Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I just saw this video from DIY Perks:

Not sure if you like doing videos that are similar to other youtubers, but this looks like it's up the LTT alley.

Maybe try a different approach using a monochrome lcd for the 2nd display, or just try a brighter backlight or something?

Recently on Reddit, I found a post by a user looking at purchasing a computer from this company in the UK. They have a "Budget Gaming PC" line that reminded me of the "'Treasure Box' Gaming PC" video, except a lot more predatory. These people are selling computers with used 2nd-gen Core processors and GT 710 or GT 1030 GPUs in fairly new-looking cases with RGB fans for £200-£350. (They offer similar systems with other 10-series Nvidia cards for over £400.) 

I'm not really sure where to go with this, but it seems predatory. It would be cool to see an investigation to see what you actually get if you buy from them, if other companies are marketing near-e-waste systems as capable for gaming in 2023, etc. Or maybe I'm wrong, and there is some value here. That would be nice to see, too.

SCRAPYARD WARS 9

I know Luke said recently he thinks everything has been done with Scrapyard Wars but I have an idea..

Scrapyard Wars 9: One red paperclip edition.

The most challenging test yet for our heroes!

Each team starts with a single stick of ram and must trade up til they have a working computer than can run a modern game TBD.

Each team can use their influence and celebrity in person (no social media posts etc) and they have a longer time frame than usual. (1 to 2 weeks)

Are Luke and Linus up to the task? Can they make use of the kindness of strangers and fans effectively?

Can they build a working PC from a single stick of ram?  

Like this post and stay tuned!

AMD Multi GPU - Does it work in 2023?

We have tried multiple combinations of 2020-2022 AMD and Intel hardware with recent games and no benefit from GPU 2.  Attempted with 2X-6700XT and 2X-6800XT in AMD and Intel configs.

Make it work in a video and we will send you some Purity Peppermint Nobs from Newfoundland!

Cheers,

Lee and Darren

DiversionsNL.com

Linus and crew,

I'm writing to expose something I'm just now becoming aware of, a horrible practice by one of the mainstream PC manufacturers: did you know that if you buy an ASUS PC secondhand from a private party they won't let you register it and move it into your account? It's true! I can provide the receipts and there's more on Reddit.

Last week I bought a pretty beefy gaming laptop from a private seller off Facebook Marketplace. I did what any normal consumer would upon receipt: I created an account with ASUS on their site then set about transferring the machine from the old owner to me. I've done with Dell, HP... bunches of computers over the years. There's a process and you just need to figure out what it is.

And then, we come to ASUS. I chatted their support team and they said I needed to provide an invoice. I balked, letting them know it was purchased from a private seller all in cash, but they insisted they needed an invoice. So I whipped one up and submitted it last night. Today I received an email from them letting me know they won't accept it because it didn't come from an online retailer(!) with additional reasons. I'm more than happy to provide LTT with receipts of my conversations with ASUS, but also take a look at all these Reddit posts covering the same thing.

So that's it: ASUS has no process to deal with PCs bought and sold in the secondary market and if you didn't know that in advance you're S.O.L. like me.

-Submitted on my shiny new (to me) ASUS laptop I can't buy an extended warranty for. 🤬

Hello LMG people, I have a semi strange item i figured could be interesting to build a computer in, as a note all the number dials are actual buttons so something could be done with that

phone computer case.jpg

phone computer case1.jpg

phone computer case2.jpg

I would love to see you case swap an Alienware pc.  I have a Ryzen 7 5900 with a RTX 3080, and this R10 case does not provide the amount of cooling I need.  Thanks to dells custom MOBO and odd power supply, I have no idea how to pull it and put it in a better case.  I was thinking of getting a new MOBO and transfer things over, but if I did that, I figure I might as well go to AM5 and then I building a new PC anyways.  I just want some air flow. 

I'd like to see a video on streaming devices such as Roku, Firesticks, apple...etc, and how well/bad they perform vs the native apps on a smart TV, emphasis on the video quality specifically those marketed toward 4k. 

Thank you!

*Got this idea because of the gimmicky led immersion lights I've been seeing everywhere only work on streaming devices and not natively. I personally like the quality from my native apps over the firestick.

