Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Linus needs to attempt to build a diy powerwall..

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Hi LTT.

i have a nice Green ( save the Planet ) Idea for a video...

can you make a Retro-Video What to do with Old PC's / parts. like in your Dusty attic? :P

or re-use parts on new pc ? there are upgrade sets to Boost a old pc or use them on a new 

and what can you use them for ?

i think if there is a way to save and re-use before ending in the trash ? 

hope to see this video here in the Netherlands :P

Do a video on if the GTX 960 or the GTX 1060 is still worth it in 2019 when we have the new rtx cards

I am probably a nerd that loves tech.

How about an open challenge to the office to build a Stealth PC. (things that should not be pc's)

Set a decent budget.

Cameras can follow each person involved like a reality show to record progress and failures/ challenges they have to overcome with their design.

And no retro game system chassis.

Lets see how creative your team can be!

We, the viewers can vote on the winner. ;)

For motivation from just some random guy my HTPC.....

Pics show her with; 15-7500T, Noctura low profile cooler, Gigabyte H170TN, 16GB ram, 960 Evo 250GB M.2.

She has been upgraded with i7-8600, 16GB Vengence 3200Mhz RGB, Z390 Phantom ITX.

Front mount USB's 3.0, cockpit has PWR/ HDD etc LEDs and PW/ Reset switches.

20171107_203940_zpsje1tulx5.JPG

20171107_204001_zps1rh80uiq (1).JPG

20171107_204540_zpsuiw3ng4f.JPG

On 4/5/2019 at 2:26 PM, PrincessHeinz57 said:

I need more Yvonne. She did a great job with the "Apple are you okay?" video. I love her personality and to be honest she is easier on the eyes than you guys ? Just kidding. Please encourage her and tell her we love her and she did a great job. I hope to see more from her soon, maybe tech marketed at girls?

Same here. I kinda wish Max had stayed long enough to take a shot at hosting an video :(

I want to know the state of VR gaming on Linux. Last I tried, I got massive input lag and decided Linux isn't quite ready yet. Before I give it another go, I want to know that there's been made some significant progress.

Is ChromeOS the future of Linux ? 

in recent years chrome os has significantly  increase in popularity thanks to it's cheap price and wide use in schools

But it was always just a browser , thats until Google decided to add android apps to the os which make  the os suddenly 1000 percent more usable 

and Google didn't stop there , i like to imagine that there was someone in google who suddenly remembered that chrome os is based on linux , As google recently introduced Linux apps support to chrome os , which open the gates for a triple A games and a lot of photo editing and video editing Full Apps  not mobile apps 

My suggestion for the video is trying to push Chrome os to it's limit

by using 2 different methods

first is by using first party chrome laptop and trying android apps and linux apps or even gaming on it

2nd is by using FydeOS ( a chromium based os which is the only chromium os that support android apps ) and doing the same test on high end PC 

also debating the question " Is chrome os the future of 2 in 1 " as chrome os have a lot of potential for convertables as it's support android apps and full apps 

i think that Google could really make a difference in the 2 in 1 industry as they are the only company which has an os that include a lot of mobile apps and support for productive level apps , they just need to be serious about it and optimize it really well before releasing a laggy thing " looking at you pixel slate 

On 4/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, MohamedxSalah said:

Is ChromeOS the future of Linux ? 

in recent years chrome os has significantly  increase in popularity thanks to it's cheap price and wide use in schools

But it was always just a browser , thats until Google decided to add android apps to the os which make  the os suddenly 1000 percent more usable 

and Google didn't stop there , i like to imagine that there was someone in google who suddenly remembered that chrome os is based on linux , As google recently introduced Linux apps support to chrome os , which open the gates for a triple A games and a lot of photo editing and video editing Full Apps  not mobile apps 

My suggestion for the video is trying to push Chrome os to it's limit

by using 2 different methods

first is by using first party chrome laptop and trying android apps and linux apps or even gaming on it

2nd is by using FydeOS ( a chromium based os which is the only chromium os that support android apps ) and doing the same test on high end PC 

also debating the question " Is chrome os the future of 2 in 1 " as chrome os have a lot of potential for convertables as it's support android apps and full apps 

i think that Google could really make a difference in the 2 in 1 industry as they are the only company which has an os that include a lot of mobile apps and support for productive level apps , they just need to be serious about it and optimize it really well before releasing a laggy thing " looking at you pixel slate 

Here's to some Linux for the Chrome gods ;)

LINUX WITH CHROME OS ~ even gaming!

I have not yet played around with this myself, but it seems Google has yet to work-out kinks like bugs when OS-switching, driver support, and hardware optimization.

Some tutorials, guides, and videos for those interested in installing & running Linux on their Chomebook or Chrome OS tablet:

Dry ice sublimates at around -80C, water would freeze at this temperature, but ethanol wouldn't.

So, in a cold resistant glass tub, put in chunks of dry ice and something that resembles pure ethanol (200 proof being the best, but if you can't get it, acetone would also work, failing that extremely high proof vodka would probably also work (For full list of liquids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_bath). And use a ultra low temp pump (there are commercial ones available, so you don't have to make your own) to pump this solution through a CPU block and put it back into the glass tub. Add dry ice as needed to achieve cheap semi-permanent -80C rig.

Or alternatively to avoid doing all that pumps and tubing and whatnot, just run a loop with alcohol and stick the radiator in a big tub of alcohol + dry ice and to hell with it and see what happens. Get the benchmarks before the pump breaks or the tubes freeze. This is much easier to do.

The benefits are: dry ice is cheap and the coolant is cheap and recycled. You would get ultra low temps (not quite LN2 but easily achievable compared to having the specialty gear and skill and constant focus and attention to work a LN2 rig) semi-permanently. It also circulates the coolant which LN2 rigs don't tend to do. Further, no one on YouTube has done this yet, so it'd be novel (actually I think JayzTwoCents did a video with the dry ice coolant in a LN2 setup with no circulation, and it was leaking acetone all over the place because he did it with a LN2 setup and LN2 setups are designed for a nonconductive, easily evaporated liquid but acetone doesn't evaporate).

The cons are: You face issues with condensation as with LN2 (you might need some of the heating setups LN2 requires), the rubber tubes and O Rings might freeze solid, so you might have to use copper and low temperature sealant. Dry Ice + alcohol is also much more dangerous to handle than LN2 due to the Leidenfrost effect.

P.S. You can get water ice baths to go crazy low temps by adding salt and brine (down to -40C at times), it'd be interesting to see what the rig featured in the tap water cooling video would get if you just add some salt to the tub with ice water, that could be a video by itself too (more details in the wiki link above)...

Please make Dell 7530 review

Thanks!

Apparently there's VR mask.. That promises to deliver smell too. This has to be fake.

Kickstarter though so eh. You never know:

Feelreal VR Mask

feelreal-sensory-mask-20190410.jpg

Some old/weird stuff revisited.

For example Radeon 7970 vs. GTX 680

Or even older 5870 vs 480

You could combine that with a Pentium D vs. Athlon 64 X2.

A bit less useles would be Phenom 2 X4 (955) vs. Core 2 Quad 9k Series.

Or just use old GPUs from the time as well. Something like:
"oh, Linus, look what I've found here" *cough* (because of dust, blow dust away) and use that 2005 high(er) End System with Todays games and look if it can run Crysis :)

But I think the older stuff would be funnier. 
Especially since many people here might not know about it.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 4/9/2019 at 10:02 PM, StackUnderflow said:

Dry ice sublimates at around -80C, water would freeze at this temperature, but ethanol wouldn't.

