New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha
2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And so did I, go read my post again. I pointed out the much higher gpu clock speed for the switch, plus pointed out I doubt the ipc, untill I can get evidence that it is 4 times better

The WiiU had a 40nm TerraScale 1 chip, that being the RV740:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-rv740.g95

The 2017 Switch has a custom Tegra X1 chip:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gm20b.g819

In terms of RAW Output the RV740 wins out, obviously the Tegra Chip will win in terms of features, power consumption and so on.

2 minutes ago, strajk- said:

In terms of RAW Output the RV740 wins out, obviously the Tegra Chip will win in terms of features, power consumption and so on.

So you cannot provide evidence of 4x throughput then, figured as much.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Uhhhh, this is the WiiU GPU...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-latte.g413

You linked a discrete GPU with 640 shader units, when it's actually one with 160 shader units...

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

this HAS to be a joke right..... jesus nintendo.. you used to be cool

Cool I guess, I'm honestly glad they aren't moving away from the base hardware quite yet so my refurb unit will remain relevant for a bit longer 😛 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I am also enjoying seeing PC nerds try to argue, by misreading hardware specs, that the Wii U was a vastly superior console to the Switch, despite the Wii U selling about as well as a bag of ice cubes in the arctic.  Meanwhile the Switch has been in high demand for it's entire life cycle thus far and they can't understand why people are buying them.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

4 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I am also enjoying seeing PC nerds try to argue, by misreading hardware specs, that the Wii U was a vastly superior console to the Switch, despite the Wii U selling about as well as a bag of ice cubes in the arctic.  Meanwhile the Switch has been in high demand for it's entire life cycle thus far and they can't understand why people are buying them.

Uzbekistan outsold the Wii U 

3:1

24 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Thats not the techpowerup page for it, the techpowerup page for the wiiu has its code name, latte.

And that rv740 is WAY more powerful than the wiiu's, ike 5x the shader units

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

The hardware upgrades seem nice, though I'll never willingly buy an OLED version of a product when you can get it with an LCD. Hopefully Nintendo doesn't use PenTile, because that'd look like ass at 720p. 

I wonder if there will be a true "pro" model coming soon, or if this is a hold over until the Switch 2 or whatever comes out, considering that the original model is already a few years old. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

26 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Honestly, I don't really consider the screen an improvement, unless it's magic. OLEDs still wear out really fast compared to LCD right? Sure, it'll look nicer, but what will it look like in 5 years? 10 years? And were people really asking for a bigger screen on a handheld?

Double the internal storage is whatever because I can just stick a 512GB SD card in there. LAN port on the dock is nice but not a selling point, even for me.

New kickstand is nice. Better audio is nice, but... if I want good audio I'll use headphones/IEMs.

I mean, this is what Nintendo does, they don't push performance, they focus on unique features. I just thought that since the Switch is the first Nintendo portable to really mix game libraries with the rest of the industry they'd bump performance a bit, things like Doom and A Hat In Time kind'a make it chug.

I don't really see a reason to wait for it.

I dont see it as a upgrade for most users, really, but for 50$ more, its a good choice over a redbox, if your buying a first switch

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Uzbekistan outsold the Wii U 

3:1

I love it, love it, when I get to see nerds who can't see gaming beyond it being a series of numbers, dumbfounded by real world consumer habits.

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I don't see it as a upgrade for most users, really, but for 50$ more, its a good choice over a redbox, if your buying a first switch

I mean, maybe some users. To me it just looks like an alternative, not really better or worse, just catering to different people.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

There's already rumours that the Switch OLED is NOT the much rumoured Switch Pro and that Nintendo will be dropping the OG Switch next year, replacing it with the OLED then launching a Pro just in time for BOTW2.

They say take salt for rumours, what do you take for rumours about rumours then?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

There's already rumours that the Switch OLED is NOT the much rumoured Switch Pro and that Nintendo will be dropping the OG Switch next year, replacing it with the OLED then launching a Pro just in time for BOTW2.

They say take salt for rumours, what do you take for rumours about rumours then?

That would be... kind'a rude, honestly.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I'm disappointed. I sold my switch last year in anticipation to a Switch "pro". 

Honestly, this is what the "RedBox" switch should've been instead of just featuring the smaller process node SOC and better battery life. The Switch's "stand" for table top play was a real joke and this wide stand is much better IMO.

Still hoping for a Switch 2 next year with the rumored 4k gaming experience while docked, because the dock has extra hardware in it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

59 minutes ago, strajk- said:

In terms of IPC, the GPU inside the WiiU is 4 times more powerful than the one in the 2017 Switch, no, it's not more powerful, the CPU and RAM are superior, but in terms of raw performance to push as many frames as possible it's worse.