With so many people in LTT having cats, can you do a review or automatic cat toilets? I found some on YT but they are mostly sponsored.

Try the new Jiushark JF13k Diamond low profile air cooler. It has a rating of 265 Watts. It would be cool to see some benchmarks. The best thing is, it's pricing is 40$. So I think you guys should see this

IMG_20230316_111511.jpg

Make a video on why nobody buys AMD Video Cards? This video pointed out that 15% of the Steam Hardware Survey  uses AMD and most of that is iGPUs and Mobile. Few of them actually buy the add-in cards. Of which might be a clue why Nvidia has bad pricing. It might be a legacy of Nvidia being faster especially 12 years ago when Gameworks overtesslated Batman's cape and made the game performance bad on both platforms and worse on AMD or with PhysX again crippling performance if you don't have an Nvidia Card. A legacy of bad AMD Drivers that haven't been true or at least no more true for Nvidia (especially experience bloat) for at least 3 years. Is Raytracing that important? Is the imprint of "GTX=Goes fast because cars that go fast also have GTX on them" and now "RTX=Like GTX, but with Raytracing, so it traces rays and go fast" so strong it makes people not consider AMD?

Can you a Video about the new Ryzen lower end server CPUs like the AMD Ryzen R1600 or AMD Ryzen V1780B line-up and compare them against the Celeron ones from Intel, i'm sure there would be many people intrested in this topic as most of us probably won't buy an AMD Epic.

Also i think many people out there never heard about them as they are not anounced thought a big live show like the main stream products.

But they are quite present like in Synologys new 2023 line-up.

A link to amd.com product page for these new secretly published cpus

CryoUtilities for steamdeck... its a tool that mods ram/vram values in the OS, for more performance, would love to see your take on the subject... 

would be interesting to see labs compare their results to the authors... 

github linked below 

https://github.com/CryoByte33/steam-deck-utilities

original creators video 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:25 AM, Agterra said:

Hi all,

In a recent video, Linux pronunced the words "Be OS" and it rang a bell.

My uncle worked with the development team and has two pre-production models and he's sure "one of them works".

I think this could be an interesting video on computer history since Be OS was the opponent of Microsoft and Apple at that time.

Do you know by which medium I could contact them and see if they are interested ?

Regards,

Louis.

img1.png

img2.png

Hi Louis,

We're interested. I've sent you a DM. 

Thanks

Alvyn 

Now the Intel Arc has been released for some time, new drivers have come out, and from what I hear, performance has improved, could there be a second look at the lineup and see how it fairs with time?  Are Intel Arc GPUs worth it at all, or are they still purely for the enthusiast market who mainly hope to fund Intel's next attempt, while taking the hit?

Not sure if it's better suited for an LTT video or a Techquickie, but iSCSI and SAN networks (fibre channel too) and the concept of booting servers off remote storage

Video idea: Video game min - medium spec inflation. Trying to measure the reliability of  “future” proofing (really just buying time between upgrades) for gaming. Basically comparing what minimum specs were for AAA titles when they launched, say mid 2000s, versus what minimum specs for games are now for AAA titles. Based on the last decade or so of gaming hardware improvement how long would your hardware last you to go from say medium - high gaming setting before you tread dangerously close to not being able to handle minimum settings of newer games… I hope this makes sense….
I have been looking to upgrade my PC in pieces after having my first child but afraid that the changes I make will cause me to be in a constant cycle to keep up with new games. So weighing my options of going big on PSU now and then saving up to go MOBO, CPU, and GPU all at the same time and wether or not the hardware will last very long with the advancement of game development, display improvments, graphical demands, etc.

How about a passive-active cooling solution video?

I'm a mechanic and like watching Linus/Alex collabs and their cooling ones are usually fun. I also like things that can improve efficiency. My thought is essentially this: a sealed cooling loop with propane (yes, the explodey kind) and a TXV (Thermal Expansion Valve). CPU/GPU heat the propane and increase the pressure, TXV allows the compressed propane to vaporize, Boyle's Law does physics stuff, things get cold, rinse and repeat.

