New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha

Y'all were expecting Dlss and 4k gaming on any tegra based processor??? Y'all out your damn minds. Christ. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

Y'all were expecting Dlss and 4k on any tegra based processor??? Y'all out your damn minds. Christ. 

Actually, we wernt thinking of a currently public tegra at all. a cutsom unanounced one was the idea.

plus it was 4k with dlss, real res 1080p

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Y'all were expecting Dlss and 4k gaming on any tegra based processor??? Y'all out your damn minds. Christ. 

I hope we get it on a 5nm next gen Switch successor in 2-3 years though.

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Actually, we wernt thinking of a currently public tegra at all. a cutsom unanounced one was the idea.

plus it was 4k with dlss, real res 1080p

Ain't no tegra core, unannounced or not, that's gonna give you 4k Dlss. It's a mobile low power apu series chip. Stupid to think otherwise.

Best anyone will get is a new dock with an external dgpu via USBC. Even that's unlikely. 

17 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

No one expects PS5 level graphics out of Switch or its successor, given that it's likely to also be a hybrid and thus can't consume 300W like a PS5. But I still want more ambitious games to be put out. Games like BOTW, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 push the system as far as it can go and then Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity and even Link's Awakening have proved too much for the Switch. I was so stoked on Age of Calamity from the previews until I saw the game runs sub 20 fps often. Now I have to wait for either a successor that can run Switch games better in BC just like PS5 does for PS4 games or wait for Switch emulation to be significantly better than original hardware (like it is for Wii U right now nine years after the Wii U's release).

The Switch sells millions of units per month.  They clearly have no need to appeal to people like you.  They appeal to enough people that the Switch is a money factory.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Ain't no tegra core, unannounced or not, that's gonna give you 4k Dlss. It's a mobile low power apu series chip. Stupid to think otherwise.

Best anyone will get is a new dock with an external dgpu via USBC. Even that's unlikely. 

actually all it would need is tensor plus a slightly newer core. it can already do 1080p

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

The Switch sells millions of units per month.  They clearly have no need to appeal to people like you.  They appeal to enough people that the Switch is a money factory.

Huh? The Switch was a success mostly because of how ambitious BOTW was.

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

actually all it would need is tensor plus a slightly newer core. it can already do 1080p

A slightly newer core? Even the tegra x3 wouldn't be able to do Dlss. Switch runs on the old tegra x1. 

And the architecture can't just get tensor cores slapped on it. Not how architectures works. 

And you can't just give the switch a new architecture all together. As at that point it's a new system, not an upgraded model.

And again it's a very low power apu. It's not going to do Dlss ever. The power and heat output just literally can't do it. 

2 hours ago, strajk- said:

The WiiU had a 40nm TerraScale 1 chip, that being the RV740:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/ati-rv740.g95

The 2017 Switch has a custom Tegra X1 chip:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gm20b.g819

In terms of RAW Output the RV740 wins out, obviously the Tegra Chip will win in terms of features, power consumption and so on.

As a person with both consoles, I can assure you the WiiU GPU is significantly slower than the Switch.

Heck, even ported games which feature no rework to its engine runs better on the Switch than the WiiU. And it's not because of superior CPU or memory speed. The game slow down on the WiiU were specifically due to the GPU. These are solved on the Switch.

You are looking at the wrong GPU on the WiiU. Might as well get a Radeon 6800 at this point.

A slightly newer core? Even the tegra x3 wouldn't be able to do Dlss. Switch runs on the old tegra x1. 

ik, thats what i meant, put a x1 sucessor in there. They could probably add tensor chip

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

ik, thats what i meant, put a x1 sucessor in there. They could probably add tensor chip

Alright. Well this arguments over with as it won't go anywhere. 

You don't have enough understanding of architectures of cpu/gpu/apu design if you believe that they can take the tegra chil and just add tensor cores.

And you don't want to be educated about how that's not possible either. 

I.E. waste of time to go further with this. 

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

You don't have enough understanding of architectures of cpu/gpu/apu design if you believe that they can take the tegra chil and just add tensor cores.

Just wait until they find out that the Gameboy was also underpowered and had a vastly inferior screen, but won out over it's technically superior competitors with game quality and battery life. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

2. They should have called it the New Nintendo Switch OLED.

And the next one will be New Super Nintendo Switch OLED U

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

I'm disappointed. I sold my switch last year in anticipation to a Switch "pro". 

Honestly, this is what the "RedBox" switch should've been instead of just featuring the smaller process node SOC and better battery life. The Switch's "stand" for table top play was a real joke and this wide stand is much better IMO.

