New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha
Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

nope, its the same size it looks.

Old switch is 6.2 inch and this ones 7 inch.

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

It's funny: people will gripe that there's no new chip, it's still 720p, the Joy-Cons haven't changed... but it's virtually guaranteed to sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

Enthusiasts forget that everyday people don't fuss over the specs nearly as much. They care about the games and the experience. It'll look better and function better... if you don't already have a Switch, it'll be a great system.

Just now, Forbidden Wafer said:

1. People who want an OLED screen.
2. People who don't have a Switch (it still needs to double its sales to reach PS2 levels, which we could assume is the size of the addressable market).

True. I wasnt making it a mean question, I was just trying to say that they obviously made it for a specific audience and that people who are complaining right now are obviously unaware that this model isnt meant for them.

Just here for some fun.

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

1 minute ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

Old switch is 6.2 inch and this ones 7 inch.

thats the screen, not body........

the body is the same size, look at the bezels on the new one, much smaller

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Which leads me to believe they've upgraded the "CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor". Disappointing if they attribute extra power to an OLED screen. Also the fact that it cant output 4K when docked is a very large bummer.

they did the swap with the OG in 2019
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/new-standard-switch-model-will-improve-battery-life-about-40-percent/?comments=1

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

If this doesn't have a much faster Tegra with much more RAM then this is DOA.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Really? It’s 50$ more, it’s really only for people who don’t have a switch yet, or the people who bought a Redbox switch even though they had one

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Really? It’s 50$ more, it’s really only for people who don’t have a switch yet, or the people who bought a Redbox switch even though they had one

And for $50 more 5 years later there's literally no reason this shouldn't have Tegra X2 or a custom Tegra Ampere chip with 8GB RAM. If people haven't bought a switch based on Tegra X1 by now there's probably a very good reason for it. If this has the Mariko chip and not a newer better chip then there's really no reason to buy this.The screen is not the bottleneck in the existing Switch. The existing switch's problem besides the 32GB onboard Storage addressed by this model is the astronomically weak performance and low amount of ram. For $349 this really should have come with 128GB or even 256GB internal storage if there really is no new chip or ram bump.

The existing Tegra X1 and the X1 Mariko are both underpowered systems with barely enough ram and performance for developers to use. A 2-4x improvement in a new SOC and 2-4x more RAM would not be unwarranted or unreasonable. This device is not capable of running plenty of existing games on the market and game devs continue to have make compromises to bring games to the Switch.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And for $50 more 5 years later there's literally no reason this shouldn't have Tegra X2 or a custom Tegra Ampere chip with 8GB RAM. If people haven't bought a switch based on Tegra X1 by now there's probably a very good reason for it. If this has the Mariko chip and not a newer better chip then there's really no reason to buy this.The screen is not the bottleneck in the existing Switch. The existing switch's problem besides the 32GB onboard Storage addressed by this model is the astronomically weak performance and low amount of ram. For $349 this really should have come with 128GB or even 256GB internal storage if there really is no new chip or ram bump.

The existing Tegra X1 and the X1 Mariko are both underpowered systems with barely enough ram and performance for developers to use. A 2-4x improvement in a new SOC and 2-4x more RAM would not be unwarranted or unreasonable. This device is not capable of running plenty of existing games on the market and game devs continue to have make compromises to bring games to the Switch.

I love all these silly nerd number arguments for a system failure, when the Nintendo DS mopped the floor with the PlayStation Portable, and the DS didn't even have texture filtering.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I fpeople havent hadne gotten anything, theres a reason.

For a switch, its: were waiting untill a new revesion first, people didnt want one, people didnt have enough for one yet, they just learned about a switch (are new to gaming), they are afraid of drift, or have a bias against nintendo

For 3 of those, the oled one may be a real option...

Your saying this in a way that assumes they they would drop the price of the old one, which they would not. If you could get a switch for 300$, or one thats 3x as good for 350, 95% of people buying a new one would buy the better one, this is a new model, somethign to coexist, not a replacment

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I fpeople havent hadne gotten anything, theres a reason.

For a switch, its: were waiting untill a new revesion first, people didnt want one, people didnt have enough for one yet, they just learned about a switch (are new to gaming), they are afraid of drift, or have a bias against nintendo

For 3 of those, the oled one may be a real option...

