Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

With all the original bugs features intact, of course.

Fixed that for you friend. There are no bugs with Microsoft products, only features.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Oh nice. I can run W11, since Kepler supports WDDM 2.0 (my main concern was graphics support, since NVidia's axing continued driver support for Kepler).

That leaves the question, do I want to?

elephants

Ok, i was a bit skeptical at first, but i think this looks awsome now lmao. I think that that dark mode really got me going. Although i dont wanna say i'll upgrade right away. Lmao i just wanna wait for the reviews to come out and see what other people say about it for a bit before i upgrade. But it seems pretty cool. Lmao hope the windows curse doesnt strike again.

Confirmed minimum requirements:

Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC) 
Memory 4 GB RAM
Storage 64 GB or larger storage device
System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display >9” with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connection Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home

Stuff to take away:

No more 32-Bit Windows. The minimum memory requirement is now 4GB (as it should've been 6 years ago). What's more interesting is that you must now have TPM 2.0 and UEFI. It's too early to tell if the RTM build coming this Holiday will support the same workarounds as Windows 11 Build 21996, but officially, this kills most PCs made before 2016.

IMO UEFI made sense at this point. To have a Windows 8 sticker on your PC it had to support UEFI, so if they only supported UEFI you would've had 9 years of hardware that supported 11. Now we have about 4-5 years since TPM 2.0 wasn't a requirement until mid-2016. I assume that in 2025 when Windows 10 loses support, we will see a lot of BIOS/early UEFI computers flooding the used markets now that the latest version of Windows doesn't support it.

This also kills any hope that Windows 11 would bring support for M1 Macs, or hell any Mac for that matter, as they do not have TPM, opting to use their own Secure Enclave instead. Unless Microsoft makes an exception (or if Apple made a virtual TPM 2.0 chip that ran before Bootcamp starts), it will be impossible to use an official ISO of Windows 11 on any Mac.

11 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Seriously it's a glorified mobile app store on a windows machine pretending they didn't copy Apple! It's disgusting looking and honestly I'd rather buy a Mac and I hate Apple products I've never owned one in my life.

So the Microsoft Store... that mind you you don't even have to use... is making you switch to another platform?

4 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC) 
Memory 4 GB RAM
Internet connection Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home

Stuff to take away:

No more 32-Bit Windows. The minimum memory requirement is now 4GB (as it should've been 6 years ago). What's more interesting is that you must now have TPM 2.0 and UEFI. It's too early to tell if the RTM build coming this Holiday will support the same workarounds as Windows 11 Build 21996, but officially, this kills most PCs made before 2016.

IMO UEFI made sense at this point. To have a Windows 8 sticker on your PC it had to support UEFI, so if they only supported UEFI you would've had 9 years of hardware that supported 11. Now we have about 4-5 years since TPM 2.0 wasn't a requirement until mid-2016. I assume that in 2025 when Windows 10 loses support, we will see a lot of BIOS/early UEFI computers flooding the used markets now that the latest version of Windows doesn't support it.

This also kills any hope that Windows 11 would bring support for M1 Macs, or hell any Mac for that matter, as they do not have TPM, opting to use their own Secure Enclave instead. Unless Microsoft makes an exception (or if Apple made a virtual TPM 2.0 chip that ran before Bootcamp starts), it will be impossible to use an official ISO of Windows 11 on any Mac.

That TPM 2.0 requirement is going to be a massive issue for a lot of people, businesses included.

Unless I'm missing something, my Thinkpad P50 is on TPM 1.2. It left whatever business was using it last year (I bought it refurbished). 

Wow the guy was really struggling to talk there, I'm guessing it wasn't prerecorded or something?

🙂

2 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

So the Microsoft Store... that mind you you don't even have to use... is making you switch to another platform?

It's embedded into everything tell me how I don't have to use some of the crap they added? I'm sticking with windows because I game or I might just go full blown Linux but I won't be upgrading. I don't like my desktop to feel like a mobile phone.

When upgrading to Windows 11 from Windows 10 or when installing an update to Windows 11, some features may be deprecated or removed. Please see below for information regarding some of the key features impacted:

• Cortana will no longer be included in the first boot experience or pinned to the Taskbar.
  • Desktop wallpaper cannot be roamed to or from device when signed in with a Microsoft account.
  • Internet Explorer is disabled. Microsoft Edge is the recommended replacement and includes IE Mode which may be useful in certain scenarios.
  • Math Input Panel is removed. Math Recognizer will install on demand and includes the maths input control and recogniser. Maths inking in apps like OneNote are not impacted by this change.
  • News & Interests has evolved. New functionality has been added which can be found by clicking the Widgets icon on the Taskbar.
  • Quick Status from the Lockscreen and associated settings are removed.
  • S Mode is only available now for Windows 11 Home edition.
  • Snipping Tool continues to be available but the old design and functionality in the Windows 10 version has been replaced with those of the app previously known as Snip & Sketch.
  • Start is significantly changed in Windows 11 including the following key deprecations and removals:
    • Named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported and the layout is not currently resizable.
    • Pinned apps and sites will not migrate when upgrading from Windows 10.
    • Live Tiles are no longer available. For glanceable, dynamic content, see the new Widgets feature.
  • Tablet Mode is removed and new functionality and capability is included for keyboard attach and detach postures.
  • Taskbar functionality is changed including:
    • People is no longer present on the Taskbar.
    • Some icons may no longer appear in the System Tray (systray) for upgraded devices including previous customisations.
    • Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed.
    • Apps can no longer customise areas of the Taskbar.
  • Timeline is removed. Some similar functionality is available in Microsoft Edge.
  • Touch Keyboard will no longer dock and undock keyboard layouts on screen sizes 18 inches and larger.
  • Wallet is removed.
The following apps will not be removed on upgrade but will no longer be installed on new devices or when clean-installing Windows 11. They are available for download from the Store:

Basically cleaning out the unused crap. Biggest shockers were Paint 3d, timeline and skype 

2 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

It's embedded into everything tell me how I don't have to use some of the crap they added? I'm sticking with windows because I game or I might just go full blown Linux but I won't be upgrading. I don't like my desktop to feel like a mobile phone.

