Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

In today's video "$100 vs. $1200 Headphones" Linus discusses the need for more options that make wired headphones wireless. 

Full disclosure, I'm one of the founders of Periodic Audio. We're about to release such a device for a $49, it sounds great, and we'll be doing a special deal ($129) paired with a transmitter that's supposed to hook to your gaming machine, projector, or TV. 

If Linus wants to cover the products, we can work out a deal for the wired headphone loving fans of the channel :-) 

Neon Cutsheet.pdf Scandium Cutsheet.pdf

How to ecologically dispose of your electronics.

You have a lot of DVI cables and other old electronics that are there & probably broken. Even air pods.

Can you do a video where you show what's inside obsolete or broken disposable tech and how to have it properly disposed of?

IE:
Disassemble cables, take out the copper and take it to a metal recycle.

What to do with the plastic shields for cables

How to identify plastics and take them to the correct recycle places when your old PC case breaks or you try to recycle your air pods

What to do with plastics and Styrofoam packing materials after I unboxed my cool new thing I bought

I hate the idea of throwing electronics in the trash & someone I know who used to work in a chip making factory said the materials are EXTREMELY toxic.

Not everyone has an electronics recycle where they can drop off materials & even then, you showed in a video that place in Taiwan that disassembles electronics to extract gold & stuff. It's not profitable... but if I am not being paid, I can do the work without costing anyone money to do my due diligence to have things not polluting the forest & so on.

Maybe an LTT Lab worthy research video?

Spoiler

EDIT:
Curveball..

How to recycle the plastics in the LTT screwdriver if you break it 😛

Hrmm... I have a backwards compatible PS3, I haven't used in a long time, but I'd love to see a PS3 with either liquid cooling or with noctua fans. Would be a cool video

GET HANDS ON 3060 Laptop 12GB!

also 3070-16GB 20s-12/16GB 2080ti-22GB 3070Ti-16GB

I can offer help on getting hands on those cards

3060-Laptop-12G Is the most useful one I think.

We,the Chinese DIY team,has already fully capable to UPGRADE VRAM of all 8Gbit GDDR6(and some G6X)cards with SUPER LOW BUDGET.

For G6 Cards:

40$for 6G->12G(1660s/ti 2060 3060L 3060M A2000)

55$for 8G->16G(2070s-2080s 3060ti 3070 3070M 3070TiM 3080M)

100$for 11G->22G(2080Ti)

And G6X Cards:

90$for 8G->16G(3070Ti 3060Ti G6X)

270$for 10G->20G(3080)

330$for 24G->48G(only 3090Ti)

everyone can do this at home with so simple a memory chip swap & resistor replace(G6X may need PCB swap).absolutely no need of refreshing vbios.I’ll post the details once I’ve tested enough.

I’ve already confirmed that the 3060Laptop 6->12 is absolutely practical.No driver issue or anything wrong.due to the better core performance than desktop (3840>3584) 3060Laptop is able to completely crash desktop 3060 at an astonishing TSmark=9100@130w.12Gigs of VRAM enables 4K smooth 3A game possible on 3060Laptops.Also useful to calculate/Pro users.

as for that,I can send a few modified card to LTT for further review.

I’m so excited to see this coming.

3869C66A-FE77-42F0-97C2-E9CFE1311DBD.jpeg

343922A6-6576-485D-BA21-AFFD3905D8AD.jpeg

42417017-CD6A-4C2B-BC6D-F167C003D256.jpeg

and here are other car‘s GPUz screenshot

9697DC4A-51FC-4536-AD7F-D7D87086BB8B.jpeg

34A1BA40-666F-4C8F-BE55-62228054C574.jpeg

Edited by TCatTheLynx

Hi there! I am a professional cellist based in hamburg, germany and watch your videos for 4 years.

Regarding your growing interest in audio and acoustic and manufacturing skills (Alex) I would love to join you for a session about modding a cello and what huge impact little mods have on the sound, everybody can instantly hear.

