How do I stop a car stuck going full speed ahead?

Suppose this happened: The spring got damaged and now the car is stuck at full speed ahead. What to do? Or what do I have to install to cut air to the engine in a situation like this?

If you can shift to neutral, do it. If you lost your brakes, and power steering, you may have to pull the keys and engage the emergency brake. 

But pretty much always shift into neutral if you have a runaway engine.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Install a 12v battery kill-switch inside the car, 90% of serious race cars have them, for just such a reason.  *click* engine shuts off, if done properly.

24 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

Suppose this happened: The spring got damaged and now the car is stuck at full speed ahead. What to do? Or what do I have to install to cut air to the engine in a situation like this?

Depends on why - if the throttle is stuck, just pop the car into neutral (and if possible then shut the engine off).

If the throttle is stuck, and a series of catastrophic failures happen that mean your transmission is stuck in drive, and your ignition system is also stuck, then your best bet is probably a soft crash. Drive into a field with tall grass, slightly sloping hill, etc - essentially you need to overcome the power of the engine/traction and make the car "stuck" onto something. But if you're in this situation, you're probably fucked. Though let's be clear, for all of these failures to happen, that's very unlikely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I've had this happen to me 20 some years ago, something to remember that when you turn off the key you may also be locking your steering wheel in position as well, you won't be able to turn it anymore.  Something to check on your personal vehicle while your still parked.  Putting the shifter in neutral is first step then worry about turning it off and slowing down. Most cars with vacuum assisted brakes are also going to lose the power assist on your brakes when either the engine is turned off or stuck wide open.  

Depending on the car.. a lot of manufacturer's put the ECU within reach of passengers, you could in theory unplug it to kill the engine.  There isn't really a good or best thing to do in that sort of crazy situation.  Only if the vehicle is setup properly with fail-safes would there be anything you could do 'safely'.

36 minutes ago, James Evens said:

You still have the clutch and transmission?

I have an automatic.

OP, if you are posting this from inside a speeding car, I must commend you on your icy calm. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Happened to me shortly after learning to drive. Fortunately the car didn't have a lot of power, so could slow it down pretty well with the brakes and turn off the engine and coast to a halt. To get going again, put it in first, keep clutch depressed, start the engine and release the clutch. Fortunately I wasn't far from home when it happened. 

It shouldn't be possible for the throttle to stick open with drive by wire throttle, which is just about any car built in the last 15-20 years. If it is stuck on a modern car, you should probably check the mat... From the auto point of view I guess if it's old enough to have a cable throttle, it's old enough to have a physical connection from shifter to box, so I don't see why you couldn't shift into neutral?

I have to say putting it in neutral isn't a great idea either, chances are if the engine is running away, it will blow and then you lose power brakes, power steering, possibly oil coming out and all over the windshield......But if you have no choice then do as you must of course.

BTW I've had it happen before. 

It took me a few tries (71 Chevelle SS) and it went to lock each time but finally got it off without locking the steering and stopped it safely.
There is a decent to good chance, based on the actual keylock mechanism it has as it was in my case you could go all the way back to "Lock" but if you don't panic, you can get it shut off without locking the steering wheel.
Most vehicles today don't have the same (Clunky) lock setup, it's much easier to get it off without locking the wheel.

If you do lock the wheel, just turn it back "On" and try again - And bear in mind this could blow out a muffler in the process (Sounds like a shotgun going off in the car - And I should know  😁) but better than losing all the assist and the engine....
But I will say if you gotta blow it, then neutral it is since even that is better than certain collision/wreck.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 hour ago, si1enze said:

Depending on the car.. a lot of manufacturer's put the ECU within reach of passengers, you could in theory unplug it to kill the engine.  There isn't really a good or best thing to do in that sort of crazy situation.  Only if the vehicle is setup properly with fail-safes would there be anything you could do 'safely'.

As someone that works on cars everyday including often working on the ECU I can confidently say this is NOT the case. It would be extremely tough to unplug almost any ecu while also keeping control of a speeding car. The right answer here is to turn the key back to accessory, this will turn off the motor while not locking the steering wheel, also you cant turn the ignition completely off while the car is still in gear, That will turn off the motor and then you can simply brake with the foot brake or ebrake and stop safely. Now if the car is push to start the answer changes somewhat.

4 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

It would be extremely tough to unplug almost any ecu while also keeping control of a speeding car.

Well yeah, hypothetical situation and all.  What do you think would happen if you unplugged the ECU on a running EFI car ?  ECU tells the coil when to fire, no?

1 hour ago, si1enze said:

Well yeah, hypothetical situation and all.  What do you think would happen if you unplugged the ECU on a running EFI car ?  ECU tells the coil when to fire, no?

