Ryzen 7000X3d is burning out.

jos
3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So why people buy ASUS. Truthfully, for many years, ASUS BIOS were the best. Shocking! I know. But to be honest the bar was VERY low. MSI had a confusing interface, and confusing custom MSI only terminology for some options (they got better). Gigabyte BIOS had bugs left and right with their BIOS/UEFI. Not to mention sometimes even spelling mistakes that they never fixed. You had options that didn't apply, or even front facing ones, where it can freeze if you hit Delete key to many times to go to the BIOS, or it just freezes if you use the keyboard to navigate and go too fast (they also got better over the years). In fact, they all got better. ASUS just never moved.

I think this sums it up well. Over the years and many systems I built, Asus was often the safe choice. I moved to Asrock for a while as they did give faster bios updates, but I had stability problems on both their AMD and Intel boards which were traced back to power delivery, so I'm hesitant to get another. Haven't had MSI in long time (Skylake) but their memory compatibility was worse than average at the time, and were inconsistent when overclocking. Gigabyte don't seem to have a clue with bios and I said I'd never get another one after a higher end Z490 OC board never got later updates for Rocket Lake after initial release, and had stability problems with such. For my next high end build Asus would likely have been the 1st choice but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I should give MSI another try since I'm hearing good things about them more recently, and overclocking isn't really a thing any more outside of doing it for fun.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

19 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The support pages for two ASUS motherboards I happen to own are still up, but they're x99 and AM4 so that may be the difference.

https://www.asus.com/us/commercial-servers-workstations/x99wsipmi/helpdesk/

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Yeah, it looks like it's specific for the "rog.asus" site.

8 minutes ago, Guspa said:

Yeah, it looks like it's specific for the "rog.asus" site.

My second link is from rog.asus.com.

Maybe they only swung the axe on pages for the AM5 motherboards that are affected by the power issues?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Maybe they only swung the axe on pages for the AM5 motherboards that are affected by the power issues?

That's the fun part - it probably was so rushed out, that it swept along ALL ROG products.  (Not just AM5 mobos)

4 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I have no doubt some variation of this could be an issue but wouldn't it have show up by now?  Closest I could find to this was by googling Ryzen 5950x overvoltage.  I tried that set of words since some flaw in what ASUS was doing that would cause overvoltage on last generation could maybe cause fire on a higher powered new generation of CPU. (Found a form posting on another forum about that)

Sorry, I meant to say that that it wasn't an issue before, in the sense that the chip could handle the extra voltage, for whatever reasons.

(For other readers: This is statement is based on what I mentioned. It was an assumption on my part that ASUS did this, thinking that probably they always boosted the voltage carelessly, over specs, for ensured memory compatibly. Maybe they never did, I don't know. But to go over specs, is typically what motherboard manufactures do, taking advantage that usually engineers over engineer things and provide safe values as limit.)

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

3 hours ago, Guspa said:

That's the fun part - it probably was so rushed out, that it swept along ALL ROG products.  (Not just AM5 mobos)

Think yall are jumping the gun, My mobo that does have VSOC issues and is am5 has their page up https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/
As well as all other AM5 mobos I see. such as https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

SPDIF who uses that?

I do. The USB port on my DAC is taken by the Mac from work, so SPIDF is used on the PC. I also use SPIDF from the TV to another DAC, because the latter doesn't have HDMI eARC. With my last build, I wanted to get the TUF board from ASUS because it had all I need, except SPIDF, so I had to fork out the extra cash for the Strix. Different people, different needs.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I do. The USB port on my DAC is taken by the Mac from work, so SPIDF is used on the PC. I also use SPIDF from the TV to another DAC, because the latter doesn't have HDMI eARC. With my last build, I wanted to get the TUF board from ASUS because it had all I need, except SPIDF, so I had to fork out the extra cash for the Strix. Different people, different needs.

I do too. Using HDMI to tv to TOSLINK to speakers to line level to sub woofer. I hate it but it works. It's the only way to get Nintendo Switch and HTPC to share speakers with the TV without getting a special box of some kind that probably is laggy as heck.

7 hours ago, Guspa said:

Wanted to check bios / drivers update for my ROG laptop...
Found out Asus completely disabled "Support" tab from the whole website on every single product.
Using an old known URL just redirects me back to the product detail...

Something tells me that "heads will roll", because this looks like a pretty "nuclear damage-control move".

Merged to Tech News thread discussing on this as your experience seems to be direct relation to it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, I meant to say that that it wasn't an issue before, in the sense that the chip could handle the extra voltage, for whatever reasons.