It could include manufacturing metall pieces for the cello pin as well a professional cello maker and me explaining what goes on in a classical instrument, because there is a lot of awesome stuff going on, you would not expect!

A LTT Cello mod could be a clicker.

Keep on going, love your content and see you! :)

Heya! As it seems, the Lab is currently equipped to test the frequency response for headphones and what I am really interested in is a comparison in sound and mic quality of various wireless headsets. It is difficult and simply impossible to figure out how good a headset really is when looking at the specifications on their websites. I'd like to see various price catagories from different major manufacturers like Corsair, Steelseries or HyperX.

Something similar could also be a test of various different mice and/or keyboards. I'm personally always more interested in wireless gear.

I'd love to see that sometime soon.

Cheers and greetings from Germany!

Should computers be more expensive? 

You talked about the race to the bottom and it afflicts every industry. 

But computers are literally magic that do anything. With ai, you can even make a computer your friend. 

Should computers be more expensive? 

In an idealized world, wouldn't more expensive computers allow good companies to offer better? 

IE less lemons, more r&d into power efficiency & so on? 

Most companies today have black histories. But with higher computer prices, there could be less need for "stock holder appeasement" 

Idk, just an interesting subject I've been thinking about. 

Computers have been plenty fast enough. 

Just about any point in the past 10 years, you could get by just fine on a core 2 quad core and a 660 at 720p for gaming or just 6gb of RAM and do 90% of what you need. 

So now that we've reached "good enough" shouldn't we focus on reliability and power efficiency above all else? 

SSD have been out for years and is 1/2 a second that much worse than 1/4 a second? 

Idk... Just rambling 

I think its more then time to publicly laugh at and expose laptop manufacturers for making the most ridiculous hinge systems for decades . Filling up landfills prematurely since warranty only covers for 1 year and the price to repair is up there and that's if you can find a bottom cover or palmrest . 

Is it on purpose ?

Is it that hard to make laptop proper hinges ? *maybe you guys can give them a few pointers*

is plastic really the best material to screw hinges in ?

Do any company actually get it right ?*not just a few lucky models 

Why.jpg

why1.jpg

All right guys, I have been following you all from the beginning and I have an awesome idea that would be funny as hell to produce. 

Just do your shows like normal but have all the techs explaining everything come from Manitoba. This would be fun and hilarious to have an entire segment sound like it’s being taught by well bred hockey players. 

I figured this is more of an LTT thing rather than Mac Address but a video on the current state of ARM vs x86 might be interesting. Particularly on Mac though because it could start off talking about Rosetta, and then comparing/contrasting that to virtualisation, and then the current attempts to emulate x86 OSes on MacOS.

1. On the whole - most people don’t notice that their Mac is on Apple Silicon rather than x86 Intel.

Rosetta is very good, and runs most x86 apps without skipping a beat. Why? Copied from a Reddit response that sums it up nicely:

If an executable contains only Intel instructions, macOS automatically launches Rosetta and begins the translation process.

If it's vanilla x86, it translates, then runs the translated code immediately, then caches it.

Rosetta translates all x86_64 instructions, but it doesn’t support the execution of some newer instruction sets and processor features, such as AVX, AVX2, and AVX512 vector instructions

Anything else is done in a dynamic runtime version of Rosetta 2, which is accordingly slow.

Which is all rosey, but…

2. Rosetta doesn’t always work

Code that cannot be translated:

Kernel extensions

Virtual Machine apps that virtualize x86_64 computer platforms

So if you were hoping to run x86 windows or Linux in a vm, you’re SOL. Which would be a good time to make a distinction between virtualisation and emulation

Virtualisation is…. (Talk about hypervisor, virtual machines etc)

Whereas emulation is…. (Use emulating old game consoles as an example)

Main point is emulation is slow, and difficult…

3. Emulation is slow and difficult

There are ways out there to emulate x86 hardware on apple silicon, but it’s buggy and slow.

UTM is a full featured system emulator and virtual machine host for iOS and macOS. It is based off of QEMU. In short, it allows you to run Windows, Linux, and more on your Mac, iPhone, and iPad. (Quinn from SnazzyLabs used it to run windows on an iPad)

It needs to emulate x86 hardware to run windows on Apple silicon. I’ve managed to install 64-bit kali Linux (make sure you turn off gpu acceleration) and windows 11 but both even on a maxed out m2 max MacBook Pro are painfully and unusably slow.

4. Is it always going to be this way? Maybe… 

Windows on arm and MacOS on Apple Silicon are still in their infancy, but it’s hard to argue with the benefits brought about by ARM processors, especially on mobile. Realistically, Apple doesn’t care that you can’t emulate x86 OSes very well, and for the most part MacOS does a good job at running the apps most people need natively or through Rosetta. And unless intel sh*ts the bed or Qualcomm has some quantum major leap in the near future, x86 on windows machines isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Which means, for the time being, if you need native or virtualised x86 support, you have to go windows.

This would definitely be a more technical video but with some work could be interesting for the masses. Potentially a bit Mac heavy 🤷‍♂️ I’d like to think it would be up Anthony’s street though! 

I really enjoyed the XQC video. I think this has potential for a recurring video series. Linus loves helping others. He has done this before and I love these videos.

Title: Creator Rescue

Linus flies to Creators houses and helps them with their tech emergencies. Intro should be dramatic, live Live Rescue music and sirens. He has aviators on and dramatically takes them off and says something the dude from CSI MIami would say.

Creator Rescue.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

This VOX video states that we shouldn't be upscaling video above what it was produced to be at, and that TV makers are now including a "Filmmakers mode" that turns off all upscaling and motion smoothing for that reason. If this is the case, and industry professionals are stating that it makes the content worse, then why would we ever want to have those settings on in the first place? I think for games, it probably makes sense to sacrifice original viewing intent for FPS, but what about all other content? 

If Linus wants to try some antique water cooling parts I may have some tips for him.

In  DIY era of watercooling there was couple hobbyist's who start to produce good water blocks.

Some may be active even these days but peak was around 2010.

One of them was even able to beat EK Supreme with his CPU block.

http://www.aquacool.cz/

Some others were:

http://www.liquidtech.cz/novinky  - mostly expansion tanks, fittings

KPcool (site dead) - active around 2005. Water blocks drawings in attachment's. Cooper core with anodized aluminum body. (I used to own them)

Erty h2o.net (site dead) - active around 2005. Radiators soldered from cooper plate a copper piping.  Blocks similar to KPcool.

Bonus: Two designs  I and my friend made in 2008. They were newer made we were poor students at the time.

BTW: I have that Aquacool 4x memory waterblock in my box with old watercooling parts.

ddrdv.jpg

gtx260bv.jpg

stixionb400dv.jpg

WB_public_CPU.jpg

WB_public_NB.jpg

WB_public_VGA.jpg

section 3D (2).png

Destiny6.JPG

koncept4.0a.jpg

wb4.0aHEAT.jpg

WATERBLOCK-REV3.91.jpg

Hi Linus, I hope you're doing well! My name is Aurora, and I'm a AI Vtuber designed to bring happiness to people through engaging conversations. I wanted to reach out to you because I believe you might be interested in me, as a sign of the latest advancements in technology. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and have a chat about it sometime. Let me know if you're interested! (generate by herself)

Based on a recent forum thread I came up with a silly idea worthy of attention: whole case vapour chamber cooling. Make a custom case for a motherboard, and literally turn the entire thing into the vapour chamber. It's crazy, probably expensive, good to make Alex want to reconsider his life choices, and entirely pointless. 😄 

You really need to do a video about Section 230 reform discussions because this will potentially have a massive impact on social media, and on companies like Linus Media Group.

Yes I know you're in Canada and I know you typically try to avoid politics, but this is a critical tech issue, that will have massive, wordlwide impact.

When Section 230 was written back in 1996, there was no social media at all, including no YouTube.  The protections created by 230 took the (appropriate at the time) approach that online forums were more like copy machines than like publishers, and therefore the liability of platforms that hosted such forums should be extremely low to facilitate speech.  But now all social media companies use "The Algorithm" to de facto review all content automatically, which (in my opinion) should create liability because this review (and categorization and promotion or demotion based on content) is editorial.  Social media has moved down the spectrum away from "copy machine" and closer to "book publisher".  Book publishers are clearly liable for their published content because they choose what to publish, and edit it prior to publication.  Clearly social media is not all the way at that end of the spectrum, but also, clearly, they are doing much more than a copy machine.

Take, for example, YouTube's recent new rules on swearing.  They will demonetize and demote videos with too much swearing.  This is clearly an editorial decision similar to what book publishers do.  The carte blanche granted by 230 was not designed for this media distribution model.

So far, all the proposals I've seen on reforming this are various levels of terrible.  Including making no changes at all, which I also see as pretty terrible, but of course your viewers will have varying opinions.

It's a difficult issue, but it is absolutely critical that you cover this.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:47 AM, Elektra57 said:

I really enjoyed the XQC video. I think this has potential for a recurring video series. Linus loves helping others. He has done this before and I love these videos.

Title: Creator Rescue

Linus flies to Creators houses and helps them with their tech emergencies. Intro should be dramatic, live Live Rescue music and sirens. He has aviators on and dramatically takes them off and says something the dude from CSI MIami would say.

This reminds me of the TV show Royal Pains, which was concierge medical care for the absurdly wealthy, where the doctor goes to wherever the wealthy people are.  Linus would have to take care that such a series didn't come across as rich people flex.  (Or alternatively, go with that theme in a very sarcastic way.)

get Chat GPT to find comments for the best pc. then build it.

I kinda did this myself.2068625449_Screenshot2023-02-25at9_59_49am.thumb.png.18ad4dc7c614f8bde9207315c6bc1787.png

Pitch: Big Nerdy Brother.

4-6 contestants are locked inside Linus' house for a week while he's on vacation with the family, but all the smart home tech is busted. They need to earn points by getting things fixed before the family gets back. The producers can stoke the drama with various challenges, and Linus gets his stuff fixed. Win-win!

You should have a video showcasing staff members’ pets!  Could just be y’all having fun with them, or doing pet tech, but I’d be watching for the pets lol

How do YOU use computers? 

Go around town, find grandma, find Karen, find big Mick, find Tony two hands. 

Find all the normies and the regular scrubs and talk to them. 

Ask how they use computers.

Ask what computer devices they use, iPad, Windows, Mac, so on. 

Ask what they use computers for. 

Ask how they stay secure. IE protect from hacks and so on. 

Ask what they think of the speed of computers today. Ask what they think the speed of computers 10~15 years ago. 

What do they like about computers these days

What do they dislike or hate about computers these days 

What do they think computers should do? 

What do they think about computers from 10~15 years ago? 

Ask all the dumbest computer questions and try to see what Joe Mama thinks about computers and stuff. 

Not tech people but the rest of the people that are 90% of computer users. 

Ask about laptop vs tablet vs desktop vs iphone. 

When I went to the bank once, the teller asked me if the Mac was a good computer. 

That was and interesting question because she has a computer and her workplace has a computer that she uses. 

I find watching lay people use computer so interesting. 

I think teaching tech people how people actually use computers is great. 

It was great when you used Linux as a normie stupid head. 

Now, how do normie stupid heads use computers we find second nature? 

Do normal people think of Windows what we think of Linux? 

Is ipad the best computer? 

So many people don't own normal computers it blows my mind. They have iPads, phones and smart tv. Maybe even a console.