Okay but if this is isn't intended to replace the regular Switch model then why is it coming out in 2021 with the same performance level as in their 2017 model unless Nintendo aren't planning a 2nd gen Switch anytime soon?

if Nintendo were going to come out with a Switch 2 at any point this year or next year or even the year after that then this new model makes no sense.

Your saying this in a way that assumes they they would drop the price of the old one, which they would not.

Their main Switch product has been on the market for 5 years. At some point they're going to have to replace it. Yes I know the 2019 Switch Mariko came out and for a temporary refresh it was fine and people didn't complain much about the performance on the understanding that Switch 2 would be coming at some point.

If you could get a switch for 300$, or one thats 3x as good for 350, 95% of people buying a new one would buy the better one, this is a new model, somethign to coexist, not a replacment

Again, if this is meant to co-exist alongside the $299 version then fundamentally it should have been discounted if they're not going to bump up the speed of either the $299 model or this $349 model. Frankly, the $199 Switch Lite should have been discounted to $149 and the $299 model discounted to $249 with this new model at $299 if they wanted to introduce a new model without improving the performance.

Okay but if this is isn't intended to replace the regular Switch model then why is it coming out in 2021 with the same performance level as in their 2017 model unless Nintendo aren't planning a 2nd gen Switch anytime soon?

Why did the switch lite come out in 2019 with the same preformance as their 2017 model?
its the same reason. To appeal to a diffrrent audience

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Again, if this is meant to co-exist alongside the $299 version then fundamentally it should have been discounted if they're not going to bump up the speed of either the $299 model or this $349 model. Frankly, the $199 Switch Lite should have been discounted to $149 and the $299 model discounted to $249 with this new model at $299 if they wanted to introduce a new model without improving the performance.

Yeha, consoles dont get discounts, especialy nintendos.

A normal switch at 200 and a lite at 150 would most likley lose nintendo a lot of money.... (especially the lite)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Why did the switch lite come out in 2019 with the same preformance as their 2017 model?
its the same reason. To appeal to a diffrrent audience

Yes, a completely different one. This to me doesn't target a different audience than the $299 model. This to me looks like it should have been a drop in replacement for the $299 model if there was not going to be any new CPU or RAM combo which Nintendo has confirmed this model won't have.

Yeha, consoles dont get discounts

Yes they do.

All the time.

, especialy nintendos.

Well Nintendo behaving unacceptably is one but justifying it and and saying it's okay to do it is equally bad.

A normal switch at 200 and a lite at 150 would most likley lose nintendo a lot of money.... (especially the lite)

No it wouldn't. Nintendo makes stupid profit margins on their current Switch lineup. 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC and their hardware costs very little to make.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

No it wouldn't. Nintendo makes stupid profit margins on their current Switch lineup. 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC and their hardware costs very little to make.

and your source?
Just becuase something looks like it costs nothing for a company doesnt mean that it does

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

and your source?

I didn't have one to hand because I consider it to be somewhat common knowledge but I found some after some googling.

This is from 2017 saying the Switch will be sold at a profit from the first day they were sold.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/nintendo-switch-sold-at-profit

Nintendo can't stop selling their products cos people are too eager to buy a 2017 console in 2020.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/05/tech/nintendo-earnings-intl-hnk/index.html

And Nintendo making so much money hand over fist it might even be irresponsible to stop the rampant consumerism.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/06/tech/nintendo-earnings-intl-hnk/index.html

There are also articles saying Nintendo makes so much profit per device they were worried a Switch Pro might not come out at $299 if at all.

Just becuase something looks like it costs nothing for a company doesnt mean that it does

It really doesn't cost Nintendo much of anything to make Switch consoles though.

Nvidia was almost giving away the Tegra chips to Nintendo and they still are cos Nvidia doesn't have a ton of business for Tegra low power (5W) outside of Nintendo atm. Nintendo are making serious bank with their consoles as they normally have previously because Nintendo doesn't believe in selling consoles at a loss and making it back in game sales.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

13 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I didn't have one to hand because I consider it to be somewhat common knowledge but I found some after some googling.

This is from 2017 saying the Switch will be sold at a profit from the first day they were sold.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/nintendo-switch-sold-at-profit

Nintendo can't stop selling their products cos people are too eager to buy a 2017 console in 2020.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/05/tech/nintendo-earnings-intl-hnk/index.html

And Nintendo making so much money hand over fist it might even be irresponsible to stop the rampant consumerism.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/06/tech/nintendo-earnings-intl-hnk/index.html

There are also articles saying Nintendo makes so much profit per device they were worried a Switch Pro might not come out at $299 if at all.

