Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
6 minutes ago, throwaway3224 said:

A few reboots later this is no longer the case. tmp.msc says I have no TPM. Device Manager shows TPM with a warning symbol.

Do you have the latest ME drivers?

I just had a thought.

Is the TPM 2.0 requirement a requirement of Windows Boot Manager (the Windows bootloader) or a requirement of Windows 11 itself (after the bootloader loads the OS)?
I use OpenCore 0.6.6 to boot Windows, as I dual boot Windows/macOS (and once I have more SATA ports Linux will be added as well), and when I do so instead of ROG Strix B350-F Gaming showing up in CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 it shows Acidanthera MacPro7,1 Mainboard (Hackintosh is configured as MacPro7,1).

elephants

3 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Do you have the latest ME drivers?

I think so. I have the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed and it says everything is up to date.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Im really hoping it's going to be firmware based tpm if its required for more than just OEM pc's. My other concern is being able to install without needing sign into a Microsoft account, Microsoft has really been pushing that and I'd rather install my own drivers after an OS install without windows update trying to force updates that might break something.

CTRL+SHIFT+F3 in OOBE skips it and signs you into an Administrator account where you can install drivers.

This worked on Windows 11 Pro, not sure about Home, but I assume it would as this is what System Builders use to prep Windows.

Windows 11 is there a need of TPM module inorder to use that is abit like out of the pc building community

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The new Store now allowed developers to use their own ecommerce platform, instead of Microsoft (meaning Microsoft doesn't get a cut if the dev choose to not use Microsoft solution)

YAY! I don't have to pay Microsoft a cent (technically split a cent with Microsoft... but who cares).

Dev event started.

• Admits lack of apps on the Store
  • The new Store will features "Stories" an article page for developers to talk about their line of products.
  • Pop-up Store. New feature that now allows a website to have a Store icon, where when clicked shows a OS level pop-up to install the app. No more going to the Store app website version, and then login, and then click on Get, and then the Store opens to the page, click on Get again, Click on Get AGAIN, and AGAIN! and then Install, and it eventually starts installing....
  • PWA3. Open Source PWA maker tool and framework for sites to make PWA apps that can distributed to the Store and outside.
  • Confirm that the Store support your own custom or third-party ecommerce platform service. Microsoft will not get any revenue if that is done.
  • Confirms that Insiders will get Windows 11 next week.
  • Teams, Office, Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code will FINALLY come to the Store
  • Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) is how Windows 11 can run Android apps. This is like WSL but Android.
  • Android app works with pen, Bluetooth audio, keyboard, mouse and of course touch.
  • Uses Intel Bridge technology to translate ARM instructions to x86. Confirms that this technology is avail to AMD users.
  • Windows Terminal ships in box.
  • PWA apps can add items to the quick jump list, and Share menu. And title bar will match app accent color.
  • PWABuilder.com - Microsoft website to quickly package and deploy to the Store PWA apps.
  • Windows App SDK. Released now.
  • Apps can be updated while running and restore exactly where the user was, including all filled fields. Apps can choose when they get updated when running (example when: user has the app minimized, away (screen locked), etc.)
  • Confirmed that Windows 11 ARM feature x86-64-bit (Windows 10 Insiders can enjoy this feature)

Man... I've only had this hardware 3 years and now I'm gonna have to abandon it so I don't lose security updates in a few years. Nothing is disabled in my bios and I have no bios updates or anything like that. Between this and the hardware shortage my next Windows PC will probably just be a prebuilt.

Who the hell at Microsoft thought TPM 2 was a good thing to **REQUIRE** for an upgrade? Talk about instantly making hardware obsolete.

So far the changes I've seen looked pretty good, but I am going to remain cautiously optimistic until I've tried it on my own. I am quite reluctant on the fact that they're using the Amazon App Store for getting the Android apps. I hope there's a way we can use APK's so I can avoid Amazon's service. The thing about TPM is that I don't have the module yet my system is eligible for the upgrade according to the tool provided by MS. I did enable a setting within UEFI (Security Device Support on MSI MB) so I assume it won't be a problem for me to upgrade. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

Yeah going through others would be a huge pain in the a*****, also that likely could mean you have to accept their terms and conditions too.

So if they have their own data collection in there and more, or if they will require some login later on, to be required.

*reminds myself of windows live*

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows Central reports that Microsoft will make Windows 11 a free update to Windows 10 users. It will delivered via Windows Update, and will no time limit on the offer. People will be able to upgrade to it at anytime.