(For other readers: This is statement is based on what I mentioned. It was an assumption on my part that ASUS did this, thinking that probably they always boosted the voltage carelessly, over specs, for ensured memory compatibly. Maybe they never did, I don't know. But to go over specs, is typically what motherboard manufactures do, taking advantage that usually engineers over engineer things and provide safe values as limit.)

Ok I get it.  
I was thinking that you were thinking Ryzen 5000 could maybe have been stealth over volted in some way.. but the silicon and PCB etc could take it.  Since it wasn't as power hungry.   Then come 7000 ... and we're supposed to not be alarmed by idle temps in what the 90's C? (in hindsight maybe this isn't a surprise). 

30 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Ok I get it.  
I was thinking that you were thinking Ryzen 5000 could maybe have been stealth over volted in some way.. but the silicon and PCB etc could take it.  Since it wasn't as power hungry.   Then come 7000 ... and we're supposed to not be alarmed by idle temps in what the 90's C? (in hindsight maybe this isn't a surprise). 

No one said idle temps at 90C. 

AMD said load temp.

Basically, instead of being clock limited, it is temp limited. So, the CPU will clock faster and faster (up to certain point, of course, as stability comes into play), until it reaches 95C, at which point, now it thermal limit itself. And this is fine, laptops CPUs easily go to 90C+ under load since ages now. The CPU can actually handle it. Nothing new in the processor space.

That reminds me.

I downloaded a BIOS update the other day for my 11th gen Intel board from ASUS, and the actual BIOS itself will not flash the BIOS, only the ASUS AI Suite will, and only if I select the CAP file I downloaded from ASUS. The BIOS was from January of this year.

Works fine, and I as able to get it from https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/

That said, WHY is it that the BIOS won't update the BIOS, but AI Suite's EZ Flash will accept the CAP file.  Y'know... Also the ME had to be updated to install it, which was an entire other ordeal (Apparently I never installed the ME driver.)

But this came to light like in the last 24 hours:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-12-May-2023-Microcode

New Intel CPU Microcode

So there is a good possibility there will be a wave of BIOS updates for 8th gen and later Intel products, and BIOS stuff disappearing on the ASUS site might just be a coincidence.

9 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

A good video about the warranty situation with EXPO and XMP.

The sad part of that is that those policies have been known for probably decades now. If you activate XMP profile, that will void your warranty, but no one really cared that much because most people who would get caught with this and denied RMA on the basis of activating XMP profiles would be people who's first reaction isn't wiping the BIOS settings and so wiping the evidence of "overclocking" and those same people very rarely are any way active on tech scene.

I really do like Roman's idea of YouTubers and reviewers starting to review and test new hardware not on the marketed specs but on the specs that are allowed under the written warranty. Too bad that would hurt so many companies on the field that there's probably only couple media "outlets" who could even afford burning that many bridges and making so many companies angry. Like you can see when the can of worms has been opened how many outlets have cut their ties to ASUS during this shitstorm and you can probably witness how many of those are willing to bury the axe right away when ASUS just sends out public apology and tells that they will do things right in this singular one event without any promises for the future and definedly won't do any changes on their warranty policies because "this was only single event and there's no need for larger changes" and the majority of the crowd applauds.

But looking at how long tech community generally remembers the shit companies do, it would be a miracle if enough people would take a long enough stand for even ASUS making changes to their warranty policies. Intel and AMD doing changes would probably require the whole consumer base and half of the industry base to go full pitchforks, tar and feathers. Thou even then Intel and AMD give couple plank checks for couple media outlets to make some videos featuring their shiny products and praising how great the companies are (except they might have some dirt, but that is just a footnote at most and the font size is completely negotiable) and majority of the consumers bury their pitchforks and the business can continue as it has done for decades.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:08 AM, porina said:

Haven't had MSI in long time

Its hit and miss... i had 3 msi boards, 1st was a very cheap b350m (60 bucks) which actually performed very well considering (had some memory issues that were eventually fixed after more than 2 years... lol) a b450m (top tier according to LTT lol) which was about the biggest turd imaginable , constant crashes no matter what - obviously returned it asap...

Now i have a b550m (mortar) and its rock solid, the bt works... everything is cool and quiet... my 5800x3D boosts to 4550mhz on several cores (which according to "internet" is *impossible*...)

So yeah, overall i rather take the evil i know because other board manufacturers aren't any better (*especially* asus with their dumb "docp" shenanigans >.>)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity