Botherations, You’ll need a Microsoft account to set up future versions of Windows 11 Pro

Lightwreather

Post image

Good question Red.

Summary

Now that Windows 11's first major post-release update has been issued, Microsoft has started testing a huge collection of new features, UI changes, and redesigned apps in the latest Windows Insider preview for Dev channel users.But tucked away toward the bottom of the changelog is one unwelcome addition: like the Home edition of Windows 11, the Pro version will now require an Internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup.

Quotes

In the current version of Windows 11, you could still create a local user account during setup by not connecting your PC to the Internet—something that also worked in the Home version of Windows 10 but was removed in 11. That workaround will no longer be available in either edition going forward, barring a change in Microsoft's plans.

While most devices do require a sign-in to fully enable app stores, cloud storage, and cross-device sharing and syncing, Windows 11 will soon stand alone as the only major consumer OS that requires account sign-in to enable even basic functionality

This change shouldn't affect anyone who has already configured Windows with a local account, nor will it affect people who use a workplace-provided username and password to log in to their work PCs. But it's a frustrating change for people who regularly set up new Windows installations for development or testing or anyone trying to set up a new PC in a place without an Internet connection.

My thoughts

Welp, Microsoft's going to be requiring Internet access to install windows 11 for pro as well. What are my thoughts? If I weren't so polite, I'd say something along the lines of Linus Torvald's nvidia f-bomb, but since I'm Polite, I'll say this: I hope that whoever thought of this idea and everyone who approved this steps on a lego barefoot. Yea, I think that should convey my feelings pretty well. Oh and this is going to be far worse for VM-users who'll have to sign in everytime they install windows. Thankfully, it won't affect currently installed versions of windows 11 pro, but this is nonetheless deeply unwelcome. I should also point out that a lot of features from the dev channel don't make it to final release, and for Microsoft's sake, I hope this "feature" doesn't.

Sources

ArsTechnica

Windows Insider Blog (Ars wasn't kidding when they said this was hidden deep in the changelog, it's under [Other Changes], just above "Fixes")

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

The DRM (doom rights management) train continues to rocket into hell...

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Really Microsoft? Really? Only reason I stayed with Windows was because Pro version didn't require this assholery. If they'll enforce this crap I'll seriously go with Linux full on. I've done it once when they announced this shit and I'll do it again. This time for good. This is just beyond moronic. I don't want a god damn online account. It was stupid back in Windows 8 days when shit literally locked you out of local system if internet connection was not working and it's still stupid today.

I can't describe the idiocy I had to go through installing Windows 11 on laptop because it demanded account registration during install but I couldn't because dumb OS somehow couldn't install WLAN driver. Which never happened before, even Linux fixed this shit few months ago.

26 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Welp, Microsoft's going to be requiring Internet access to install windows 11 for pro as well. What are my thoughts?

I'm totally against forced user profiles in Windows 11 Pro.  I kind of got it for Windows 11 home, but for Pro...no, it's not right in my opinion (especially given that people already purchased pro.  Every few years re-installing just to have a clean build).

The thing is, I often help out family with computer issues, having to reinstall Windows etc.  I don't like asking them for things like passwords and such to accounts that they likely have linked to personal stuff...so without the ability to create local accounts it means I will be helping them out a lot less (when it comes to reinstalling Windows and loading up their desktop with the programs they use).

I'm trying to avoid Windows 11 for as long as possible though, since it feels overall incomplete to me.  Locked taskbar, collapsed icons (I know there is regedits that can change it, but I mean it should be in the settings), and my laptop now plays a chime for the Windows Hello via speakers when I have earbuds plugged in.  I prefer not to have my laptop making audible noise when I choose to.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

32 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Summary

Now that Windows 11's first major post-release update has been issued, Microsoft has started testing a huge collection of user data, changes unwanted by users, and redesigned bullshit apps in the latest Windows Insider preview for Dev channel users.But tucked away toward the bottom of the changelog is one unwelcomed addition Microsoft wants and is forcing on users: the Home edition of Windows 11, the Pro version will now require an Internet connection and a Microsoft account during setup.

Quotes

My thoughts

Welp, Microsoft's going to be requiring Internet access to install windows 11 for pro as well. What are my thoughts? If I weren't so polite, I'd say something along the lines of Linus Torvald's nvidia f-bomb, but since I'm Polite, I'll say this: I hope that whoever thought of this idea and everyone who approved this will step on a lego barefoot. Yea, I think that should convey my feelings pretty well. Oh and this is going to be far worse for VM-users who'll have to sign in everytime they install windows. Thankfully, it won't affect currently installed versions of windows 11 pro, but this is nonetheless deeply unwelcome. I should also point out that a lot of features from the dev channel don't make it to final release, and for Microsoft's sake, I hope this "feature" doesn't.

