New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha

Summary

Nintendo has just announced the new Nintendo switch model, slated for release on October 8 2021(alongside metroid dread). This model will be called the Nintendo Switch OLED

Features:

• 7 inch 720p OLED screen
  • Wired ethernet dock
  • Thinner bezels
  • Can output 1080p as max res and 60fps as max framerate
  • 64 GB storage(up from 32 Gigs)
  • Compatible with 5.1ch Linear PCM output Output via HDMI connector in TV mode
  • Better 'audio'
  • 4.5 - 9 hour battery (4310 mah)
  • Slightly heavier(0.1 lbs more)
  • New color: White dock+White joycon(old black-blue-red config still remains)

The new Nintendo Switch (OLED model) system and dock with white Joy-Cons

Price: 349 USD

Quotes

Nintendo will release a new version of the Nintendo Switch this October, the company announced Tuesday. The new Nintendo Switch, officially named “Nintendo Switch (OLED model),” will cost $349.99, $50 more than the price of the original Switch that launched in 2017.

The new Switch will also offer an adjustable stand that is as long as the unit itself, a dock that includes a wired Ethernet port, 64 GB of internal storage, and “enhanced audio” from the system’s internal speakers. Nintendo says that existing Joy-Cons will be compatible with the OLED model, and that the new Switch will be compatible with the full library of already-released Nintendo Switch games.

Nintendo’s Switch has sold incredibly well, with the console dominating US sales charts for nearly two years straight. Switch lifetime sales are at 84.59 million units shipped since its launch in 2017, a figure that is getting closer to the Wii console’s 101.63 million lifetime sales mark. This updated Switch model is bound to only help push sales even closer to the Wii

Spec sheet on Polygon

image.png.8cab37e6fd4483709f161d063eacfb80.png

Adjustable Stand(nintendo.com):

image.png.72b5ff942c73cf932a2bf91c45d4d9f9.png

My thoughts

And the crowd goes mild!

Not terribly exciting, I expected more for 349 dollars. Most notable addition is the OLED, but iirc OLED isn't really good in bright conditions.

Details are sparse. I expect that they updated the CPU+GPU(NVIDIA is discontinuing that chip this year)

DLSS would've made it from meh to must buy.

Better perf was needed. Games are pushing 480p and calling it a day. This needed to be faster. I mean 1080p 30 isn't that hard, is it?

@CerealExperimentsLain's comment sums it up. It is a PSP 2000-> PSP3000

You can get a series S with 5 months of gamepass for the same price.

Sources

New Nintendo Switch model with 7-inch OLED screen announced, coming Oct. 8 - Polygon

Nintendo Switch OLED model will go on sale October 8th for $350 - The Verge

Nintendo Switch OLED model - Nintendo - Official Site

Summary

Nintendo dropped the next revision of the switch today, the long awaited Switch Pro.

But wait, it’s not any better besides the screen

October 8th, 349.99$ (us)

Quotes

Meet the newest member of the Nintendo Switch family

The new system features a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, a dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio.

My thoughts

The double storage is fine, but not a make or break, I would’ve preferred a 128gb model, but what can you do

new screen: cool, still probably 720p though, but it’s bigger.

Lan port: nice, Nintendo, welcome to 2006, your first consoleto have a lab port!

Stand: that’s cool. It current stand is bad at best

Better audio: I don’t know, this will need a hands on

over all, it’s cool, but missing some stuff you would’ve liked, like 4K with dlss 2.0 that was rumored, or more storage, or better joycons (maybe they fixed drift tho?)

Sources

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/oled-model/

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Damn. You beat me by 3 minutes!

btw you missed the better stand

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

im not really up on the nintendo offering these days..... whats even the difference, looks the same to me?

the screen really wasnt that bad on the original switch imo, so i dont see why it would need an upgrade

(at least they shrunk those big ass bezels)

Just now, SADS said:

im not really up on the nintendo offering these days..... whats even the difference, looks the same to me?

It's got a bigger, nicer screen and a few minor technical improvements.  It's a handheld, they usually only get incremental improvements.  PSP-2000 vs PSP-3000?  Nicer screen, that's all.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

My thoughts

exciting

Don't be.

They just reached the bare minimum point that they should had released originally back in 2017.

Wasn't even necessary to release it as a new more expensive model to begin with, they could had just pushed it as a v2 in the supply chain as a silent update while releasing an actual upgrade in overall specs, its been 4 freaking years and all we get is literally we should had gotten from the start!

It's great that they addressed the issues and upgraded it, but they don't deserve my praise or any excitement from my part for fixing what shouldn't had been an issue to begin with.

The Switch is what the WiiU wanted to become, thing is the Switch is less powerful than a WiiU.

