Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

, IgorsLabs,

wasnt there some bias going on there? like Igor making biased reviews for more money, sponsors with false reviews etc?

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, Blqckout said:

wasnt there some bias going on there? like Igor making biased reviews for more money, sponsors with false reviews etc?

First I'm hearing of this. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like a reference for it if you have one. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First I'm hearing of this. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd like a reference for it if you have one. 

sure ill update when i find one!

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

alright i cant find really, might have been a random post by a person who just didnt like their reviews, my bad!

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Honeybadger but even a lot more bonkers, 21 m.2s on a dual board card:

https://apex-storage-design.webflow.io/apexstoragex21

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

After watching last WAN show, I came to conclusion that there should be a tech channel or video series that is making "fake product" reviews and commercials that point out stagnant state of some tech. Like for example how a 2020's printer should look like, how sharing files between phones should look like today and so on. The difference from the other fake commercial channels would be that it would be about how it should be like rather than comedy/sarcasm effect.

This could become a really good place to generate various content as well as maybe finding starting routes for new merch and partnerships like:

• Imagine an episode where LMG designs and 3d prints or solders a fake motherboard with all the features you want from ideal board for the fake product review. They would have to dig into various specs of various industry standards and could piece by piece explain the restrictions that board vendors need to work around and maybe discard some with explanation how limiting that is when designing a board while at this point may not be necessary anymore.
  • designing a custom cooling unit for steam deck, but in "professional manner" as back plate replacement with bulge in the middle where stuff is fitting properly enclosed, and then after good response from community maybe partnering up with some accessory vendors to make something like that?
  • making fake UI/UX experience for some phone or desktop PC scenarios and comparing it to current problems and then making merch that jokes about the issue being still not resolved for over 20 years etc.
  • designing game pads, steering wheels, joysticks or couch boards etc so there could be a additional content showing off how it was made

The difference from DIY project videos that LMG already makes is that those fake products should be made in a way that they look professionally made and not janky DIY projects, so both they could be neat clickbaits for people who don't know LMG to come onboard, but it should be of course stated at some point that it's a fake product commercial/review. The added value would or could be that showing problems of designing the product in specific market/niche, restrictions around it, how the professional quality of the product effect is achieved, how it was faked in the video etc.

This will of course cost more than other everyday reviews of the product and talking head videos, but it's unique content idea and potentially a cookie clicker situation where more money generates more money, and building moats meaning others will have hard time catching up while you already have a pipeline for doing stuff like this.

I’ve seen a lot of old commercial thunderbolt socks on Craigslist recently, think like old Dell or HP socks for company laptops. It would be interesting to see if these are compatible with different laptops. If I got a new laptop and wanted to get a dock, am I safe with getting these older used company docks, or should I get a new dock from someone like CalDigit?

Hey,

There's a new motherboard from ASUS with an interesting feature that might be worth a video: ASUS B760M-BTF. All its connectors are on the underside of the board. Builds should look much cleaner. Really good to show off a sponsored part. Could be presented either on ShortCircuit, a build video, to quote a few ideas.

After today's SSD shaming in the LLT video, Linus needs to restore the PCMR reputation with this.
I hope Linus honors this request and don't let us down, the console peasants need to know whats up.

I present you Apex Storage X21

Raw Capacity** - 168TB w/ 8TB M.2 NVME SSD’s (336TB w/ future 16TB M.2 SSD’s)
Drive Interface - M.2 PCIe Gen 4
Read Bandwidth - 30.5 GBps
Read/WriteIOPS - 10 Million +
Avg Read Access Latency - 79µs
Avg Write Access Latency - 52µs
Host Protocol - PCIe Gen 4 16x
Write Bandwidth - 28.5GBps
M.2 Protocol - Gen4 NVME v2.0/v1.4c
Warranty - Lifetime
Weight - 19 oz

@Nisco3000 I have merged your thread into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

A couple of dumb ideas.   

I was wishing that I owned an ipKVM a few days ago but ended up realizing that I have an XBOne with an HDMI input that I haven't used in years. (Cheaper than buying something).   Last I checked, this device will "work" out of box with the remoting software to give you remote video, but I wonder how far it can be taken.   Is it able to be modded to the point where it's an webpage server with a login & is able to pass through all options for KVM? & would it be possible to have it do remote storage as well?  (also, with other fun mods, could it do remote hardware power management?  Could it be connected to a multi KVM switch and offer control of multiple systems?)

Another thought....

I have never seen a USB to iSCSI device...   I'd like to and from what I've seen, it's entirely possible to make a small USB device with fast networking, backed by a NAS, that masquerades as a "USB Mass Storage device" to something else.   (Like an xbox)   I came up with the idea when wondering why I should purchase a storage upgrade for my console when I have a decent NAS with plenty of storage handy.

It would be amazing if this could be taken to the extreme with some way of expanding storage on the Xbox Series line of consoles via the Storage Expansion port. 

To do that, I imagine you'd need ridiculously fast storage and maybe even some tiered caching with some SSDs in line simply because of network latency.

If these get picked up, I'd like a message to make sure I don't miss it.  I watch often but you never know.

Video Idea :
There is a modified version of windows 11 called Tiny11 that is completely debloated and only uses 1.8 gb of ram.

The maker of this version even made a tutorial on how to make it yourself if you don't feel comfortable using his ISO images.

It would be interesting to see a performance and gaming comparison between it and normal windows 11.. to see exactly how much performance can you gain by using a stripped down version of windows.

I really need a video on how to rip my DVD's to my plex or jellyfin server. I have looked at a lot of videos and they arent that simple or clear. This is a problem a lot of people internationally, where access to streaming services are limited, really have a hard time with. This would be useful, an actual Linus Tech Tip.