Can you confirm this? Because from my research, you're wrong.

The WiiU uses the "Latte" chip, based on the R600/R700.

Specs here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/wii-u-gpu.c1903

Shaders: 160

FP32: 160 GFLOPS

The Switch uses the GM20B core:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/switch-gpu-20nm.c3104

Stream Processors: 256

FP32: 393 GFLOPS

The Switch is clearly the more powerful console in both CPU and GPU regards.

39 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You got a source for that?

35 minutes ago, strajk- said:

As already mentioned, you're quoting the wrong GPU for the WiiU. It's not nearly as powerful as a full blown RV740.

30 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Uhhhh, this is the WiiU GPU...

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/amd-latte.g413

You linked a discrete GPU with 640 shader units, when it's actually one with 160 shader units...

Yep this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I’m actually kinda pissed at Nintendo for this. All the other consoles new reversions had increased preformance (Xbox one x, ps4 pro) and they sold like hot cakes, but it didn’t make the origonals obsolete, if Nintendo did have higher preformance for 100-200$ more like don’t and ms it would make sense

I personally hated the mid gen console refreshes last gen. All they offered was resolution gains because they were still tethered to those crap Jaguar cores that bottlenecked the new gpus so harshly. I bought a PS4 in late 2013 and it was a no-brainer for me to take the PS4 Slim + Uncharted 4 bundle for $220 vs $450 for the PS4 Pro by itself when the PS4 Pro just offered 1440p/1800p at the same performance vs 1080p on the Slim for more than double the price without the free game (and Uncharted 4 was one of the biggest reasons I wanted a PS4).

Switch Pro would have to double the cpu and gpu power of the original Switch to make it worthwhile to me, so that I could play games at 60 fps instead of 30 fps. And that sounds like a pretty tall ask in 2021 given how much demand is outstripping supply on current generation manufacturing nodes. A Switch Pro capable of that kind of bump in power would have to end up very expensive and very hard to find in this current climate.

But the worst part is it would give Nintendo a reason to extend this generation too long. I don't want to see this as an 8-9 year gen, which I could see happening with mid gen refreshes. I'd rather see what they can do on 5nm with a new system in 2-3 years when supply is hopefully reasonable again.

17 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I love it, love it, when I get to see nerds who can't see gaming beyond it being a series of numbers, dumbfounded by real world consumer habits.

Dude, that was a joke.

Also im really cool(pliz believe me, I used dude!)

The Wii U is a punchline(never owned a Wii U). My console list has been the wii-> DS -> hiatus(stopped high school and college) Finally bought a switch in 2019.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

But the worst part is it would give Nintendo a reason to extend this generation too long. I don't want to see this as an 8-9 year gen, which I could see happening with mid gen refreshes. I'd rather see what they can do on 5nm in 2-3 years when supply is hopefully reasonable again.

The switch came out mid gen though, i could see nintendo waiting untill the nex gen for a full sucessor

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

The switch came out mid gen though, i could see nintendo waiting untill the nex gen for a full sucessor

God I hope not, I can't really see Switch being viable for new games in 2027.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

God I hope not, I can't really see Switch being viable for new games in 2027.

you would eb supprised, its has steam from market share alone

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

you would eb supprised, its has steam from market share alone

Also: Games do not have to have the largest most amazing whizzbang graphics.  Games have to be fun.  Anyone here think Raytracing is gonna 'change the game' for Pokemon or Mario or Tetris?

2 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Also: Games do not have to have the largest most amazing whizzbang graphics.  Games have to be fun.  Anyone here think Raytracing is gonna 'change the game' for Pokemon or Mario or Tetris?

tbh foir graphics for nintendo games, teh Wii is good enough lol

EDIt: typos, typing when in a game is hard

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

No one expects PS5 level graphics out of Switch or its successor, given that it's likely to also be a hybrid and thus can't consume 300W like a PS5. But I still want more ambitious games to be put out. Games like BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 push the system as far as it can go and then Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity and even Link's Awakening have proved too much for the Switch. I was so stoked on Age of Calamity from the previews until I saw the game runs sub 20 fps often. Now I have to wait for either a successor that can run Switch games better in BC just like PS5 does for PS4 games or wait for Switch emulation to be significantly better than original hardware (like it is for Wii U right now nine years after the Wii U's release).

9 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I only have one game on my phone: Tetris.

I agree that graphics aren't important if the gameplay is good, but for 350 dollars nintendo can do something good. Phone makers are putting out droids with better everything and they are doing it with passively cooled devicess.