Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi,

Please can you do a video on reviewing the best stable de-bloated Windows 11 versions? I want somthing suitable as a daily driver and for gaming with the latest gen intel CPU's and nVidia 40 series hardware from 2023. I'm currently looking at Tiny11 by NTDEV (which is free) and Windows 11 Pro Lite by SasNet (which is $10). I'm sure there are other versions of de-bloated Windows 11 out there so if you have time to review them too that would be great.

I loved your video on Windows 10 Ameliorated Edition but sadly your video revealed that is was not able to take Windows updates and so for gaming was not usable due to DirectX needing updates.

Tiny11 by NTDEV is available at this website:

https://archive.org/details/tiny-11-NTDEV

The latest versions are "tiny11 b2.iso" and "tiny11 b2(no sysreq).iso"

The developer of Tiny11 (NTDEV) has a youtube page at this website:

https://www.youtube.com/@NTDEV/videos

Windows 11 Pro Lite by SasNet is available from this website:

https://sasnet.ovh/#win11

The developer of Windows 11 Pro Lite (SasNet) has a youtube page at this website:

https://www.youtube.com/@sasnetro/videos

Thanks & best regards,

Yoshi

Hello

I have an idea for a video or more likely a series. There is a massive lack of content dedicated to professional lighting control systems and networking. 

I personally use Grand MA 2 but sometimes use Grand MA 3 Hardware running MA 2 Software. In the UK Film industry we use windows remote desktop monitor to remotely control the software over Wi-Fi using a surface pro or ipad, either with one WAP or a mesh system.

There are many other systems available, for example Chamsys, ETC (ETC is used in the US film industry), obsidian, avolites, high end systems, Zero 88 and many others.

There is also a dedicated networking systems used which is Luminex Switches and nodes. there are other brands like: Swisson, MA Lighting and others. we do use netgear, ubiquity and others too but I personally use Luminex due to there superior features.

If you would like more in-depth information, I would be more than happy to provide it.

Gigacore12_front-and-back.jpg

GigaCore-30i_transparent.png

Luminode 12.png

MA 2 Lite.png

MA 3 Lite.png

MQ500M-FRONT_869098ec-a2fe-42d1-8446-da7d7981daf2.webp

Eos_Apex20_center (2).png

MA Lighting Network Switch.webp

New here, not sure if this has been requested. But for both a video and the labs, I'd like to see how the new Flux Keyboard that is being funded on kickstarter performs. Looks cool, but everything about it just seems more like a gimmick than an actual well functioning keyboard.

https://fluxkeyboard.com/

Watching an Asmongold video tonight about PC Game Ports and nearer the end of the video ( at 20:28) he is talking about the advantages of PCs.  His chat from the live stream is arguing with him saying Consoles are better and will cost less over time and last longer (at 21:53).

This sparked a video idea for me that LTT would be able to do.  A blind A/B test.  Build a PC that is price equivalent to consoles and see if people are capable of determining based off only visuals which is preferred.  You could do different levels as well, such as 60hz/FPS gaming vs 120hz/FPS gaming.  Also build a PC that gives visuals equivalent to that of the console.

What I would specifically be interested to see is what it would cost to build a PC that gives visuals that are indistinguishable from that of a console and have that reinforced with the blind A/B tests.

17 hours ago, Mr.Nelf said:

I just looked over that page...  $1500 for headphones... that still use a micro USB connection for charging. What...thee...FU$%?! 🤨

These released in 2015, alongside the Samsung Note 5 and other micro USB devices. Nexus users were one of the few who got to enjoy USB C charging at the time.

While this doesn't excuse the price, I don't think quick charging was on the forefront of any headphone makers.

1 hour ago, DancingCorpse said:

Watching an Asmongold video tonight about PC Game Ports and nearer the end of the video ( at 20:28) he is talking about the advantages of PCs.  His chat from the live stream is arguing with him saying Consoles are better and will cost less over time and last longer (at 21:53).

