBK4RzzMKX-970-80.png.webp

Dang it 

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Saw this yesterday, its an ASUS problem. Some Russian guy had pretty Identical issues with the a similar ASUS board, nearly in the exact same spot. Unless other board partners also start to have issues with the contacts burning up like this, sounds like its more so a ASUS and a trace problem. 

Luckily I waited for independent reviews, before deciding between the Ryzen 9 7900 [non-X] and the Ryzen  7800X3d

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Could be the motherboard doing something to the CPU or its related to the 3D cache. Could be more complications with 3D cache for one of the downsides with buying "new tech" to other types of defects.

I suspect the usual "motherboard AI super automatic overclocking you definitely agreed to when not checking all bios setting hidden 6 levels deep" to be culprit.

I went through a couple of settings, mostly Asus multi core enhancement and some power features stood out, begging to cause some trouble so they got deactivated.

Well, I shall see if mine blows up now 🤷‍♂️

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

3 hours ago, jos said:

3d vcache of ryzen 7000 series are heating up resulting in internal components to heat and buldge. According to tomshardware multiple users have reported the issue in reddit. Initially it was reported on 7800X3D. Some reddit users are pointing to Asus motherboard as culprit.

I thought modern cpus has in built protection and will prevent damage. I remember it being said in many of Linus videos. He has even run cpu without heatsink just to see if everything is detected. May be it is some design flaw in 7000X3D or flaw in motherboard power delivery. There was issues even for the 7950X3D that Linus recived from AMD. When it heats the motherboard usually sends low voltage 

Sue6m2BUDuEuHBK4RzzMKX-970-80.png.webp

This could have been caused by FOD and the excessive heating caused the substrate to bulge. I think it's unlikely the damage to the substrate is caused by excessive heating from the die.

However, der8auer did notice that it was possible to freely set the voltage for 3D V-cache processors on some boards (and easily kill the CPU). He also got a 7900X from a viewer which desoldered itself.

That was my upgrade path! I had the great plan to go 2600x - 5800X3D - 7800X3D keepinga few generations behind everyone silly enough to early adopt.

Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for 5800X3D users to trade up to 8000series

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Major post issues on the the ASUS AM5 Motherboards where memory training loops cause the system to hard lock and not post.

The only option is RMA if it gets really stuck. waiting for a replacement board, changed memory as well still does it. seems to be isolated to ASUS Boards from online forums.

I guess the ASUS problems keep coming..

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

7 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Saw this yesterday, its an ASUS problem. Some Russian guy had pretty Identical issues with the a similar ASUS board, nearly in the exact same spot. Unless other board partners also start to have issues with the contacts burning up like this, sounds like its more so a ASUS and a trace problem. 

Im going to keep calling it: Asus sucks at AM5 right now, just like how MSI sucks at AM4 back in release. The amount of MSI B350s ive seen with burnt out MOSFETs...

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

38 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Looks like ASUS is removing old BIOS's from its site.

I like how they jump right to saying "hiding it" when they are more likely working in parallel or getting the BIOS update published first so they can put out release update about it. Typical internet heh. If it had been days and not literally seeing it change in real time then I'd be going down that thought path.

1 hour ago, jos said:

There are many doubts on Asus thing. How they could produce fix within few hours. 

That presupposes they just became aware of the issue. In reality they've probably been getting RMAs over the issue for the past several months and hoped to fix the problem without anyone noticing. Standard corporate CYA mentality.

Addendum - I also seem to recall some bitching on these boards about how the x3D chips were limited in overclocking when the first came out. I believe this is a case of AMD being able to say I told you so. 

10 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Every single time AMD releases a new product I'm like...

image.jpeg.51bf60d5fd3f675454722b61fe61a0af.jpeg

...and a couple weeks after that...

image.png.134d81a75b1a62ce34a01685a2871a19.png

Didn't have any issues* with 2200G, 3600 or 5800x3D...

these new chips though,  too hot for my tastes, not sure about the intel situation but im not gonna upgrade for a few years anyway

*edit: except some ram shenanigans which wasn't too bad though (i blame it more on infamous corsair "Vengeance ")

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

31 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

these new chips though,  too hot for my tastes, not sure about the intel situation but im not gonna upgrade for a few years anyway

Yeah I'm gonna stick to the 5800X that I have a little longer as well.

Sucks, but yeah happened times before on older platforms and mobo brands. Just needs to be fixed and reported fast in general. Though yeah mobo having such auto-control to such degree to cause damage is something that needs to be rectified in general. Issue like this that fries CPU is insane, also I've seen same way mobo kill it self destroying VRMs with all that auto agressive crap.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I guess it was too good to be true.

Sucks that AMD's first LGA consumer product is having so many issues.. Hopefully these get fixed up by next gen.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Asus always pulls a bios tho would not say that's necessarily cos of bad bios, usually its cos its beta and they do not want them to download those.

8 hours ago, TetraSky said:

I guess it was too good to be true.

Sucks that AMD's first LGA consumer product is having so many issues.. Hopefully these get fixed up by next gen.

So far, it seems to be an ASUS issue. If it were my guess, they rush released the BIOS for the X3D chip. At this stage in time, ASUS was also battling poor memory compatibility, and very slow boot times, hence the rush for adding X3D support. They were busy fixing all the other issues.

Today, ASUS memory support seems to have been greatly improved under the latest Beta BIOS. It's not 100% yet, but most seem that their problem have been resolved. The extreme slow boot time has also been resolved, but is still relatively slow compared to ASrock AM5 boards and Intel based system. ~12sec vs 5-7sec. 

So the issue now is that people needs to get the beta BIOS, which isn't really assuring for customers. I don't know if the issue of the X3D is solved with the latest Beta BIOS. I can only comment on memory support and boot time.

To me, clearly, in the recent years, ASUS has been cutting resources for it's BIOS team, while the competition has been growing them. ASUS, having such a big platform of motherboards, with a lot of variation of components, doesn't help the BIOS team there. But that is of course, not our problem. 

It is sad to see a giant like ASUS go so down.

I remember 14 years ago, where Gigabyte boards had wonderful broken English and spelling errors in their BIOS/UEFI and would freeze if you navigated the BIOS Setup (pre-UEFI days, I am talking, for that specific point), too fast. MSI had poor terminology like "Windows 8 mode", option, despite having Windows 10 released already, and the documentation explained nothing beside something along the lines of: "Enabled this option if you install Windows 8". What they really meant is enable UEFI and disable CSM. And should be enabled regardless of the OS you install, as long as it is (at the time) a modern one which has UEFI support. So it created confusion.

Anyways, every manufacturer has up their game in the recent years. But ASUS, who was a leader (despite their... awful, at best, warranty and after sale service), is now behind all other manufacturers.

Glad it's limited to just Asus and not a socket manufacture issue like back in ye olden times with burnt 1156 sockets from FoxConn.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Glad it's limited to just Asus and not a socket manufacture issue like back in ye olden times with burnt 1156 sockets from FoxConn.

at least as far as we know as of right now 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

21 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Every single time AMD releases a new product I'm like...

image.jpeg.51bf60d5fd3f675454722b61fe61a0af.jpeg

...and a couple weeks after that...

image.png.134d81a75b1a62ce34a01685a2871a19.png

It's getting absurd at this point. Atleast for the most part Intel just works.