BMW heated seats subscription UK

Summary

BMW to allow subscriptions for in car features, just like Linus predicted. Like heated seats and steering wheels in uk for £15 and £10 per month.

Quotes

BMW has sparked debate after offering an online subscription to turn on heated front seats in its cars in the UK for £15 per month.

A monthly heated steering wheel subscription costs £10.

The company says customers can enable all hardware features for a one-time payment if they prefer. For £200, those with chilly hands can enjoy a warm wheel for "as long as the technical prerequisites are met for this vehicle".

The features are available via BMW's ConnectedDrive online store and are activated remotely, with no need to visit a dealer.

The heated seat offer is available in the UK, but the subscriptions that are available vary by country.

My thoughts

This would make cars heavy and less efficient for no reason if you don't want or need these features.

Linus predicted this may become a thing, just like most he thought it would be Tesla who would introduce this but looks like BMW may have beaten them to it.

I could see how some may like it on the second hand market letting you add features without the higher cost of having to install the equipment but I think most people are against this.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62142208.amp

https://news.sky.com/story/bmw-criticised-for-putting-heated-seats-behind-a-paywall-12651279

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

The company says customers can enable all hardware features for a one-time payment if they prefer.

This right here is the key. All this is being done to get the monthly payment that you see on your bill down lower. Unfortunately many people don't seem to realize making something an addon is the same as making your monthly payment increase. It's the same thing as making the base videogame $9.99 but then adding a monthly subscription to play online with the dlcs.

36 minutes ago, IceSuperDave said:

Give a few sentences with your thoughts on the news. For example, this might be why you think the news is interesting, what you think the broader implications of this news are for the tech industry, or how you expect the story to develop in future. 

Nice thoughts on the subject

8 minutes ago, Fasterthannothing said:

This right here is the key

This

For myself there is a difference between having an option to purchase a feature vs effectively rent it.

I've said it before in relation to this sort of topic.  There is an added cost of having 2 different SKU's, and instead of raising the price for everyone having one SKU that has all the bells and whistles, I'd rather have 1 SKU, but features locked behind a paywall but at a cheaper price for the base model.

A good example of this is my Camry...no heated seats, but wish I kind of got one that had it...but that isn't possible without spending a lot of money now.  I'd rather an option where I could buy it outright after the fact.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

I could see this ONLY making sense if you only have 1 month of cold where you live, otherwise up front tends to win.

For laughs, let's assume away inflation and price increases. Also assume a return of 5% from investments and the ability to sell without a loss. 

If it's $415 up front then your opportunity cost is $20.75/year.
At that rate, 2 months of use is not worth it.

----

If you shift assumptions around the same overall conclusion is still mostly valid, you'd need pretty extreme assumptions (0 resale value, fairly high interest rate) for it to not be. I'm kind of waiting for the functionality to be a license and to NOT be transferable. EUGH.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

2 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Good grief! A subscription for an Ass Warmer. What next.

Well, a massage chair would be nice...

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

3 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Good grief! A subscription for an Ass Warmer. What next.

It's only going to get worse.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

What next? $50/month so you can use your brake pedal and don't need to rely on regenerative or "AI" braking?

What a bright future ahead for automotive industry. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

"Sorry officer, my brake pad subscription ended while I was driving"

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

@IceSuperDave

This thread is not complying with Tech News format. Please add your personal take on this subject or thread will be moved out of Tech News.

Also, quote(s) should only contain snippes of the original article(s), not whole article. The point is that you choose the important parts and readers can check sources for full story.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, cmndr said:

If it's $415 up front then your opportunity cost is $20.75/year.
At that rate, 2 months of use is not worth it.

Yea, the way I look at is this.

At $18/month...or $415 forever access...in the lifetime of the vehicle will you "rent" heated seats 24 times it pays for the "forever".  So if you keep it for 12 years, you have to use it for 2 months out of the year.  Actually, now I think of it...if you lived in a moderate climate where heated seats are only used on super cold years, it could actually be quite beneficial just to use the rental approach...or if you flipped your car every 5 years.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The argument that this allows them to produce just a single model is false. A lot of these cars are also being sold in regions where no one would ever use heated steering wheels or seats. It makes no economical sense to install the more expensive component in all vehicles.

Not really false.  The fact is you need to pretty much have that as a "feature" option on any modern vehicle (or else lose business).  So it can get quite costly having 2 separate lineup of vehicles that have just a few added features.  Keep in mind a vehicle sitting on the lot isn't great...and neither is selling the vehicle "without" that feature but having to give it away as a free upgrade.

Adding it in as well likely isn't too expensive...and it's about the gamble that they will sell more of the upgrade dlc than it costs to install it in all vehicles.  At this stage buying a car is like buying a game console at launch.  Certain things they take a "loss" on, but hope to recoup that by having people buy enough of the "perks" that were preinstalled.

Just build your own car.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

A subscription for a feature you're already paying for when buying the car, this is so dumb, and I doubt people buying a BMW are going to care about the cost per month.

38 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Very naive of you to think they are at a loss when the car buyer dont pay for permanent unlock or monthly for access to the feature.

Not naive, I just understand that developing and production of different SKU's can add quite a bit of a cost.  Different tooling etc.  Like I said, it's a cost analysis.

If the overall cost is lets say an extra $100 per vehicle, and you expect 25% of people will do a full on purchase, you can charge $400 as a "break even" point, but more likely $500.  It's better that sometimes than having 2 SKU's but having overall cost of maintaining both SKU's being an extra $200 per vehicle.  [Just throwing it out there].

Or similar to what happens with my vehicle, the quoted cost of adding it (as they don't come preinstalled) was like $1500.  It's all about the numbers really, just like consoles.  Also manufacturers selling vehicles at a near or loss isn't unheard of.  The Mach-e currently costs more to produce than they are selling it for.

Actually, let me put this in perspective, when I last went shopping for a minivan.  To get heated seats for some vehicles, you have to upgrade to a premium class (as that's how they minimize the SKU's).  I don't need the other features, but to get heated seats I effectively would need to upgrade to the few thousand dollar more option.  I prefer a vehicle where there is the "base" model, and I can add things on a la carte without breaking the bank getting features I don't need just for a single feature.  e.g. built in GPS is not needed, sat radio isn't needed, etc

This is so wasteful. They'll now put the heating coils in every single car even if someone doesn't want it. As always, "ecology" ends where money begins.

yeah, but nah.  Having worked in manufacturing of large road going vehicles with many and varying options,   I can assure you there is nothing in this that makes it cheaper for the consumer, it is literally just a new way for companies to sell more options while taking choice from consumers.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I will never buy a vehicle with subscription based anything.  

You might as well just rent the car. 

@LogicalDrm Sorry first time posting a topic for the tech news I hope I have changed it to comply now Cheers

1 hour ago, IceSuperDave said:

@LogicalDrm Sorry first time posting a topic for the tech news I hope I have changed it to comply now Cheers

Sorry, but you need to do more than one sentence. Please read the guidelines:

Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Curious how long til subscription keys appear on the 'Bay 🙂

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

@LogicalDrm Hi sorry I hope I have complied now like I say first time posting about something other then trying to get advice on pc upgrades. 👍

The automotive industry is getting cancerous now they've tasted the subscription favor. It's only a matter of time the other automotive manufacturers will follow this bullshit and it will only get worse with many other subscriptions to come.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

If you wanna go about your own way, could always get one of those heating seat pads. Can also wrap the steering wheel for cold climate. Though, it'd make more sense to simply opt for an older model that has these functions without an overly stupid subscription system.