Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
Just now, Forbidden Wafer said:

They're not blocking people using older than 8th gen. They will advise against updating, and that is it. Look at the hard floor requirements, that is what you need to have.

I hope so, the two machines I have waiting for their owner to collect are used literally for YouTube and MixCraft nothing more.  And I know the chap would like to have the latest version of Windows.   I'd hate to tell him they're both e-waste post 2025.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I can see this pushing many owners of perfectly workable machines to swap over to Apple, while Win11 may be a excellent OS and MS justified in many means for their stance and requirements, end users who see computers as furniture that should only be replaced when literally broken, will see this as a stupid thing, and refuse to buy a Windows machine.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Just now, Tieox said:

I find it hard to understand why if 11 is just a updated Win10 we cannot run stuff like Core2Duo's on it without a problem? this limitation must be designed to push people out to buy new hardware period! and it's bullshit.

A lot of people will say that these people should just buy a new system, but I say that people should be given the choice to do what they want. With these requirements, I won't even be able to get my E6440 onto W11, meanwhile it is quite good at running W10 (though it doesn't handle anything other than general use well... a MQ-series chip would help with that).

That said, maybe W11 will actually have something that justifies the high system requirements that we don't yet know about. We'll see.

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

1 minute ago, lboolaka_33 said:

A lot of people will say that these people should just buy a new system, but I say that people should be given the choice to do what they want. With these requirements, I won't even be able to get my E6440 onto W11, meanwhile it is quite good at running W10 (though it doesn't handle anything other than general use well... a MQ-series chip would help with that).

That said, maybe W11 will actually have something that justifies the high system requirements that we don't yet know about. We'll see.

I'm hoping within weeks of the launch people will find ways to bypass the bullshit lock ( my term for their limitation ) 

Why do people absolutely need to run the latest OS on a 15 year old machine? W10 will have support until 2025...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Why do people absolutely need to run the latest OS on a 15 year old machine? W10 will have support until 2025...

Because Intel basically re-released the same processors over and over in the last 5 years, so it means you're really supporting 10y worth of hardware. =x

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I am hoping some of the supported list is more of a soft limit that can be bypassed to ensure support for older machines, if not the modding community will likely sort something out.  

And why not run Win11 on older machines? given the bloody market right now, do you fancy going to to buy a new CPU?

21 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

IIRC anything older than the GTX 400 series on Nvidia, and HD7000 series on AMD, old cards but still useful for basic tasks, though PC's running GPU's that old might not have a UEFI bios or TPM anyway.

It might sound tinfoil hat but I wonder if Intel pushed Microsoft to make TPM a requirement so people will be replacing their older PC's, because Microsoft has to be getting Intel money to be saying the 11th gen CPU's are great.

Thats for Windows 10, but who knows if the Windows 11 setup is going to be the same, MS has been pushing for online accounts so I wouldn't be surprised if its forced for Win11 home, MS gets all kinds of telemetry especially if someone uses Outlook mail with their Microsoft account.

Intel is on a back foot for sure, and their msrp are perhaps too high if everything was actually selling for msrp.  There are intel chips that are being sold that are better than AMD cups that are being sold.  The matches aren’t what intel wants them to be but they do exist.  

If the 5900 was actually gettable and the 5950 was $750 instead of nearly a grand there would be a better argument for that, but AMD isn’t doing that so it’s different.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

A TPM 2.0 hard floor could be reasonable IF MS is implementing some radically new form of security. Everyone knows that biometrics are a joke and just the vehicle for data mining, so they'll probably continue to push that really hard and pretend like TPM 2.0 is "required" for their new biometric login. Hope not - but people will absolutely buy this narrative if that's how MS tries to sell it.

Regarding the CPU generations... there is really no meaningful difference in terms of architecture from Intel's 9th gen all the way back to their 2nd gen. It's all 14nm litho with the same underlying design. 10th & 11th gen are only slightly difference, and there isn't going to be a REAL architectural change until 12th gen. So choosing 8th gen seems arbitrary to me. There is no reason why a 4-core, 4-thread CPU with an '8' in the name would opperate any differently than a 4-core, 4-thread CPU from with a 7' in the name... especially considering that there are no added instruction sets, no changes to the pipeline, no changes in BUS speed or bandwidth to PCI-E lanes or anything... (Should all be DMI 3.0 I think)

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Because they want the new features?

Also, support is being cut for a lot more recent machines than 15 years. 

Your defense of Microsoft in this thread is really weird.

Just now, LAwLz said:

It isn't. There is a hard floor and a soft floor. Hard floor won't get the update and soft floor will. They're basically supporting all stuff Win10 already supported.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Your defense of Microsoft in this thread is really weird.

Just been on the phone, thankfully my buddy is happy for the Core2Duo to remain on Win10, but would like the newer core i5 3300 to get 11 if possible.  

1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

It isn't. There is a hard floor and a soft floor. Hard floor won't get the update and soft floor will. They're basically supporting all stuff Win10 already supported.

But they're removing legacy bios support?

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If those requirements hold, I wouldn't be able to run the latest OS on a 4/5yr old machine (ThinkPad P50 with an i7 6700HQ).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Even with Windows 10 being supported until 2025, there's going to be a lot of computers that should be fully capable of running it, but can't.

Hell, my computer (at least according to the CPU list) doesn't support Windows 11, yet runs the leaked build in a VM just fine (that may be due to the fact that it's not the final build, but it's something I find funny).

4 minutes ago, Tieox said:

I am hoping some of the supported list is more of a soft limit that can be bypassed to ensure support for older machines, if not the modding community will likely sort something out.  

And why not run Win11 on older machines? given the bloody market right now, do you fancy going to to buy a new CPU?

It’s not good, but it’s nothing near as bad as the gpu market

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I made a post in general about all the requirements that Windows 11 will need so we can have further discussion there.

1 minute ago, Tieox said:

But they're removing legacy bios support?

They list SecureBoot as a hard-floor requirement. AFAIK, SecureBoot requires UEFI, but that doesn't mean it can't fallback to BIOS emulation.

5 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

The soft floor requirements are just weird though, not technically supporting anything older than Intel 8th gen, and AMD Ryzen 2000 series,  hopefully Microsoft changes it. But even with the hard floor it still makes a lot of hardware stuck with Windows 10.

5 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

They list SecureBoot as a hard-floor requirement. AFAIK, SecureBoot requires UEFI, but that doesn't mean it can't fallback to BIOS emulation.

Maybe I'm a lil outa touch, but weren't there notable issues with SecureBoot, to the point its actually kinda pointless, and more then anything just gets in the way of someone who wants to install a different OS on their system?

dang nice more spyware to install on my computer

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

12 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The soft floor requirements are just weird though, not technically supporting anything older than Intel 8th gen, and AMD Ryzen 2000 series,  hopefully Microsoft changes it. But even with the hard floor it still makes a lot of hardware stuck with Windows 10.

I also find the TPM 2.0 requirement weird.

I get dumbing some hardware because you want to get rid of some legacy stuff, but in the case of TPM 2.0 it is adding more dependencies even though it seems like there are no technical reasons for requiring it.

13 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

Maybe I'm a lil outa touch, but weren't there notable issues with SecureBoot, to the point its actually kinda pointless, and more then anything just gets in the way of someone who wants to install a different OS on their system?

Not really. It's bothersome but not that bad. You just need to install the cryptographic signature of the new OS you want to install. Of course you can only do that if you are an administrator (or owner) of the device.

Oh boy, trying to explain UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM is going to be *fun*!

Especially to an angry customer who demands I upgrade them to Windows 11 or thinks it's my fault that they can't

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

6 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Oh boy, trying to explain UEFI, Secure Boot, and TPM is going to be *fun*!

Especially to an angry customer who demands I upgrade them to Windows 11 or thinks it's my fault that they can't

And the peeps who bought a i5 Ivybridge that does everything they want on Win10 but get told NOPE no Win11, and all they see is a perfectly fine PC, then throw in the jargon and things to check.

My recommendation for those peeps? buy a M1 Mac Mini.