New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha
28 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

oh well, if only the other handhelds that tries to combat the switch could get something to stand on.

Would valve/steam be able to do something? (rumor of handheld) Although they seem focused on linux and their projects like proton?

Honestly, I don't see them making anything more different than GPD type systems. The biggest problem is x86 CPUs that we have.

Valve can't put ARM based CPU as all the games won't work... the only option is Windows 10/11 ARM64, to get x86-64 translation... but, that has a cost, and for the price point, battery life and performance, I don't see that being possible. It sure isn't with Surface Pro X... beside 2D and simple 3D graphics based games.

They'll obviously go with Linux distro, to make a custom and controlled experience as they can customize the whole OS if they want to. Also, it would allow them to lock things down completely to force the Steam Store. If they go with Windows, while technically possible to customize, it would be extremely easy to access the entire system. They'll also save $50, and permit to continue to promote its own Proton project.

I honestly, don't see them being able to compete. The Switch success is the perfect balance of just enough performance to have modern games runs on it with a decent to very good experience (especially if the game was designed for the system), at an excellent price point. It's not $800, its between $200-350 depending on the model you pick (Lite, regular, or OLED). At $200, it is realllly hard to beat. Even an Android tablet at that price point doesn't even come close (horrible screen, bad performance, terrible sound.. probably mono speaker too, especially the $200 ones), and that device doesn't have controllers.

Of course, the Valve portable unit will sale, but I don't think it really sale well.

39 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Honestly, I don't see them making anything more different than GPD type systems. The biggest problem is x86 CPUs that we have.

Valve can't put ARM based CPU as all the games won't work... the only option is Windows 10/11 ARM64, to get x86-64 translation... but, that has a cost, and for the price point, battery life and performance, I don't see that being possible. It sure isn't with Surface Pro X... beside 2D and simple 3D graphics based games.

android upscaled, jk. 10 android phone cpu's into one system and nukes the planet.

I honestly, don't see them being able to compete. The Switch success is the perfect balance of just enough performance to have modern games runs on it with a decent to very good experience (especially if the game was designed for the system),

Wouldn't say as to compete, but if they were to open up the market more, and if it could help the smaller developing handhelds in some way or maybe in the future. But like you said else where, it might be too focused on forcing most through steam. and then to battery life and weight balance *gets the M1... M2 chip and runs off*

Of course, the Valve portable unit will sale, but I don't think it really sale well.

Agree, while there will be maybe some good features or rather big pros and cons, unlike the charm of nintendo systems "it just works" and take it with you, and your friends!