Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
13 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

fuuuuuuuckkk

Do PCs even have tpm?

MY thoughts exactly, AFAIK on home PC's and laptops TPM is pretty much non-existent..... But my biggest concern is "System firmwareUEFI, Secure Boot capable", does that mean it just wont run on machines that have it disabled?

1 minute ago, porina said:

I might be wrong but I thought TPM was optional, especially if you don't care about it. I'm fairly sure on most mobos I've used over the years there's a header for it that is unpopulated. If that means they're not Win10 certified, I don't care. If I'm not mistaken the certification also requires things like Secure Boot to be set up and enabled. The only time I see that is on laptops.

I did look up how to check TPM status, run tpm.msc and it'll report any active version. The laptop I'm using right now has 2.0. Three desktops I checked report no TPM active. They're Rocket Lake, Coffee Lake and Skylake, so two of those are post 2016.

Is it even possible to certify a mobo for Win10? Feels more like a system requirement.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-tpm

It could be just for OEM PCs, but I assume motherboards would have had to follow the strict guidelinesl. I highly doubt your brand new Ryzen 9 5900X machine would fail to run Windows 11.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

I did look up how to check TPM status, run tpm.msc and it'll report any active version. The laptop I'm using right now has 2.0. Three desktops I checked report no TPM active. They're Rocket Lake, Coffee Lake and Skylake, so two of those are post 2016.

I tested on my Ryzen machine and same thing - no TPM active.

I've also got Secure Boot enabled, but for Other OS (because I run macOS sometimes).

Perhaps I'll poke about a bit under the AMD fTPM settings?

elephants

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

MY thoughts exactly, AFAIK on home PC's and laptops TPM is pretty much non-existent..... But my biggest concern is "System firmwareUEFI, Secure Boot capable", does that mean it just wont run on machines that have it disabled?

exunkly. Secure boot is a b*tch when you have to run linux. The CPU scheduler freaks out.

14 minutes ago, DeScruff said:

That... Can be a problem.
I dunno about you guys, but in my experience, once an OS is ~2 years old I'd start running into Wifi or Ethernet chips that I'd need to install drivers manually.
Is the OS going to account for that?

You can still make an offline account. Linus made a video on the leaked build and it had the option.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

3 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/oem-tpm

It could be just for OEM PCs, but I assume motherboards would have had to follow the strict guidelinesl. I highly doubt your brand new Ryzen 9 5900X machine would fail to run Windows 11.

The 1st paragraph of that link says it is for new devices only. I read that as, a system or complete device that will include Windows pre-loaded. That's why I questioned if it applied to mobos. As a component, it is not complete, and up to the system builder to integrate it to meet all requirements. MS might have a separate requirement that says it has to support it, but it can't really go much further than that.

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I tested on my Ryzen machine and same thing - no TPM active.

I've also got Secure Boot enabled, but for Other OS (because I run macOS sometimes).

Perhaps I'll poke about a bit under the AMD fTPM settings?

Reading up on TPMs in general. Looks like there can be several implementations: a physical stand alone device, emulated in firmware, or even built into CPU/chipsets. At this point I have no idea who supports what.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

You can still make an offline account. Linus made a video on the leaked build and it had the option.

MS: Yeah we probably should fix that bug ASAP....

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

MS: Yeah we probably should fix that bug ASAP....

Doubt that they could ever truly remove it. They do try to hide it though.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I just checked my mobo's settings, under PCH-FW theres a TPM toggle between Discrete TPM / Firmware TPM, does that mean theres a TPM stored in the mobo's firmware? If I select Firmware TPM this pops up for Intel PTT. I won't change any settings for now cuz im scared lmao. Guess this is some TPM emulation?

IMG_20210624_194308.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Doubt that they could ever truly remove it. They do try to hide it though.

They already made the xbox series s/x always online only so i think they are going to do it at some point.....

18 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I just read my mobo's manual, says "The TPM module is purchased separately". Oof... you can buy these?

Im really hoping it's going to be firmware based tpm if its required for more than just OEM pc's. My other concern is being able to install without needing sign into a Microsoft account, Microsoft has really been pushing that and I'd rather install my own drivers after an OS install without windows update trying to force updates that might break something.

