Dbrand pulls PS5 "darkplates" from sale entirely then goes on a Twitter rant

Master Disaster

Anyone remember Dbrand baiting Sony with the message "go ahead, sue us"? Well they just received a C&D from Sony legal and PS5 darkplates are officially collectors items.... for now at least.

Earlier this year, Dbrand started selling matte black PS5 side plates that it called Darkplates, and when it did, it baited Sony right on the product’s info page to “Go ahead, sue us.” We got our hands on some, and they look exactly like you expect, making the sides of your PS5 black instead of white. They even have their own tongue-in-cheek take on the PlayStation icon microtexture.

As of Saturday, though, you can’t buy Darkplates anymore, as Dbrand has removed them from sale after (perhaps unsurprisingly) receiving a cease and desist letter from Sony. (If you visit the Darkplates site right now, it just shows a list of news articles, including ones from The Verge).

Dbrand are complying with the request but its pretty obvious they have a plan to fight back. I wonder if this was an Epic Apple type situation with Dbrand hoping this would happen just so they could challenge it.

Sony raises a few grievances in the letter, including taking issue with how the faceplates “replicate SIE’s [Sony Interactive Entertainment] protected product design” and with Dbrand’s versions of the PlayStation icons. Dbrand says the letter was issued earlier this year but didn’t provide an exact timeline as to when.

As part of the letter, Sony asked that Dbrand “promptly and permanently cease and take down all marketing and promotion for and cease all sales worldwide of faceplates featuring the product configuration of SIE’s PS5 faceplates or any similar product configuration, including without limitation all faceplates currently for sale at dbrand.com.”

Dbrand does not appear to be agreeing to comply with a permanent cease and desist, though. It says it will comply for now.

The company has been on a huge rant over on the /r/dbrand subreddit, you can read it in full here -

And if anyone wants to read the full letter The Verge posted it here - https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21085950/sony-cd-letter-to-dbrand.pdf

Source - https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/16/22728936/dbrand-pulls-ps5-darkplates-from-sale-sony-threatens-legal-action

What the actual fuck. Sony obviously have some kind of proprietary plans for the PS5 faceplates involving licensing and more money for customers but holy hell. Bad move Sony.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I mean, they were literally asking for it......

Tho I do love customization.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Next up, Sony's lawyers realize you can put any sticker on the side of a PS5 and are now conflicted over whether to drop the Dbrand case or add every single custom sticker company to it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Next up, Sony's lawyers realize you can put any sticker on the side of a PS5 and are now conflicted over whether to drop the Dbrand case or add every single custom sticker company to it.

Considering dbrand went out of their way to make sure that none of Sony's trademarks were infringed upon. What Sony is doing would be the same as a car manufacturer suing somebody for making unbranded replacement panels (regardless of material).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so, phone company gonna sue phone case makers now? 🤔

Well the plates is not considered the same as a phone case, they actually cloning sony's plate design, which is a problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well the plates is not considered the same as a phone case, they actually cloning sony's plate design, which is a problem.

I dont think you can get protection for the shape of a plastic piece that is easily removable and replaceable. Just think, if what you wrote is true car manufacturers wouldve killed aftermarket parts a long time ago....

11 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont think you can get protection for the shape of a plastic piece that is easily removable and replaceable. Just think, if what you wrote is true car manufacturers wouldve killed aftermarket parts a long time ago....

Actually yes you can. There are 3 types of patent you can get, one is totally irrelevant (its about plant species), the other 2 are utility patent and design patent.

A utility patent covers the way something operates where as a design patent covers the way something looks. If Sony has both of these in place (or pending) then AFAICT the thing is covered.

#notlegaladvice

This is the reason why those guys that tried to make custom plates last year had to change to just doing skins

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

29 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I dont think you can get protection for the shape of a plastic piece that is easily removable and replaceable.

you'd be surprise at what corporations are capable of

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

you'd be surprise at what corporations are capable of

Literally anybody can apply for a design patent, you don't need to be a corporation.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Literally anybody can apply for a design patent, you don't need to be a corporation.

not the capability of applying, but the capability of even making it available to be patented is what i am implying

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

not the capability of applying, but the capability of even making it available to be patented is what i am implying

Huh? Patents have been a thing since the 1800s. I'm really not sure what you're saying here.

Edit - just for fun, Wikipedia actually lists the first ever granted design patent, it was a font from 1842 😄

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD1

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Huh? Patents have been a thing since the 1800s. I'm really not sure what you're saying here.

Edit - just for fun, Wikipedia actually lists the first ever granted design patent, it was a font from 1842 😄

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD1

i guess, an example would be kind of like how disney kept changing the copyright rules to fit their agenda

Just now, Moonzy said:

i guess, an example would be kind of like how disney kept changing the copyright rules to fit their agenda

Yeah, that's pretty infamous but they didn't change the rules, they only changed the length of time the rules applied.

100 years is absolutely stupid.

10 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

The faceplates are an integral part of the PS5, which is copyrighted by sony.

Aftermarket auto parts can also infringed copyright, if they clone it 1:1 without permission, yes, they sued them especially for the big fish. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I wonder if this was an Epic Apple type situation with Dbrand hoping this would happen just so they could challenge it.

I've always pictured DBrand as a couple of guys and a tape printer or something, not a company that thinks it can slug it out in court with Sony (Unless they know a major lawyer who's wanting to make some kind of legal history)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

reasons like this are exactly why i made my mission to never buy sony products, remember the M2 SD card?

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

What else is Sony willing to do to ruin their reputation, other than shutting down their Japanese game studios and censoring Japanese games harder than even Nintendo? Maybe they'll raise the price of their console to match scalpers next. "We heard that you are willing to pay $700 for the PS5 and we've listened." lmao. 

47 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yeah, that's pretty infamous but they didn't change the rules, they only changed the length of time the rules applied.

100 years is absolutely stupid.

Gotta say my opinion on this is a bit unique.  I don't have a problem with a company owning a copyright for as long as that company is using said product and it is the original owner.  I have a problem with companies buying music and cartoons from dying/dead/ artists or music labels then ruining it for everyone.  Copyright should be a protection for artwork, not a commodity to trade.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Sony paid a huge sum to some firm to design the console or spent a bunch of money in-house.

Dbrand then decides to make replica molds for profit… of course they’re going to be sued, and they should be. Get over it or write your local lawmakers to abolish copyright law.

This is pretty clear cut infringement…

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i don't necessarily agree with sony entirely, but dBrand did kind of bring this upon themselves by antagonizing them.

Even if you are honestly in the right, if you poke the bear you will get scratched.

eh

Sony playstation died the moment they moved SEC headquarters in the US. Been making garbage, trash, brain dead decision ever since.

imho ever since: Old japanese man thinking >>>>>>> American idiocy

Miss the days when sony had jap studios making fun, interesting, weird, quirky games. Now they're pretty much all the same, just change the story and the paint.

As for the dbrand case: idiotic decision from sony, didn't even have any of sony's logo. What next? C&D on skins that can be applied on any of their toys?

Go after anyone who tries to cosmetically mod their PS?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>