New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha
2 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's funny: people will gripe that there's no new chip, it's still 720p, the Joy-Cons haven't changed... but it's virtually guaranteed to sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

Enthusiasts forget that everyday people don't fuss over the specs nearly as much. They care about the games and the experience. It'll look better and function better... if you don't already have a Switch, it'll be a great system.

To me, the way I read the article there could be a new chip, but there also could not be. It is just not explicitly stated.

I think the switch could have done with an upgraded chip from what I hear (dont have one myself). Some games have lousy framerates in some areas, etc.

But I think Nintendo doesn't want to fragment the playerbase between more and less powerful hardware. This is a stopgap improvement until they come out with a real Switch 2.

7 minutes ago, maartendc said:

To me, the way I read the article there could be a new chip, but there also could not be. It is just not explicitly stated.

I think the switch could have done with an upgraded chip from what I hear (dont have one myself). Some games have lousy framerates in some areas, etc.

But I think Nintendo doesn't want to fragment the playerbase between more and less powerful hardware. This is a stopgap improvement until they come out with a real Switch 2.

Nintendo has said it's the same chip and other performance specs, so don't expect surprises.

It might be a combination of wanting to avoid fragmentation with chip shortages and other issues. The last thing Nintendo needs is to have trouble selling its most important hardware.

I know this isn't as impressive as we all hoped it would be... but for some who hasn't gotten a switch yet (i.e. me) it looks worth buying. Plus, with this not being a new generation like the PS5 was, i might be able to GET the darn thing before scalpers eat up the supply. 

Does anybody know where to find preorders?

1 hour ago, GreatnessRD said:

Sounds like Nintendo could've kept this in the cupboard.

Why? You're getting a bigger screen and it's OLED and only costs $50 more. If I didn't already have a Switch I would pay the $50 extra for this better version.

8 minutes ago, Purpleswans said:

I know this isn't as impressive as we all hoped it would be... but for some who hasn't gotten a switch yet (i.e. me) it looks worth buying. Plus, with this not being a new generation like the PS5 was, i might be able to GET the darn thing before scalpers eat up the supply. 

With that avatar I wonder, do you have an OLED Vita? Because that screen is really nice but this Switch OLED is going to blow that away at nearly twice the size.

7 minutes ago, Purpleswans said:

Should be at your local retailer. But I remember when the Wii was hugely popular, it was sold out everywhere. But a place that no one looked was at the pharmacy which surprisingly did, and at MSRP! Not sure in your region, but going at the most unexpected area might be beneficial, especially if they don't have an online store.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Why? You're getting a bigger screen and it's OLED and only costs $50 more. If I didn't already have a Switch I would pay the $50 extra for this better version.

Don't forget Ethernet, which if you plan to play on your TV probably would be buying. And more storage. Passing from day 1 purchase for an microSD card to now you are good for little while if you plan to finish games before buying others, and not day 1 shopping spree and download everything at the same time.

6 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

You can get a series S with 5 months of gamepass for the same price

But with the wrong games…

Nintendo has a lot of really cool exclusive (more or less) games going for them, xbox not so much at least what they have is totally different and doesnt interest me at all.

BTW I would have bought a 4K Switch asap, but this really doesnt seem to be much of an upgrade, gonna stick to PC then… 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

34 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

With that avatar I wonder, do you have an OLED Vita? Because that screen is really nice but this Switch OLED is going to blow that away at nearly twice the size.

No, I got into gaming relatively late in life, and didn't want to waste money on platforms that weren't that popular. 

I started playing persona 4 golden for the first time on the Steam port last year. Otherwise I'd be still crossing my fingers for Playstation backwards-combatibility or HD remakes.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But with the wrong games…

That's obviously highly subjective. GamePass has a ridiculous amount of very good games on it.

Nintendo has a lot of really cool exclusive (more or less) games going for them, xbox not so much at least what they have is totally different and doesnt interest me at all.

That's cool. Different people are interested in different games and genres.

BTW I would have bought a 4K Switch asap, but this really doesnt seem to be much of an upgrade, gonna stick to PC then… 

It's not really an upgrade from the Standard Switch. More like a mid-cycle refresh. This is going to be marketed towards new Switch users, not existing switch users upgrading.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

No Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)?? Such a missed opportunity 😕 

Let's start with Bluetooth headphone/headset support, instead of a feature that very few can take advantage of.

But to answer you, it comes down to cost. Nintendo likes to make money on its consoles. Typically, not huge, but everything is looked at.

It does have wireless AC (5) so it's not like they bought garbage bin parts, but they tend to avoid the latest and greatest tech.

I just realized! The Switch dock has more notable rounded corner... as if would subconsciously prepare people to Windows 11.... mixed with the Surface Pro kickstand... Microsoft has infiltrated Nintendo !!! Think I am crazy?! Why is there Microsoft published games on the system! Hunh! Hunh! Hunh!!!! You have nothing to say!!! My arguments are flawless! (Like me! GoodBytes! The pinnacle of perfection! Of course...)

They'll buy them! It's all over sheeple! It will be like Nokia all over again!

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Let's start with Bluetooth headphone/headset support, instead of a feature that very few has.

