Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You don't need a hardware TPM, the firmware one is fine. On Intel it was introduced all the way back in 2013. It might not be enabled by default on many boards, but available.

Just going through some systems I have on hand right now.

TPM 2.0 enabled already:

Asus Kaby Lake laptop

Lenovo Zen 3 laptop

Required manual enabling in bios:

Asus B560 chipset mobo

Asus X299 mobo

Option in bios but can't set (requires module?)

Asrock Z370 mobo

No option in bios that I can find:

Asus Z170 mobo

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

With all this BS i will just go Linux in the end...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, NeuesTestament said:

Am I one of the few people that actually doesn't hate the new UI? I don't think it looks bad at all. Android apps on Windows also sounds very useful provided it actually works.

In certain areas, it will just take more time or it can work (maybe more in a business or only school work setting).

As some windows, like what is often complained about in games, take up too much space rather than important information, like some of the windows seem more tablet focused than PC focused, where you have more to switch between than everything right there. (not as windows mess as in win10)

Some things that I liked about certain parts of windows 7, just click here and you get into whatever you needed to do.

Windows 10 just complicated things more and made things worse, while sort of looking better and feels uncomplete, which might make windows 11 the "true" windows 10 in my opinon. Although as to be seen, how they add in all the other nonsense or bloat. Also on the topic of privacy and mobile apps, which one would expect more control of the apps on how things run. As currently I still have a problem with apps running in the background when not wanted or told not to. To how they are maybe going to mix or push onedrive into windows, and other apps by them.

On the other hand, they could be a big game changer if they wanted, with the store and as an "app store".

In how they handle third party, and if they have like for example discord how you can add servers, just if one could add your own store and some through an API?

For example you would get a warning, as one should with not monitored or "free for all" stores, but could be a decent way of adding third parties and it could maybe be carried over to google or apple's stores. Also to manage any data collection and so on, from said apps, as it's one of the main reasons I don't want to install free apps on my PC.

Also microsoft has not been good with this, a lot of things you get opt-in into, or if for example EA games tries to auto opt-in you in their data collection without notifications about it. So can't say these larger companies are good to trust when auto collects information you didn't accept to, ofc this can just be brushed off with the "EULA"... 😕

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

New Settings App:

Spoiler

Screenshot 2021-06-24 115745.png

APP? But I do like the more mobile and compact version, like on phones.

If its done right... one of the changes that can improve windows by a lot, if it works or if limited and more connection to the internet like the mess of windows 10.

I just watched the official Windows 11 launch and I can't help but cringe at the obvious attempt at making an OS feel like an emotional experience. 

That being said, I love that android apps can run on Windows! (I know there has always been solutions out there, but they felt slow and clunky) Here's to hoping they will run smoother on W11! 

What is your favourite new feature? I would like to hear your opinions. Also let the memes flow!

Ok, the changes sound quite interesting. For as long as accounts can still be offline only and I can move the stupid centered start menu all the way to the left I'm gonna be fine with rest of changes. I adopted Windows 8 right away despite stupid tiles and that sidebar and while Windows 10 had some idiocies, it's pretty nice and reliable OS to use. Well, minus the stupid languages/regional settings that I'm fighting with or years now, but that has to be some non-US user wanting to use US English thing that puts me in this weird minority or something.

Funnily enough, I already had the win11 leak running on bare metal (tr3960x + 2070s) and on windows 10 it said "your pc is not ready"..
But of course, when I go in win11 it's all fine 😄

Also the images on the website in uhd are soooooooooooo ugly lol

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

Funnily enough, I already had the win11 leak running on bare metal (tr3960x + 2070s) and on windows 10 it said "your pc is not ready"..
But of course, when I go in win11 it's all fine 😄

Eh, even Windows 11 can't run Windows 11..

Captur5e.thumb.png.82a118e50fa49a82518c985d3463bf9f.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Ooh. Interesting. Thanks for sharing the link. Let's see what kind of UI changes they make.

The little I've seen of the new UI I actually liked, even though I heard a lot of people disliking it.

Edit: LOL they're starting with useless marketing fluff, I think I'll wait for the recaps

They watched Intel's Computex presentation and thought to themselves: "That. The world needs more of that."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Eh, even Windows 11 can't run Windows 11..

Captur5e.thumb.png.82a118e50fa49a82518c985d3463bf9f.png

I was wondering if there was just a check to see "I'm I on win11 already? if so then is ok"
But I guess not 😄

I think it just had trouble finding out if my pc had compatibility for TPM within windows10

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

A mobo setting you enable in bios, but it'll be a real pain because a lot of motherboards don't have an onboard TPM module.

They don't need one. Even since MS introduced the TPM requirement for a Windows 10 sticker, pretty much all PCs and Laptops support fTPM. Essentially the UEFI emulates a TPM using its SRAM, all you should need to do is enable Firmware TPM in UEFI.

Also its incredibly trivial to swap a few files over from a 10 ISO and have 11 work on unsupported hardware. Its one file from the sources folder and all the 10 boot files apart from the main ESD, once you replaced the 11 files with the 10 files it works on any PC that supports 10.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

11 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

They watched Intel's Computex presentation and thought to themselves: "That. The world needs more of that."

Intel?

Bunch of stuff they are adding, forcing TPM and secure boot as system requirements is bullish AF though. that gonna make dual boot linux setup a PITA to setup now, and that's gonna make a bunch of custom build an annoyance to upgrade, anyways they are also removing a bunch of stuff.

• Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.
  • Desktop wallpaper cannot be roamed to or from device when signed in with a Microsoft account.
  • Internet Explorer is disabled. Microsoft Edge is the recommended replacement and includes IE Mode which may be useful in certain scenarios.
  • Math Input Panel is removed. Math Recognizer will install on demand and includes the math input control and recognizer. Math inking in apps like OneNote are not impacted by this change.
  • News & Interests has evolved. New functionality has been added which can be found by clicking the Widgets icon on the Taskbar.
  • Quick Status from the Lockscreen and associated settings are removed.
  • S Mode is only available now for Windows 11 Home edition.
  • Snipping Tool continues to be available but the old design and functionality in the Windows 10 version has been replaced with those of the app previously known as Snip & Sketch.
  • Start is significantly changed in Windows 11 including the following key deprecations and removals:
    • Named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported and the layout is not currently resizable.
    • Pinned apps and sites will not migrate when upgrading from Windows 10.
    • Live Tiles are no longer available. For glanceable, dynamic content, see the new Widgets feature.
  • Tablet Mode is removed and new functionality and capability is included for keyboard attach and detach postures.
  • Taskbar functionality is changed including:
    • People is no longer present on the Taskbar.
    • Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray (systray) for upgraded devices including previous customizations.
    • Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed.
    • Apps can no longer customize areas of the Taskbar.
  • Timeline is removed. Some similar functionality is available in Microsoft Edge.
  • Touch Keyboard will no longer dock and undock keyboard layouts on screen sizes 18 inches and larger.
  • Wallet is removed.
  • The following apps will not be removed on upgrade but will no longer be installed on new devices or when clean-installing Windows 11. They are available for download from the Store:
    • 3D Viewer
    • OneNote for Windows 10
    • Paint 3D
https://petri.com/it-pros-these-windows-10-features-wont-be-in-windows-11?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bit surprised they are forcing the taskbar to the bottom now though i never used that feature regardless W11 seems to be a massive UX change which IMO, good thing they named it 11 instead of a update to 10, if it were to release as an update a lot people were going to be confused.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

6 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

Bunch of stuff they are adding, forcing TPM and secure boot as system requirements is bullish AF though. that gonna make dual boot linux setup a PITA to setup now, and that's gonna make a bunch of custom build an annoyance to upgrade, anyways they are also removing a bunch of stuff

Untitled.thumb.png.d27b3e6b12acf96c696819aed795a290.png

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Taskbar is forced to the bottom!?
Okay that does not make me happy. Not at all.

Ive been a Taskbar on top sorta guy for ~10 years now. It just made sense, since tabs are also on top, so swapping between different windows was like swapping through groups of tabs.

5 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Wait a minute.... does 11 have the old mspaint?

Yep 🙂

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Untitled.thumb.png.d27b3e6b12acf96c696819aed795a290.png

that's a laptop though, and i said custom builds everything else made in the last 5 years, at least maybe even more are safe.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home

So, probably staying on Windows 10. Online account is a dealbreaker for me.

DirectStorage requires 1 TB or greater NVMe SSD to store and run games that uses the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU

No NVMe gen 4 requirement??? But instead requires RTX/RDNA2 card. (Edit): Strange, because this article said "Microsoft has said all DirectX 12 compatible hardware will support it", as if it were confirmed, while now it's only DX12 Ultimate.

1 minute ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

that's a laptop though, and i said custom builds everything else made in the last 5 years, at least maybe even more are safe.

I think you missed the point, sorry I probably should have highlighted it.

Windows 11 running with Secure Boot disabled

3 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Taskbar is forced to the bottom!?
Okay that does not make me happy. Not at all.

Ive been a Taskbar on top sorta guy for ~10 years now. It just made sense, since tabs are also on top, so swapping between different windows was like swapping through groups of tabs.

I was down with Win 11 until now but this is bullshit...

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

1 minute ago, Ydfhlx said:

No NVMe gen 4 requirement??? But instead requires RTX/RDNA2 card. Strange.

It is meant to notify the GPU where the texture that should be loaded is in the NVMe, to bypass the CPU/RAM. NVMe Gen4 helps, but isn't really necessary.

1 minute ago, Ydfhlx said:

No NVMe gen 4 requirement??? But instead requires RTX/RDNA2 card. Strange.

Make sense, the consoles are gen 4 but 2x so basically gen 3 @ 4x, the 1TB requirement is annoying since the Series S is half TB with over 100GB taken by the system alone.

Warning:
I disabled CSM and my monitor stopped working. Had to plug in a spare monitor to get into the BIOS and enabled CSM again.

Monitor:
ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ HDR Gaming Monitor - 27 Inch WQHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, 155Hz*, ELMB Sync, G-SYNC Compatible, Adaptive-sync, 1 ms (MPRT), HDR10

Spare Monitor:
Dell U2715H 27-Inch Widescreen IPS LED Monitor

Observation:
Initially, turning on Firmware TPM (Intel PTT) did make tpm.msc and device manager recognise TPM 2.0.

A few reboots later this is no longer the case. tmp.msc says I have no TPM. Device Manager shows TPM with a warning symbol.

I have disabled PTT, clearly it doesn't "just work".

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I think you missed the point, sorry I probably should have highlighted it.

Windows 11 running with Secure Boot disabled

ah, ok, but are you dual booting? secure boot makes dual booting linux a PITA and that's what i'm trying to say.

Just now, AlexGoesHigh said:

ah, ok, but are you dual booting? secure boot makes dual booting linux a PITA and that's what i'm trying to say.

Yep though not in the traditional way. I have 11 on the internal SSD then Ubuntu running on a SATA SSD and I use GRUB to choose between Ubuntu or Windows. It works perfectly 🙂