Spoiler

So, in a cold resistant glass tub, put in chunks of dry ice and something that resembles pure ethanol (200 proof being the best, but if you can't get it, acetone would also work, failing that extremely high proof vodka would probably also work (For full list of liquids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooling_bath). And use a ultra low temp pump (there are commercial ones available, so you don't have to make your own) to pump this solution through a CPU block and put it back into the glass tub. Add dry ice as needed to achieve cheap semi-permanent -80C rig.

Or alternatively to avoid doing all that pumps and tubing and whatnot, just run a loop with alcohol and stick the radiator in a big tub of alcohol + dry ice and to hell with it and see what happens. Get the benchmarks before the pump breaks or the tubes freeze. This is much easier to do.

Spoiler

The benefits are: dry ice is cheap and the coolant is cheap and recycled. You would get ultra low temps (not quite LN2 but easily achievable compared to having the specialty gear and skill and constant focus and attention to work a LN2 rig) semi-permanently. It also circulates the coolant which LN2 rigs don't tend to do. Further, no one on YouTube has done this yet, so it'd be novel (actually I think JayzTwoCents did a video with the dry ice coolant in a LN2 setup with no circulation, and it was leaking acetone all over the place because he did it with a LN2 setup and LN2 setups are designed for a nonconductive, easily evaporated liquid but acetone doesn't evaporate).

The cons are: You face issues with condensation as with LN2 (you might need some of the heating setups LN2 requires), the rubber tubes and O Rings might freeze solid, so you might have to use copper and low temperature sealant. Dry Ice + alcohol is also much more dangerous to handle than LN2 due to the Leidenfrost effect.

P.S. You can get water ice baths to go crazy low temps by adding salt and brine (down to -40C at times), it'd be interesting to see what the rig featured in the tap water cooling video would get if you just add some salt to the tub with ice water, that could be a video by itself too (more details in the wiki link above)...

Have you suggested this on the official "Cooling PC with Kitchen Sink?" thread?

Cuz I did mention dry ice in my post, but you do a much better job of comparing pros & cons ?

9 hours ago, Furiku said:

Apparently there's VR mask.. That promises to deliver smell too. This has to be fake.

Kickstarter though so eh. You never know:

Feelreal VR Mask

Spoiler

feelreal-sensory-mask-20190410.jpg

Oh it's real alright (it's also transforming the human race to look ever more like robots):

2018-12-27-image-14.jpg

https://feelreal.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/feelreal/feelreal

There's testimonials though it does not look like anybody has gotten one yet. ?

But seriously, the tech is real:

Spoiler

And so are haptic suits, gloves, mech-suits, and omni-derictional treadmills:

Spoiler

teslasuit-full-body-haptic-720x720.jpg

C7Vl-gtWkAAkj-Y.jpg

https://www.dextarobotics.com/

https://teslasuit.io/

https://slate.com/technology/2017/03/jeff-bezos-piloted-a-robot-from-hankook-mirae-technology.html

https://vitalybulgarov.com/hankook-mirae-technology

https://www.infinadeck.com/

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Some old/weird stuff revisited.

For example Radeon 7970 vs. GTX 680

Or even older 5870 vs 480

You could combine that with a Pentium D vs. Athlon 64 X2.

A bit less useles would be Phenom 2 X4 (955) vs. Core 2 Quad 9k Series.

Or just use old GPUs from the time as well. Something like:
"oh, Linus, look what I've found here" *cough* (because of dust, blow dust away) and use that 2005 high(er) End System with Todays games and look if it can run Crysis :)

I remember Linus and company doing a video or two on things like, "10 years of graphics", souping-up a Core 2 Quad PC with a GTX 750ti, and testing weak SLI setups:

Spoiler

But combos of older hardware compared to the performance of newer stuff would be cool too! 

Like dual-GPU cards with Linus and Riley back in Circa 2011-2014 :D

Spoiler

TITAN Z vs. R9 298x2 vs. Radeon Pro Duo (original) vs. GTX 1080 vs. GTX 980TI:

Great ideas everyone! ?

how about a channel and videos channelsupergeek. with very detailed videos, like how you on fp just released that cool new idea with you and Anthony. geek it out to minor detail and put it on channelsupergeek or an editing 101 by terrain. or a fan favourite host does lighting and camera or setting up a stream in 2019. 

you do so many videos and with fp growing and let's face it ltt is were we get our geek on. 

to err is human, to really mess things up requires an IP.

