BMW heated seats subscription UK

1 minute ago, Obioban said:

Touch screens may not be impossible to blindly operate, but they are VASTLY worse for it.

The thing I miss most from the pre smartphone era (probably the only thing) was being able to touch type via T9 while driving, without looking at the phone. Completely infeasible these days.

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You cannot build muscle memory on a smooth flat surface, anyone who actually tried to use touch interface while driving knows this.

Button and knob design? I set anything you want without ever taking my eyes off of the road, because physical buttons make it possible to have reference points because they have a fixed place and have actual feedback when you operate them. Some even can relay the actual state by staying in the position you  set them into (light switch, high beam, windshield wiper, etc). These are the properties make it possible to build a muscle memory.

I would ague that gesture controls are bad for all things, including phones. A labeled button? Anyone can figure it out with a little thought. A hidden gesture that requires 3 fingers and demands you start within a certain vicinity on the screen? Good luck figuring that out without being explicitly told what to do.

I have recently come to the realization that the elderly struggle with modern systems, not because they're "dumb" or "resistant to change," but because modern systems truly suck and are thoroughly unintuitive.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

14 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You cannot build muscle memory on a smooth flat surface, anyone who actually tried to use touch interface while driving knows this.

Side of the screen is a reference point, it's why sliding to drive/reverse is so easy to do [and why I brought it up as a good example of one].

I can also operate the touch media controls on my camry with no issues (compared to buttons).  The touch buttons are big enough and I know the approximate location.

Like I also said, you can still add in tactile feel to touch devices (although I believe the dynamic tactile features are stuck behind a patent).

It's the same type of argument that people are trying to use here.  That physical locks are better than the digital ones, but refuse to hear examples where physical locks fail a lot worse than digital ones.  The fact is, a well designed touch interface can actually be as good as physical, and there are examples of really stupid physical designs as well

Let me ask you this, are you seriously telling me you want a vehicle that has a physical knob for shifting that's right next to the volume knob?  When it's the same size.  Or would you prefer swiping the left side of screen, which is easy enough to do blindfolded (that even looking out the window should be within your peripheral vision)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

touch-ish buttons on steering wheel doing light up display on your window could work.

so a simple back and forth, select and adjust -/+, with simple menu for best and "safest managment" (so long its not blocked etc) while looking straight ahead.

22 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Side of the screen is a reference point, it's why sliding to drive/reverse is so easy to do [and why I brought it up as a good example of one].

I can also operate the touch media controls on my camry with no issues (compared to buttons).  The touch buttons are big enough and I know the approximate location.

Like I also said, you can still add in tactile feel to touch devices (although I believe the dynamic tactile features are stuck behind a patent).

It's the same type of argument that people are trying to use here.  That physical locks are better than the digital ones, but refuse to hear examples where physical locks fail a lot worse than digital ones.  The fact is, a well designed touch interface can actually be as good as physical, and there are examples of really stupid physical designs as well

Let me ask you this, are you seriously telling me you want a vehicle that has a physical knob for shifting that's right next to the volume knob?  When it's the same size.  Or would you prefer swiping the left side of screen, which is easy enough to do blindfolded (that even looking out the window should be within your peripheral vision)

I would prefer a manual shift level on the console and a rotary knob for volume on the dash that my hand falls to naturally when rested on the shift lever... which happens to be exactly how my cars are 😛

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

You just clutching straws, yeah you can find the upper rightcorner/right edege, good luck locating the buttons blindly though..... And with this im done with this BS. Touch interface in cars are dumb and dangerous, period.

26 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You just clutching straws, yeah you can find the upper rightcorner/right edege, good luck locating the buttons blindly though..... And with this im done with this BS. Touch interface in cars are dumb and dangerous, period.

It's not grasping at straws.  You said that all touch interfaces are equally bad for safety, and that physical is better.  It's not grasping at straws to point out that there's a stupid physical design that's way more dangerous than a touch interface.

Like I've said, I can comfortably navigate my touch screen without looking at it, so that again thwarts you impossible for muscle memory.  Good design can mean a world of difference.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

54 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

It's not grasping at straws.  You said that all touch interfaces are equally bad for safety, and that physical is better.  It's not grasping at straws to point out that there's a stupid physical design that's way more dangerous than a touch interface.

Like I've said, I can comfortably navigate my touch screen without looking at it, so that again thwarts you impossible for muscle memory.  Good design can mean a world of difference.

Even if you can, that becomes increasingly impossible as screens get larger (as a smaller percent of the screen becomes edge adjacent)-- which they constantly are.