Or you could just unpin it from the Taskbar...

You're acting like the ONLY way to use Windows is to download apps through the Microsoft Store. That's not how it was for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10. Why would it be for 11?

For someone that wants to have their apps automatically updated in the background, the Microsoft Store is a perfect choice. but you don't have to use it. You are being overdramatic.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Multiple-Monitor improvements. When you disconnect a secondary monitor and plug it back, windows of program return back to the way they were.

What took so long? It's little usability things like this that make a big difference. On one of my systems I have dual (mismatched) displays. When one of them goes to sleep, everything jumps to the other screen. Very annoying, so my only workaround is never to allow the displays to power down when on.

37 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  • Android Apps coming to windows!!!
  • Amazon App Store in Microsoft Store. Store inception!

Did they say how they were going to deliver Android? An existing emulator? Their own (new) emulator? Will it be full Google services or AOSP? The mentioning of Amazon gives me concern it will be the 2nd.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Memory 4 GB RAM

Stuff to take away:

DirectStorage requires 1 TB or greater NVMe SSD and a dx12u gpu

Snap three-column layouts require a screen that is 1920 effective pixels or greater in width(rip 1366*768p users)

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Alignment to the bottom of the screen is the only location allowed.

wat.

6 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

fuuuuuuuckkk

Do PCs even have tpm?

what even is that? a mobo setting?

That... Can be a problem.
I dunno about you guys, but in my experience, once an OS is ~2 years old I'd start running into Wifi or Ethernet chips that I'd need to install drivers manually.
Is the OS going to account for that?

7 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

fuuuuuuuckkk

Do PCs even have tpm?

Just now, Murasaki said:

Any PC/Motherboard with a Windows 10 sticker produced after July 2016 must be TPM 2.0 compatible. Or else they wouldn't have been given a Windows 10 sticker. If you don't have it in your UEFI, you do, but it's probably not enabled and will be in a motherboard update.

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

A mobo setting you enable in bios, but it'll be a real pain because a lot of motherboards don't have an onboard TPM module.

1 minute ago, DeScruff said:

That... Can be a problem.
I dunno about you guys, but in my experience, once an OS is ~2 years old I'd start running into Wifi or Ethernet chips that I'd need to install drivers manually.
Is the OS going to account for that?

Nope. Windows 11 Home Build 21996 waited for you to connect to the internet. They must assume that you would either slipstream drivers, or buy Pro. Because the privilege using a PC without the internet is only reserved for people running Windows 11 Pro. Because the more expensive version of Windows would be more likely to be in a place without internet, that makes sense...

Any PC/Motherboard with a Windows 10 sticker produced after July 2016 must be TPM 2.0 compatible. Or else they wouldn't have been given a Windows 10 sticker. If you don't have it in your UEFI, you do, but it's probably not enabled and will be in a motherboard update.

nvm, I am not switching back to windows.

This scares me:

image.png.97083ca6a01d77d28ea41be018d25415.png

Well, looks like dell is offering free upgrades to everyone(https://www.news18.com/news/tech/windows-11-launch-live-updates-new-icons-and-more-expected-stream-starts-at-830pm-3888083.html)

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A mobo setting you enable in bios, but it'll be a real pain because a lot of motherboards don't have an onboard TPM module.

I just read my mobo's manual, says "The TPM module is purchased separately". Oof... you can buy these?

My impression is pretty good so far. 

Outside of some changes I dislike (centered taskbar being the biggest one), it feels like it could have been a feature update to Windows 10.

I'm a bit disappointed that Android apps are going to come from the Amazon store. That probably means:

1) Bad selection of apps (Amazon's app store is kind of crap). 

2) No GMS. 

3) Developers will have to adopt Amazon's bad policies (like their own DRM that is mandatory) to distribute their apps to Windows. 

It's better than nothing, but far from what I hoped when rumors started circulating. 

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

I just read my mobo's manual, says "The TPM module is purchased separately". Oof... you can buy these?

1. they are freaking expensive

2 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I might be wrong but I thought TPM was optional, especially if you don't care about it. I'm fairly sure on most mobos I've used over the years there's a header for it that is unpopulated. If that means they're not Win10 certified, I don't care. If I'm not mistaken the certification also requires things like Secure Boot to be set up and enabled. The only time I see that is on laptops.

I did look up how to check TPM status, run tpm.msc and it'll report any active version. The laptop I'm using right now has 2.0. Three desktops I checked report no TPM active. They're Rocket Lake, Coffee Lake and Skylake, so two of those are post 2016.

Is it even possible to certify a mobo for Win10? Feels more like a system requirement.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

This scares me:

"Some" Windows 10 PCs are BIOS and cannot be upgraded officially, so they won't be served the update. It's that simple.

The same language was used with the Windows 10 free upgrade. Not every single computer on Windows 7 could be upgraded to 10.