This sparked a video idea for me that LTT would be able to do.  A blind A/B test.  Build a PC that is price equivalent to consoles and see if people are capable of determining based off only visuals which is preferred.  You could do different levels as well, such as 60hz/FPS gaming vs 120hz/FPS gaming.  Also build a PC that gives visuals equivalent to that of the console.

What I would specifically be interested to see is what it would cost to build a PC that gives visuals that are indistinguishable from that of a console and have that reinforced with the blind A/B tests.

Linus has covered this several times, especially with the budget build series.

Paraphrasing from a recent WAN show quote, consoles are great price/performance... For gaming.

PCs are multi tools that can do much more than game.

The blind test could work with the hall effect joysticks though.

Linus replied to a merch message about this and said Collaboration is impossible bcz The project could take 3 weeks and either one don't want to leave their office for 3 weeks. You could do a VS video both will be interesting to watch "Will LMG engineers could beat the Goat of DIY". The Collabed filming if you wanted to will only take maybe 2 days then But Both could make a quality video out of it. For example Building a Gaming laptop/AIO With a Laptop board (or MiniItx )  and over the top keyboard, OLED display. I would say the rule will be it needs to be as much portable as that acer laptop with Duel 1080 and the case needs to be custom made 

Spoiler

Acer Predator GX21-71-76VC - 64 Go, 2 To SSD, SLI GTX 1080 : les ...

I believe the timeline you are referencing was for the response given for Dan investigating the special sauce double layer LCD panel, where it would effectively be him staying there at effectively the factory.

27 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

Linus replied to a merch message about this and said Collaboration is impossible bcz The project could take 3 weeks and either one don't want to leave their office for 3 weeks. You could do a VS video both will be interesting to watch "Will LMG engineers could beat the Goat of DIY". The Collabed filming if you wanted to will only take maybe 2 days then But Both could make a quality video out of it. For example Building a Gaming laptop/AIO With a Laptop board (or MiniItx )  and over the top keyboard, OLED display. I would say the rule will be it needs to be as much portable as that acer laptop with Duel 1080 and the case needs to be custom made 

Reveal hidden contents

Acer Predator GX21-71-76VC - 64 Go, 2 To SSD, SLI GTX 1080 : les ...

You do remember LTT screwdriver took 3 years right ? 😆

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

3 hours ago, SinusSebastian said:

These released in 2015, alongside the Samsung Note 5 and other micro USB devices. Nexus users were one of the few who got to enjoy USB C charging at the time.

While this doesn't excuse the price, I don't think quick charging was on the forefront of any headphone makers.

The port's fragility was the primary thing on my mind when I saw that.(the same port is what's used on my old S3 & has some problem making it nearly impossible to charge correctly)  Considering they're still selling it w/ that old design.... yea, F%^& that noise, LOL!

Has anyone ever done an intert gas flooded pc? I know in the laser industry you can blow nitrogen onto your metal to keep it cooler, if you had a non electrically conductive gas, maybe nitrogen could you seal a PC case and pump through the gas to see if you could shave off a few degrees. Would be fun to try at least.

I think that you guys should make a video about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, because it is a difficult game to run so if you guys could make a budget pc for MFS 2020 that would be amazing.

Heyo - someone here from ESPN. Yesterday during the live stream Linus answered a merch message regarding if he was interested in doing a deeper dive on broadcasting tech to which he answered pretty positively in the affirmative. I'm pretty uniquely positioned managing a lot of the on-air tech he specifically called out. If there's interest there, hit me up with a DM and I can reply back with my work contact info and I can work on connecting some dots. 

Any plans for a review of the Samsung A54 (a74 got cancelled over it so it can be in between A34 and FE) 

I was wondering if LTT would be interested in doing a Keyboard for there store. I Googled this Keyboard that was pulled off the market, in my humble opinion it was one of the best ever done for gaming. Linus did a earlier video on this keyboard (Steelseries Merc Stealth Keyboard)   https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0LMkyNzA2TTIzYPQSzU0tSlYoLklNzCnJUMhOrUzKTyxKAQDXjQxB&q=merc+stealth+keyboard&rlz=1C1JZAP_enCA787CA787&oq=merc+stealth&aqs=chrome.1.0i355i512j46i340i512i613j69i57j46i340i512i613j0i512l6.8978j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:f8d07f6a,vid:KEa5F51Mku0

There is a fan base for this Keyboard but for what ever reason Steelseries will not bring it back. After using mine for years it only now has been giving me some issues. I cant even find someone to help me get it back into working order. and Ebay has one for sale for $2000. 