1 minute ago, SADS said:

Bigger, oled screen, lab port on the dock, double the storage, much better stand, the old one was flimsy, and one position

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Bigger, oled screen, lab port on the dock, double the storage, much better stand, the old one was flimsy, and one position

That's it?

Becuase in the article they say 

More powerful Switch

Which leads me to believe they've upgraded the "CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor". Disappointing if they attribute extra power to an OLED screen. Also the fact that it cant output 4K when docked is a very large bummer.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Don't be.

They just reached the bare minimum point that they should had released originally back in 2017.

Wasn't even necessary to release it as a new more expensive model to begin with, they could had just pushed it as a v2 in the supply chain as a silent update while releasing an actual upgrade in overall specs, its been 4 freaking years and all we get is literally we should had gotten from the start!

It's great that they addressed the issues and upgraded it, but they don't deserve my praise or any excitement from my part for fixing what shouldn't had been an issue to begin with.

The Switch is what the WiiU wanted to become, thing is the Switch is less powerful than a WiiU.

I am a stupid nintendo fanboy, but wouldn't upgrade my switch.

7 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

the screen really wasnt that bad on the original switch imo, so i dont see why it would need an upgrade

It’s bigger, and oled. It’s going to be a much better screen, even if the old one was fine.

just because it’s good doesn’t mean that it Doesn’t have to be better..

its worth a upgrade in all the other things, though, like the new stand, double storage, better audio (maybe?), lab port, but is missing some things I expected, like better joycons.

but for 50$ more it’s a pretty compelling offer over a red box switch if your buying a switch for the first time.

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That's it?

Becuase in the article they say 

Which leads me to believe they've upgraded the "CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor". Disappointing if they attribute extra power to an OLED screen. Also the fact that it cant output 4K when docked is a very large bummer.

I was just going off what was in the launch video/the page on Nintendo.com that says nothing about better performance.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

It’s bigger, and oled. It’s going to be a much better screen, even if the old one was fine.

just because it’s good doesn’t mean that it Doesn’t have to be better..

its worth a upgrade in all the other things, though, like the new stand, double storage, better audio (maybe?), lab port, but is missing some things I expected, like better joycons.

but for 50$ more it’s a pretty compelling offer over a red box switch if your buying a switch for the first time.

okay i guess thats a fair point (although i think we can expect worse battery life because of the bigger display, we'll see from the display specs)

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Damn. You beat me by 3 minutes!

btw you missed the better stand

fixed it.

Thanks for the clarifications.... I guess im not that excited XD

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Considering that back in 2017 the PS4 Pro represented over 20% of the total PS4 marketshare proves you otherwise, there is a market for it.

3 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I'm coming from the standpoint of I dont have one, so I want to know which to buy because I was assuming the new one would be actually better, not just a better screen. To someone's earlier point, I guess it would be similar tp PSP revisions

1 minute ago, strajk- said:

Considering that back in 2017 the PS4 Pro represented over 20% of the total PS4 marketshare proves you otherwise, there is a market for it.

I was one of those people, in 2018 actually 😬

Media] Screencap of Kingdom Hearts 3 Limited Edition PS4 Pro from Sony E3  Conference: KingdomHearts

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

okay i guess thats a fair point (although i think we can expect worse battery life because of the bigger display, we'll see from the display specs)

The batter life is already stated acording to @WolframaticAlpha’s post at 4.5-9hr,  about the Redbox switch’s iirc.

9 minutes ago, strajk- said:

What? I’m pretty sure the switch is more powerful, just as powerful at worse.

the cpu will anhialate the Wiiu’s, the gpu seems to be more of about the same preformance, the switch has 2x the ram, ddr3 vs lpddr4

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

The fact that it's still 720p is a huge dissapointment imo

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

6 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

Not necessarily, an OLED does tend to have less power draw than an LCD, won't know until the model number of the screen itself is known to actually compare it in an apples to apples scenario though.

If I didn't already have a Switch I would absolutely pay $50 more for the OLED screen. It's a no-brainer. The IPS screen in even the first gen Switch is really nice but a 7 inch screen is 27% bigger than a 6.2 inch and man, OLED is beautiful on a handheld. Colorful games like Muramasa Rebirth really look spectacular on my OLED Vita, would imagine BOTW would really be something on this OLED.

The batter life is already stated acording to @WolframaticAlpha’s post at 4.5-9hr,  about the Redbox switch’s iirc.

What? I’m pretty sure the switch is more powerful, just as powerful at worse.

the cpu will anhialate the Wiiu’s, the gpu seems to be more of about the same preformance, the switch has 2x the ram, ddr3 vs lpddr4

In terms of IPC, the GPU inside the WiiU is 4 times more powerful than the one in the 2017 Switch, no, it's not more powerful, the CPU and RAM are superior, but in terms of raw performance to push as many frames as possible it's worse.