It really doesn't cost Nintendo much of anything to make Switch consoles though.

Nvidia was almost giving away the Tegra chips to Nintendo and they still are cos Nvidia doesn't have a ton of business for Tegra low power (5W) outside of Nintendo atm. Nintendo are making serious bank with their consoles as they normally have previously because Nintendo doesn't believe in selling consoles at a loss and making it back in game sales.

So is this Switch 'Dead On Arrival' or 'Going to make so much money it's insane because consumers want it badly no matter the price'?  You have to pick one stance or the other.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Sounds like Nintendo could've kept this in the cupboard.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

22 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

So is this Switch 'Dead On Arrival' or 'Going to make so much money it's insane because consumers want it badly no matter the price'?  You have to pick one stance or the other.

Not for the same product I don't. I don't see this product selling as well as the $299 model. The $299 model will continue to sell well but this model is not what people wanted or asked for from Nintendo.

Not for the same product I don't. I don't see this product selling as well as the $299 model. The $299 model will continue to sell well but this model is not what people wanted or asked for from Nintendo.

Looking at the nintendo page, the way its says "oled model" not Nintendo switch pro, makes it look like this will replace the redbox, as it s the "nintendo switch (oled model)". Those () make it seem like it will  become the only model

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Looking at the nintendo page, the way its says "oled model" not Nintendo switch pro, makes it look like this will replace the redbox, as it s the "nintendo switch (oled model)". Those () make it seem like it will  become the only model

I suspect that the OLED model will eventually become the "regular" Switch model (along with whatever current iteration of the Lite).

However, since they only just introduced it, they're likely selling it along side the "old" "regular" Switch so they can clear out inventory. I predict in a year or so tops, they'll discontinue the older one and the OLED one will become the "main" option.

That may or may not come with a price drop - but, until the old one goes away, it makes total sense to sell the OLED model at a small premium. It gives them some extra room on the margins, and it gives them the opportunity to still clear inventory on the older model.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I suspect that the OLED model will eventually become the "regular" Switch model (along with whatever current iteration of the Lite).

However, since they only just introduced it, they're likely selling it along side the "old" "regular" Switch so they can clear out inventory. I predict in a year or so tops, they'll discontinue the older one and the OLED one will become the "main" option.

That may or may not come with a price drop - but, until the old one goes away, it makes total sense to sell the OLED model at a small premium. It gives them some extra room on the margins, and it gives them the opportunity to still clear inventory on the older model.

Well, maybe after a price drop.  One thing is true: If you introduce a '2021 model', that is functionally the same but for a bigger, nicer screen and some other easy of use improvements, they're not gonna be pleased to see it replace the cheaper unit at $50 more.

But you keep this on the market as a higher end model, then cut $50 off after a year while killing the older unit, and there you go.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

yeah, there will probably be a drop to 300$ in about a year id guess, and id put some money on the redbox+mariokart box being at a slight discount this fall

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

yeah, there will probably be a drop to 300$ in about a year id guess, and id put some money on the redbox+mariokart box being at a slight discount this fall

If that's the case, I might pick up the Redbox version when it goes on sale. I've been eyeing a switch since the beginning of the Pandemic. However, I would mainly be using it docked with my TV, so the OLED revision doesn't necessarily matter much to me as a buyer.

Of course, once I get one, maybe I find that I use it in portable mode more often - but I don't think that'll be the case.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Of course, once I get one, maybe I find that I use it in portable mode more often - but I don't think that'll be the case.

I’d say the same thing, but I borrowed my uncles switch to play botw, and I have to say, I end up sitting in the living room, alone, tv off, using it in handheld mode laying on the couch.

or on my bed, or on my chair on gaming setup, or at the kitchen table with a cup of tea, or literally anywhere in my house, only playing on docked when I’m playing with someone.

if the Redbox is at a discount, I’ll get that this year prob, and swap it with my uncles launch model if I can. He doesn’t have home brew on it anyways, so he’d probably let me swap for a free upgrade, if it’s 300$ still, I’d probably get whatever oled model sale there is, as I’m in love with oled since I found a old lumpia icon, it just looks so good

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler