Leave the Comic Sans font, or some other similarly easier to read/more accessible font as the default.

Bitter

So this may not be super widely known but reading text on a screen can be challenging for some, I do fine and don't have any disability with it but that's not the case for us all. There's some browser plugins to change default fonts but that can be buggy and break things on websites and be kind of a pain. It harms no one to use a more eye friendly font and helps those who need a little more help reading online. It may be especially beneficial to our international users whom are not natively accustomed to a 'Romanized font' as their native written language is of Asian or Cyrillic origin.

http://dyslexiahelp.umich.edu/sites/default/files/good_fonts_for_dyslexia_study.pdf

There's plenty of other studies and opinions and articles supporting this position, it's easy to implement on the forum, there's not many negatives to the change, and it could do some good.

I’d not make it the default. Make it a option for site wide font, sure. personally on my phone I find it harder to read, just trying to read through your post I’m getting eye strain

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The idea that Comic Sans is easier to read for dyslexic people is largely a myth. To the extent CS makes a difference at all (and this is inconclusive), it's because of features it shares with many other fonts, mainly the character spacing, not anything unique or distinctive about CS.

https://www.tes.com/magazine/teaching-learning/general/does-comic-sans-really-help-dyslexic-learners

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

18 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

It's obviously some early April fools prank.

What do you mean? This new font is part of the latest forum update. It's here to stay!

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

23 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

What do you mean? This new font is part of the latest forum update. It's here to stay!

ya what do you mean this is definitely permanent and here to stay? /s

31 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

It's not a prank. It's an actual update to the forum. The best update there is!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 minutes ago, kirashi said:

It's not part of an update,because i logged in after the maintenance work and the font wasn't changed.

The font changed a few hours after the maintenance work.

Probably because of April's fools.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Thank god it's a prank, my friggin eyes hurt 🥺

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

22 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's not part of an update,because i logged in after the maintenance work and the font wasn't changed.

The font changed a few hours after the maintenance work.

Probably because of April's fools.

Nah, that's just part of the new caching algorithm introduced as part of the new update. It takes a while for certain assets to cache across the multi-dimensional Content Discombobulation Neutering (CDN) system. Now that caching has completed, the forums load 900% faster!

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

The Comic Sans annoyed me so much that i made a Tampermonkey script to remove it...

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Remove Comic Sans
// @namespace    https://linustechtips.com/profile/660021-vishera/
// @version      1.0
// @description  Remove Comic Sans
// @author       Vishera (https://linustechtips.com/profile/660021-vishera/)
// @match        https://linustechtips.com/*
// @icon         https://www.google.com/s2/favicons?sz=64&domain=linustechtips.com
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var elems = document.getElementsByTagName("style")[0].innerHTML = " ";
})();

Make sure to change in the settings the "Run at" to:

Run at: document-body

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

I cannot STAND the Comic Sans font. It makes my eyes bleed. That being said, I use Mozilla and it has a setting for "default font", apparently only works if none is specified by the site though.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I cannot STAND the Comic Sans font. It makes my eyes bleed.

Install Tampermonkey > Install my script > Profit

Being dyslexic myself I see this update as an absolute win.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

Even though the font is probably just for April fools, i'd love it if it would stay as an option tbh. Not just for dyslexic people but because some people simply might just like it. Maybe even include more fonts? Idk how realistic that is and how much work it is though.

I know it's a meme to hat Comic Sans, but i personally like it more than the sterile Arial look.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Needs to DIAF.  But yeah, the fact that there is no default font, font size, etc--that each user can choose.....is irksome.

6 hours ago, IPD said:

Needs to DIAF.  But yeah, the fact that there is no default font, font size, etc--that each user can choose.....is irksome.

I can modify my script to change the font 😄

This script will change the font to Felix Titling - Which is a classical Latin font:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Classical Latin font
// @version      1.0
// @description  Classical Latin font
// @icon         https://www.google.com/s2/favicons?sz=64&domain=linustechtips.com
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var elems = document.getElementsByTagName("style")[0].innerHTML = "@import url('https://fonts.cdnfonts.com/css/felix-titling'); *:not(i) {font-family: 'Felix Titling', sans-serif !important;} ";
})();

image.thumb.png.834e9eafd99c7b421af0a1dfacfcf368.png

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I can modify my script to change the font 😄

This script will change the font to Felix Titling - Which is a classical Latin font:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Classical Latin font
// @version      1.0
// @description  Classical Latin font
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var elems = document.getElementsByTagName("style")[0].innerHTML = "@import url('https://fonts.cdnfonts.com/css/felix-titling'); *:not(i) {font-family: 'Felix Titling', sans-serif !important;} ";
})();

image.thumb.png.834e9eafd99c7b421af0a1dfacfcf368.png

I never knew I needed this until now. Mods/Forum staff, make this an option please.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Can be something like Helvetica or Verdana except Verdana is just actually larger so that might break formatting for some things. It would be nice to have an option in our user settings to make the forums in a default font and size rather than relying on plugins and add-ons. Making things more accessible from the back end is usually the better way to do it, yeah?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Can be something like Helvetica or Verdana except Verdana is just actually larger so that might break formatting for some things. It would be nice to have an option in our user settings to make the forums in a default font and size rather than relying on plugins and add-ons. Making things more accessible from the back end is usually the better way to do it, yeah?

I like Calibri a lot 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Comic sands in dark mode is a true terror on the eyes. I don't know why it hurts so much, but I get headaches looking at it. Calibri though is a nice neutral one.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Gotta say I unironically like this temporary change to Comic Sans and it would be nice to have this as a alternative font option on this site. (Yes, Firefox and other browsers let you change the font but it'd just be nice to have a better way to do it.)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Gotta say I unironically like this temporary change to Comic Sans and it would be nice to have this as a alternative font option on this site. (Yes, Firefox and other browsers let you change the font but it'd just be nice to have a better way to do it.)

I gave up and did this with firefox.  I'll probably have to remember to change it back eventually to "un-break" other webpages.

Well, someone beat me to post this.

Anyway, maybe we can like adjust our default font through our setting, so we can just pick the font we're most fond of. I actually like Times New Roman and Comic San MS and to some extent, Courier New, but well, Courier New I would like to keep it as a command prompt.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.