New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha
Just now, ki8aras said:

@HelpfulTechWizard

@WolframaticAlpha   

4.5-9 hours??? what kind of range is that?

There’s a long range of titles for the switch, some titles are much heavier; I’d guess 4.5hr would be under full brightness and a demanding game, 9hr is th range for a week let game and more reasonable brightness.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

that battery tho...

id expected something bigger for the device with that size

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

26 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Summary

Nintendo dropped the next revision of the switch today, the long awaited Switch Pro.

But wait, it’s not any better besides the screen

October 8th, 349.99$ (us)

Quotes

My thoughts

The double storage is fine, but not a make or break, I would’ve preferred a 128gb model, but what can you do

new screen: cool, still probably 720p though, but it’s bigger.

Lan port: nice, Nintendo, welcome to 2006, your first consoleto have a lab port!

Stand: that’s cool. It current stand is bad at best

Better audio: I don’t know, this will need a hands on

over all, it’s cool, but missing some stuff you would’ve liked, like 4K with dlss 2.0 that was rumored, or more storage, or better joycons (maybe they fixed drift tho?)

Sources

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/oled-model/

sauwwy

also, how to embed video like that? My link looks plain

8 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

@HelpfulTechWizard

@WolframaticAlpha   

4.5-9 hours??? what kind of range is that?

Games like BotW and the witcher 3 and new doom ports will consume more battery than say tetris or old doom or youtube.

4 minutes ago, Freakwise said:

that battery tho...

id expected something bigger for the device with that size

Ikr, it is the same as the previous switch

I am really concerned about the OLED. OLED doesn't really work under sunlight, unless you have a good panel with high brightness. And I don't trust nintendo with its screens

Gotta say I'm glad the Switch Pro rumors ended up being BS (lol Bloomberg), as I'd hate to see my first gen Switch become a scrub version of the system. I'd rather see a new generation Nintendo hybrid in a couple of years, as we're already deep into the fifth year of this console being out. Though hopefully Nintendo's next gen portable will have BC.

Just now, strajk- said:

In terms of IPC, the GPU inside the WiiU is 4 times more powerful than the one in the 2017 Switch, no, it's not more powerful, the CPU and RAM are superior, but in terms of raw performance to push as many frames as possible it's worse.

But ipc isn’t everything…. Code optimization is a big thing, which I’d bet the switch devs are putting more work into than the wiiu’s devs, as a shit load more people have a switch than a wiiu.

Plus the switch has about 50% higher clocks than the wiiu, at 768mhz instead of 550mhz, plus, I’m not sure buy the wiiu having 4x the ipc.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Kinda enjoying seeing all these PC Gamers unable to figure out why a console, that reliably sells multiple millions of units every month to the point where in early 2021 they had to increase projections on how many units they would sell, 4 years into it's life cycle, is not having a complete overhaul. 🙂

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

sauwwy

You paste it and the forum will auto embed.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

But ipc isn’t everything…. Code optimization is a big thing, which I’d bet the switch devs are putting more work into than the wiiu’s devs, as a shit load more people have a switch than a wiiu.

Plus the switch has about 50% higher clocks than the wiiu, at 768mhz instead of 550mhz, plus, I’m not sure buy the wiiu having 4x the ipc.

Read my post again, I never compared the platform, I compared the specs.

The WiiU was hot garbage to develop for since it was running on a platform nobody wanted to develop on, it was far from developer friendly as well...

In terms of RAW Performance, put the WiiU Specs inside a Switch, you will have more frames at a higher res, it's not really a hot take...

4 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

copy paste it manually and wait for a couple of second

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Gotta say I'm glad the Switch Pro rumors ended up being BS (lol Bloomberg), as I'd hate to see my first gen Switch become a scrub version of the system. I'd rather see a new generation Nintendo hybrid in a couple of years, as we're already deep into the fifth year of this console being out. Though hopefully Nintendo's next gen portable will have BC.

I’m actually kinda pissed at Nintendo for this. All the other consoles new reversions had increased preformance (Xbox one x, ps4 pro) and they sold like hot cakes, but it didn’t make the origonals obsolete, if Nintendo did have higher preformance for 100-200$ more like don’t and ms it would make sense

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

And I don't trust nintendo with its screens

It’s not like they make them, isn’t it a samgaung panel acording to the leaks?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Read my post again, I never compared the platform, I compared the specs.

The WiiU was hot garbage to develop for since it was running on a platform nobody wanted to develop on, it was far from developer friendly as well...

In terms of RAW Performance, put the WiiU Specs inside a Switch, you will have more frames at a higher res, it's not really a hot take...