I mean, 12.0.0 makes that theoretically possible, and now homebrew can do it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I just realized! The Switch dock has more notable rounded corner... as if would subconsciously prepare people to Windows 11.... mixed with the Surface Pro Kickstand...

Microsoft is buying Nintendo!

No, Microsoft has really been behind nintendo the whole time

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It comes down to cost. Nintendo likes to make money on its consoles. Typically, not huge, but everything is looked at.

It does have wireless AC (5) so it's not like they bought garbage bin parts, but they tend to avoid the latest and greatest tech.

Gaming is not about throughput, but latency; specifically if you can mitigate against packet loss. AX (6) goes a long way to solving that assuming someone has an AX router...

🤔 Antennas don't change. If Nintendo was smart, they would have designed the console to accept an M.2-like module that slides in like an SD card. No latching, no fumbling with antenna cables; just edge contacts like a cartridge. No doubt Nintendo would mark them up, but they would sell.

Too late now...

17 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Gaming is not about throughout, but latency; specifically if you can mitigate against packet loss. AX (6) goes a long way to solving that assuming someone has an AX router...

🤔 Antennas don't change. If Nintendo was smart, they would have designed the console to accept an M.2-like module that slides in like an SD card. No latching, no fumbling with antenna cables; just edge contacts like a cartridge. No doubt Nintendo would mark them up, but they would sell.

Too late now...

Sure, but, in the end: all of this, costs more money.

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't know, just feels like this could've been added to a newer version like the Switch 2 or something. It's exactly the same outside of bigger HDD and an OLED. I guess its cool for those who don't currently own a Switch, but seems a waste of money for those who already have one as you pointed out. Which is why I don't understand this model. Just seems useless, I don't know.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

For those of you who are too young to remember what storage progression over the last 20-30 years felt like, don't worry. Nintendo is reliving the experience. By 2040 Nintendo MIGHT finally learn what a terabyte is.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

1 minute ago, BigDamn said:

For those of you who are too young to remember what storage progression over the last 20-30 years felt like, don't worry. Nintendo is reliving the experience. By 2040 Nintendo MIGHT finally learn what a terabyte is.

New Nintendo 3DS XL (2015):

1GB onboard storage, 256MB of RAM

Nintendo Switch (2017):

32GB onboard storage, 4GB of RAM

New Nintendo Switch Pro XL+ (2040):
512GB onboard storage, 32GB of RAM

Newer Nintendo Switch U 3D Pro XXL+++++++ (2050):

1TB onboard storage, 64GB of RAM

elephants

disappointing that there is no performance boost. 

not really sure if it's worth it if i trade in my current switch for the new one for a slightly better screen since i mostly play it docked anyway.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Sure, but, in the end: all of this, costs more money.

I'm willing to bet that at least 65% of console gamers don't even know how to activate 'Game Mode' on their TV, or what it even is, or why they'd want it, and blissfully play their PlayStation or Xbox games at like 80+ms input delay while still having fun.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Screen, stand, audio, and LAN ports all should have been standard on the original Switch, and the battery is still a joke for a console this size. This is a dumb product with Nintendoisms baked in.

Bet they haven't fixed the joycons either.

It's going to sell well because consumers are willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for half done 'improvements' because 'it's fun'. Gotta love playing Pokemon and having the console dropping frames, let alone any other modern game that gets unfortunately ported to the Switch.

Shoulda been DOA, buy new SoC pls.

9 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Actually, we wernt thinking of a currently public tegra at all. a cutsom unanounced one was the idea.

plus it was 4k with dlss, real res 1080p

The Tegra you're thinking of isn't gonna be ready until 2023 at the earliest.

Perhaps we should expect a new Nintendo console around then? Can't say for sure, as I know about as much as Nintendo "insiders" on Twitter and Resertera do (nothing).

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

It might be a combination of wanting to avoid fragmentation with chip shortages and other issues. The last thing Nintendo needs is to have trouble selling its most important hardware.

Might also have something to do with the entire library being compiled specifically for their customized Tegra X1, in particular pre-compiled shaders being X1-specific. Nintendo can't just simply replace the SoC without risking breaking the entire Switch library.

Yay...the same amount of storage found in my 8 year old tablet. Instead of the same amount found on my 9 year old tablet. Still eMMC as well. Even though the X1 supports SATA. The same as even the Tegra 3.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

It's not really an upgrade from the Standard Switch. More like a mid-cycle refresh. This is going to be marketed towards new Switch users, not existing switch users upgrading.

It is more of a half step of a mid cycle refresh. The switch genuinely needs a perf uplift, and we got a better screen(that may make it unusable in direct sunlighet[even though you never use a switch outside that much])

Had it come out 2 years earlier I probably would have picked in an heartbeat (finally those damn bezels are almost gone)

But looking at the gaming scene now, I would have used for maybe 2 months and let it collect dust from then to this day.

Gaming has become a hot pile of garbage to me. And seeing the last E3, it will remain so for another year (won't be surprised if it does for next and the one after that).

Looking back at the games released for the switch so far, only one has enticed me,  Diablo3, but is one game on a span of 4 years worth the price of a console?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>