Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hey guys, I would love to see more content about oled monitor and the hybrid use of productivity and gaming. In this post covid working I am working on my gaming monitor. Specifically I would love to see more about the LG oled flex.

Any topic regarding Green Tech. Like how to greenify your PC. From Hardware to Power Supplier to End-Of-Life. How would green gaming look like? For example, I want to play a modern racing game ⇾ which one gives me, with which power-efficient hardware and which settings the most fps/watt. Also discussing external cost to material-use, like mining etc. Maybe there is a video to refurbishing old hardware or reusing it or so.

I desperately want to share this with everyone its incredible and i think linus should make a video about this asap. Since covid hit and I sold my pc I used a laptop to play games on shadowpc now I am using a android samsung s21fe and as of an hour ago I made it run just as fast as a desktop pc. Even fast enough to play csgo comp.

My setup is a Armstrong usbc hub with a 144hz monitor g503 and g413. And set to 30mbps over wifi.

Using the new "mode" settings to isolate the shadowpc app, phone display set to 120hz and DEX Disabled bc it caps fps at 60 where I get 144hz without it. I highly encourage everyone who reads this to give it a try and spread the word.

2 minutes ago, SnugglyKree said:

I desperately want to share this with everyone its incredible and i think linus should make a video about this asap. Since covid hit and I sold my pc I used a laptop to play games on shadowpc now I am using a android samsung s21fe and as of an hour ago I made it run just as fast as a desktop pc. Even fast enough to play csgo comp.

My setup is a Armstrong usbc hub with a 144hz monitor g503 and g413. And set to 30mbps over wifi.

Using the new "mode" settings to isolate the shadowpc app, phone display set to 120hz and DEX Disabled bc it caps fps at 60 where I get 144hz without it. I highly encourage everyone who reads this to give it a try and spread the word.

I have merged this video suggestion idea into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I have merged this video suggestion idea into the LTT video suggestion thread. 

Thank you. I'm not sure but im feeling like this is breakthrough I'm going to set it up side by side with my pc that has a r5 and 1660 super and post a clip

On 2/27/2023 at 3:55 PM, Commodore256 said:

I'm well aware of the range benefit of AM, it's just we're shifting to a world that assumes internet everywhere. I don;t even like how our digital infrastructure assumes you have internet at home,because of that, you can't buy the Man DeLorean on Blu-ray and you can't but Adobe CS anymore.

a2c.jpeg

That would be the point of such video. What can be done about such things, that is, if there is something that can be done. Sometimes the world wants us to think there's a one-size-fits-all approach to technology. But is that always the answer? Maybe it is. But until the internet is as reliable and in every place that AM and FM radio are, can we really call it a replacment?

I was reading that Italy had banded selling devices with FM radio capability if it didn't also receive DAB (Digital Air Broadcasting). So a lot of phone manufactures had to disable their FM chips in order to sell phones there. I'm not entirely sure this next thing is true, but according to some the result is ending up that they are cutting FM on all new european phones.

So I propose a video that addresses this and talks about options, practical options. I didn't know there were BlueTooth headphones with FM and even AM radios in them until this week! So I ordered one! I'm not saying that we need to keep a dying technology from dying. But there are lots of people that listen to lots of AM and FM stations still. Taking it out of cars and phones and such just seems like an attempt to kill off the tech prematurely. But regardless, it's still there, so why not have options to listen to it if you want to?

A video making that silly tank case you featured in the build stream today (or yesterday?  Timezones are weird) somewhat worthwhile by replacing the barrel with a reservoir, possibly with LEDs that approximate the firing of the cannon by running red / orange down the length of it on activation so you can "fire" it at will.

Whether it's worth it from there to also fiddle with the overall setup to improve the airflow / cooling potential I have no idea, but increasing the coolness factor of it significantly seemed like a good starting point.

I'd love to see you guys do a video on the seemingly impossible cheap KTC M27P20 and M27P20 pro Mini Led monitors. 