The Microtendo Surface Switch for the win!

Still hoping for a Switch 2 next year with the rumored 4k gaming experience while docked, because the dock has extra hardware in it.

I have a feeling that they probably planned for a Switch with higher SoC, but probably due to the chip shortage market, and the fact that sooo many people just bought the Switch, they decided to pull back on the SoC, and just keep the old one. 720p display would been the same.

I see Nintendo not making a Pro version and keep it for the Switch 2. Some people suggest that they'll release it with the BoTW 2, I HIGHLY doubt it. It doesn't make sense to me. I mean if that would be the case, then the Switch 2 would have what? An even more powerful SoC? Sure... but 300-350$ is Nintendo target price. I don't see how they could achieve this by then. The Switch 2 would only be marginally faster than the 1 (if the 1 had that better SoC). Unless Nintendo is somehow crack the code for negotiating with Nvidia in making their SoC inexpensive.

Please, enlighten me.

Im by far a silicon enginer, and far from a game engine programer, ut theres one thing i know.

You have really talented engineers at nvidia. You add a second die for only tensor, maybe pcie, i dont know its internal io works. It would get ignored by a game it its not speciffically designed for dlss, as it wouldnt know how to interface with it.

But, you have a game with a patch for it, it knows that chips there, it uses it.

You said yourself, the best chance is for a usbc gpu dock (which thats laughable, by the way, i wouldnt see sony or ms doing that, much less nintnendo), but it could actually be treated the same way, but just the tesnor core part is seperate. Maybe, even the tensot part is part of the dock, so the switch doesnt do any of the upscaling, thats just the dock doing it

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I see Nintendo not making a Pro version, and keep it for the Switch 2.

I'm kinda hoping they bring back the 3D thing from the 3DS series back. It's really cool, though it does eat batteries like nothing else.

Compatibility could be done two ways:

1. Do what they did with DS and 3DS games. Give the new 3D-capable Switch carts a notch on the side, but allow older 2D Switch carts to be put in. The new 3DSwitch carts won't be able to go in an older, 3D-less switch.

2. 3D-able games will still work on the old Switch, but they won't have the 3D ability. The carts themselves will remain the same but with the 3D data added.

elephants

3 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I'm kinda hoping they bring back the 3D thing from the 3DS series back. It's really cool, though it does eat batteries like nothing else.

Compatibility could be done two ways:

1. Do what they did with DS and 3DS games. Give the new 3D-capable Switch carts a notch on the side, but allow older 2D Switch carts to be put in. The new 3DSwitch carts won't be able to go in an older, 3D-less switch.

2. 3D-able games will still work on the old Switch, but they won't have the 3D ability. The carts themselves will remain the same but with the 3D data added.

Hmm.. I would agree with you, however Nintendo is best seen as a toy company. And toy companies tend to follow a "been there, done that" rule. Maybe if the technology moves hugely forward (and is inexpensive), then perhaps Nintendo might revisit the idea, but until then, I don't see Nintendo bringing back old experiences.

from a marketing pov this is terrible naming. does anyone expect that the average 8 year old would know what OLED meant or their parents. OLED to most people wouldn't make a difference. Adding 'plus' or 'pro' would make this probably get more sales just because the name makes it seem a lot better

9 minutes ago, VixAAT said:

from a marketing pov this is terrible naming. does anyone expect that the average 8 year old would know what OLED meant or their parents. OLED to most people wouldn't make a difference. Adding 'plus' or 'pro' would make this probably get more sales just because the name makes it seem a lot better

Agreed, a "new nintendo switch oled" would even be better

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Honestly feels super disappointing. The question is who'll actually upgrade to this thing. I was hoping we'd get a more powerful revision that would get titles the old Switch couldn't handle, or at least a screen that is significantly bigger. Also makes me question how long older revisions will stay supported, since the new model probably will need different joycons

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

Just now, The Blue Cryptid said:

Honestly feels super disappointing. The question is who'll actually upgrade to this thing. I was hoping we'd get a more powerful revision that would get titles the old Switch couldn't handle, or at least a screen that is significantly bigger. Also makes me question how long older revisions will stay supported, since the new model probably will need different joycons

nope, its the same size it looks.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

meh should have replaced the OG at 300$ and moved the OG to 250
then you got a stack of lite 200, OG 250, OLED 300$

nice to see large and better screen along with more storage space, and a lan port wow

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, The Blue Cryptid said:

The question is who'll actually upgrade to this thing. 

1. People who want an OLED screen.
2. People who don't have a Switch (it still needs to double its sales to reach PS2 levels, which we could assume is the size of the addressable market).