Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

An update on Windows 11, if it’s any better than it was a year ago and if somehow better than Windows 10.

Hi all,

In a recent video, Linux pronunced the words "Be OS" and it rang a bell.

My uncle worked with the development team and has two pre-production models and he's sure "one of them works".

I think this could be an interesting video on computer history since Be OS was the opponent of Microsoft and Apple at that time.

Do you know by which medium I could contact them and see if they are interested ?

Regards,

Louis.

img1.png

img2.png

I would have thought one of the retro-tech channels would be more interested to be honest.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Today's warehouse pondering... should I be wrapped in LTT Orange or Lambo Hot Pink ? 

14 hours ago, Agterra said:

Hi all,

In a recent video, Linux pronunced the words "Be OS" and it rang a bell.

My uncle worked with the development team and has two pre-production models and he's sure "one of them works".

I think this could be an interesting video on computer history since Be OS was the opponent of Microsoft and Apple at that time.

Do you know by which medium I could contact them and see if they are interested ?

Regards,

Louis.

Merged to video suggestions thread. If you have business collaboration, then use official ways https://linusmediagroup.com/contact-us

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Idead for video

Review of the Geforce Now program, with a twist. / Cheap GPU's until the arrivel of new generation mid tier parts.

The Geforce now program has had a reputation for being expensive and a subscribtion service for a GPU has been seen as a bad idea.

With the sharp rise in electricity cost gaming with Geforce can make economic sense, especially in Europe.

Right now I am using GFN on a laptop which consumes 20 watt while using Geforce now streaming in 2K,  If I had a pc with relevant parts as the GFN server, power consumption would be closer to 600 watt.

With electricity costing up to 70 US cent/kwh the saving for 45 hours gaming pr, month is close to 15$ with the montly price of 19.99$

Pros for GFN:
Can run on a small laptop/potatoe😊
Huge power saving
No need for upgrade of older pc parts
Good for single player / strategy games
Great for playing a new game for a month on top level graphics.

Con's
Need a 20 mbit internet connection
Comprable low game libery (1.500 games+)
Lag can be an issue for fast paced multiplayer games
No support for mods

Hope you can use it and have a great weekend (Its almost weekend now here in Denmark))

https://imgur.com/a/B7xw56c

Peltier effect (electricity based flat surface cooling) thermo-electric cooling pad for a Macbook Pro (the cooler of which I own and can ship to the Linus team) that can turn a Macbook with a GPU which from runs AAA title games like a slideshow into one which runs them at surprisingly and eye-pleasingly high frames (roundabout the 60fps mark). Very unique, very very niche, high content value, eyecatching tech stuff, it has a Linus YT episode written all over it. Have an interesting story to go with it, involving using bags of frozen peas to cool Macbook Pro before discovering this gadget. The best part is, as a product, due to the bulky unwieldy size of it, the need for a difficult to find additional external power supply, among other things, it's totally impractical for consumer manufacturing and marketing, which in turn makes it all the more fitting as the subject of an LTT video 

Edited by bwoooop

PCIe 4.0 graphic cards as eGPUs

How much performance is left on the table if we plan to use current gen graphic cards as eGPUs. Comparing the following:

M.2 (PCIe 3/4/5 x4)

Thunderbolt 3 / 4

reference PCIe x16, x4 slot

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

Suggestion for MAC address team.

why doesn’t apple sell a MacBook model without the screen.

you can use your iPad, monitor or tv as display.

hell, with airplay, you can use any device that supports airplay!

maybe I’m crazy but to me this seems like a great idea.

Thanks for the videos!

have a great day,

Josh

On 2/27/2023 at 12:54 AM, ningjia416 said:

Find out what happened this PC

Live at Victoria BC

PXL_20230224_001743646.jpg

PXL_20230225_000731419.jpg

IMG-20230223-WA0001.jpg

PXL_20230224_001747622.jpg

I have contact EVGA vendor for PSU and GPU. They denied my warranty on both product because there was use of cable extension. I have check PSU was not damaged by the fire but yet warranty now is voided. I am obviously very biter about this. But if you are a user of Cable extension beware of risk. I would not use cable extension again because vendors can easily deny your warranty. 

Would you guys be willing to do a video explaining some of the capabilities of Home Assist platform and it’s use of automation. I’ve gotten into it and have enjoyed setting automations up. I’m sure there’s a capability I might have missed.

Could you do some kind of real world testing / analysis video at one or more apartment buildings, or at least different wall constructions in houses, showing what types of audio frequencies go through walls, under what conditions, and what can the average person do when setting up their audio setup to not annoy their neighbors in a shared building?