And so did I, go read my post again. I pointed out the much higher gpu clock speed for the switch, plus pointed out I doubt the ipc, untill I can get evidence that it is 4 times better

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That's it?

Becuase in the article they say 

Which leads me to believe they've upgraded the "CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor". Disappointing if they attribute extra power to an OLED screen. Also the fact that it cant output 4K when docked is a very large bummer.

Whoever wrote the article is an idiot then. It's literally exactly the same hardware. No upgrade to the internals at all, save for more storage. Still 720p undocked and 1080p docked, so no change.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It’s not like they make them, isn’t it a samgaung panel acording to the leaks?

yeah, but nintendo puts the cheapest panel that will not be bad for its devices. 150 dollar phones have better screens than the switch

3 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Not necessarily, an OLED does tend to have less power draw than an LCD, won't know until the model number of the screen itself is known to actually compare it in an apples to apples scenario though.

Again, that's debatable as in a near-apple to apple comparison, it's all down to how much white/brighter colours are being displayed. 

csm_PowerConsumption_557e3152b5.png

(Source: Notebookcheck)

Note quite apples-to-apples (doesn't help how it's from 2016) but it still does show the strength/weaknesses of IPS and OLED when compared to each other. With these two specific displays, the OLED only matches IPS is power consumption when at 45%-ish white, which at least for a laptop means you're actually consuming more power a decent amount of time (unless you can force dark mode/themes onto most things) so unfortunately, IMO, the power consumption argument doesn't really hold a lot of the time. 

Of course, it's nice to have things like always on displays but in terms of screen on usage, it could almost be said that IPS is the safer choice over OLED. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, WolframaticAlpha said:

Will they fix the joycon drift?

Doubt.
It seems to be a problem with the componets used to make the joystick in the jouconns, and affects all of the new controlers, as they all use it, from the same manufacturer, but Nintendo's seem the fail the most.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

yeah, but nintendo puts the cheapest panel that will not be bad for its devices. 150 dollar phones have better screens than the switch

209ppi now with 7" screen. Pitiful. Even an Amazon Fire HD has better pixel density.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

And my shitty Lumia Icon has a better screen than my iPhone, it doesn't mean it's going to be that way.

Plus 150$ phones don't have Mario.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

209ppi now with 7" screen. Pitiful. Even an Amazon Fire HD has better pixel density.

There's a lot of fire had models.......
Like at least 4 a year, hd8, hd10, hd8 plus, hd 10 plus.
The 10 had a 10.1in screen with 1920x1080, for 224ppi, marginally better at best.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

And my shitty Lumia Icon has a better screen than my iPhone, it doesn't mean it's going to be that way.

Plus 150$ phones don't have Mario.

Super Mario Run – Apps on Google Play

150 dollar phones do a lot more. Nintendo can afford to take a loss on a console. Phone makers can't.

15 minutes ago, strajk- said:

In terms of IPC, the GPU inside the WiiU is 4 times more powerful than the one in the 2017 Switch, no, it's not more powerful, the CPU and RAM are superior, but in terms of raw performance to push as many frames as possible it's worse.

You got a source for that?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Super Mario Run – Apps on Google Play

150 dollar phones do a lot more. Nintendo can afford to take a loss on a console. Phone makers can't.

And Mario run counted as a real Mario game now? I'd love to see you try to run Bowser's fury, which barely runs on the switch at times, on a 150$ phone

If a switch emu can ever run on a 150$ phone before 2030, ill be surprised.

the switch is more powerful than a 150$ phone, it probably will stay like that for a bit, as the switch has real cooking’s

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Honestly, I don't really consider the screen an improvement, unless it's magic. OLEDs still wear out really fast compared to LCD right? Sure, it'll look nicer, but what will it look like in 5 years? 10 years? And were people really asking for a bigger screen on a handheld?

Double the internal storage is whatever because I can just stick a 512GB SD card in there. LAN port on the dock is nice but not a selling point, even for me.

New kickstand is nice. Better audio is nice, but... if I want good audio I'll use headphones/IEMs.

I mean, this is what Nintendo does, they don't push performance, they focus on unique features. I just thought that since the Switch is the first Nintendo portable to really mix game libraries with the rest of the industry they'd bump performance a bit, things like Doom and A Hat In Time kind'a make it chug.

I don't really see a reason to wait for it.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Also featureset. The wii u's gpu was based on the hd 5700 series. Whilst the switch is based around a gtx 900 series design. There are a fair few comparisons between these generations of cards and even extrapolating performance you can sometimes see logical % scaling but also massive leaps between a gtx 950 and hd 5870 where it can easily be over 100% faster whilst in older games it is at best 60% better (older games at the time of the 900 series release).