11 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I just checked my mobo's settings, under PCH-FW theres a TPM toggle between Discrete TPM / Firmware TPM, does that mean theres a TPM stored in the mobo's firmware? If I select Firmware TPM this pops up for Intel PTT. I won't change any settings for now cuz im scared lmao. Guess this is some TPM emulation?

Discrete TPM = dedicated module

Firmware TPM = uses functionality included in the platform chips already

The latter option, assuming it is sufficient for Win11, might be more widely supported than we think. Just enthusiasts ever looked for it since we didn't need it before now.

Edit: I enabled it on my Rocket Lake system. It now reports as supporting TPM 2.0. Wonder how far back we can go? 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Discrete TPM = dedicated module

Firmware TPM = uses functionality included in the platform chips already

The latter option, assuming it is sufficient for Win11, might be more widely supported than we think. Just enthusiasts ever looked for it since we didn't need it before now.

I guess this is what they meant on the livestream with 11 being "the most secure windows yet". Forcing people to deal with this TPM stuff 😆

Im finally excited for the next version of Windows, windows 8 was a nuke, windows 10 we meh but it had a lot of bloatware. The design is great, everyone can complain but it doesn't give me mac os vibe or anything like that. I genuinely enjoy the new window snap. Android apps are a game changer. We will see a lot more people on surface in 2022. And Windows 10.1 sounds dumb cause it just gives me windows 8.1 vibes which they fucked up. Excuse my language. But overall in excited.

The geek himself.

wondering whether the tpm stuff means no more windowsvms

image.png

12 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

He installed Pro (for Workstations) keep in mind.
What I quoted was about Home. Which I'm going to assume most people are going to have.

And as NotTheFirstDaniel noted in a reply "Windows 11 Home Build 21996 waited for you to connect to the internet. They must assume that you would either slipstream drivers, or buy Pro". That is a huge oversight in the long run if you ask me, cause again. In like 2 years your gonna have new Wifi chips that Win11 will not recognize outta the box.

Requiring slipstreaming drivers is a foolish idea. In the very far past I believe Windows did let you install drivers during setup via Floppy disk/CD/USB (The later of which became an issue with Windows7 since it lacked USB 3.0 support) But I don't think Ive seen that with the Win8, 8.1, or 10 installers?

19 minutes ago, porina said:

The latter option, assuming it is sufficient for Win11, might be more widely supported than we think.

It depends on the CPU and mobo though, for example my gaming rig doesnt have it (4670k)...  And i think we all know how many ppl will go out and buy tpm modules. (Assuming the mobo has a header for it.)

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You can order a TPM chip that uses a USB header

I didn't see any for a USB header, but I did find a bunch that go on the TPM header. It's like a USB header but with a few more pins. Here's where it is on my B350-F Gaming:

Spoiler

2044377317_TPMcircle.jpg.429077e07c980a812f1c45c9963d9138.jpg

Image is low res as it was pulled from the manual.

elephants

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You can order a TPM chip that uses a USB header on the motherboard. I looked on Amazon.

They are inexpensive, but I expect the price to jump like crazy, as demand for them will be huge. Most DIY mothebroard doesn't have a TPM chip.

What im actually hoping is for those modules to become more common once 11 is more widespread

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You can order a TPM chip that uses a USB header on the motherboard. I looked on Amazon.

They are inexpensive, but I expect the price to jump like crazy, as demand for them will be huge. Most DIY mothebroard doesn't have a TPM chip.

The hardware TPM chip is needed to install Windows11? If so thats disappointing and theres going to be a lot of people confused why they cant install the upgrade. I'll probably hold off from getting Windows 11 but i do like the multi monitor improvement and android apps.

You don't need a hardware TPM, the firmware one is fine. On Intel it was introduced all the way back in 2013. It might not be enabled by default on many boards, but available.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Start menu is now integrated with OneDrive, showing documents from one OneDrive account directly on it

From someone that hated using it to actually getting 1 terabyte of free space (family plan).. I like that.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

I have a i7-5930K & ASUS X-99-A/USB 3.1 & my manual says there is a 20-pin TPM module header & they are like $10 on Ebay for the ASUS chip.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You don't need a hardware TPM, the firmware one is fine. On Intel it was introduced all the way back in 2013. It might not be enabled by default on many boards, but available.

All AM4 boards also have it (PSP setting). So anything since 2016 should be fine. Older FM2/AM3 boards might need the hardware thing.