Whats with the totally white rooms of all the LTT staff's homes?

poochyena

Every tech upgrade video makes me think LTT staff are all living in an insane asylum with the completely white floors, walls, and ceilings. Is it a Canadian thing or something?

Riley is a "minimalist."

The others are maybe just hoping they can convince Linus to come over and paint for them. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Every tech upgrade video makes me think LTT staff are all living in an insane asylum with the completely white floors, walls, and ceilings. Is it a Canadian thing or something?

From what I can gather (by just being around, mostly), "everything white" was a design trend from the middle '90s until the early '00s. My apartment is entirely extremely-light-grey (the only way you can tell is the switch plates are actually white and lighter than the walls around them) except for trim, doors, and flooring. The whole kitchen is white, including cabinets and appliances. I think it was supposed to make the space seem larger than it is, it's an easy "color" to coordinate, and a cheap paint color.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

it's the cheap default paint that exists in just about every home and condominimum in Canada.

When you buy a place, especially one that's new, most builders will only use eggshell white and leave it as that. When it comes to apartments and condos, while you can in some cases repaint, you have to get the approval fo the condo board or HOA. 

Especially if ones renting, they won't paint if they're not going to be long term because the owners of the building will often with hold security deposit, or outright charge you to return the  unit back to the "default" paint scheme.

Also: some of those condos, while "tiny" cost them hundreds of thousands and likely just haven't been able to, or bothered to spend the money to paint it yet. (Vancouver area where LTT is from is one of the most expensive places in the world to rent/buy right now with even tiny shoebox condos going for 1/2 mill +

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

Can confirm that Canada does favour white paints. 

I think I have 4 or 5 different shades in my house and a floor that is pearl white.

However, there is also a multitude of brash colours adorning some walls/floors.

20 hours ago, Sprawlie said:

Also: some of those condos, while "tiny" cost them hundreds of thousands and likely just haven't been able to, or bothered to spend the money to paint it yet. (Vancouver area where LTT is from is one of the most expensive places in the world to rent/buy right now with even tiny shoebox condos going for 1/2 mill +

thats not bad compared to most of California

White or some shade of off white is what most places start with and many people don't change it.

if you own it I don't see why you don't spend the 50$ and an evening or 2 painting at least 1-2 walls a room

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It always looks tacky to me when the walls or the ceiling isn't white (or black in some cases)... plus it's neutral, so it fits in with any kind of decor, while having coloured walls is limiting

🙂

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

thats not bad compared to most of California

White or some shade of off white is what most places start with and many people don't change it.

if you own it I don't see why you don't spend the 50$ and an evening or 2 painting at least 1-2 walls a room

because as I said in my post that you responded to, there are more than the $50 financial investment, especialyl givin that most of the staff from LTT live in either rental or condo units. 

if it's rental units, they may not have any leeway to repaint depending on their contract. and most of them would require returning the room back to the unpainted form before moving out (so that it's in it's white/default natural state for the next tenant)

Painting is easy and cheap, I always paint my own house and rooms. But if I knew that I'd have to completely repaint in 1 or 2 years before moving out? i'd not paint today. 

I can't speak to the current california housing prices. I just know that Vancouver where LTT staff are based is one of the most expensive places to live right now (it's a Canada problem). Also incomes in Vancouver aren't as high as California (canadians as a whole make less overall than their US counterparts), making the unaffordability worse. but honestly, the housing crisis is a massive topic and it gets way too political for here.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

-> Moved to Off Topic

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, Caroline said:

me in my room with white walls and ceiling:

2tfsx4.jpg?a452472

walls have wainscot paneling tho so they're not entirely white, just 2/3.

I don't like coloured walls, a friend has lime green paint on her room's walls and, honestly, it's horrible.

The trick with white paint is to use one that's not too bright otherwise it'll reflect all of the sunlight, when it comes to artificial light, warm tones (incandescent or 3000K LED) are better than cold/blue-ish (CFL, 6000K+ LED) and the walls look better.

Also one should never use latex paint for interiors, it's shiny and bad for the walls as it doesn't allows them to "breathe" out any possible humidity, if that gets trapped it can turn into mold and crack the concrete, rust iron beams or rot wood studs, I'm aware steel beams and framing is used nowadays.

Say what?  LOL

I'm not sure if you're getting paint types mixed up.  

Latex - Not sure if pure latex is even sold anymore - water based

Acrylic Latex - Comes in different qualities from partial Acrylic to the best being 100% Acrylic but still water based

Alkyd - Oil/petroleum based

Acrylic let's the wall breath and is mostly mold and mildew resistant.  It comes in every sheen from flat to high gloss and is just as durable as alkyd paints.  

Low grade Acrylic or Latex is generally in Primer/Sealers or what's known as apartment paints but will still let walls breath, comes in sheens from flat(generally ceiling paint) to semi-gloss but is not good at hiding and not very durable. 

Alkyd paints are not normally used anymore except in specific situations.  As a top coat very rare but still used by some because they offer the best flow and levelling. Alkyds are prone to mold and mildew and DO NOT let walls breath. 

BTW:  For anyone curious pure white is the best colour to hide dark colours which is why sealers are always white.  The more pigment(colour) added to paint the more translucent it is and the worse it hides which is why dark colours always need multiple coats. 

white is popular simple as that

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, poochyena said:

It's pretty much the only colour you're presented with if you buy a new home (condominium, townhouse, or standalone). If you want a specific colour, well you're paying someone to paint the walls or doing it yourself.  

On 8/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, Sprawlie said:

I can't speak to the current california housing prices. I just know that Vancouver where LTT staff are based is one of the most expensive places to live right now (it's a Canada problem). Also incomes in Vancouver aren't as high as California (canadians as a whole make less overall than their US counterparts), making the unaffordability worse. but honestly, the housing crisis is a massive topic and it gets way too political for here.

There's also probably some trend where painted rooms make for a harder sell or something. I've seen apartments with rooms painted bright red or pink here. I'm sure it'll be harder to try to get someone to pay asking in those situations. I'll admit I haven't bought a dwelling in the area yet, but I can imagine a questionably painted room can be a sticking point for some buyers who are already paying top dollar. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's pretty much the only colour you're presented with if you buy a new home (condominium, townhouse, or standalone). If you want a specific colour, well you're paying someone to paint the walls or doing it yourself.  

Interesting. They are all beige colored walls in the apartments in my area

brb gonna paint my walls clear

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

White reflects light, white makes small spaces feel larger, it's a neutral colour, easy to match decor to etc..

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I don't know if it's the same elsewhere in the world, but I'm moving right now and the rental agreement of my apartment states that the walls have to be white when you give the apartment back. So our apartment was given to us with white walls and we don't plan to change them.

Frankly, I also like the versatility of white, you can still make the room look nice with pictures and decoration and it's easy to match to your furniture. Plus, as others have mentioned, it does make the space feel very bright and spacious.