Sources

ArsTechnica

Windows Insider Blog (Ars wasn't kidding when they said this was hidden deep in the changelog, it's under [Other Changes], just above "Fixes")

Just had to fix all that for you. 😁

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Welp...based on not doing so for "businesses" in a "managed" environment...

...this is how MS pushes the grey/black market of enrollment windows keys, that are horrific from a security standpoint, a lot of business.

Good job with yet another security and design decision disaster MS.  Definitely time to ditch my remaining Windows installs for good and start more heavily voicing to companies they should support linux.

1 hour ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I'm trying to avoid Windows 11 for as long as possible though,

I didnt start using 10 till just this january . 7 is bae

48 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

A lot of businesses already have Microsoft accounts or use Microsoft services. This is the Pro version, intended for business use. What's more, the features that the "Pro" version offers would require a Microsoft account (or some kind of account integration) anyway, since it's centrally managed by IT staff using Microsoft products. This is similar to Windows 10 Pro in a lot of ways.

The contempt here is really misplaced and the "That's it I'm going to Linux" reaction is overblown. This isn't the home version and you're getting upset over a version which you wouldn't use unless you're doing it for business, which wouldn't matter anyway because then you'll use whatever your business tells you to use and have separate accounts anyway.

Businesses dont use pro, they use Enterprise edition. 

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Yeah ill give it about 5 days before its patched out by modders.

At the very least you can install the older version of pro then update it.

Unless they change it from new installations to a certain build of windows after login.

1 hour ago, Sakuriru said:

A lot of businesses already have Microsoft accounts or use Microsoft services. This is the Pro version, intended for business use. What's more, the features that the "Pro" version offers would require a Microsoft account (or some kind of account integration) anyway, since it's centrally managed by IT staff using Microsoft products. This is similar to Windows 10 Pro in a lot of ways.

The contempt here is really misplaced and the "That's it I'm going to Linux" reaction is overblown. This isn't the home version and you're getting upset over a version which you wouldn't use unless you're doing it for business, which wouldn't matter anyway because then you'll use whatever your business tells you to use and have separate accounts anyway.

you would have a point if it werent for the fact that a lot of people  choose "pro" because it offers (offered?) a little bit more freedom over home, thats besides business would typically use the enterprise editions.

You also glanced over the little fact that according to Microsofts apparent plan there now arent any affordable windows (11) versions anymore that dont require a Microsoft account, which isnt going to go all too well with a lot of people, myself included.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Oh and this is going to be far worse for VM-users who'll have to sign in everytime they install windows. 

To that Microsoft execs say:

Something something something

Buy enterprise editions!!!!!!

Something something something

😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

32 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

At the very least you can install the older version of pro then update it.

Unless they change it from new installations to a certain build of windows after login.

And you'd also have to find an old enough version first… probably not an issue now, but after some years, huge security risk to just download random "old" windows installers… 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

And you'd also have to find an old enough version first… probably not an issue now, but after some years, huge security risk to just download random "old" windows installers… 

Thats why I just downloaded it now, also you could buy a usb copy if you want something physical.

As for down the line, you can verify the MD5 hash or potentially find a way to patch the iso. 

This is also really bad for tech reviewers. Having to set up MS account will be a problem, but more importantly, Windows will now auto-download its drivers, which often aren't the newest ones.

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Good thing it's their os, their rules right?

Oh wait, sorry that's only in some circumstances,  my bad.

It is their OS and their rules.  Doesn't mean I have to like it or continue to use it. 🙂

3 minutes ago, justpoet said:

It is their OS and their rules.  Doesn't mean I have to like it or continue to use it. 🙂

No you don't understand, it's their rules, that means you're not allowed to complain about it at allllllllll.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

No you don't understand, it's their rules, that means you're not allowed to complain about it at allllllllll.

Complaints ≠ lawsuits

To be fair, legally speaking they could be right, maybe wrong, even though they know that most people hate Microsoft accounts. But, there is a slight loophole to the Microsoft account situation. If you don't want a fresh install, and don't mind a possible downgrade in performance with just an upgrade, you can completely, and legally, bypass the account setup. Well, as long as you didn't have a Microsoft account on Windows 10. If you do, you ruin the entire point.

Turn it off then on again. 
CPU: Ryzen 3 3300x.                   GPU: MSI VENTUS XS 1660 TI *6 GB GDDR6*                    RAM: 16x2 of Trident Z Neo 3200MHZ                      Storage: 1x SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB M.2 Gen 4 SSD. 1x 7200rpm WD Blue 1 TB Hard Drive.                          Motherboard: MSI TOMAHAWK MAX II B450                             COOLER: Stock AMD                 EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT, 80 PG.                        Case: Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW                     OS: Windows 11 Home Edition.

I'm sure ratiborus have something to say about that.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition