windows 10 update after used multable 3rd party programs to block and forgot.

Nightmare-Rex

as title says, i used multable update stoping programs like "stop w10 update" and "incontrol" but for some reason i must activated more than i ment to becuase now when went to undo it to take atlest the security updates, they don't fire. im assuming would have to do a regestry edit to reenable updates, then disable them again if want to. but since i used multable programs can this be done, or would i have to reinstall windows all again?

I'm sure you have reason to not update! 

I've used the tool from Chris Titus to block updates, 

The Ultimate Windows Utility (christitus.com)

screen-updates.png 

Daily Drives 

Windows 11 + Mac Soma + Mint Linux + Ubuntu MATE 

HomeLab

Proxmox + OPNsense + TrueNAS + Zabbix + Debian + win Svr 2022 + win10 + Home Assistant + iventoy + plus other junk  and like 12 dockers! 

Home Network

Unifi  - Express, flex, 8 port POE, Ap's other switches 

few things... you cant "only do security updates"...  Microsoft removed that option long ago, so either you update fully, or you don't.  secondly, all those "programs" are usually trash and not reliable. use "sledgehammer" instead.  they also have a "defcon" system which tells you if its "safe" to update (hint: it almost never is lol)

additional advantage is that sledgehammer lets you temporarily enable or disable the windows store, with just 1 click. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Nightmare-Rex said:

but since i used multable programs can this be done, or would i have to reinstall windows all again?

you should do dism and sfc/scannow commands to repair your install if you're actually planning to update.   no need to mess with registry etc (typically)  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Nightmare-Rex said:

as title says, i used multable update stoping programs like "stop w10 update" and "incontrol" but for some reason i must activated more than i ment to becuase now when went to undo it to take atlest the security updates, they don't fire. im assuming would have to do a regestry edit to reenable updates, then disable them again if want to. but since i used multable programs can this be done, or would i have to reinstall windows all again?

Honestly at this point Windows 10 updates are safe. I mean they stopped with the feature updates. And Windows 10 is legally dead next year. I would just let it up date.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Honestly at this point Windows 10 updates are safe. I mean they stopped with the feature updates. And Windows 10 is legally dead next year. I would just let it up date.

good point tbh - did they ever fix the explorer sorting bug tho?

in 1809 sorting say 100GB of videos takes about 10-20 seconds.  in 20H2 it takes up to 3 minutes! for the same freaking files (not just videos, everything) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

also yes, maybe - but OP's issue is they can't!  👀

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

good point tbh - did they ever fix the explorer sorting bug tho?

in 1809 sorting say 100GB of videos takes about 10-20 seconds.  in 20H2 it takes up to 3 minutes! for the same freaking files (not just videos, everything) 

Don’t know. Windows is purely used for gaming at this point. I use a Mac for my day to day. I’m not liking the direction Microsoft is taking Windows so there’s that. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Don’t know. Windows is purely used for gaming at this point. I use a Mac for my day to day. I’m not liking the direction Microsoft is taking Windows so there’s that. 

yeah my pc is simply used as a console equivalent minus the console restriction... hence i record lotsa clips and i see this huge speed discrepancy between those versions, like thumbnail generation and sorting got gradually worse during w10 evolution... 

i do have an older laptop which i could use for video editing,  pretty sure it'd be faster at this point (has win10 anniversary version installed)  but all the copying between machines etc would be tedious also I'd need to upgrade the laptops storage  - by a lot, like 4tb minimum... oof.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

few things... you cant "only do security updates"...  Microsoft removed that option long ago, so either you update fully, or you don't.  secondly, all those "programs" are usually trash and not reliable. use "sledgehammer" instead.  they also have a "defcon" system which tells you if its "safe" to update (hint: it almost never is lol)

additional advantage is that sledgehammer lets you temporarily enable or disable the windows store, with just 1 click. 

This app i wouldn't say is trash, It's maintained and actively worked on. As far as i know Sledgehammer  hasn't been updated since 2020! 

I myself run off the canary channel for my windows stuff 

Daily Drives 

Windows 11 + Mac Soma + Mint Linux + Ubuntu MATE 

HomeLab

Proxmox + OPNsense + TrueNAS + Zabbix + Debian + win Svr 2022 + win10 + Home Assistant + iventoy + plus other junk  and like 12 dockers! 

Home Network

Unifi  - Express, flex, 8 port POE, Ap's other switches 

On 5/21/2024 at 10:12 PM, Mark Kaine said:

allright how would i use the sledgehammer defcon? can what i did be undone or would i have to fully reinstall windows if want to update, and apprently i think it is redstone 5? that gets support till 2030 while most loose it in 2025? and program is just called sledge hammer?