New Nintendo Switch announced!

WolframaticAlpha

I would be happy with 720p30. I really can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on mobile screens.

But the problem is that there are a handful of games that run at really really low resolutions. 480p is fine for me, when I am watching youtube on a tv. But my god, on a fast paced game, 480p30 ain't going to cut it.

As this guy shows, an overclock fixes a lot of problem. Maybe nintendo should make the cooling beefier and overclock the chip or put in a new one. Afaik the switch is using standard ARM and maxwell, so putting a slightly better chip shoudln't cause too many problems

22 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

As this guy shows, an overclock fixes a lot of problem. Maybe nintendo should make the cooling beefier and overclock the chip or put in a new one. Afaik the switch is using standard ARM and maxwell, so putting a slightly better chip shoudln't cause too many problems

I imagine they are holding off of a performance update for the switch’s actual successor. We all know what a shit show the *new* 3ds caused.

it makes the switch the only console hat doesn’t have performance differences between its variants of the same “generation”, (see series s and series x, ps4 and ps4 pro etc)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

21 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Also: Games do not have to have the largest most amazing whizzbang graphics.  Games have to be fun.  Anyone here think Raytracing is gonna 'change the game' for Pokemon or Mario or Tetris?

pokemon red with raytracing sounds like a not bad idea /s

✨FNIGE✨

16 hours ago, Purpleswans said:

No, I got into gaming relatively late in life, and didn't want to waste money on platforms that weren't that popular. 

I started playing persona 4 golden for the first time on the Steam port last year. Otherwise I'd be still crossing my fingers for Playstation backwards-combatibility or HD remakes.

Ah ok the Steam port is way better. I bought the Playstation TV and OLED Vita strictly for P4G after loving P5. Nanako is still my favorite character ever in a game. Between her and Marie, god Valentine's Day is hilarious in it.

13 hours ago, GreatnessRD said:

I don't know, just feels like this could've been added to a newer version like the Switch 2 or something. It's exactly the same outside of bigger HDD and an OLED. I guess its cool for those who don't currently own a Switch, but seems a waste of money for those who already have one as you pointed out. Which is why I don't understand this model. Just seems useless, I don't know.

It's getting late in the Switch's lifetime so they want to put out an option to nudge people who haven't bought one yet over, and I'm sure they'll get plenty of buys from people who use the Switch as their main gaming system and play a lot handheld. I won't buy one because I already really like the screen on my early gen Switch, but I think this system will sell really well.

2 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Just watched the video, he said for the swamp section, overclocking the gpu was increased it by 3 to 5 fps. Overclocking CPU didnt really do anything. Transitioning was a luck of the draw with FPS, though he did say from his experience boosting the CPU did very little

The RAM needs to be faster, which given the software he used didnt allow it, its possible that overclocking the ram isnt really gonna bring out good results. So we need better RAM, not a better chip surprisingly

✨FNIGE✨

On 7/6/2021 at 9:06 AM, duncannah said:

Could've made the screen 1080p at least. What it should've been from the start. Such a Nintendo thing to do

Doesn't 720p use less energy? I mean it is a hand held so maybe they are prioritizing battery life. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Doesn't 720p use less energy? I mean it is a hand held so maybe they are prioritizing battery life. 

Very much so. For OLEDs, it means less pixel to power, and require significantly less GPU power.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

First sane post in the face of a bunch of people arguing 'Nintendo could just overclock it!'

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 7/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, StDragon said:

Gaming is not about throughput, but latency; specifically if you can mitigate against packet loss. AX (6) goes a long way to solving that assuming someone has an AX router...

🤔 Antennas don't change. If Nintendo was smart, they would have designed the console to accept an M.2-like module that slides in like an SD card. No latching, no fumbling with antenna cables; just edge contacts like a cartridge. No doubt Nintendo would mark them up, but they would sell.

Too late now...

Tbh I have had no issues playing competitive esports games on ac wifi so idk why ax would really be required. I feel like antenna quality as been a much bigger determination of how bad my latency was over anything else. I mean I have played to diamond in overwatch with my desktop running on a pcie ac adapter.

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Tbh I have had no issues playing competitive esports games on ac wifi so idk why ax would really be required. I feel like antenna quality as been a much bigger determination of how bad my latency was over anything else. I mean I have played to diamond in overwatch with my desktop running on a pcie ac adapter.