I’m guessing what you should review next would go here. 

If you do another handy tech under 100, I bought this cool iPad looking tablet for $30~ US

You draw on it with a hard plastic nonfunctional stylus and can erase the screen with the button. It’s simple but like, without needing paper you can jot stuff down. I play tabletop wargames so when I need to write down points, or what my army will be from a roster in a tournament, I can do it quickly. It’s small so it doesn’t take up a lot of space & it’s so simple, it doesn’t need to power on/off  AND it can’t have any bugs. It has literally 2 functions. Draw & erase screen. 

/NotPostFarming :P

Maybe do an "internet security basics for dummies"

IE passwords, what to not download, some basic stuff that is really obvious. (Not to call the number on the pop up that declares you have a virus.) and other stuff that people can show the less technically inclined people. The ones that don't know the difference between windows & mac because they just know what the internet icon looks like.

How about a review of the Tommox USB Type C PD Charger with a Qualcomm, Quickcharge 3.0 USB Port and 2, Type A 2.4A up to 12W IQ2 type ports... 

Amazon Link, not sure why it's so long...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Delivery-MacBook-Nintendo-Samsung/dp/B078WQDFMV/ref=pd_sbs_0_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078WQDFMV&pd_rd_r=8b0bd6ed-5d26-11e9-aa99-41356e6fd336&pd_rd_w=5s4HN&pd_rd_wg=kPjmo&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_rd_r=0G0YYEFQJMNXGJAK5660&psc=1&refRID=0G0YYEFQJMNXGJAK5660

Oh, and it comes with a FREE USB type C cable!

tommox.jpg

Edited by DomE179 - Nik117D - Domnik
Formatting; making it pretty

One more suggestion today.

Scrapyard wars Community Edition:
Select random members or highly praised/moderator selected members from the forum to participate in a scrapyard wars scenario.

Hi 

Suggestion on topic.

I have seen that you have been making a few videos with cheap parts from china, my idea would be:

Review some of the cheap 10gig sfp+ and HBA cards from china, that you can buy on ebay.

Combine with cheap prices for cable and transcivers

They are all brand names and most look the same, but are they really knock offs that you should stay away from or are the hidden bargains

They might not be much cheaper than in the US, but to us from the rest of the world it is, because of cheap shipping and almost no taxes. (They "sometimes" put on a lower value on the declaration)

image.png.a2a1fea3953162a092991bfe4a9be51b.png

Could the crew do a video on usb dongle capabilities as well as recommendations? Looking to expand my laptops USB ports to allowing me to have more connections.

4 minutes ago, xHamster52x said:

Could the crew do a video on usb dongle capabilities as well as recommendations? Looking to expand my laptops USB ports to allowing me to have more connections.

It would be kind of neat to see a video on docking stations for Thunderbolt equipped laptops. Otherwise a more general video on the "most helpful dongles for USB Type C equipped laptops" might be cool too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not exactly a video suggestion but when doing videos, products presented should be available in most of the world. Because it's often that here in UK when I go over the link for a certain products, it's either not available or a load more over the price in US

30 days of Linux. 

Get one of your writers who has little to no experience with Linux to use it exclusively for 30 days. Have his computer at work have Linux and give him a gaming laptop or a good desktop to use at home with Linux installed. 

You could do 4 videos with various updates on how the transition is working. You could hit key topics like work productivity, gaming, personal use (music listening, movies, web browsing), and an overview of the pros and cons of being in a Linux environment. See how far he could get and if he gets hung up with any major issues. 

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

It may have been suggested before or sound terrible but as you are trying things like concrete in water cooling, what about a water cooling system filled with thermal paste? Or some slightly watered down version at least.