This is what I'm most happy for.  I'm glad they are going with this approach...since I have over 5 PC's with Windows 10 on it

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

18 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Who the hell at Microsoft thought TPM 2 was a good thing to **REQUIRE** for an upgrade? Talk about instantly making hardware obsolete.

Not just that but also not having an option that lets users opt out of the secure boot means you can't tinker with the OS, this makes windows a lot  more locked down than macOS. All macs (including M1 macs) have the option to reduce boot security to a point were it will boot any kernel even if you have 100% modified it. You can also (on M1 macs) self sign a kernel so you can keep boot security (eg a virus can't modify the kernel) but boot any kernel you want (you just need to self sign again). Also key feature on the M1 hardware is you can set this on a partition level, so you can keep your main install fully secure but turn down security on your playground install were you are testing out something. 

54 minutes ago, throwaway3224 said:

I think so. I have the Intel Driver Support Assistant installed and it says everything is up to date.

It might be ok for higher level stuff like graphics, networking or wireless drivers, but I don't think i've ever seen it offer chipset or ME updates. Best manually check on your mobo/system maker website.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Updated File Explorer:

Nooooooooo, what did they do with the ribbon menu? @_____@ 

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

With all this BS i will just go Linux in the end...

I would switch to Linux completely if I didn't play games on PC. I like the W11 for better handling of multiple monitors, android apps, WSLg, and dark mode,but forcing TPM mode is really disappointing.

Edited by Blademaster91

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I would switch to Linux completely if I didn't play games on PC. I like the W11 for better handling of multiple monitors, android apps, WSGl, and dark mode,but forcing TPM mode is really disappointing.

Considering that you need a GPU with DirectX 12, I am starting to believe these minimum specs is more for Microsoft to ensure that Windows 11 doesn't run on old crap system, and doesn't have a poor experience due to lack of hardware support or just lack of performance. In other words, probably avoiding a Vista again.

Hi all,

Windows 11 has some more niche requirements (TPM, GPT, UEFI) than Windows 10. I've thrown together a script to help you check those here:

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Thoughts, in no particular order:

New settings - Looked nice when it flashed by in the video. It remains to be seen how easy it is to work with though. It doesn't matter if something looks nice if it requires a lot of clicks to use. Right now in Windows 10, changing IP adress is kind of a pain in the ass. I hope it requires fewer clicks in Windows 11.

Themes - Nice to see themes making a comeback. 

New "fancy zones" built in to the OS (snap layouts) - Really nice. As a 32:9 monitor user, this is a welcome change.

Teams - I hope it's a lightweight version, because if it's full-blown Teams then it's very much bloatware. I also hope you can turn it off even if it's a lightweight version. I don't think Teams for consumers will take off though like Microsoft hopes. People have already settled in on their preferred chat platforms, and making people change is extremely difficult since there is so much inertia. 

Widgets - Might be cool, but I doubt I'll use it.

New taskbar and start menu- Absolutely awful in every way possible. I can not express how much I hate it.

I hate that it has a massive "recommended" section. I hate that it's located in the middle of the screen. I hate how low information density it has. I hate how the start menu will move around on the task bar depending on how many programs you got open (so it is impossible to train any type of muscle memory).

New on-screen keyboard - Meh, who cares? Does anyone actually use that keyboard?

Improvements to multiple desktops - This is neat. I'll probably still not use it, but giving it more customization options will make it more useful.

Auto HDR - Seems alright. I hope it works well.

Windows updates 40% smaller and happens in the background - THANK YOU! It will remain to be seen how this works out in practice but it sounds good. I really hope they manage to make the update system better. 

Faster, more energy efficient and and more secure - Sounds good but I'd like to know how they have accomplished this.

Snap groups - This feels like one of those features that are cool to demo, but will rarely if ever actually be used by anyone. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I change my work layout all the time. I constantly move windows around and open and close new programs. It feels like snap groups would rarely be useful for me, and if a feature I rarely use is easy to accidentally click, and takes up space near the task bar then it will just be annoying. I hope you can turn it off.

Better multi-monitor support (windows minimize when disconnected and returns when you plug it in again) - This is fantastic. This feature is long overdue. I'll love this when I dock and undock my laptop at work.

Microsoft Store - Everything about the new store sounds good. I hope it turns out that it is actually good, and that people start using it.

I really like the idea of "stores within the Microsoft Store". 

New design - Overall I like the new design. The new icons looks nice. The new animations seems smooth and satisfying. I like that the glass effects are back.

A bunch of Xbox things like Game Pass are now integrated into Windows - I sure hope you can uninstall the Xbox app. I don't want this on my computer.