Would be great to see a video on those old GPUs with upgradable VRAM. I have felt recently that modern solutions could indicate a viability for these to return. I miss them! I personally do not believe someone who for instance buys a 3070ti with 8GB of VRAM should be forced to buy a “higher-end” gpu that comes with more VRAM even if they do not need that extra performance and only need the VRAM.

I'd like to see a video on cat proofing.  with 4 computers and 5 monitors in one room, I can't find cable channel big enough to cover everything.  And cable ties only hold them together and the cats loves to play attack them as well. Not to mention being slack in the wires so I can move things areas you just can't protect.  that doesn't even cover the TV where the cat has pulled the cable management down.

Video suggestion: 

- Is the new „IPS-Black“ a huge change over the traditional IPS technology? 

- Why is there no real-world improvement in the SD-Card standard since 10 years, when the first devices with the USH-II protocol were published, even theoretical UHS-III and SD Express exist as a standard. 

Don't know whether anyone suggested this already, but a video on what cool things can be done with an unraid server running a nextcloud docker container could be an idea? Maybe even with a proxy and mail server? I've been using nextcloud for about a year now and really apreciate how well it replaces goolge's or apple's ecosystems for example.

It would be cool if you guys could follow up with Valve and find out what happened to the plan to release SteamOS 3.x for the PC.

You might get an answer other than "this release is only for the Steam Deck".

I'm interested in buying a wireless vr headset for pc vr, so I would love to know the difference in using htc vive pro 2 with a wigig card in my pc vs a meta quest pro with WiFi 6e and do you think wifi 7 will be better than the current wigig setup that comes with the HTC vive.

I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-7506 studio monitor headphones at the suggestion of an old live theater audio design mentor. $100 usd (less on sale) and have been in production for over 30 years. I think it's a pretty good deal for a pair of studio monitors but I wanted to know what y'all thought.

Amazon installation secret shopper. 

Buy installation services for a GPU

A sound bar

A complex system. 

See what the installation is, how well it's done and so on. 

Is it worth it for Grandma that doesn't have a tech grandkid? Or is someone's Grandma getting ripped off? 

Forklife

Day in the life of a forklift at the Lab... following Linus around LIFTING up all the things he's DROPPED and helping him reach the top shelf 😇

What would happen if you didn't install any cooling setup and instead submerged a whole pc in dielectric mineral oil like in a power transformer, I wonder how that would hold up compared to traditional cooling methods like air or water cooling.

If it's effective why don't more people do it.

Another linux challenge any time in the future, a lot has gotten way better since the last time.

7 hours ago, RyukOfYor said:

What would happen if you didn't install any cooling setup and instead submerged a whole pc in dielectric mineral oil like in a power transformer, I wonder how that would hold up compared to traditional cooling methods like air or water cooling.

If it's effective why don't more people do it.

Search for "mineral oil PC". They've done it in the past, and yes it works but is a huge pain to maintain for obvious reasons, hence why not many people do it and they said they wouldn't do it again.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Gaming laptop repasting guide on how to choose the thermal paste

Testing out gaming PCs in an area with frequent-ish brownouts, voltage fluctuations or otherwise bad house wiring, test them with the PC plugged directly to the socket vs plugged to a surge protector, an automatic volt regulator AVR, and UPS

Noelle best girl

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard, BIOS P4.60
Memory: ADATA XPG 32GB GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: HP EX900 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive, PNY CS900 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Colorful iGame RTX 4060 Ti 16GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11a/b/g/n PCIe x1 Wifi adapter
Monitor: Acer QG240Y S3 24.0" 1920 x 1080 180Hz Monitor

How bad is default settings?

Basically just build computers with default settings, as lazily as you can possibly build a computer.

Then sub optimal configuration like very slow ram without xmp and motherboard that might not be bios updated for your CPU. 

How much performance are you leaving on the table by not knowing the settings you have to enable to get the hardware to do what it's supposed to do in the first place?