Many people have cheap 30$ wireless routers, or uses their ISP Jack of all trade master of none combo pack value pack combined modem/router unit.

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Many people have cheap 30$ wireless routers, or uses their ISP Jack of all trade master of none combo pack value pack combined modem/router unit.

Honestly I had more of an issue with my isp router/modem combined unit overheating and simply stop working then latency issues. I guess the internet no longer working is a sorta latency issue? An infinite one. 

very meh, could be some holding back due to supply, future tech to switch already still doing decent in sales?

sadly not great for fixes, with very nintendo problems, and how much more performance could be gained with new tech.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:55 PM, GoodBytes said:

Very much so. For OLEDs, it means less pixel to power, and require significantly less GPU power.

that is a thing? maybe with lower processed images to not render black scene or shadows? but still would have render most or as normal?

as the resolution image and the processing on that image would not change? or is that it doesnt need to send all the data since its not going to be used since its oled/"pixels that are off"?

7 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

very meh, could be some holding back due to supply, future tech to switch already still doing decent in sales?

sadly not great for fixes, with very nintendo problems, and how much more performance could be gained with new tech.

that is a thing? maybe with lower processed images to not render black scene or shadows? but still would have render most or as normal?

as the resolution image and the processing on that image would not change? or is that it doesnt need to send all the data since its not going to be used since its oled/"pixels that are off"?

Higher the resolution, the more GPU power is needed. That is why it clocks higher when docked, but the game run at very close to the same experience then portable (which downclocks the SoC). This is also why you have many games on game consoles with dynamic resolution, where the resolution lowers in some ways when load it too high and frames are dropping. This is why games like Doom on the Switch for example, can get blurry real fast if you move around, but if you stop, the image quality is really impressive (for the console). Whereas you move the resolution can go down to something like 540p (I am going by memory), but when you stop its 720p or 900p (when docked).

The more pixels you have, the more the GPU needs to update more pixels per frame. If you have visuals affects happening after the rasterization pipeline stage, then that is more pixels to go through to apply the effect to. This is also why AA is so taxing, as it occurs after rasterization.

OLED can be seen as a panel of RGB lights each with their own dimmer circuit. The lower the brightness, the less power it consumes. So dark scene games will consume less power than a game where the whole screen is virtually white. This is one of the big selling points of OLED display on mobile device (which only works with dark theme, else your display is consuming just as much as LCD screen or even more).

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

OLED can be seen as a panel of RGB lights each with their own dimmer circuit. The lower the brightness, the less power it consumes. So dark scene games will consume less power than a game where the whole screen is virtually white. This is one of the big selling points of OLED display on mobile device (which only works with dark theme, else your display is consuming just as much as LCD screen or even more).

just thought you said OLED would reduce the GPU workload, my bad.

Didn't know what you meant by the previous statement.

3 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

just thought you said OLED would reduce the GPU workload, my bad.

Didn't know what you meant by the previous statement.

Oh sorry. Was referring to the screen resolution

but in short, the old switch still have "exclusive" games that makes it sort of worth while and as a handheld gaming console.

It does however still becoming outdated in specs, which means at some point there has to be an upgrade which might mean a switch 2.0 or "pro" version.

Still unlikely if nintendo is ever going to fix their own problems, like the horrible nintendo networking and controller drift.

Also the storage being a bit nonsense.

Soon 1TB cartridges becomes a thing as with the bigger but less performing games that are on the switch or trying to make the switch an option.

oh

The Xbox Series X has one big catch | Tom's Guide

On 7/7/2021 at 7:28 AM, Arika S said:

I imagine they are holding off of a performance update for the switch’s actual successor. We all know what a shit show the *new* 3ds caused.

it makes the switch the only console hat doesn’t have performance differences between its variants of the same “generation”, (see series s and series x, ps4 and ps4 pro etc)

They most likely are, considering the Switch is still selling like hotcakes, ARM fuckery and they don't want to fracture the Switch base when it is still selling well 4 years into its life cycle.

Ideally we would stop talking about a Switch Pro/Super Switch/New Nintendo Switch and instead start discussing the Switch's successor now, because it's clear that a Switch Pro ain't happening. The New 3DS was an exception rather than the rule, and it barely even brought anything to the table beyond fracturing the 3DS base, one game that performed better on the New 3DS than old 3DS and a couple exclusive ports that were best played elsewhere. I don't know why the idea of a more powerful Switch has people excited when the New 3DS happened.