You might need a weak pump to get the propane back into the high side (high pressure/ hot side aka condenser) but you could use a Peletier Seebeck TEV for waste heat as energy to drive the pump. It would have the benefit of "automatically" increasing pump speed with the thermal load. I'm thinking of a self-regulating reaction like Thorium reactors are supposed to do. . . Or MSRs maybe; I'm a mechanic, I get paid to hit things with wrenches not accurately describe thermal reactions or design nuclear reactors.

It would probably be a peculiar configuration since you'd be using the CPU/GPU to generate heat for the loop, but also cool those same components. Not sure if you'd hit equilibrium or if Thermodynamics would call you on the "free lunch" and refuse to play ball. Alex would have a good knowledge set to check me, but I believe propane is one of the more efficient refrigerants. For example, using a propane grill on a summer day you can ice up your gas bottle and I think typical grill regulators are about 5 freedom units of pressure or .3 bar 🙂

There is the whole "flammable pressurized gas being heated while surrounded by electrical circuitry in a hand built system" concern but humans can detect thiols at parts per billion, commercially available VOC detectors exist, and submersion pressure testing is a thing. Anyway, it could be interesting and you could use the VOC detector in the lab to test chairs, components, and peripherals for off-gassing to verify manufacturer construction claims and provide an objective "stinkiness" rating for chairs, headphones, etc.

Edited by TL.DR
Clarity and grammar.

Hi,

Just watched this YouTube video and at the end he suggests the design could be used to make ultra silent computer fans... Probably something you could 3d print and get the lab involved in too.

https://youtu.be/MGy8jvf-DZ0

Cheers

Lee

I have a 2009 Xserve 3.1 that i use as a 4K gamming rig. (Why not?)

If there was ever a follow up to the xserve video making it into a gamming rig. I'd be happy to share my experience and suggestions.

There are quite a few quirks and obstacles I've overcome to make it work reasonable well. Including upgrading the firmware, processors, Ideal ram setup , nvme ssd's and perhaps most important silencing it.

I seemed to be the only person at mac rumors excited at getting a 6600 Xt working on my xserve. Though I'm running a 5700 xt now. Just as fast with the full 16 lanes. 

BTW I'm using an Xserve with non-raid backplane. In my case standard SATA SSD's work fine as long as they can go down to sata 2 in my drive sleds. e.g Crucial’s  MX500 1 TB works great. Might be worth checking if they can work for your Xserve.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/xserve-2020-xs3-1.2225448/post-31187673

Happy to share more, maybe I should create my own video first?!  Current playing Horizon Zero Dawn on my xserve at 4k on my projector. Medium settings.

Upgrade a ti-nspire cx II calculator like crazy so it can run windows and cod or tf2.

Hello folks,

I have 2 ideas:

1. At work, I came across an invoice for a medical monitor for viewing X-rays, the company asked for 15,000 euros. Are these monitors really worth it or are they so expensive because of the "medical equipment" premium?

2. CPUs are already so fast compared to GPUs that at higher resolutions (4k) it hardly makes any difference which CPU is actually used (4090 excluded). I really like playing games like CIV 6, where - at least according to my understanding - it's the CPU's job to calculate the AI. In these games, the lap time or time acceleration often depends on how powerful the CPU is. Does it make sense to go for a high end solution like the 13900k... for these games?

BTW: love your videos

Greetings from Austria

Hey everyone, 

Has ltt ever thought about reviewing turntables and associated tech? Seems like a good market given the rising popularity of vinyl and the dificulty for beginners to get into it, the subreddit basically soffs at anything under 300$ and there are a lot of crap budget options that are very popular cuz people dont know any better.

Give the fact that linus is an audiophile and ltt labs is being set up it seems like a good topic for some videos!

2 minutes ago, PedroBento1996 said:

Hey everyone, 

Has ltt ever thought about reviewing turntables and associated tech? Seems like a good market given the rising popularity of vinyl and the dificulty for beginners to get into it, the subreddit basically soffs at anything under 300$ and there are a lot of crap budget options that are very popular cuz people dont know any better.

Give the fact that linus is an audiophile and ltt labs is being set up it seems like a good topic for some videos!

I have merged your thread into the LTT video idea thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I have a pair of the AKG N90Q headphones, and I think their price, their massive dump discount, and the technology within them would make for interesting content and could be good practice for the lab. I would be willing to ship!