DirectStorage - I thought this was something that would come to Windows 10. Oh well...

Android apps on Windows - This sounds really good at first. I would love to have some of my Android apps on my PC.

The problem is that it is coming through the Amazon app store. The Amazon app store is terrible. It enforces Amazon's own DRM on the apps but most importantly, if they are delivering it from the Amazon app store then the Android VM/emulator in Windows will most likely not have GMS. That means that A LOT of apps will simply not work. 

The overall event - Kinda bad. Was this filmed live? Because it feels like it. A lot of people were stumbling on their words, everyone felt really nervous and tense. 

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

New on-screen keyboard - Meh, who cares? Does anyone actually use that keyboard?

Yes, when using as a tablet. Would be better if 2-in-1 were lighter but that is a different problem.

6 hours ago, Levent said:

Doesnt even load/work for me.

Not functional on all platforms.  Hmm.. may want a list of what platforms it fails on.  Might matter. It makes sense for microsoft to list the good but not the bad and there was a lot of bad in windows 10.  I expect people will be finding awful bits for some time.  Like that asinine decision to put safe mode beyond all but the most determined reach, or that thing where some relevant monitors just aren’t supported.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Most important takeaway was not even spoken about by the presenters; Online Microsoft account REQUIRED for Windwos 11 Home.

On one hand, that will probably mean that Win 11 Home will be free, since the telemetry baked into Windows is already big money-maker for MS, and people will eat up anything that they can have for free*, regardless of how many asterisks follow the word.

I suspect that the telemetry tools will be much more robust in Win 11, but I'll have to get my hands on it to see for sure.

The double-speak from the presenters was almost laughable. Satya saying how much he cares about user agency while demoing TikTok (Chinese communist party malware). Panos also said that the news feed was "AI Powered" to curate news feeds for you - from a company that runs an onpenly partisan news comapny (MSNBC)... totally about user agency.

I wonder how much cotrol users will ahve over these "features".

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Thoughts, in no particular order:

New settings - Looked nice when it flashed by in the video. It remains to be seen how easy it is to work with though. It doesn't matter if something looks nice if it requires a lot of clicks to use. Right now in Windows 10, changing IP adress is kind of a pain in the ass. I hope it requires fewer clicks in Windows 11.

Themes - Nice to see themes making a comeback. 

New "fancy zones" built in to the OS (snap layouts) - Really nice. As a 32:9 monitor user, this is a welcome change.

Teams - I hope it's a lightweight version, because if it's full-blown Teams then it's very much bloatware. I also hope you can turn it off even if it's a lightweight version. I don't think Teams for consumers will take off though like Microsoft hopes. People have already settled in on their preferred chat platforms, and making people change is extremely difficult since there is so much inertia. 

Widgets - Might be cool, but I doubt I'll use it.

New taskbar and start menu- Absolutely awful in every way possible. I can not express how much I hate it.

I hate that it has a massive "recommended" section. I hate that it's located in the middle of the screen. I hate how low information density it has. I hate how the start menu will move around on the task bar depending on how many programs you got open (so it is impossible to train any type of muscle memory).

Improvements to multiple desktops - This is neat. I'll probably still not use it, but giving it more customization options will make it more useful.

Auto HDR - Seems alright. I hope it works well.

Windows updates 40% smaller and happens in the background - THANK YOU! It will remain to be seen how this works out in practice but it sounds good. I really hope they manage to make the update system better. 

Faster, more energy efficient and and more secure - Sounds good but I'd like to know how they have accomplished this.

Snap groups - This feels like one of those features that are cool to demo, but will rarely if ever actually be used by anyone. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I change my work layout all the time. I constantly move windows around and open and close new programs. It feels like snap groups would rarely be useful for me, and if a feature I rarely use is easy to accidentally click, and takes up space near the task bar then it will just be annoying. I hope you can turn it off.

Better multi-monitor support (windows minimize when disconnected and returns when you plug it in again) - This is fantastic. This feature is long overdue. I'll love this when I dock and undock my laptop at work.

Microsoft Store - Everything about the new store sounds good. I hope it turns out that it is actually good, and that people start using it.

New design - Overall I like the new design. The new icons looks nice. The new animations seems smooth and satisfying. I like that the glass effects are back.

The new store stuff may actually make the most functional difference society wise.   There’s a whole lot of allowances that haven’t been made before in any store some of which can affect margin a lot.  Sounds like this was developed with the assumption that Apple would get pwned in court.  It may make a big difference about how all online stores are done.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.