I don't see much of an issue with this release. It's not for people who already own a Switch Classic, but for people who either don't own a Switch or own a Switch Lite and want to upgrade. It's not something that current owners will want, and that's what I expected. It's just to offer a slightly nicer Switch for new console buyers.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Ideally we would stop talking about a Switch Pro/Super Switch/New Nintendo Switch and instead start discussing the Switch's successor now, because it's clear that a Switch Pro ain't happening. The New 3DS was an exception rather than the rule, and it barely even brought anything to the table beyond fracturing the 3DS base, one game that performed better on the New 3DS than old 3DS and a couple exclusive ports that were best played elsewhere. I don't know why the idea of a more powerful Switch has people excited when the New 3DS happened.

Not sure about the effort or compatibility in making a game run on the switch.

It's still a far cry from older tech, as back for not so long ago just porting something from console to PC was a big task and could still suffer port issues.

Unlike today, were you could use so many tools and updated engines that can adapt better in certain areas, and with more powerful hardware.

To things like for example AI upscaling and so on. A new switch or type of switch, could be really good for the more hardcore titles like the witcher, shooters etc.

Were nintendo still hold their magic though, and in also how they take fun spins on sport/racing and such, that might at some point still need an upgrade to run better and if they want the splitscreen support to work for newer titles without a performance decrease. Sadly they are mostly one of the last big companies that still support some level of splitscreen and engagement, instead of all the AAA titles and loot boxes deluxe.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

Not sure about the effort or compatibility in making a game run on the switch.

It's still a far cry from older tech, as back for not so long ago just porting something from console to PC was a big task and could still suffer port issues.

Unlike today, were you could use so many tools and updated engines that can adapt better in certain areas, and with more powerful hardware.

To things like for example AI upscaling and so on. A new switch or type of switch, could be really good for the more hardcore titles like the witcher, shooters etc.

Were nintendo still hold their magic though, and in also how they take fun spins on sport/racing and such, that might at some point still need an upgrade to run better and if they want the splitscreen support to work for newer titles without a performance decrease. Sadly they are mostly one of the last big companies that still support some level of splitscreen and engagement, instead of all the AAA titles and loot boxes deluxe.

I have a feeling that analysts who kept anticipating Nintendo would follow Sony and Microsoft in making a more powerful console SKU have no idea how Nintendo operates. They've been using outdated tech and squeezing all the potential out of it since the Game Boy, and reused the same semi-custom PowerPC 750 CPU designed for Nintendo in 1998 from the GameCube (2001) to the Wii U (2012).

But even ignoring that, the PS4/Xbone/3DS getting mid-gen hardware refreshes was an unprecedented move, and seems to have been an exception rather than something that will become the norm. It's never been before, and with the PS5 and Xbox Ses|Sex already being pretty on-par with high-end PCs out of the gate it doesn't seem likely to happen again.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

I have a feeling that analysts who kept anticipating Nintendo would follow Sony and Microsoft in making a more powerful console SKU have no idea how Nintendo operates. They've been using outdated tech and squeezing all the potential out of it since the Game Boy, and reused the same semi-custom PowerPC 750 CPU designed for Nintendo in 1998 from the GameCube (2001) to the Wii U (2012).

But even ignoring that, the PS4/Xbone/3DS getting mid-gen hardware refreshes was an unprecedented move, and seems to have been an exception rather than something that will become the norm. It's never been before, and with the PS5 and Xbox Ses|Sex already being pretty on-par with high-end PCs out of the gate it doesn't seem likely to happen again.

Well, as some people have speculated, reports probably got cobined in transit.

There was probably one person who said: "Yeah I'm working on a switch with a oled screen"

And one person who said: "I'm working on PCB for a newer tegra"

And someone combined the two, thinking it was the same switch, when it was probably just a next gen switch being worked on for prototype and the switch oled, two seperate models

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

oh well, if only the other handhelds that tries to combat the switch could get something to stand on.

Would valve/steam be able to do something? (rumor of handheld) Although they seem focused on linux and their projects like proton?

Also just a little off topic, tencent might be looking into buying the cry engine? and they have or rather that country has been buyed into so much and hold a huge % of many digital markets like gaming and animation.