It is my understanding that subwoofer frequencies (< 50 Hz) go through pretty much anything, even concrete constructed walls. I could be wrong though. Given that, it seems logical that there is no way to use a subwoofer in a shared building, without your neighbors hearing those sub-bass frequencies.

Based on this understanding, I bought a pair of 5" monitors which go down to 45 Hz (Adam Audio t5v) so that I have good bass, but no sub-bass for my neighbors to hear in my concrete constructed highrise apartment. I think it has worked (I want minimal or no impact on my neighbors), but I don't have any measured data to be sure.

Are there any alternate approaches, like putting the speakers on a non-shared wall (if so how much does that matter)? Can my neighbors still hear my speakers but haven't needed to complain? Am I worrying about nothing?

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

DIY Mini Pc BUT: Using a Framework Laptop Main PCB and a Thunderbolt Connected GPU

I am aware that many have asked by purchase messages if there would be another "Scrapyard wars" and the reply was "No, it has been explored". Perhaps there are 2 spins you could give on the subject:
1. Scrapyard wars with non-technical LTT members with Linus and Luke (and perhaps 1 or 2 others to form more than 2 teams) as technical advisors but only by a time limit. 30 minutes consulting time during the whole series, where they can only answer questions. So the players will have to think carefully about which topics they want consultancy: purchasing dilema's or building questions

2. Scrapyard wars with teenagers without any computer building experiance (I understand this would be hard to verify thoroughly), say kids around 14-16 years with Linus and Luke (and again perhaps more for multiple teams) as advisors. Not helping in building the computers, but providing more support and suggestions than at the first option.

Especially the 2nd option could give teenagers / young adults insights in what it challanges and choices can be made when building your first computer. Young adults and teenagers have been brought up in a world where computers might be seen as always around and always working and haven't experienced the learning curve/growth that people from age 35 and higher might had when they first ventured into the world of computer (gaming).

Linus Cat Tips video idea:

An in depth review of that self-cleaning litter box Jake has.

Channel super fun - Linus has Dennis "arrested" using all the "evidence" dennis filmed for CSF (Living in my bosses house etc.. ). At the end, its revealed to Dennis is a prank for CSF. 

Could you see if this amazon product is legit?

I found a rtx 3080 for $143, which seems too good to be true.

Here is a link to the product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096STQQSB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AAZRLVTNON75Z&psc=1

It would be great if you could review this product because I want to build my first gaming pc, and can't tell if this is legit or not, some help would be great.

Thanks

https://www.idn.axiooworld.com/pongo

Axio pongo. An assembled indonesian laptop. It use 3070 and using desktop cpu. You can choose 3 different cpu: i3 10100, i5-11400, and i7-11700.

The battery can be plug in and out like the old times.

What makes me wondered is the price is quite cheap. In indonesia it's only 14jt (around $700 to $800), where something similar spec would have like 20-25 jt (or around $1k to $1.5k). For those price for other import brand it would be only using rtx 3050. Because the price, I become doubt if the product is actually good or maybe not durable enough.

This the spec of the most expensive one 16jt (or around 800$). You can look at the link above too:
1. Intel® Core™ i7-11700

2. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

3. 16 GB Memory

4. 512 GB NVMe

Formula 1 haas gotten quite poular in the past few years and I think coverage of formula 1 technology would be very interesting. AMD sponsors Mercedes, Microsoft sponsors Alpine, Snapdragon sponsors ferrari and mercedes, dell + google + logitech sponsors McLaren, HP -> Red Bull, any chance for some sort of collaboration?

Coolest pcie x1/x4 accessories. Don’t say NIC/Sound card/USB expansion. 

Will linus and team do the review on all the board(z690 n z790)?

Best for value, best for performance, best overall, in really depth review covering all the criteria.

As we know, most of users comes with specific budget but really want to buy the best what the budget can buy, on specific type of their build.

2 minutes ago, dunprek said:

Will linus and team do the review on all the board(z690 n z790)?

Highly doubt, they don't really review motherboards anymore and even when they did they primarily just did top level overviews, not actual deep dive reviews. If you want actual board reviews, you want to more go to places like HardwareUnboxed, TechPowerUp, IgorsLabs, and Actually Hardware Overclocking as they all do actual in depth board tests and don't just read off a spec sheet like what LTT used to do. If you're hoping for the LTT Labs to do it, board reviews haven't been a listed priority for them, and even if it was they're still likely gonna take over a year to get fully up and running with everything, by that time Z890 or whaever they call it will probably be released and an LGA 1700 board roundup would be completely pointless. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

, IgorsLabs,

wasnt there some bias going on there? like Igor making biased reviews for more money, sponsors with false reviews etc?

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)