Oh it would definitely kill the motor and a lot of other systems, its just unlikely to be able to be done on many vehicles

22 hours ago, James Evens said:

Bad idea. Pulling the keys means the steering lock will engage.

Bold of you to assume my econobox has a steering lock. (Hint: it doesn’t) 😅

I drive manual, so I’d probably press clutch, go to neutral, and cut the engine to keep it away from the limiter, if I’m on the freeway. At speed, steering is easier until you slow, though you’ll lose power brakes fairly quickly. 

On a downhill, I’d cut the engine while still in gear, which will provide engine braking to help with slowing down without power brakes. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 5/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, si1enze said:

Install a 12v battery kill-switch inside the car, 90% of serious race cars have them, for just such a reason.  *click* engine shuts off, if done properly.

Nope, installing a 12v kill switch will only cut off your battery but the car is running off the alternator power while turned on. When i was younger and couldn't afford a new battery i removed the old battery and would always park on a hill and bump-start my car and it would run fine because the alternator was what powered the thing. Did the same thing when my starter went out like a year later till i could afford one. But i digress to have an effective kill switch you would need to kill the spark, this was easy with cars that had a distributor but in newer cars with the coil on plug crap you have to trace back the line for the crank position sensor and install a switch into that and usually if the car doesn't get a signal from the CPS it will not spark thus killing a runaway engine. For a diesel engine its more difficult because they don't have spark and a lot have mechanical fuel pumps, in that case the best option is to block the intake remotely as blocking the exhaust enough to kill the engine could create an explosive situation. So you could install a door in the intake that you could control via manual cable or electronic switch.

But the easiest option for any car is to put the car in neutral and get it to stop then pop the hood and block the intake with your hand or a rag or shirt till it dies. Also brakes are required law to be separate system and they have to be manually controlled. So like a tesla that has 1 pedal driving you hardly ever use the brake but if you push the brake it doesn't do some electronic braking it is still the same normal hydraulic brake that every car uses and no matter the situation short of the brake line being cut the brake will function if depressed.

Now if your brakes are shot and the ebrake is shot too then you could do a few things all of which are not ideal and will result in expensive damages. If there are other cars on the road you can try and rear end the fastest one thus resulting in your initial impact being as minimal as possible and they will then use their brakes to slow that crash train down to a stop. Or you could use the guardrails to slow the car enough to ram the car into a strong light pole or a tree. but again not ideal and expensive and there will be injuries very likely.

If done properly meant it would disconnect the alternator, but yeah.

1 hour ago, N1tro199 said:

Aim for the closest tree

collisions with trees are actually some of the deadliest because the tree doesnt move so you take all the force. its better to collide with a parked car or something else that gives way though the downside to that is you potentially have to pay for damages

On 5/20/2021 at 9:11 PM, James Evens said:

Bad idea. Pulling the keys means the steering lock will engage.

Don't pull the keys, just turn the engine off.

Leave it in gear, this will keep the engine pulling a vacuum so the the servo assisted breaks will still work.

It will also keep the power steering pump (9/10 times) working so you can still steer.

Reason for not doing "x":

Putting in neutral (with engine off): Pulls no vacuum, might run out of reservoir to assist breaking.

Putting in neutral (with engine on): Rev limiters sound like shyte, most likely to annoy you into crashing the car just to "make it shut up".

Overcome the engine with brakes: Whilst this might work initially, you are likely to overheat things and cause a spongy brake pedal/poor response.

The main thing is to not panic, and any time I have had a stuck throttle, just slapping the pedal down hard and quickly freed it enough to continue the journey until it was safe to investigate.

As far as "adding" a cut of switch, it really depends on vehicle age. Unless you have a mechanical fuel pump* on a an old diesel engine, cutting the ignition-system/injector/fuel-pump power will bring things to a halt.

*In this case your "emergency cut off" will be a literal tap on the fuel line.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:02 PM, si1enze said:

nstall a 12v battery kill-switch inside the car, 90% of serious race cars have them, for just such a reason.  *click* engine shuts off, if done properly.

Thats suppose to go on the power leading to the fuel pump. If the engine has no fuel it wont run. ChrisFix has a video on how to do it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Another method is in how a runaway diesel is shut down, just block/close off the air intake.
No air, it can't run.

It's possible to create a solenoid actuated cover/flap that cuts off air going in for that purpose.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, 38034580 said:

I have an automatic.

Then you have a transmission which can be put in neutral.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

On 5/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, 38034580 said:

Suppose this happened:

This has happened, there are videos out that inform you what to do in this situation.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Potentially dangerous idea... tiny explosive charges on all wheel nuts.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580