Hi.

I have a idea for cpu cooling video.

Compressed nitrogen CPU cooling.

Hire a bank lof nitrogen 250ltr. Hire as you only pay for the gas not the bottles.

Hire a regulator and hoses 

Make/modify a cpu block to fit a hose, trying brazing a stabbing on and get a compression fitting to male hose adapter. (Swaglok, duolock etc)

Then you can use the joules Thompson principal to cool the CPU. Plus the added effect of the nitrogen displacement will force out the humid normal air preventing condensation on components.

Aviation Headsets. Long time viewer and I know that pilot equipment isn't exactly everyday tech... but aviation headsets are an area of a lot of debate. There are only 3 high end options out there for us pilots.

The Bose A20, Lightspeed Zulu 3 and delta Zulu, and David Clark DC One-X. If you ask any pilot that owns one of the three they will typically say the one they own is the best and for not much reason beyond that.

I would love to have some actual data from your new headphone testing equipment that can show the differences of the three. Active noise canceling is extremely important to keep our hearing, and comfort is a must as were wearing them for extended periods of time. Also we wear sunglasses, is one set better for glasses than others? Thank you for reading.

How to optimize a pc by getting rid of software and other things you dont need. How to determine if its ok to get rid of something on the pc.  

Motorcycle airbag tech.

more sim rig gear reviews 

I've gone into a rabbit hole off the back of the server heating a pool news (Tiny data centre used to heat public swimming pool - BBC News) and found something called Heata (heata | harnessing heat from cloud compute) it seems to be a UK start-up looking to attach servers to a homes hot water tank to provide free hot water. I think this could be a great topic for an LTT or tech quickie, especially after Linus tried to heat his pool with his server rack.

I have an idea for a new video, regarding types of rugged portable data media / devices. These are supposed to be a cost-effective alternative and more secure than the standard external USB drives that all of us and other Youtubers use. Could you please post some DIY instructions, files to 3d print a DIY expansion case, DIY dedicated expansion PCB boards using nvme ssd drives and how we can service,..

The target users are of the mobile type: hikers, cyclists, motorcyclists, mini Jeep drivers :) and others...

You can make a comparison of different media by showing the good and bad features:

- USB hardware raid usb disk (https://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/sk-2520-u31),

- Raspberry PI - DIY (@JeffGeerling),

- Bought a mini portable NAS with multiple NAS/RAID disks (Synology DS419slim 2.5″ and others),

- Mini PC, additional DIY case, 2.5″ HDD/SSD or NVME, trueNAS,...

- Chromium box DIY - ,..

Other features that Youtube groups of users might need:

- several parallel SD-card readers / optional automatic archiving of inserted cards and repair of the file system,...

- Optional built-in mobile modem for mobile internet and wifi access point? (in the case of network hosting, the solution is not always the most suitable)

- Virtual OS for transferring video content to the server and the possibility of management via mobile phone,...

(in the case of donating some copies, I can suggest some users,... 🙂🙃 )

You should make a video on sound cards. I know you recently did a video on those scummy interference audiophile devices. But what about something like a sound card? Is it really worth it to spend 200 dollars on an "audiophile" grade sound card. Or is better to stick with a 40 dollar card. Or simply your on-board audio? I've been wanting to get a sound card but I'm afraid of all these devices that claim to offer audiophile tech. I just want a better experience with my nice premium headphones at the end of the day. 

By the way I love your content. I've been watching your videos for about a year now and I'm always waiting for the next one to roll out every day. So keep up the great work and all that. 

While not a suggestion for a specific video, it would be really helpful to have input from someone who is into rhythm, puzzle, or fighting games whenever keyboards come up in a review or showcase. Keyboard feel, and n key rollover are a much larger priority for people who are into these genres of games, especially when compared to the standard fps game. Presenters will often say they'd prefer to have a bad keyboard and a good mouse which makes sense for shooters but that's obviously not true for all types of gamers and it would be nice if that was reflected in videos better.

I'd love to see a final and solid sollution, how to transfer, 4K 120, at 12bit with 192khz Dolby Atmos over long (>10m) distance, got a lot of issues with that...

Travel to the UK to see behind the scenes at Eurovision. This year it's being hosted by the UK on behalf of Ukraine, the winner of last year's contest. The plethora of technology involved to make a production like this happen is fascinating to learn about, and you guys could have segments covering everything from arcane digital protocols like DMX to modern audio over network solutions (Dante by Audionate, for example) as well as looking at automation for entertainment. Not to mention power management, quick change equipment, and so on. And pyrotechnics. 

I think you would get a lot of views from Europeans looking for Eurovision content and personally it would be really cool to see my industry showcased on such a big media outlet as LMG. I work in theater, and have a greater than average interest in tech related to performances. Seeing as even I at my small theater have to handle everything from networking with "tour grade" switches for our lighting and audio to making arduino integrations in our performers costumes, I think there will be a lot of cool tech to show off related to Eurovision.

I mean, just open a moving light and see what's going on. It's a pretty cool combination of old manual functions with modern technology and automation. 

Your video on PC Audio product Scams got me wondering if you would consider examining something like the Zoom uac-232 or Rode NT-1 Generation 5. Consumer grade audio input devices with 32-bit SPL that deliver “unclippable” 32-bit float digital output. These devices claim to remove the need for a Gain knob because 32-bit SPL delivers a "Near infinite level of gain" allowing the user to reclaim in post clipped audio or boost quiet audio without introducting noise, if this is true it might be a new paradym in audio recording equiptment.