Let me know what you think.

Compare PCI-E m.2 drives thermal performance. Take the same 10 gen 4 drives, same gen 3 drives, test them all with no cooler, thin metal cooler, premium cooler with sustained and burst loads. 

When talking with a friend it seems there is poor info out there regarding how hot these things really get, and the effectiveness of cooling solutions. Does gen 4 run more hot? What kind of performance gains do you see with cooling? (You could even test a large file transfer and see how the cooling affects transfer speed due to speed reduction)

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

To start this off, this idea occured to me after watching UFDTechs youtube short "Intel Black Edition Price Drop" so Im not taking credit for the idea.

The topic of said video (Citing This Article) was the i5-13490F, which is currently exclusive in china, being reduced in price from roughly $230 to roughly $200. Thats 6P+4E turbo to 4.8 Ghz, with a boost up to 24MB of L3 Cache.

In the same vain exists the i7-13790F, in the 8P+8E config, turbo to 5.2, but with again a mild boost in the L3 cache up to 33MB.

The idea would be to import/benchmark the chips, talk about potential value, why the exclusivity, the (maybe) gains of additional cache, etc..  or of course whatever you guys come up with, I mean its all in your charm.

On the methods of purchase, I found these listings on Alibaba for The i5-13490F, and The i7-13790F.

The i5 specs are inconsistent, and advertised as a minimum ourchase of 10. Clearly not best option, but maybe LTT has connections?

For ease:

UFDTech Short

Article

i5-13490F

i5-13400

i7-13790F

i7-13700K

Alibaba i5-13490F

Alibaba i7-13790F

Steal (or rather credit) a video idea from this. I'm genuinely interested in trying this myself, but I'd love to see it done with something crazy like that 500Hz monitor or at least a 240hz monitor.

The importance of two factor authentication and not re-using passwords...

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

The importance of two factor authentication and not re-using passwords...

That's not what happened, in any way shape or form.  But go off.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

That's not what happened, in any way shape or form.  But go off.

How do you know what happened? Has LTT released a statement explaining what it was?

For a handful of months now I've been working on a script that dynamically adjusts the performance of 6800U handhelds, aiming to reduce power draw.

As you can see from the videos below, the impact is massive, and at least for most games the performance is rock solid. It even dynamically adjusts the target ratio based on the average load of the game, so emulators like Yuzu that barely load up the GPU (40% or so) will still turn clock speed up to 1600-1800mhz to reach and maintain the FPS target.

The biggest offender, to me, is Hades. Hades will use 18W to run at 120 FPS, 60 FPS, 40 FPS, 30 FPS or even 1 FPS. With this script that drops down to 3.8-5W.

This is all well and good, but the reason I think this is worth a video is that I see literally no valid reason for this script to have to exist. This should be the default behavior of the drivers, and if not the default it should be part of a power-saver mode. AMD (and Nvidia and Intel) all have much better (more accurate), faster (measured in microseconds, vs this script running 1 time per second) and lower overhead (direct-on-chip adjustments) access to all of the data that I'm using for this.

With the new 6800U handhelds coming out and likely on your docket already, I think this is an extremely meaningful addition to talk about.

Videos (Note the power draw and frametime/framerate consistency in the top left. This is while recording on the same device, not with a capture card!)

https://youtu.be/rIhGj0qzFFQ
https://youtu.be/aLkOfG3ax6simage.png.0e896328fd6cc21da9910e73f709e714.png

Idea:

Investigative journalism on Qemu-3DFX, the developer of Quem-3DFX has been accused of breaking the compile instructions to get "donations" to share a link to get Qemu-3DFX precompiled. There are FOSS projects that don't share the binary, but at least they don't have broken instructions. It wouldn't surprise me that even an upstream Qemu dev can't compile Qemu-3DFX.